Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Duckman2008 posted:

I agree, I actually meant they could start capping 3G speeds on unlimited customers first. AT&T does (or did) a form of that already.

They already do if you are on a congested node and you are a high percentile user.

On another note, more docs have outed the Incredible 4G as a July 5th launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ETF'ing out of my old LTE hotspot plan and getting on the unlimited tethering plan with my Nexus was a seriously good idea. The connection is way more stable than the standalone Samsung LTE hotspot.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pulled the trigger on a pair of 32GB SGS3s to burn my last upgrade cycle.

Now let's see what happens with the RAZR HD.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

AlexDeGruven posted:

Pulled the trigger on a pair of 32GB SGS3s to burn my last upgrade cycle.

Now let's see what happens with the RAZR HD.

I just ordered one myself to use up my last upgrade as well. The current rumor on the Incredible 4G seems to be July 5th, so I might just try to exchange the SGS3 if that actually happens.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yay, I finally got my Razr back repaired.

I sent it in, waited, waited a bit more, finally called them and they said they never got it. I gave them my tracking number and a day later (21st) it popped up on their online tracker as received. The status is still sitting as opened but it arrived this morning. Now I just need to wait for the ICS push.

I'm looking forward to running some side by side LTE tests with the Galaxy Nexus.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

I'm assuming you're on a Razr/Maxx; if that's the case and you didn't already load one of the leaked ICS files, you can just run Matt's Utility 1.7 and return to stock--it'll install all the bloat back and you'll be fine.

Thank you! Used Matt's Utility last night at work and now I have ICS & root - very easy to use. This will come in handy, since a friend of mine has a Maxx and wants to be rooted with ICS as well.

Thank you again.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008
OTA ICS for RAZR and MAXX should be coming later this week, for those who don't want to root a new phone, or are still trying to make a decision.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

What numbers do I need off a Razr Maxx to activate it? I'm traveling for work tomorrow and my new phone is scheduled to be delivered to my house. I won't be home until Friday, at which point it will be too late to preserve my unlimited data. I can have someone pick up the package and get me the info I need, but that someone will probably be my my Mom, so I want to give her a heads up as to what she's going to be looking for.

Hopefully I can activate it without it being on my person. I'll be without a phone for a couple days, but I'll have my work issued Blackberry so I won't be completely disconnected.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LordOfThePants posted:

What numbers do I need off a Razr Maxx to activate it? I'm traveling for work tomorrow and my new phone is scheduled to be delivered to my house. I won't be home until Friday, at which point it will be too late to preserve my unlimited data. I can have someone pick up the package and get me the info I need, but that someone will probably be my my Mom, so I want to give her a heads up as to what she's going to be looking for.

Hopefully I can activate it without it being on my person. I'll be without a phone for a couple days, but I'll have my work issued Blackberry so I won't be completely disconnected.

Just the ESN number from the phone. Punch that in and press a view buttons on the phone and you'll be good to go.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes

LordOfThePants posted:

Activating after the 28th shouldn't matter anyway. There are plenty of people preordering the SIII to lock in their unlimited data. And several ordering iPhones to sell when a phone they want is released.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]

psychosockmonkee posted:

Activating after the 28th shouldn't matter anyway. There are plenty of people preordering the SIII to lock in their unlimited data. And several ordering iPhones to sell when a phone they want is released.

So if I preorder now, I can lock in my unlimited data for when it ships? Because if so, I'll just preorder the SGS3 instead of zipping around town looking for a Galaxy Nexus I can activate and then exchange within the exchange period.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People are saying that preordering activates your upgrade. It seems like Verizon doesn't care about activating phones on your plan, it cares about using your subsidized upgrade. So as long as you get your upgrade before the 28th, you should be good.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I peeled the plastic off the back of the Razr max. Is there plastic over the small rectangle where the camera, light, and speaker are? The edges are lighter than the middle.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I think I'm going the 4S then sell route. I don't care for SGS3. Verizon might let me exchange my 4S for the Incredible since it's only going to be released a week from the 28th.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Apparently verizon is doing away with the my verizon widget for the galaxy nexus? Any rhyme or reason? Seems pretty stupid. Gotta use #DATA now I guess. Is that a way for verizon to rope people into overages for not being able to visually see real time updates on their usage? Pretty low class. I've got unlimited so (I'm) not really effected by this, but pretty low class..

