Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm running mimicry now and I think it's very nice. It mostly works, though there's some oddness with voice commands where if I set an alarm sometimes it won't activate.

Yeah I'm at about 24 hours into Mimicry 1.01 and it's pretty nice. Only bugs I've encountered are the usual occasional graphic glitches which you fix by kicking whatever app out of memory, and wifi is sometimes slow to reconnect after being killed by juice defender.

Oh, Swiftkey 3 has a weird thing where it won't uncapitalize letters so you're stuck with Swiftkey X. Not a huge problem and I've already talked to my contact at Touchtype who says they're aware of the issue but can't really focus on it due to time and budgetary constraints.

Idle battery life is near zero drain too which I find hysterical. GPS locks on pretty quick, takes photos fine with no bugs, everything is nice and smooth with Apex. We'll see if it slows down in a week andwhatever else crops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The real issue with the Galaxy Nexus camera debacle is that it simply wasn't/isn't up to par with contemporary devices: iPhone 4S, Amaze 4G, Galaxy S II, etc., and now the One series and Galaxy S III. That's a pretty awful oversight.

Don't you get tired of posting Right Stuff?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Could somebody, in plain English, please tell me the significance/importance of Nandroid backups? All the answers from Google are in nerd talk. Thank you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Could somebody, in plain English, please tell me the significance/importance of Nandroid backups? All the answers from Google are in nerd talk. Thank you.
It's an exact copy of the state of your phone.

If something goes wrong, you can restore to exactly where you were before you hosed things up.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

LastInLine posted:

It's an exact copy of the state of your phone.

If something goes wrong, you can restore to exactly where you were before you hosed things up.

lmao. Thanks dude.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Slopehead posted:

Yeah I'm at about 24 hours into Mimicry 1.01 and it's pretty nice. Only bugs I've encountered are the usual occasional graphic glitches which you fix by kicking whatever app out of memory, and wifi is sometimes slow to reconnect after being killed by juice defender.

Oh, Swiftkey 3 has a weird thing where it won't uncapitalize letters so you're stuck with Swiftkey X. Not a huge problem and I've already talked to my contact at Touchtype who says they're aware of the issue but can't really focus on it due to time and budgetary constraints.

Idle battery life is near zero drain too which I find hysterical. GPS locks on pretty quick, takes photos fine with no bugs, everything is nice and smooth with Apex. We'll see if it slows down in a week andwhatever else crops up.
Thanks for taking the plunge on Mimicry for the rest of us Vision owners. :) I'm reading what you're writing and, if things wind up good for you in a week or two, will probably give it a shot myself. (or once he releases a new version, or one based on a CM9 RC)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I've been using mimicry from the day it was released, I think about a week now, and I concur with slopehead's assessment. It's pretty stable. UI response is much faster than Gingerbread, but loading times tend to be longer so you'll wait longer for your app to load up, but when it does it'll be nice and snappy. I imagine this has to do with the memory limitations of the device. It's similar to switching to a Sense rom from a stock rom.

The issues I've had with it are the alarm weirdness I mentioned earlier, and to occasional text corruption. It's only happened a couple of times and I fix it by doing a hot reboot which takes about 10 seconds.

It looks really good with the Sense 4 theme for CM9.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yeah although in pre-setup with Aroma installer you can configure Supercharger V6 to run, I'm not sure what settings he has for default. Hot reboots are quick and full reboots are sub 30 seconds which is pretty impressive. Browser response is pretty great too, though I'm using Boat Browser and not the stock. I'm not sure what or how much of a difference that really makes.

Battery life is pretty good all told. Zero idle drop without wifi on, about 2-3%/h with just wifi. I've had better battery stats running in the background and apparently AlarmManager (Android System) has been on for a while as a partial wakelock but it's not really effecting anything as far as I can tell.

All told I'm pretty drat impressed which is no mean feat. This is a far cry from the bugged out clusterfuck of the alpha days where poo poo was force closing left and right just because you breathed on it. I'd hold off on my suggestion for everyone to give it a shot for another week to see if it holds up as stable for daily use, however I'd tentatively say this is a rom and developer to keep an eye on.

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe
I know all the information is on the internet, but I just can't get to the bottom of the rooted android rabbit hole. XDA makes me feel like a retard. So don't be mad but I'm going to ask some questions that are probably simple and you're all going to laugh at me but I don't care. :colbert:

I have an EVO 3D. I also pay for TEP and don't want to permanently root my phone for fear that the intermittent screen error I'm currently getting becomes persistent and Sprint subsequently rejects my claim for having changed my software.

