Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Captain Foxy posted:

He's loving adorable, in all seriousness. Who doesn't love a big burly dude covered in tattoos (granted, they are of gay cats) who loves a kitty? Especially if he really really loves a kitty.

His ideas about cat shelving around the entire room of a house, daily playtime routines and 'don't pick the cat up if it does that' are stupidly simple, yet no one seems to put them in effect because hurr it's a cat it just lays around hurr. I hope the show gets as popular as Victoria's.

So... dating tip: get a kitty? Hmmmm.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23213406

That poor pug. :(

Edit: Assuming the mom was a pug, cuz I am too busy laughing at the idea of a pug mounting a pei, to take that idea seriously.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 26, 2012

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Honestly he just looks like an ugly shar pei to me. I doubt he really has any pug in him.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I can't help but imagine how farty that mix would be. Potent death farts everywhere. And so much wheezing.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
He looks like a perfect mix of pug/pei to me. Like if you asked someone to draw such a mutt that would be the result.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Today at the office I heard one of my coworkers talking about an adorable pit bull puppy he found and was considering keeping it, but "we're about to have a baby and I don't want the dog to eat it". Seriously. I thought people thinking pit bulls were baby eaters was a PI exaggeration :negative:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh my god, I am embarrassed. On our way through the off-leash dog play area in the park, there was a group of people hangin' out with their dogs. When Shadow is around other dogs, he has to be a macho dude and pee on something... and unfortunately the nearest thing was one of the poor, unsuspecting guys sitting on the curb... Luckily he was really cool about it and laughed it off. His friends aren't letting him live it down, though. But really, Shadow?! :gonk:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Today at the office I heard one of my coworkers talking about an adorable pit bull puppy he found and was considering keeping it, but "we're about to have a baby and I don't want the dog to eat it". Seriously. I thought people thinking pit bulls were baby eaters was a PI exaggeration :negative:

On the other hand, a friend of mine recently decided that since she hasn't been successful in becoming pregnant, she would get a pit bull puppy instead because she wanted a baby something. Oooookay.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

To be fair, I didn't start hoarding my rodent army until I was 3 months pregnant. Totally understand the want/need to nurture an animal when you're body's all hosed up on hormones, but I personally wouldn't get a puppy because if you end up spoiling and babying a puppy, bad things happen. :(

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
This guy's been at the shelter for couple weeks and he is such a sweetheart. Took him outside to a bit of lawn to brush him out with the BF, and he was totally chill the entire time while we took out his weight in fur. The picture doesn't do him justice – it looks like a hyena mane :3:.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Aravenna posted:

On the other hand, a friend of mine recently decided that since she hasn't been successful in becoming pregnant, she would get a pit bull puppy instead because she wanted a baby something. Oooookay.
I would much rather have a Pit Bull than a baby. I say good choice.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Skizzles posted:

Oh my god, I am embarrassed. On our way through the off-leash dog play area in the park, there was a group of people hangin' out with their dogs. When Shadow is around other dogs, he has to be a macho dude and pee on something... and unfortunately the nearest thing was one of the poor, unsuspecting guys sitting on the curb... Luckily he was really cool about it and laughed it off. His friends aren't letting him live it down, though. But really, Shadow?! :gonk:

Zoso's the same way. One time he pissed on my mother-in-law :smithicide: and she already dislikes animals.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Azrael Alexander posted:

I would much rather have a Pit Bull than a baby. I say good choice.

Oh I agree, but after months of hearing constant "I want a baby" talk, it was a little odd for her to suddenly decide on a puppy instead.

More people should choose puppies instead.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Yesssss I finally found a circular bike route that's Lola-safe (ie not having to be on many/busy roads). We went over the canal, along some quiet country roads, through a pretty nearby town, then back around to the house. It took an hour at a quick speed, and was probably about 6 miles.

She's finally starting to really pull when I'm biking too, which is awesome. I guess I ought to start looking for a bike attachment so she can pull without swinging in front of the bike too much.

A pair of old people stopped what they were doing when we went past and stared at us. They didn't look happy, I guess they thought I was ~forcing~ my terrier to do a thing.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Aravenna posted:

Oh I agree, but after months of hearing constant "I want a baby" talk, it was a little odd for her to suddenly decide on a puppy instead.

More people should choose puppies instead.

This is kinda e/n, but before I got pregnant with my son I'd had a miscarriage. After that happened and I wasn't getting pregnant again, I decided to quit looking at baby stuff and focus on GSD breeders instead. Practically the second I did that I got pregnant again. V :) V Who knows, the same thing could happen with your friend.

