Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Esposito posted:

(HoC) I haven't read it for a while, but the book definitely mentions the guy raping Scillara cumming in her as he dies. After the big deal they'd made about children of the dead seed in the previous book, it really felt that is where they were heading with it.

just looked it up (BH) page 401 according to my kindle. chicks from barathol's village talking about the babby came out blue as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007
I've been rereading the series before doing TCG. I've gotten to MoI, and there's a section where they discuss the geography of Capustan. They mention how strange the Prince's palace seems, as if it were built long ago. Is it a K'Chain Che'melle building, or does it somehow get explained later?

I'm finding the re-read very rewarding, and it's easier to read a lot/see forshadowing. What's most interesting to me is the ability to see the evolution of the series and the direction Erikson took it throughout the series. Book 1 clearly looked as though it was going to be going in such a different direction, and Book 2 did as well. 3 seems to be where TCG really makes his debut, and you see focus shift there.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Sometimes you have to go against your family to save the world.

I just got up to the part where he talks about Karsa Orlong and the idea of the noble savage, which I believe was addressed in this thread a while back.

quote:

Sorry to go on like this, but one of the tropes of fantasy that annoyed us was the noble barbarian, and without question we addressed it in what we believed was a more realistic, less romanticized fashion, in the Malazan universe. The first quarter of House of Chains, my fourth novel, evokes my take on the whole subject of the barbarian, and in so doing plays against the noble savage cliche, and cultural and moral relativism.

Having said that, resistance against civilization is not in itself a bad thing, and the character Karsa Orlong (a ‘barbarian’) evokes this argument throughout the series (and will get his own trilogy in a few years, since I’m not yet done with that debate).

Yeah, I think he's confirming what we already knew.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I'm most of the way through Dust of Dreams, and I still don't know what the gently caress's going on with the snake, who they are, and where they came from, and why the assail, who've been set up to be the most badass loving things ever are just dropping dead.

My patience with the series has waned during this book, and I'm getting to the point where I'm just reading it to finish it. I started the series before Christmas, so there's no way I can't finish it now, but all I really want is more Karsa, dead army, Ganoes, and Che Malle perspective stories. To me, it seems like the series started out pretty somber (and was great), then got really funny (and was still great), then dropped the humor and started getting retardedly philosophical.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

unprofessional posted:

I'm most of the way through Dust of Dreams, and I still don't know what the gently caress's going on with the snake, who they are, and where they came from, and why the assail, who've been set up to be the most badass loving things ever are just dropping dead.

The whole snake could've been cut out imho, but who they are :They're children cast out from Kolanse where the Assail have taken over, sent into the glass desert. Dont remember Assail just dropping dead youd have to be more specific.

There's lots of stuff that should've been cut out in the last couple books, monologues from characters that just meander on and on and bore me to tears, but honestly just stick to the end, the end is amazing in Dust of Dreams as it is in most malazan books.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I've been reading the quitters as assail, and they mentioned losing a number of them, but not really explaining why, or why they're not just slaughtering the kids, aside from "the power of WORDS," which I don't understand either.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

unprofessional posted:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I've been reading the quitters as assail, and they mentioned losing a number of them, but not really explaining why, or why they're not just slaughtering the kids, aside from "the power of WORDS," which I don't understand either.

DoD You're half right. The "quitters" the Snake refer to are Inquisitors, which certainly have some characteristics and abilities of Assail. You can probably figure out that the Assail "power" is in their voice. RAFO on that. A really minor piece of trivia from the beginning of TCG: Inquisitors are not full-blood Assail. Half-bloods do have some power in their voice but it's nowhere near pure Assail power.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

IncendiaC posted:

DoD You're half right. The "quitters" the Snake refer to are Inquisitors, which certainly have some characteristics and abilities of Assail. You can probably figure out that the Assail "power" is in their voice. RAFO on that. A really minor piece of trivia from the beginning of TCG: Inquisitors are not full-blood Assail. Half-bloods do have some power in their voice but it's nowhere near pure Assail power.
I'm probably wasting my time mentioning this (it seemed obvious to me anyway, even if it's incorrect), but I'm fairly sure the "quitters" are the childish misunderstanding of "quieters". The Assail use voice and sound power, so quieting is doubly appropriate to refer to them genociding people.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
I'm just finishing up The Bonehunters, and I have to say, god drat the last 1/10 of this book where everything is just coming together one after the other after the other after the other is loving AMAZING. Seriously the coolest poo poo I think I've ever read. My jaw was seriously on the ground for like, the last 200 or so pages.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
OST Spoiler/questions: Why dont the Moranth ever use the big badass rocket launchers and the other more powerful weapons that we hear about in Bonehunters? Doesnt make sense to run into an army of Seguleh with only sharpers.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Infinite Karma posted:

but I'm fairly sure the "quitters" are the childish misunderstanding of "quieters". The Assail use voice and sound power, so quieting is doubly appropriate to refer to them genociding people.