I want to root because I want the option of wifi tether. Specifically I want to install the SOS_M ROM.

Can anyone spell out exactly what's going to happen? Should I use HTCdev? Will it wipe my phone? Will I need S-OFF with hboot 1.50? I wanted to make a Nandroid of my phone as it currently sits but that requires root first. Help?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Tunafish posted:

I know all the information is on the internet, but I just can't get to the bottom of the rooted android rabbit hole. XDA makes me feel like a retard. So don't be mad but I'm going to ask some questions that are probably simple and you're all going to laugh at me but I don't care. :colbert:

I have an EVO 3D. I also pay for TEP and don't want to permanently root my phone for fear that the intermittent screen error I'm currently getting becomes persistent and Sprint subsequently rejects my claim for having changed my software.

I want to root because I want the option of wifi tether. Specifically I want to install the SOS_M ROM.

Can anyone spell out exactly what's going to happen? Should I use HTCdev? Will it wipe my phone? Will I need S-OFF with hboot 1.50? I wanted to make a Nandroid of my phone as it currently sits but that requires root first. Help?

I had my Inspire rooted long ago, and I had to send it in for repair because of touch screen malfunctions. I had someone at the workplace relock and bootloader and turn the S back on. The repair was successful. So there's always that option.

It terms of unlocking the bootloader via HTCdev.com, yes it will factory reset your device so back up your stuff

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
I have a rooted AT&T GSII running latest CM9. Looking for the recommended way to do WiFi tethering. And are they detectable by AT&T?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

calcio posted:

I have a rooted AT&T GSII running latest CM9. Looking for the recommended way to do WiFi tethering. And are they detectable by AT&T?

The answer for WiFi tethering is this. Always this: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether

Oddly enough, I'm 99% certain that's already packaged into CM9 as well.

It may end up being detectable if AT&T decides for some reason to do deep packet inspection on you. But for the most part, people get away with it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ProjektorBoy posted:

The answer for WiFi tethering is this. Always this: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether

Oddly enough, I'm 99% certain that's already packaged into CM9 as well.

It may end up being detectable if AT&T decides for some reason to do deep packet inspection on you. But for the most part, people get away with it.

I'm pretty sure ATT has been detecting that tethering method and have been slapping tether plans on people's accounts when they detect it.

Koush's clockwork tether was supposed to be the only undetectable tether solution, but it requires you to connect via USB.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I have a Sprint Nexus S running the CM9 nightlies. Can someone explain to me what exactly Deep Idle is under Advanced settings, and why or why not I would use it? I'm assuming it puts the phone into a deeper sleep than normal sleep for battery conservation, but whats the drawbacks?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ninmeister posted:

I have a Sprint Nexus S running the CM9 nightlies. Can someone explain to me what exactly Deep Idle is under Advanced settings, and why or why not I would use it? I'm assuming it puts the phone into a deeper sleep than normal sleep for battery conservation, but whats the drawbacks?

Uh, no drawbacks? Uses less power when idle, then it steps up to a higher frequency when you wake the device.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

nimper posted:

Uh, no drawbacks? Uses less power when idle, then it steps up to a higher frequency when you wake the device.

That sounds like what it does in "normal" sleep. I was more worried that it put it at such a low frequency that it would have issues waking up during an incoming call or something. I suppose the easy answer here is to just try it and see. Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ninmeister posted:

That sounds like what it does in "normal" sleep. I was more worried that it put it at such a low frequency that it would have issues waking up during an incoming call or something. I suppose the easy answer here is to just try it and see. Thanks.
That is exactly the risk.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

How do you fix what is apparently a screwed up battery? Battery calibrator shows that I have 3700 mV at 1%. That doesn't sound right. I've pressed the big old calibrate button at 100% 4170 mV.

Does my phone think the range is 3700 to 4170? If so, what can I do to get it to see the other 80% of my battery?

Galaxy nexus running AOKP b39 and Franco's kernel m4

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Cyanogen 9.0 RC1 has been released. I'll probably give it a try tonight.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/cyanogenmod-9-0-rc1

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is it possible to change the UDID on a rooted android device? I've seen this done with xcode/ ios SDK before but I've never seen it on an android.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

madkapitolist posted:

Is it possible to change the UDID on a rooted android device? I've seen this done with xcode/ ios SDK before but I've never seen it on an android.

Titanium Back up will randomly generate a new one, I think.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Xachariah posted:

How do you fix what is apparently a screwed up battery? Battery calibrator shows that I have 3700 mV at 1%. That doesn't sound right. I've pressed the big old calibrate button at 100% 4170 mV.

