Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
What's a good way to prepare mullet filets? I bought some on a whim since they were fresh and cheap. Would they be good steamed in a foil pouch with garlic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The System
Aug 7, 2006
I'd like advice on honing steels. There is no online consensus about how to hone a Shun knife. Some say the steels sold by Shun are too rough for honing, and that smooth metal rod is preferable. Others prefer the Shun honing steels for the 16 degree angle guide. I am leaning towards the Shun DM0750 Sharpening Steel because I have no experience with honing and want a guide to help get the correct angle. There's no need to buy the Shun Premier Honing Steel except for cosmetic reasons, correct?

So many questions. If I should get a smooth metal rod instead, is there a particular brand that is best? How does one learn how to hone a blade at a 16 degree angle without a guide? What kind of honing steel should I have for my other blades? Are leather strops useful?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So we like yellow squash and zucchini and frequently sautee them with a bit of olive oil and garlic as a side. This grocery store nearby has giant striped zucchini from Mexico that really kick rear end, but I digress.

I keep having a problem with the garlic. I can't seem to reach a balance between getting the squash/zucchini sufficiently cooked and tender and...not toasting or burning the garlic. Do I just need to turn the heat down and cook the veggies more slowly? Interestingly, this didn't seem to happen when I cooked with some elephant garlic recently.

I'm also looking for some sort of guide to the proper storage/treatment of vegetables. Keeping them fresh is an issue sometimes when you're just cooking for two and might not eat them fast enough. Which veggies should be kept in the fridge and which should definitely NOT be refrigerated? I've seen varying opinions on tomatoes, onions, potatoes, and citrus fruit, for example.

1st1sHere
Nov 4, 2011
Can anyone recommend a good double tub ice cream maker?

Something similar to what TheCIASentMe speaks of here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488471&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post404263342

Thanks.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just made a godawfully disgusting salad made almost entirely of bitter greens: Escarole, spinach, bok choy, dandelion greens and flat-leaf parsley. Is there any way I can dress up this beast to make it at least somewhat palatable?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Meaty Ore posted:

I just made a godawfully disgusting salad made almost entirely of bitter greens: Escarole, spinach, bok choy, dandelion greens and flat-leaf parsley. Is there any way I can dress up this beast to make it at least somewhat palatable?

Vinegar. Any vinegar but a decent balsamic vinegar will have the salty, sour, and sweet to balance out your bitter. For mouth feel, some toasted nuts or seeds (sesame seeds) or even croutons.

Or just pack it up and save it to dress up a sandwich like an open-faced turkey and gravy or pork loin type of thing (poo poo on a shingle).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Meaty Ore posted:

Pork belly confit, a sweet mustard vinaigrette, and a poached egg, with pork fat garlic croutons will make you wish that assembly was even more bitter than it is.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
I've been going through my memory of my grandparents' Italian dishes, trying to duplicate them. Unfortunately so many of their names are "Americanized" so it's been tough (brahjol = braciole, chemboth = ciambotta). One that I am stumped on is "ah chi pa dan" which they made with a very light tomato broth, spare ribs, celery and potatoes and always was served with warm home made bread. Not sure if I could call it a soup or a stew.

Any Italian cooking fans want to take a guess? I poured through wikipedia's list of Italian dishes and tried google, but got nothin.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Pork belly confit, a sweet mustard vinaigrette, and a poached egg, with pork fat garlic croutons will make you wish that assembly was even more bitter than it is.

Alas, the confit is beyond my means at the moment. I'll have to make do with balsamic vinegar. Maybe dice up and toss in some roasted beets.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Meaty Ore posted:

Honestly my first thought would be to cook it; all of these greens would do well with some garlic and olive oil.. well the parsley not as much.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Powdered Toast Man posted:

So we like yellow squash and zucchini and frequently sautee them with a bit of olive oil and garlic as a side. This grocery store nearby has giant striped zucchini from Mexico that really kick rear end, but I digress.

I keep having a problem with the garlic. I can't seem to reach a balance between getting the squash/zucchini sufficiently cooked and tender and...not toasting or burning the garlic. Do I just need to turn the heat down and cook the veggies more slowly? Interestingly, this didn't seem to happen when I cooked with some elephant garlic recently.