Or, she could jump the gun, get a puppy tomorrow, and THEN wind up pregnant...

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Skip the pregnant and just get a puppy? Have baby, not impressed, get puppy. The possibilities are endlessly full of puppies!

My baby is going to be adopted due to some really e/n circumstances, so I can't stop thinking about puppies. :(

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Fraction posted:

Yesssss I finally found a circular bike route that's Lola-safe (ie not having to be on many/busy roads). We went over the canal, along some quiet country roads, through a pretty nearby town, then back around to the house. It took an hour at a quick speed, and was probably about 6 miles.

She's finally starting to really pull when I'm biking too, which is awesome. I guess I ought to start looking for a bike attachment so she can pull without swinging in front of the bike too much.

A pair of old people stopped what they were doing when we went past and stared at us. They didn't look happy, I guess they thought I was ~forcing~ my terrier to do a thing.

I saw a man the other day biking along with a little JRT pulling like mad at the front. It's one of the more entertaining things I've seen in a long time, the dog was just so into it!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Apidae posted:

I saw a man the other day biking along with a little JRT pulling like mad at the front. It's one of the more entertaining things I've seen in a long time, the dog was just so into it!

Whenever I'm out with Lola on the bike, people often smile at us (and kids outright point/laugh). There is something just too cute about a small dog doing its best to be a big biking buddy :3:

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Oh Luna, way to make me feel like a horrible person. I have to catch my flighty cat to give her meds and the best way to do it is herd her into an upstairs bedroom. Today she was meowing her piteous "don't eat me" meow before I was even halfway up the stairs.

(All this for a dental problem they diagnosed last year but then Fred was such a nightmare after Luna got checked everyone forgot about it and her teeth never got cleaned. Now I have a whole month of herding to do.)

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
My girlfriend made an awesome quilt for her mother's birthday and wanted a picture of it before she gave it to her.

Tycho, however, very much wanted to be a part of this special occasion:

Come on, Tycho, move....

No Tycho, that's not far enough, you're still in the frame.

Still in the way but he's SO drat HAPPY TO BE

Oh well... airplane ears time!!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

To follow up on earlier post: we went out again for a nice, half hour (nearly 3.5 mile) bike ride. I attached my jogging belt leash to the bike frame and let her really pull. I think she enjoyed it :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QTo24WVzhs

Now I'm looking at getting a bikejor attachment and leash so that she can pullpullpull without the risk of getting the leash caught on the wheel if she suddenly stops, but christ they're expensive.

I'm sure there's some way I can DIY something up, any ideas?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did someone say bikejor? Why yes, I do still follow this thread! :v:

So Ooka's a bit bigger than Lola, but I went through a couple generations of gear and had varying success throughout.

Starting off, I already had skijoring equipment: a belt for me to wear, a bungie lead with a static tug line, and a harness for Ooka (H-style, pulls from further up his back, good with a shorter lead at a steeper angle.)

Using that on the bike was fairly straightforward: I just put on my harness, ran the line over top the middle of the handlebars, and out to the dog. It wasn't attached to the bike at all, and I could easily manipulate the line with one hand if I needed to, for either straightening things out, keeping it up off the wheel, etc.

Last year, I started looking at rigs, and wasn't really finding what I wanted, so I made one. Using a couple bars of aluminum, I made a piece that went on either side of the bar of my bike, and stuck out in front about 3/4 of the over the front wheel. I used an old inner tube slid over the bars to pad it on the bar of the bike so it wouldn't scratch, and did the same for the hose clamps I used to hold the whole assembly on.

I drilled three holes in each bar, put a 1" spacer between them, and ran bolts through them all to hold it together. Then, I fed the tug line through the bars, using the spacers as guides, and clipped it to the front of the bike. Note that this involved the static tug line being at the bike end: usually that part attaches to the dog and the bungie goes at the human-end.

It worked fine, but has its drawbacks: for one, the bar points in the direction of the chassis, not the wheel. This can be annoying if the dog isn't running straight, since it bends the flimsy aluminum fairly easily. Also, the whole thing was semi-permanent. While I drilled no holes in the bike, removing it was a huge hassle.

