Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Syncing podcasts, TV shows, movies, and all that. Don't need the cable though anymore, you can use wi-fi sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
iTunes already pulled a fast one on me and cleared all of my apps... I'll just be restoring from an iCloud backup and let that handle all my syncing needs. Forgot how much of a bitch iTunes can be.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
...and I was just about to mention apps as another reason to sync to a computer. Some apps can get pulled entirely from the store (and aren't available from previous purchases like some others), the only way to get those back when restoring are if you have a copy on your computer.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm looking for an app that will make a list of files on a removable disk (or more generally, any folder) and let me browse/search that list after I've removed the disk. I remember such a thing existing in the Classic days (I think it might have been a Symantec product?).

I could just use "ls -r", but I'd prefer something with a GUI.

Edit: Apparently the useful search term is "catalog". Archive looks like it would serve my purposes, but if there's anything cheaper/free that would be better.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 23, 2012

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does Safari 6 fix the bug where pinch to zoom stops working after awhile?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Is it possible with Parallels or VMWare (preferably the former since I already own it) to have thin provisioning / dynamic growth enabled for the VM disk file? I'm going to be running Windows 7 in a VM on my 11", and so storage space is at an absolute premium.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lexicon posted:

Is it possible with Parallels or VMWare (preferably the former since I already own it) to have thin provisioning / dynamic growth enabled for the VM disk file? I'm going to be running Windows 7 in a VM on my 11", and so storage space is at an absolute premium.

Virtual box allows this.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lexicon posted:

As far as I can tell, Parallels does this by default. My Windows 8 VM is 64 GB for the guest, but the file is only 6.5 GB.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Lexicon posted:

VMware Fusion's disk format grows as you use it up for me. You can even split it up into 2GB slices if you want.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

carry on then posted:

As far as I can tell, Parallels does this by default. My Windows 8 VM is 64 GB for the guest, but the file is only 6.5 GB.

It's weird; I have a Windows 7 VM in parallels 6 on another Mac. Windows reports that the C: drive is 22GB out of 64GB; however the file is 40GB. and that's after compressing the file through Parallels settings and have emptied the Recycle Bin. I have no idea what's consuming the other space...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Any save states? I have an XP VM with 14 GB used by the guest, but a 50 GB file due to several save states.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

carry on then posted:

Any save states? I have an XP VM with 14 GB used by the guest, but a 50 GB file due to several save states.

Good thought, but no - I have that turned off, and the Snapshots directory within the *.pvm file is empty.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is anyone having troubles with their me.com poo poo in apple mail?

Its blanked out the server addresses, but leaves it greyed out and read-only on "www.example.com" when I try fix it. Consequently its having trouble talking to a server called (null). Even when I delete it out of the mail app and re-add it, it still does it.

I'll be hosed if I know what I've done to mail to make it do this.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Tippis posted:

[...] Opera 12 [...] that version isn't quiiiiite ready for prime-time just yet.

What's wrong with Opera 12? I like it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have iCloud safari bookmark sync enabled on my iPad and both of my 10.7.4 desktops, but I don't see the bookmarks actually syncing across. For example, I bookmarked a bunch of photography forums yesterday, but I don't see them on my iPad this morning, and if I check my desktop at work I bet you money that they won't be there either. The bookmarks I added at work on Friday aren't showing up on my desktop at home or my iPad either.

When does iCloud sync? Is it on a fixed schedule, or should it be doing a sync as soon as a bookmark is added?

Not really sure how to begin diagnosing this.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Strange occurrence: I'd been using a standard built-in Lion wallpaper on my 24"/early 2008 iMac for the past year or so, but I found a cool one here http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details/2977/a_wrecked_boat_in_the_ocean.html and and switched to it last night. Instantly, everything graphically on my system seemed to work better, snappier, more fluid - windows opening and closing, resizing, minimizing and restoring, etc. - it just felt like everything in the way the system behaves ratcheted up a notch. The machine doesn't have the best graphic card in it, but I still use it to heavily edit movies in Final Cut X without too many problems.

Could there be something about the default/built-in wallpaper that was making the system's GPU work extra hard or something? I don't quite understand how that stuff works, but I'd swear that the system suddenly got way snappier and more fluid the second I switched wallpapers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I have iCloud safari bookmark sync enabled on my iPad and both of my 10.7.4 desktops, but I don't see the bookmarks actually syncing across. For example, I bookmarked a bunch of photography forums yesterday, but I don't see them on my iPad this morning, and if I check my desktop at work I bet you money that they won't be there either. The bookmarks I added at work on Friday aren't showing up on my desktop at home or my iPad either.

When does iCloud sync? Is it on a fixed schedule, or should it be doing a sync as soon as a bookmark is added?