I'm also looking for some sort of guide to the proper storage/treatment of vegetables. Keeping them fresh is an issue sometimes when you're just cooking for two and might not eat them fast enough. Which veggies should be kept in the fridge and which should definitely NOT be refrigerated? I've seen varying opinions on tomatoes, onions, potatoes, and citrus fruit, for example.

To the first question, you can cook the garlic then take it out, or what would be easier would be to make some garlic oil by either putting some whole bulbs in oil on low heat until soft, or in the oven the same way, until the garlic was soft. Then you have awesome garlic that you can schmear on things, and flavored garlic oil that won't kill you.

e: for the second part I'm not sure if like, the book On Food or the website Cook's Thesaurus mentions anything about storage, but generally you want to keep tomatoes above 55 degrees (f), onions and potatoes in dark dry places (but not together), citrus idk I keep it in the fridge if it's hot out, but I'm pretty sure citrus doesn't ripen once it's picked so I don't think it should make much difference.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 27, 2012

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I recently got some homemade ice cream from a market, but it had ice crystals in it and it was almost as if the fat had separated out. Any ideas what happened?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

baquerd posted:

I recently got some homemade ice cream from a market, but it had ice crystals in it and it was almost as if the fat had separated out. Any ideas what happened?

Sounds like the icecream defrosted/melted (partially) and was refrozen.
Growing up, I always learned that eating icecream like that is a perfect way to get killed dead. But I guess you'll survive.

Oh, another idea is that the market people do not have perfect ice-making skills, and the machine wasn't cold enough while they were making it.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I have hoisin, soy sauce, sesame oil, and oyster sauce. Can I make some kinda stir fry sauce with this?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You betcha. Save the sesame oil for the end though, and don't go overboard with it.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Thanks! How much of each thing should go in there? I'm pretty terrible at eyeballing sauce ingredients.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man stir fry is all about eyeballing. The soy sauce and sesame oil are the two ingredients that you can screw up the whole stir fry with by using too much. So use a little less than you think you need and then stir and taste. I like a lot of oyster sauce in mine, but ymmv.

One thing you may want to do is have a little water or stock or even soy sauce with some corn starch stirred in, and add that at the end and stir and let it thicken the sauce up a bit. But if you do that, remember everything will have more sauce on it, so if your sauce is too strong, this will exaggerate that.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

An observer posted:

Thanks! How much of each thing should go in there? I'm pretty terrible at eyeballing sauce ingredients.

Enough to glaze the ingredients with a bit extra. Not so much that they're drowning.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qwU72VWZgE

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Turkeybone posted:

To the first question, you can cook the garlic then take it out, or what would be easier would be to make some garlic oil by either putting some whole bulbs in oil on low heat until soft, or in the oven the same way, until the garlic was soft. Then you have awesome garlic that you can schmear on things, and flavored garlic oil that won't kill you.

e: for the second part I'm not sure if like, the book On Food or the website Cook's Thesaurus mentions anything about storage, but generally you want to keep tomatoes above 55 degrees (f), onions and potatoes in dark dry places (but not together), citrus idk I keep it in the fridge if it's hot out, but I'm pretty sure citrus doesn't ripen once it's picked so I don't think it should make much difference.

We have tiny fruit flies that magically appear whenever we put fruit or tomatoes out on the counter so I guess we'll have to put them in a container (anyone with any tips on annihilating fruit flies/gnats please let me know, I've tried several things already). I have been using the green bags for stuff that does need refrigeration and they really do make stuff last longer, especially greens and fresh herbs. Curiously, I've also noticed that organic fruits and vegetables seem to stay fresh longer. I get organic romaine pretty often and organic oranges, limes, and lemons and they all stay fresh about twice as long as non-organic stuff.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I took some raw chicken out of the fridge, then stupidly left it sitting on the counter at room temp for 2.5 hours. Should I toss it?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

coronaball posted:

I took some raw chicken out of the fridge, then stupidly left it sitting on the counter at room temp for 2.5 hours. Should I toss it?

Was it cold when you touched it after 2.5 hours? Was it vacuum-sealed, or was it sitting in the open air, in a sunbeam, and forgotten right after you and your cat sneezed on it?