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
Okay, I just went ahead and got the Galaxy Nexus on the website anyway, because i like unskinned ICS way better than what i saw of touchwiz on my friend's t-mobile sgs3. It let me keep my data plan! And both phones are so far and above my Droid X, I doubt I'll be missing that performance by not getting the S3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cuedotnet posted:

Apparently verizon is doing away with the my verizon widget for the galaxy nexus?

It's not just the Galaxy Nexus, it's Android in general.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-discontinues-its-android-data-widget

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Does the iPhone 4S and Gnex both use the same micro sims and could I simply swap between the 2? Or am I going to have to get new sim cards each time I would want to switch between the phones?

I ask because going from my Thunderbolt to a Pre 2 (while I realize isn't a SIM phone) required me going to my local VZW store and getting a new SIM card to re-activate my Thunderbolt.

Edit: Looks like the answer is no

quote:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/VZAccess/4g_sim_card.html

Is my 4G SIM card compatible with any existing Verizon Wireless 3G device?

No, 4G SIM cards are only compatible with Verizon Wireless-Certified 4G devices.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 26, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I just talked to Verizon this morning about this very same topic. Apparently it's been a pretty popular topic for the reps, because she was actually quite knowledgeable about it all.

Basically: as long as you use your upgrade before Thursday, even if the phone doesn't ship, you're locked in. Using your upgrade, the terms are set when you accept the agreement, which is the important part. You won't be charged, and your contract date won't change until the phone ships, but it will activate with the terms you accepted when you ordered.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Well, I ordered my GNex last night. I stopped by the local store, and played with the Rezound and the Nexus, and decided to gamble on the Nexus. I also verified with the Rep that warranty issues will not affect my plan, but exchanging for a different device will. Also, stock ICS on my Xoom has been a better experience than either Gingerbread on my Inc or Sense on the Rezound.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I want to port my Google Voice number back into Verizon (I'm an iPhone user and there's a number of features that don't really work with GV, and the GV features aren't all that useful to me), but I still have over a year left on my contract. Can I just port it in right now or will I have to wait until my contract is up?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

So i just left verizon. Switched my Gnex for the Razr Maxx. While i found battery life to not be as bad as the internet seems to make it, i often have 16 hour work days, in which case it is a problem. And the speaker was horrible. While ill miss the display, i feel this was a mandatory switch. ICS should be any day now? Ill be happier in the long run i think.

Edit: after 2 weeks with ics, 2.3 hurts

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 26, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I got my Razr back from having the screen replaced yesterday and I have a feeling once ICS is pushed to it, it will be my daily driver again.

I popped the SIM into it for a bit and went grocery shopping at a store where I know I have marginal signal. The Galaxy Nexus drops it completely a few places in the store while my Razr at least holds on to a tiny bit of 3g.

Not only that, but holy hell is the touchscreen more responsive. I never noticed that when I switched from the Razr to the Galaxy Nexus, but using them back to back it's apparent.

Also, yes, the speaker. It will be nice having a phone where I can show videos to friends again and have them hear it.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Man I lucked out was paying my bill today and saw I was eligible for an upgrade, then thought about how my droid x has been acting funky so came to this thread, end result is I pulled the trigger on a galaxy S III so I can keep my unlimited plan. Those new rates are terrible.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Ever since yesterday my phone has refused to connect to anything but 1x, texts are sporadically not reaching me, and my phone keeps rebooting. Trying to find poo poo online for this has been a bitch, and im going crazy trying to find out if this is an isolated thing or if other people are experiencing it. I in San Diego and am using a Thunderbolt.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Beo posted:

Man I lucked out was paying my bill today and saw I was eligible for an upgrade, then thought about how my droid x has been acting funky so came to this thread, end result is I pulled the trigger on a galaxy S III so I can keep my unlimited plan. Those new rates are terrible.