How would they get those mixed up? They only look vaguely similar in writing, not in sound or meaning.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

the least weasel posted:

How would they get those mixed up? They only look vaguely similar in writing, not in sound or meaning.
They are illiterate nine-year-olds? The only difference is how you pronounce the similar vowel sound. Kids also say pisketti instead of spaghetti.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Quiters - Inquisitors always made more sense to me.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Just finished Orb Scepter Throne. Without getting into a lot of the events that transpired, I'll just say simply that it's the best ICE book by a lot, and I agree with others in the thread who said it's one of the top 5 Malazan books period. I liked Toll the Hounds overall but my appreciation for the book has shot up after reading OST and seeing how some of the "unnecessary" plotlines got folded in. The characters are pretty dead-on from Erikson's writing, and Antsy's dungeon crawl is definitely the highlight of the book imo.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I just finished The Bonhunters.

What a hell of a way to end the book. I think that was one of the best endings so far.

Who exactly was Bottle sent out to find? Cartheron Crust and the 3 Andii wraiths? One wraith was the one that was talking to Rhulad's slave and "hiding in his shadow."

There was a thought by Apsalar earlier in the book about Whiskeyjack possibly being part of a cult that worshipped Hood, and that Dunsparrow, his sister, was taken away from Hood, and Hood had intervened with Whiskeyjack by making him continually refuse to mend his lend. Was Hood's bargain with Ganoes part of that, and that's why Quick Ben went wide-eyed when he heard it?

Speaking of Apsalar, after she got to Pearl, Shadowthrone comments that he watched her shadowdance, and that it had even surpassed that of Cotillion. I'm guessing that's not the last we see of her talents.

What exactly did the Eres'al do to Icarium? She just touched him and knocked him out. And she had been possessing T'Amber the entire time? What is Grub that he can see and know these things.

During Fiddler's game, he knew how everything would play out, didn't he. And then his song/music during the fighting had something to do with that, omething to do with the Tanno Spiritwalker from way back (Deadhouse Gates, I think, at least I think it was Fiddler got the gift from him). And how did Trull suddenly become the Knight of Shadow? If anything, I really thought Kalam would've gotten that role.
Kalam is in the Azath now, so we'll see what happens there.

How exactly did the Empire come to turn against the Wickans? That's the one big issue I don't understand in this entire novel. What has Laseen let happen with the empire, as it's gone to complete poo poo?

Sorry for the lack of structure to the questions, I just typed as things came to mind. How everything came together was really good, and I really enjoyed this book.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

pakman posted:

I just finished The Bonhunters.

How exactly did the Empire come to turn against the Wickans? That's the one big issue I don't understand in this entire novel. What has Laseen let happen with the empire, as it's gone to complete poo poo?

Mallick Rel happened. Read RotCG next and all will be revealed.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I just finished reading Orb Sceptre Throne so now I've read read every single book so far published. I certainly appreciate that the stories and characters remain coherent between both Erikson and Esselmont books.

I understand that the next book will tell event on Jackaruku, can't wait to see what's next. I'd love to see more for the post TCG events though.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

For the people discussing how (BH) the marines and people caught up to the Bonehunters after Y'Ghatan, they would have left by boat before the stragglers could have reached them if Grub hadn't suggested to Keneb to wait, and Keneb hadn't ordered his soldiers to stop loading equipment.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah I read books. posted:

Oh man a Karsa trilogy will be amazing!

WITNESS.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Kazanir posted:

WITNESS.
I'd witness a Karsa/Torvald Nom reunion scene if those bastards would only put one in the drat books!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Illuyankas posted:

I'd witness a Karsa/Torvald Nom reunion scene if those bastards would only put one in the drat books!

I want more Ublala Pung in the upcoming Karsa trilogy just as much as this.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well I'm rereading Gardens of the Moon and noticed something that doesn't make sense to me. Full series spoiler concerning Dessembrae: When Kruppe is reading in Mammot's study, looking for references of the five black dragons in Moon's Spawn, he comes across a passage describing the fall of the Crippled God which lists all of the ascendants who attended the event. Among them is Dessembrae, and a few of the chapter intros refer to or otherwise describe Dessembrae in a way that makes it clear he's been around for a while. Now, Toll the Hounds confirms Traveller as Dassem Ultor and Dust of Dreams confirms Dessembrae as Traveller... so how can it be possible that Dessembrae was at the Crippled God's fall, which was presumably hundreds of years before Dassem's "assassination?"