Comparing the two methods (free-floating line attached to me vs. line attached directly to bike) I have to say that when it comes to managing the line, the latter (attached to the bike with a guide bar out front) is superior by far. However, when it comes to stability and the dog not yanking you off the path into a ditch when he sees a rabbit or deer, having the line attached directly to your hips is really nice. Imagine standing on stilts, it's much easier to maintain control if someone pushes you body, vs. if someone pushes a stilt. Your brain is already engineered to account for forces applied directly to your person, less so for equipment you're riding.

For Lola, being as small as she is, you probably have less to worry about with being pulled off your bike. Also less trouble from a bent bar out front (the "pro" ones are usually on springs, which alleviates this issue), so maybe that's a good option.

In the end, I think the whole thing cost maybe $10-$15 in parts.

Here's a picture, maybe it'll give you some ideas.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Bad Munki posted:

Did someone say bikejor? Why yes, I do still follow this thread! :v:

In the end, I think the whole thing cost maybe $10-$15 in parts.

Well I gotta say, the £ equivalent of $10-15 is a lot cheaper than the £30 attachments and £25 leashes I've been looking at!

Is the harness Lola's wearing in the video okay for pulling when biking? When she's in it and pulling, it looks like it's directing all the pressure to her chest/breastbone, which is where a correct harness (x or h back) should be pressuring, I think. I'm reluctant to drop £30ish on a proper harness if this one will work.

Could you go into more detail (maybe in the dog sports thread) about how to make the lead-out bar? I can't quite figure out how you've done it. I guess I'd need to find some aluminium, too.

I have a jogging belt + bungee-style leash (that I was using today), which could be helpful. I never thought of attaching the leash to my waist and over the bars. Not sure if it'd be quite long enough though.

And no, I certainly don't have to worry about Lola yanking me off the bike. She's already learned the 'we do not chase animals when biking unless we want the brakes slammed on and to get hollered at' lesson, and we're working on the 'we do not chase other dogs when biking' lesson. But she's tiny so who cares!

I did just read something saying that dogs under 30lbs aren't really appropriate for bikejoring. Because little dogs can't pull a thing I guess :rolleyes:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, I recently moved and before that, I swapped that bike out for a newer, lighter, more general-purpose one, so I pulled the assembly off, but I think it might have come with us in the move and is just buried in the garage somewhere. I'll take a look today and see if I can get some better pictures for you.

As for the harness, it's hard to tell, but if she's comfortable pulling, and being such a small dog, it's probably fine. I suspect it's a lot harder for a lower-mass/strength dog to damage herself by pulling, although with time and persistence, anything is possible. I'd say just keep an eye on it and if you see spots wearing in her fur or anything, find an alternate solution, or ease up.

Oh, also, if you can find any non-paved trails, do so. For long runs, running on pavement can be really hard on the dog's feet, and it can be made much worse if they're actively pulling, since the pressure and impact and friction are all increased. Forest trails are really good, and are also fun for zipping through in your wolf-pack-of-two. :)

And in regards to appropriateness...meh. Maybe she's not appropriate in that she can't be the sole source of power pulling your bike, a little four-legged engine, but if the point is more "you can run as fast as we can go and you can pull as hard as you want and oh by the way feel free to exhaust yourself," any dog will do. :)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 26, 2012

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Golden-i posted:

My girlfriend made an awesome quilt for her mother's birthday and wanted a picture of it before she gave it to her.

Holy crap I love that quilt! I have been considering trying out quilting for a while now and that pushed me over the edge. I don't entirely know how quilting works, but did your girlfriend use some sort of pattern for that?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

All I can ever think of when skijoring or bikejoring is brought up is that scene in What's the Worst That Could Happen where William Fichtner tells his trio of small fluffy dogs, "Pull Daddy like a chariot!"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RazorBunny posted:

All I can ever think of when skijoring or bikejoring is brought up is that scene in What's the Worst That Could Happen where William Fichtner tells his trio of small fluffy dogs, "Pull Daddy like a chariot!"

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

cryingscarf posted:

Holy crap I love that quilt! I have been considering trying out quilting for a while now and that pushed me over the edge. I don't entirely know how quilting works, but did your girlfriend use some sort of pattern for that?

She made it up, no pattern :3: super talented lass, that one. This is definitely a complicated quilt, but the real kicker is that she made it out of old fabric (t-shirts that didn't fit anymore and whatever else we had lying around) so she didn't have to spend a penny.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Golden-i posted:

She made it up, no pattern :3: super talented lass, that one. This is definitely a complicated quilt, but the real kicker is that she made it out of old fabric (t-shirts that didn't fit anymore and whatever else we had lying around) so she didn't have to spend a penny.

