Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

USDA Choice posted:

According to [citation needed] Skidamarink was from a 1910 musical. :colbert:

I'm not sure about that, but it was also a summer camp song by the 1930s or 40s too, my grandparents know it.
Yeah, a musical written by Hess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So the answer was they'd wait until about 2pm to cancel this time. All my afternoon classes are cancelled.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Spanish Matlock posted:

So the answer was they'd wait until about 2pm to cancel this time. All my afternoon classes are cancelled.
Yeah, because the typhoon is finally startin' up now; fingers crossed my A/C installation got fixed so my ceiling doesn't leak this time.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Well, at least they're consistent, I guess.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 20, 2012

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I just got back from work. They combined all of the classes for today into the same two hour block so they could give us a half day.

Just in time cause I went straight to the supermarket after that, and it was already turning into a mob seen of old people trying to stock up on food.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Well after six or so beers into this typhoon day, I have to say, good show Taipei city government I guess we'll call this one a success.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So is it raining somewhere else? I was sent home early today and I'm pissed that I've missed like 2 hours of paychecks in the last week.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I think it's raining worse in Tainan now that the typhoon has passed. The time when it was floating on by was actually the chillest part of the day.

Still, it's nowhere like typhoon-level rain. Just normal rain-rain. Think I'm gonna go take my dog out for a walk in it in a little while.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Got back from work an hour ago (I'm in Taipei). They canceled classes after 7pm, which was 1 single class at my branch, and not mine.

Walked home with my umbrella closed because it wasn't raining at all.

Sweet tropical storm so far.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

Well after six or so beers into this typhoon day, I have to say, good show Taipei city government I guess we'll call this one a success.

Just polished off a bottle of wine :) :hellyeah:

There was a pretty gnarly electrical storm here in Taichung earlier, and now the wind is really starting to pick up. I wouldn't call it typhoon level at this point, but I could see how things might get worse later. I think canceling class last week for "heavy rains" might have been a bit much outside of flood areas (I'm from Washington state and thats how we always did things there), but I could see why they didn't want to risk it this week.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

HappyHelmet posted:

There was a pretty gnarly electrical storm here in Taichung earlier, and now the wind is really starting to pick up. I wouldn't call it typhoon level at this point, but I could see how things might get worse later. I think canceling class last week for "heavy rains" might have been a bit much outside of flood areas (I'm from Washington state and thats how we always did things there), but I could see why they didn't want to risk it this week.
Better to be cautious here; last week's rain did a pretty good job of royally loving poo poo up, and it wasn't even a typhoon.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

Better to be cautious here; last week's rain did a pretty good job of royally loving poo poo up, and it wasn't even a typhoon.

Was it really that bad? I don't live in Taipei (and refuse to watch local news) so its hard to judge. It seemed like a few isolated areas had bad flooding and the rest of Taipei was fine.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, but it won't be poo poo for us, just a bit of rain and lovely weather.

So probably better than this week.

e: Also

tineye why must you fail me so!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

HappyHelmet posted:

Was it really that bad? I don't live in Taipei (and refuse to watch local news) so its hard to judge. It seemed like a few isolated areas had bad flooding and the rest of Taipei was fine.

It took me in over an hour to get from Xinzhuang to Neihu. Most days i can make that journey in 45, without racing (too hard). That 45 includes ample time to drop off the gf, and maybe grab a pack of smokes.
Most of the journey that day was me scootering forward in 1-3M increments.

Basically every drain on the sidewalk/road was overflowing creating giant puddles 3-4inches deep and around 3meters in length and a metre or two into the traffic. Obviously as a driver/scooter rider, what we needed to do in this situation, was stop and look and pass comment with all passers by. Where water was flowing off the overpasses, again, we should stop and comment.

Occasionaly somebody should speed thru the puddle ensuring that everybody who isn't soaked takes a bath.

I do enjoy seeing someone scoot through a deep puddle only to have the bike conk out half way through. I'm not sure of a mechanical reason why, but i'm going to assume that the rubber seals on spark-plugs don't hold up so well due to the weather conditions here.