Does my phone think the range is 3700 to 4170? If so, what can I do to get it to see the other 80% of my battery?

Im no electrician but I think voltage can vary (that's a small voltage anyway-- 3.7-4.1 V), I think its the amperage that matters. IE If your battery was 2000 mAh and now its capacity is say 1800 mAh (milli amp hours). I also dont know what I'm talking about-- I've never used one of these apps.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Running Mimicry as well and I think it's pretty boss thus far.

What are some ideal overclock and processor settings for a G2 using the in-OS settings?

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe

Xachariah posted:

The power level of your battery should be given in mAh, not mV. The circuitry wants the voltage to stay the same for proper operation, so yours seems to work there. Beyond that, your voltage looks good according to this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1434070 .

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

After many attempts to root and install a custom ROM on my ancient T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream), I'm flabbergasted. Amazingly I have not managed to brick the phone yet, but here's where I stand:

I managed to root the phone and get some ancient custom ROM installed (JFv1.42_RC33), and I've set up DangerSPL, but I can't seem to get an updated version of Cyanogen to install (update-cm-5.0.8-DS-signed) properly. It tells me there's a script error and forces me to reboot out of Recovery mode. The current Kernel Version is 2.6.25-01843-gfea26b0, Build Number is kila-user 1.1 PLAT-RC33 126986 ota-rel-keys,release-keys. The Baseband version is 62.33.20.08H_1.22.12.29, Firmware version 1.1.

What steps should I take from this point to get to the most recent Cyanogen ROM that's compatible with the G1?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I recently got a galaxy nexus; I've been running stock but I am missing the cm mods I'm used to. Can I do a backup of the phone before rooting now that I'm ICS? Does ADB essentially do a nandroid?

edit. I've got the Galaxy Nexus ToolKit, this looks like the best way to root etc?

deong fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 27, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TheTarrasque posted:

After many attempts to root and install a custom ROM on my ancient T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream), I'm flabbergasted. Amazingly I have not managed to brick the phone yet, but here's where I stand:

I managed to root the phone and get some ancient custom ROM installed (JFv1.42_RC33), and I've set up DangerSPL, but I can't seem to get an updated version of Cyanogen to install (update-cm-5.0.8-DS-signed) properly. It tells me there's a script error and forces me to reboot out of Recovery mode. The current Kernel Version is 2.6.25-01843-gfea26b0, Build Number is kila-user 1.1 PLAT-RC33 126986 ota-rel-keys,release-keys. The Baseband version is 62.33.20.08H_1.22.12.29, Firmware version 1.1.

What steps should I take from this point to get to the most recent Cyanogen ROM that's compatible with the G1?
The most recent compatible CM version is 6. It runs on my test G1 just fine but I can't get to it right now to check things. Try downloading the CM6 version for your phone and verifying MD5, it sounds like you just have a bum download or one that was built incorrectly.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Insane Totoro posted:

Running Mimicry as well and I think it's pretty boss thus far.

What are some ideal overclock and processor settings for a G2 using the in-OS settings?

Leave it alone, the default settings are fine so far. If you must insist on screwing with anything, re-run Supercharger since it doesn't actually configure itself in initial setup despite what Aroma launcher says.

SuperchargerV6 select Download, put it on your sd card and run it with Scriptmanager (make sure to tick off SU when installing V6) off the Market. Run 512 Ledded (balanced). Poof, your ram levels are now tweaked for optimal performance. z00m z00m.

Edit:
Not bad for almost 3 hours screen on time and a weird inability to go fully into deep sleep mode.

\/\/\/ Hit me up on IRC when you can I think I figured out how to solve your issues installing ADB.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 27, 2012

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Okay got it. Thanks!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

deong posted:

I recently got a galaxy nexus; I've been running stock but I am missing the cm mods I'm used to. Can I do a backup of the phone before rooting now that I'm ICS? Does ADB essentially do a nandroid?

edit. I've got the Galaxy Nexus ToolKit, this looks like the best way to root etc?

A tool kit should do it. I dont quite remember what the process was but I do remember that it was very simple. I don't think you can do a nandroid before you unlock the bootloader + root it, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

A tool kit should do it. I dont quite remember what the process was but I do remember that it was very simple. I don't think you can do a nandroid before you unlock the bootloader + root it, though.
Yeah either the tool kit will include it or you can do it via ADB. Then unlock the bootloader which wipes, use ADB to restore, then finish rooting.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Jumping back into the fray - I saw some posts about the official ICS for SGH-i777. Currently running stock rooted 2.3.6, but have to upgrade to ICS to do some software testing and don't want to lose root unnecessarily.