Next time she should make a corgi quilt! I found this shop on spoonflower and now I am longing to sew a nerdy dog quilt but I have zero time to finish the quilt I started 3 years ago so I probably shouldn't start a new one.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Next time she should make a corgi quilt! I found this shop on spoonflower and now I am longing to sew a nerdy dog quilt but I have zero time to finish the quilt I started 3 years ago so I probably shouldn't start a new one.

I'm currently working on a quilt I started when I was 8. Nerdy dog quilts might have to wait for me :saddowns:.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Bad Munki posted:

I'll take a look today and see if I can get some better pictures for you.

As for the harness, it's hard to tell, but if she's comfortable pulling, and being such a small dog, it's probably fine. I suspect it's a lot harder for a lower-mass/strength dog to damage herself by pulling, although with time and persistence, anything is possible. I'd say just keep an eye on it and if you see spots wearing in her fur or anything, find an alternate solution, or ease up.

Oh, also, if you can find any non-paved trails, do so. For long runs, running on pavement can be really hard on the dog's feet, and it can be made much worse if they're actively pulling, since the pressure and impact and friction are all increased. Forest trails are really good, and are also fun for zipping through in your wolf-pack-of-two. :)

And in regards to appropriateness...meh. Maybe she's not appropriate in that she can't be the sole source of power pulling your bike, a little four-legged engine, but if the point is more "you can run as fast as we can go and you can pull as hard as you want and oh by the way feel free to exhaust yourself," any dog will do. :)

Thanks, I appreciate it!

With the harness, I will just keep an eye on her. It doesn't seem to be rubbing any of her fur off, and she's not wheezing like she does when she's pulling like crazy on a flat, so I assume it's not putting (too much) pressure on her neck. If we start doing it for longer rides I'll think about getting a proper harness for her. There's not many people that will actually make them for anything smaller than a husky though. Primitive dawg elitism :mad:

There's no forest trails near here, unfortunately. It's all sheep countryside, so country roads/canal/fields. I don't take her on the road much though, since I bet asphalt is even tougher on dog limbs than pavement. My bike isn't great on grass other than just-mowed. Given the choice (on a half grass, half pavement path) Lola always chooses the pavement though :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's true. We aren't going to do this competitively or anything, and I am more than able to pedal my own bike, so who cares really!

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Fraction posted:

I'm sure there's some way I can DIY something up, any ideas?
Here's one that looks pretty darn good:
http://harriha.1g.fi/kuvat/Bikejoring/

Is your harness a fleece padded Trixie? Or just like one of those anyway? If it is I'd speculate that for a smaller dog that might be the best bet actually, if the fit is good in general. She's so short that a lead, which is still a reasonable length, comes at such an angle that an actual x-back might not perform well.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Riiseli posted:

Is your harness a fleece padded Trixie? Or just like one of those anyway? If it is I'd speculate that for a smaller dog that might be the best bet actually, if the fit is good in general. She's so short that a lead, which is still a reasonable length, comes at such an angle that an actual x-back might not perform well.

Yeah, it is one of them (from here). I didn't think about how the x back might not work, considering her height.

That bike attachment looks cool, though I have no idea how they did parts of it.

E:
Whilst looking for bikejoring videos on youtube, I found something amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ZlXquqU8g

Why isn't Lola big enough to do this for me :saddowns:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 26, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Riiseli posted:

I like that design, looks pretty good, and simple. Flexes down when the dog pulls so it's in line and not bearing any load, and when the dog eases off, it lifts the line up away from the tired.

I looked through my garage and can't find the old rig, it must not have survived the move. I may build one like that instead.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Munki posted:

Well, I recently moved and before that, I swapped that bike out for a newer, lighter, more general-purpose one, so I pulled the assembly off, but I think it might have come with us in the move and is just buried in the garage somewhere. I'll take a look today and see if I can get some better pictures for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qcCXc4Cvd8&feature=plcp
This stays relevant

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

One of my most intense bikejoring workouts, I gotta admit.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Super, you know what must be done.

vvvvv Exactly. :colbert: vvvvv

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 26, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A Moses-bearing chariot pulled by Frankie? :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So, I was scratching Ires's back and she was all about it, wriggling around and kicking her foot and stuff.

I pulled back a whole handful of fluffy undercoat hair. :gonk: Noooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I'd rather harness them both to the chariot, with Frankie in front of Moses, and just point at Frankie and tell Moses to get it.

• Locked thread