I'm not sure if whole bridges were closed, but the route I normally use was down to one lane in most places - so yeah bottlenecks were commonplace.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

HappyHelmet posted:

Hey how is the wine in Taiwan? I know whiskey is cheap plentiful and decent, and I know Taiwan beer is fizzy piss for the most part, but I love booze and I want to know what kind of booze I will be drinking lots of TIA.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't drink wine myself, but I see wine stores with large varieties in most of the shopping districts of Taipei. Also, my friend is quite satisfied with the selection Costco has to offer.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

Hey how is the wine in Taiwan? I know whiskey is cheap plentiful and decent, and I know Taiwan beer is fizzy piss for the most part, but I love booze and I want to know what kind of booze I will be drinking lots of TIA.
I remember years back, I went to Hualian and there was a Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor showroom there and my friend's mom, maybe because it sounded novel or for some other unexplainable reason, decided to buy a bottle of onion wine.

On a better note, you should try some Mao Tai; it's a pretty strong liquor with a fiery, yet (to me) floral taste. I'm not sure if it's the brand or the type, but I remember it came in a small porcelain pot/jug.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

duckfarts posted:

I remember years back, I went to Hualian and there was a Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor showroom there and my friend's mom, maybe because it sounded novel or for some other unexplainable reason, decided to buy a bottle of onion wine.

On a better note, you should try some Mao Tai; it's a pretty strong liquor with a fiery, yet (to me) floral taste. I'm not sure if it's the brand or the type, but I remember it came in a small porcelain pot/jug.

quote:

Chinese fermented wines, or huangjiu, have a wide variety of classification methods, but baijiu are grouped primarily by their fragrance.

"Sauce" fragrance (醬香; pinyin: jiàng xiāng): A highly fragrant distilled liquor of bold character. To the Western palate, sauce fragrance baijiu can be quite challenging. It has solvent and barnyard aromas, with the former, in combination with the ethanol in the liquor, imparting a sharp ammonia-like note. It has been described as stinky tofu crossed with grappa. To the initiated, it is quite delicious and is considered the perfect complement for fine preserved and pickled foods (醬菜, jìang cài). This class is also referred to as "Mao xiang" (茅香), after the best known wine of this class, Maotai.

Oh I'm going to be all about this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quadrophrenic posted:

Oh I'm going to be all about this.

That is the epitome of :barf:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

The only Taiwanese wine I've tried is pisswater from 7-Eleven, but in terms of what imported wine is available, you can get basically whatever you want, and usually for a decent price.

But if you want to rock it old-school, get some gaoliang. Good gaoliang is some tasty poo poo that will gently caress you up.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 23, 2012

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

GoutPatrol posted:

That is the epitome of :barf:

My favorite beers are lambics. My favorite whiskeys are Islays. My favorite wines are big footy petite syrahs. I like gamey meat, blue cheese, and anything fermented. I'm going to be all about that maotai poo poo.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

quadrophrenic posted:

My favorite beers are lambics. My favorite whiskeys are Islays. My favorite wines are big footy petite syrahs. I like gamey meat, blue cheese, and anything fermented. I'm going to be all about that maotai poo poo.

Oh, maotai 白酒, enjoy a taste of the mainland. And keep in mind, 90% of the maotai you buy is fake. Unless it cost the equivalent of 500 rmb and you buy it in a high end shop

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

quadrophrenic posted:

Little late for this, but there is a decent selection of cheap French wines in most supermarkets. Taiwanese people generally don't drink much wine, and when they do they usually don't spend much in my experience. Most people also assume all the best wines come from France so finding a good American brand can be particularly difficult. Though Costco is pretty good for that sort of thing.

As for Taiwan wines. I've found they are typically pretty terrible and either too harsh, or lacking in flavor (mostly both). They are cheaper than other wines though.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'm assuming I can get good Aus/NZ wines though, and those are kinda my favorite wines. I can live without Cali Zins and Oregon Pinots Noir if it means I can get a good Marlborough S/B to help me survive the (I presume hot and sticky) summer season.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think a lot of the wines at places like Costco are Australian, so yeah.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Alright, who here is ready for another Goon Meat?

The last one was a rousing success of BBQ and drunkenness and it's been awhile since we got all of us strange people together.

I propose the following:

BBQ and drinking!