So I'm contemplating my options. CM9 stable, or there appears to be a stock rooted ICS build - I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to play with these? Some light browsing of xda shows ok results but I may not be reading deeply enough and wanted to see if anyone here has had a chance to play with either?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Xachariah posted:

Firstly the callibrate button doesn't do anything... it's entirely a myth. All you are doing is deleting a file that android deletes anyway every time you top up to 100% and unplug your phone.

Now more importantly, voltage isn't a measure of capacity, it's more of an analogue to water pressure in pipes whereas current is comparable to the flow rate.

Basically that's very normal, most LiPo batteries output about ~4.2V when full and drop down to ~3.7 when empty... it's just how the chemistry of the reaction works. there is no missing 80% (specifically it does have a bit more in reserve but that's the minimum point that the battery can power devices and going much further can permanently damage the battery).

mAh, a measure of energy (current multiplied by time) is the value you should be interested in. A battery with a 1000 mAh rating can provide that much energy before the voltage (pressure) drops too low and it can no longer power the device and the battery risks damage.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm running the latest AOKP with Franco.Kernel M4 on my Galaxy Nexus - I'm looking for ways to improve my battery life. I've got the extended battery, and searching XDA results in 200 pages of "BATTERY LIFE IS SUBJECTIVE AND CAN BE DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE!" which I know. I'm just looking for good kernel/performance tweaks to hit the battery life sweet spot.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I recently installed RemICS on my samsung captivate; its CM9 based and I like it so far even though I disliked CM7. It was giving me a lot of problems installing no matter if I flashed my phone to stock or whatever roms and in the end the way I got it to work was to format /system before flashing. After the initial shock of not having samsung rom type features (like in contacts you can slide left or right to call/message) it seems pretty good so far. It doesn't seem to bloated with useless features (or overkill on lock screens) but it did come with a few apps that I removed. So far battery life seems pretty good and the only problem I ran into was gmail kept crashing. I uninstalled it and installed the latest version which fixed the problem.

I doubt anyone is still buying captivates but if you have one I suggest avoiding the following roms.
Cognition 5 v2 - the developer changed phones and doesn't update this. It has bugs and I had to reboot every couple days or it would act up.

SimplyStock KK4 - There are a few bugs such that may end up being fixed but what ruined it for me was having features that when enabled will screw up the phone. My roommate was messing with my phone and changed the lock screen AOSP which causes the laucher to crash over and over. Why even have the option to select it if it doesn't work?

My roommate finally decided he wanted to root and flash his phone. He has an HTC Thunderbolt and went with a desensed rom that had GPS lock problems and the fix was really bizarre. I was wondering if anyone knew how the fix worked? It required him to install an app called GPS Status, do a nandroid back up, flash a sense rom, get a GPS lock and reboot into recovery while locked, then nandroid recovery to the desensed rom.

Edit: The XDA forums don't let you post if the developer section if you have less than 10 post as its for 'technical people' with experience. Yet every other post is "dis rom is sick nasty!!!"

I was going to post about how no matter if I flashed stock KK4 to CornKernel (as recommended) or from stock Froyo to installing gingerbread with bootloaders how I could not get the rom to install correctly. I even followed the dev's post a few pages in to the T. In recovery it would quickly say its installing then reboot and hang at the kernel screen. Resulting in my seeing another ICS rom that said to format /system besides wiping data - which works. And to see if they were going to find a way to make changes to the contacts so you can slide left/right for call/message.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 27, 2012

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Weird. I just rooted my Gnex. Unlocked the bootloader etc. Checked superuser said it is working, but all my files are still here, despite the program telling me my stuff was going to get wiped.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Hmm, the app encryption in Jelly Bean is not going to be fun for rooted users, methinks...

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

My friend has a CDMA Xperia Play. It's nice that CM has a build for it, but I can't seem to find rooting instructions for it or anything. Any Ideas?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Experto Crede posted:

Hmm, the app encryption in Jelly Bean is not going to be fun for rooted users, methinks...

If you legitimately bought the app, you should be able to download it from the Play store, then restore your app data using Titanium Backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Lowen SoDium posted:

If you legitimately bought the app, you should be able to download it from the Play store, then restore your app data using Titanium Backup.

The issue is that for all intents and purposes, the same device with a new ROM appears to google as a new device. My sensation appears numerous times in my Google Music listings due to how often I swap ROMs.