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

That was probably "chaining" and not "fall", and there have been multiple chainings, at least one recently.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Reading the passage it doesn't sound like it. It's at the beginning of Chapter Twelve for reference:

Gardens of the Moon posted:

...and in the Calling Down to earth the God was Crippled, and so Chained in its place. In the Calling Down many lands were sundered by the God's Firsts, and things were born and things were released.

Kruppe describes the tome as ancient too.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Reading the passage it doesn't sound like it. It's at the beginning of Chapter Twelve for reference:

Kruppe describes the tome as ancient too.

It could just be a Gardens-of-the-Moon-ism, or there could have been a different Dessembrae (since that is more a title meaning "Lord of Tears" or whatever) and Dassem's ascended "portion" replaced him or something. Betting on GotMism though.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

NovemberMike posted:

That was probably "chaining" and not "fall", and there have been multiple chainings, at least one recently.

I'm pretty sure the fall was in the hundred-thousand year range, not the hundreds. But Dessembrae is one of the more confusing chronological beings. He's probably sort of like the various gods of war - one falls by the wayside and another one takes his place.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
Can someone please assure me that Reaper's Gale will get better? I just started book 2 and it feels like I've hit my first actually wall with the series. I was seriously tearing them up and now I just pick RG up to read for 5 - 10 minutes and can't get any further. Is this just me? I don't know what it is, but it just seems kind of different from what I'm used to, if that makes any sense.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
RG is pretty boring in the beginning for sure, moreso than the earlier Malazan novels. You've also got your typical Erikson convergence at the end so it'll be worth it if you power through it.

Unfortunately starting from RG, the last 4 MBotF novels have pretty slow starts so this will give you a taste of whats to come.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

I'm pretty sure the fall was in the hundred-thousand year range, not the hundreds. But Dessembrae is one of the more confusing chronological beings. He's probably sort of like the various gods of war - one falls by the wayside and another one takes his place.

I understood that Dassem/Traveller and Dessembrae aren't entirely the same being. In one of the later books, the Errant has a meeting with some other elder gods and Dessembrae is among them. He states something along the lines that Dessembrae's mortal half is out there wandering the world and then some other stuff that I dont remember anymore. Maybe Traveller is like an Avatar or something.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Dessembrae always confused the poo poo out of me.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
I sorta thought of him like Nightchill - a god who appeared as a mortal along the ages.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I think is in TCG we found out how Daseem became a god, the Imass started to "worship" him. Maybe that's why he fits in with the elders?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah I read books. posted:

Can someone please assure me that Reaper's Gale will get better? I just started book 2 and it feels like I've hit my first actually wall with the series. I was seriously tearing them up and now I just pick RG up to read for 5 - 10 minutes and can't get any further. Is this just me? I don't know what it is, but it just seems kind of different from what I'm used to, if that makes any sense.

I struggled through the first part of Reaper's Gale, but there's a point where poo poo gets real and it becomes a great read.

The bit that got me was the jailors discussing philosophy. By that point in the series it's all anybody at any level of society discusses. "So I was just torturing this woman to death and I was suddenly struck by the realization that Jean-Paul Sartre's famous trilogy 'Rues ŕ Liberté is an allegory of man's search for commitment."

But yes, there's a point where the book redeems itself and it's a fun read from there on in.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 29, 2012

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The bit that got me was [insert nearly any character here] discussing philosophy.

Fixed that that one sentence, it is Erikson's greatest flaw in the later books. So much of that could be cut out and none of it would be missed.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The philosophizing is something I can generally look past in the series. While it does result in some bloat, I'm alright with it because I could always skim when it was getting a bit much. It didn't seem to effect the speed at which Erikson released a book, which he does at a pretty good pace, and I always got the impression that he knew where he wanted to take his story and his characters. Erikson's climaxes are honestly well worth putting up with it, to me at least. Frankly, I'd rather deal with the philosophy :words: than Erikson be a directionless poo poo with no work ethic like Martin.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hondo82 posted:

Fixed that that one sentence, it is Erikson's greatest flaw in the later books. So much of that could be cut out and none of it would be missed.
It functioned very effectively as a sort of Greek Chorus, I'm sorry you're not familiar with the plot device.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
After starting Dust of Dreams 3 times without being able to make any headway into it, I picked up Return of the Crimson Guard and read half of it yesterday.

So much less philosophizing and more action is definitely making this easier to read even if it did take me a couple hours to be able to keep the characters straight.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

coyo7e posted:

It functioned very effectively as a sort of Greek Chorus, I'm sorry you're not familiar with the plot device.

It doesn't work well at all but definitely keep up the smug

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

It doesn't work well at all but definitely keep up the smug

Emptyquoting is frowned upon but god drat is this just about the right approach to bullshit introspective rambling in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Civilization is but a fleeting sensation... to the great goddess Burn we barely register as a tickle across her flesh.

-Corporal Lambchopz