My friend owns a bar in Taipei and while it is pretty lovely, we can probably get all you can drink cocktails and potentially other goodies. This is not a foreigner bar. The clientele is almost completely Taiwanese. I don't see how this can go wrong.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I could be down for that.

quadrophrenic posted:

I'm assuming I can get good Aus/NZ wines though, and those are kinda my favorite wines. I can live without Cali Zins and Oregon Pinots Noir if it means I can get a good Marlborough S/B to help me survive the (I presume hot and sticky) summer season.
Pretty confident I've seen Marlboroughs in either Jason's or City Super before.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Haraksha posted:

Alright, who here is ready for another Goon Meat?

The last one was a rousing success of BBQ and drunkenness and it's been awhile since we got all of us strange people together.

I propose the following:

BBQ and drinking!

My friend owns a bar in Taipei and while it is pretty lovely, we can probably get all you can drink cocktails and potentially other goodies. This is not a foreigner bar. The clientele is almost completely Taiwanese. I don't see how this can go wrong.
Clientele thing is fine, I'm more concerned whether it's decent or a skeevy drama-filled shitpile. Other than that, I'm down provided I don't have other commitments.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's basically a Taiwanese hole in the wall with a couple of dart boards, some chairs, and a small couch lounge area. I think there was more drama within the group of foreigners I brought there a few weeks ago than with the Taiwanese regulars.

Seriously, who the gently caress is 30 years old and living in Taiwan and not know that Eastern people tend to list their family names first. Jesus loving Christ.

Edit: In fact, if we wanted all you can drink beer instead of cocktails, that might be possible if I give the guy enough notice.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 26, 2012

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.
I'm game in late August. Until then I'm on vacation in Latin America and then packing up in Japan. I'd like to meet people as I will be doing a three month stint in Taipei.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, we can always do something in August as well. I'd like to get something off the ground in July because I've been hanging out with a lot of not goons and it's making me think I have self respect.

Slightly related, a friend of mine is organizing a "boat party" this weekend and apparently I have to go because I was drunk and told him I would. So, anyone wanna get drunk on a boat? We can pretend to be pirates or something stupid.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Haraksha posted:

Slightly related, a friend of mine is organizing a "boat party" this weekend and apparently I have to go because I was drunk and told him I would. So, anyone wanna get drunk on a boat? We can pretend to be pirates or something stupid.
Boat parties loving own.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

If the list of goons by location ever gets recompiled, you can put me down as a Taipei goon. Now to wash off the stink of 30 hours of air travel and go wander around town.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Has anyone tried setting up a business venture as a foreigner in Taiwan? I hope to get connected to Taiwanese business professionals through English tutoring on the side and eventually want to try my hand in entrepreneurship in Taiwan. Is this doable?

I figured the economic climate would be better in a booming economy than an anemic one (i.e. the US) for a start-up business at any rate. v:shobon:v

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, looks like the boat party is postponed. Nevermind!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

OrangeGuy posted:

Has anyone tried setting up a business venture as a foreigner in Taiwan? I hope to get connected to Taiwanese business professionals through English tutoring on the side and eventually want to try my hand in entrepreneurship in Taiwan. Is this doable?

I figured the economic climate would be better in a booming economy than an anemic one (i.e. the US) for a start-up business at any rate. v:shobon:v

I know a couple friends-of-a-friend who did this. One started a promotion/tourism company, and it seems to be taking off. He also speaks near-fluent Chinese, which I imagine helps quite a lot. The other guy bakes brownies for various restaurants around Taipei. If you have ever had a brownie at KGB, those are his.

I haven't really spoken to either of them in-depth about their work, but I know both of them still do a fair amount of English teaching on the side, so I guess don't quit your day job.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Of course, if people are interested, we could just do 7/14 as the goon meet on the boat.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Booo 7/14, hooray 7/21. I'll be in Hsinchu for a birthday party 7/14-15

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Hahaha American wine, that's like American "cheese" ... (I kid I kid)

I'm down for some debauchery this weekend. The grapevine suggested a curry, which I am seriously jonesing for.

If we fo Haraksha's buddy's bar, I can not recommend the Mojito highly enough.

Quite simply a spectacular experience.

e: Li Laoshi fuckn loves you Haraksha. Where I was holding favoured new student status, I am now being told how god drat awesome your vocab is, and how hard you work. gently caress you!

url fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Moon Slayer posted:

The other guy bakes brownies for various restaurants around Taipei. If you have ever had a brownie at KGB, those are his.

they look retardedly good!