If it was still at least a little cold, it's fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd eat it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

coronaball posted:

Depending on how warm your counter is it should be okay. The temp danger zone for food is over 4 for around 2-4 hours so this sounds like it's still in the safe zone.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

(anyone with any tips on annihilating fruit flies/gnats please let me know, I've tried several things already)
They lay eggs in the soil of house plants. I put some mild soap and water in a spray bottle and moistened the surface soil of every plant once a day for a couple weeks. Apparently you need to do it long enough to kill the current eggs and the ones the current generation will be laying. Good luck!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

2.5 hours? Are you going to serve it to an infant, the elderly or someone with an auto-immune disorder? If not eat it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Just pressure cook autoclave it. :v:

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
My bread machine had sat in storage for a long as time and when I went to move it today, I found that a bunch of weird poo poo had leaked out of it. It had a yellow greasy gel-like goo underneath it, seeping everywhere. I can't tell exactly where it leaked out of and I have no idea what it is. The scary thing is that this crap ate completely through the clear plastic sleeve thing that the machine was in. There were a few things next to it with plastic peeling and sloughing all strangely too. Any idea what the hell happened?

e- I tried googling and all I got was 'oh no my lemon pies oozed!' and anal leakage

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 28, 2012

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Asstro Van posted:

My bread machine had sat in storage for a long as time and when I went to move it today, I found that a bunch of weird poo poo had leaked out of it. It had a yellow greasy gel-like goo underneath it, seeping everywhere. I can't tell exactly where it leaked out of and I have no idea what it is. The scary thing is that this crap ate completely through the clear plastic sleeve thing that the machine was in. There were a few things next to it with plastic peeling and sloughing all strangely too. Any idea what the hell happened?

e- I tried googling and all I got was 'oh no my lemon pies oozed!' and anal leakage

Other than anal leakage, my guess would be oil....?
...not completely sure how and why there's oil in icemachines, but it definitely eats through plastic

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Chemmy posted:

2.5 hours? Are you going to serve it to an infant, the elderly or someone with an auto-immune disorder? If not eat it.

It would be fed to a toddler, yes. It was still somewhat cold to the touch and in a sealed bag, so I'm guessing it's probably OK. Then again it's only $2.50 worth of chicken thighs. I was just curious since a Google search gave such varied answers.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

geetee posted:

They lay eggs in the soil of house plants. I put some mild soap and water in a spray bottle and moistened the surface soil of every plant once a day for a couple weeks. Apparently you need to do it long enough to kill the current eggs and the ones the current generation will be laying. Good luck!

I don't have any houseplants, which is what's puzzling. Initially I suspected the sink garbage disposal so I started cleaning it more often and that didn't make a difference. I've also never seen them around the disposal, so...

I tried one of those sticky trap things you hang up and it did gently caress all, and smelled like poo poo. I also tried the dish of apple cider vinegar with a bit of sugar in it and they ignored it. I have radioactive super-gnats or something.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

I don't have any houseplants, which is what's puzzling. Initially I suspected the sink garbage disposal so I started cleaning it more often and that didn't make a difference. I've also never seen them around the disposal, so...

I tried one of those sticky trap things you hang up and it did gently caress all, and smelled like poo poo. I also tried the dish of apple cider vinegar with a bit of sugar in it and they ignored it. I have radioactive super-gnats or something.

If you have absolutely no idea, then you should stop buying ANY groceries that cannot handle being stored in the fridge... then store all groceries in the fridge until a couple of weeks after you've seen the last creature.
After dinner, wash your dishes instantly.
Keep cleaning your disposal areas (make sure there's nothing like that inside your house more than a couple of days...if so: set up an area outside of your house to throw stuff in)
You will get rid of this, I'm sure, but you might want to wear a Rambo outfit while doing this (perfect reason to pull that off, and how many chances does a person get for that, huh?!)

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

Asstro Van posted:

Huh, this used to happen with the soft serve ice cream machine at my last place of work. Someone told me it was from the machine parts, but I don't know what the hell it is exactly. There was even a little rubber catchbasin for the poo poo.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you guys for the tips, my Cold Sesame Noodles were a hit.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I have 3kg of chicken leg quarters (bone-in skin-on) and I'm at a loss of what to do with them. My boyfriend left them in my freezer because he doesn't know what he wants to do with them, and I really don't want to defrost them just to break them up. Usually I just roast the chicken leg quarters, but as much as I love roast chicken, I get tired of it quickly.