You don't HAVE to switch to the family data plans, you can keep the 30 bucks for 2/4 gigs of data if you're on an individual plan.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
The more I think about this, the more disappointed I become.

$30 for unlimited data is high, now they want to double/triple the cost and reduce usage by an exponential amount? Goddamn verizon. We really need some competition.

Also, looks like I might be trading in my rezound - problems with 4g lately, it seems. Is this common for rezounds?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 26, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Also, looks like I might be trading in my rezound - problems with 4g lately, it seems. Is this common for rezounds?

never had a problem

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

The random signal drops on the nexus sure isn't exciting.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

cuedotnet posted:

ICS should be any day now? Ill be happier in the long run i think.

Edit: after 2 weeks with ics, 2.3 hurts

It should be very soon, like this week I'm pretty sure - the soak was this weekend, and I keep getting announcements for it on my maxx.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Welp, assumption of liability swaps are out of the picture past the 28th if you want to maintain your unlimited data.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Avoid-Dying-if-Your-Family-Likes-Verizon-Unlimited-Data-120095

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that on all lines? Like "This person died, you can either have all of your lines be on our assrape plan, or you can pay ETF?"

Potential new Verizon policy: Sneezing in the store will cause all of your lines to lose unlimited data.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

My only complaint so far about the RAZR MAXX is the time it takes to charge xD. This thing is an effing monster!

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Cojawfee posted:

Is that on all lines? Like "This person died, you can either have all of your lines be on our assrape plan, or you can pay ETF?"

I think it's just to prevent people from selling their lines with unlimited data for a profit.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

cuedotnet posted:

My only complaint so far about the RAZR MAXX is the time it takes to charge xD. This thing is an effing monster!

Obligatory what charger are you using? If you have a tablet charger that pumps out more than 1A, that can help out immensely.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I find just a typical wall plug USB type outlet is awesome for charging my normal razr and it charges incredibly fast. Computer based USB setups will take all drat day.

Also, root the phone and throw on SetCPU if you can manage it. I have mine set to go to 300MHz while the screen is off and it conserves battery so much. Not such a problem on the Maxx but it's nice to be able to actually use the phone all day. Prior to root / setcpu I'd often find myself with a phone with ~30% battery before going out or something after light use some of the day and it'd be dead before I knew it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

It's funny that the Razr Maxx is becoming so popular now. I wonder if it was overshadowed by the more flashy releases in the last few months that ended up not being as great as they seemed.

I'm very happy with it. I was able to browse the forums through an entire 6-hour conference and have plenty of battery life to spare and that more than justified the purchase. I wish the screen had a better resolution, but I stopped noticing most of the flaws that were obviously apparent coming from an iPhone 4.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vertigus posted:

It's funny that the Razr Maxx is becoming so popular now. I wonder if it was overshadowed by the more flashy releases in the last few months that ended up not being as great as they seemed.

I'm very happy with it. I was able to browse the forums through an entire 6-hour conference and have plenty of battery life to spare and that more than justified the purchase.

I wouldn't say it was overshadowed at all:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/12/analyst-motorolas-razr-maxx-outsells-iphone-4s-on-verizon-during-q2/

Turns out people want phones where the battery lasts more than 10 hours when you actually use it like a smartphone.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 27, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vertigus posted:

I think it has always been popular. It supposedly outsold the iPhone on Verizon in Q2.

Edit: drat beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
And with ICS is loving awesome. Looks just like stock ICS, and you can either uninstall or disable (disappears from app list) all the bloatware.

• Locked thread