Is there something that I can make that freezes well? I doubt both me and my boyfriend can eat 3kg of chicken in a day or two.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey GWS,

I've got to make a Spanish/Mexican inspired dish for class tomorrow. I'm cheap, my cooking experience and supplies are limited, and certain obvious choices are already taken, like nachos, beans and rice, and drinks are out.

I was gonna go with refried black beans, topped with some crumbly casero style white cheese, and wrapped in a corn tortilla. A dozen or so of those, baked in an oven till crisp... Yes. That is what I've come up with.

Observations, criticisms, or suggestions for alternatives would be appreciated.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

I have 3kg of chicken leg quarters (bone-in skin-on) and I'm at a loss of what to do with them.

Stew them! :dance:

Mushrooms, tomatoes, green bell peppers, onions, some thyme and oregano and a bit of butter and oil. Brown up the quarters in butter and oil, remove from pan. Sautee mushrooms and onions in butter, throw in peppers and tomatoes and re-add the quarters. Add some salt and pepper and the herbs and braise that hot mess until your chicken is falling off the bone tender. You can throw in some red wine too while it cooks down. Throw some down your throat too!

Pull the quarters and rip off the meat into big chunks. Stir it up in the tomatoey stew sauce and then serve over some egg noodles. Try like hell not to jam it all into your face in one sitting.

Freezes remarkably well.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Bananana posted:

I've got to make a Spanish/Mexican inspired dish for class tomorrow.
Chile verde, red mole sauce over chicken, http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/sidedishes/r/camote.htm or a nice big batch of ceviche. Hah, that'll freak them out.

Good luck, there's a ton of fascinating cuisine from Mexico. Spain? I dunno, don't they just make rice?

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

CuddleChunks posted:

Stew them! :dance:

Mushrooms, tomatoes, green bell peppers, onions, some thyme and oregano and a bit of butter and oil. Brown up the quarters in butter and oil, remove from pan. Sautee mushrooms and onions in butter, throw in peppers and tomatoes and re-add the quarters. Add some salt and pepper and the herbs and braise that hot mess until your chicken is falling off the bone tender. You can throw in some red wine too while it cooks down. Throw some down your throat too!

Pull the quarters and rip off the meat into big chunks. Stir it up in the tomatoey stew sauce and then serve over some egg noodles. Try like hell not to jam it all into your face in one sitting.

Freezes remarkably well.

That sounds amazing.. but since 3kg is a lot, you could do 1/2 with this stew and 1/2 as chicken soup:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-Soup-with-Root-Vegetables-360590

grill/roast the chicken first.. then follow the recipe above..

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Hey GWS,

I've got to make a Spanish/Mexican inspired dish for class tomorrow. I'm cheap, my cooking experience and supplies are limited, and certain obvious choices are already taken, like nachos, beans and rice, and drinks are out.

I was gonna go with refried black beans, topped with some crumbly casero style white cheese, and wrapped in a corn tortilla. A dozen or so of those, baked in an oven till crisp... Yes. That is what I've come up with.

How about Arroz con Leche (Rice pudding)? It's rice, dairy (milk and evaporated/condensed milk), sugar, and some spices. That seems cheap, should travel well, would be easy to make a big batch of, and probably easy since you don't really have to care too much about making perfect rice for it since you're just going to drown it in dairy and sugar. The downside is it's a bit boring and not what most people think of when they think of mexican food.

I'd say in general a dessert might be a good idea, but I might be biased since I've got a really big sweet tooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

Spain? I dunno, don't they just make rice?

LOL the mother of, like, a third of the world's cuisines...yeah they just make rice :rolleyes:

The Bananana posted:

Hey GWS,

+1 on ceviche. You can make it cheap with catfish, works well provided the fish is fresh. You can also do something like a fresh horchata perhaps, maybe churros, or make menudo, that's cheap as hell to make and is delicious and will show everyone that you are a badass.

Spanish side, make a gazpacho andaluz. That's easy, the veg you'll need is all in season now. Serve with some home made croutons. Tortilla espanola is pretty easy, too. If you want badass points here, you should make a paella negra.