I think it's supposed to push...but I've seen what you're talking about, it was broken for me and not updating for a while, then some time ago it appeared to be syncing again. I have no clue what the hell is up with it. All I can guess is restarting and/or turning iCloud on/off or something.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Martytoof posted:

iCloud bookmark syncing has always been glitchy for me. When I have it enabled on my Mac, I can't rearrange bookmarks - as soon as I move one, it pops back to where it was originally. When I enable it on my iPad it often downloads an older version of my bookmarks, and the two devices happily burble along with iCloud enabled but completely out of sync.

iCloud is definitely better than MobileMe but I still feel that Apple just doesn't 'get' how to do cloud stuff in some fundamental way.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Disable and re-enable the option in iCloud. That usually corrects it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I'm hoping that Mountain Lion and iOS 6 bring a lot more stability/consistency to iCloud in terms of how it syncs. As it is now it's irritating that there's no apparent way to force an iCloud sync (aside from turning it off/on I guess?), not even for developers of specific apps.

They just send their poo poo into the black box and hope it does whatever it's supposed to do to get it to your other devices.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I had Mountain Lion on my Air to test out some stuff before going back to Lion, and now my iPad forever shows it with the same drat tabs open in iCloud Tabs. I guess it'll clear once I put the GM of ML on there, but drat there should be a timeout.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Disable and re-enable the option in iCloud. That usually corrects it.

First thing I tried, I should have mentioned that.

Here's what I have tried:

1. Cleaned up my bookmarks on my home mac. Disabled sync, re-enabled sync. No discernible problems.
2. Deleted ALL bookmarks on my work machine because I want them to mirror my home machine now. Disabled sync, re-enabled sync. Bookmarks came back exactly how they were BEFORE I deleted them. That is to say, iCloud looked like it just restored a backup of my work bookmarks, not a copy of what was on my home Mac.

Very weird. That said, I just remembered that I'm also running 6.0 beta so I'm not going to start crying foul until 6.0 actually hits the street. Until then for all I know I'm running into some niche bug with 6.0 and iCloud.

It would be keen if there was a log of what iCloud did, but I doubt that's forthcoming.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

MobileMe is going away in 4 days...

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

It's a bit easier to set up iCloud mail just by checking a box in System Preferences:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2621
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864

You should probably
a) not talk about it anywhere but on the Officially Sanctioned Apple Forums and
b) File a bug!

https://bugreport.apple.com

chimz fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 26, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

chimz posted:

It's a bit easier to set up iCloud mail just by checking a box in System Preferences:

You should probably
a) not talk about it anywhere but on the Officially Sanctioned Apple Forums and
b) File a bug!

https://bugreport.apple.com

Oh I'm all transitioned. Its the me.com mail address. They are going to let me keep that, right?

Either way, it started working again today. Best I can figure is a glitch in the matrix somewhere. v:shobon:v

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to change the search engines in Safari 5? I'm never going to use Yahoo or Bing, it would be nice to change those to something a little more useful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/sublime-text-2-0-released

Sublime Text 2.0 has been released, with Retina support

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

chimz posted:

Thanks! The 2d link is particularly helpful if you have previously set up a .mac/.me account in Outlook. Outlook 2010 has been prompting me for a login for the past two days, and it seems they changed not only the servers, but you need to add @me.com to your username. I was wondering what the hell it was doing.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just got that there Macbook Pro Retina. Loving it so far but I'm wondering if there's a faster way to do a system migration from my old whitebook than trying to do it on wifi.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I think you can do it via firewire.

edit: vvvv Well, you can pay 10 bucks for the adapter, or put up with transfer speeds via wifi.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 27, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DarkJC posted:

I think you can do it via firewire.

That would help if the new macbook pro retinas had firewire :shobon:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Peven Stan posted:

Just got that there Macbook Pro Retina. Loving it so far but I'm wondering if there's a faster way to do a system migration from my old whitebook than trying to do it on wifi.

Since the FireWire adapter isn't out yet, I'd recommend purchasing the Thunderbolt Gigabit dongle.

At least the gigabit adapter might come in handy later on and If you're not near a switch you can just run the ethernet cable from one macbook to another.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
What's the magic to make a tempalte in Numbers from a document?

It seems to have disappear in some Numbers update?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

theperminator posted:

Since the FireWire adapter isn't out yet, I'd recommend purchasing the Thunderbolt Gigabit dongle.

At least the gigabit adapter might come in handy later on and If you're not near a switch you can just run the ethernet cable from one macbook to another.

Can I just plug one mac to the other via ethernet?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Peven Stan posted:

The gigabit adapter is great and not at all expensive. Another option that should be faster than WiFi is to migrate from a Time Machine backup of your old Mac, assuming you're backing up to a disk that has an available connector.

Peven Stan posted:

Can I just plug one mac to the other via ethernet?

Yes. (Edit: Most likely, it'll just work, but there may be some minor network configuration twiddling required. Depends on how the machines are currently configured on that ethernet interface.)

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 27, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mikey-San posted:

Yes. (Edit: Most likely, it'll just work, but there may be some minor network configuration twiddling required. Depends on how the machines are currently configured on that ethernet interface.)

Haha, I was totally thinking crossover cables until I remembered that modern computers can autonegotiate.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

kapalama posted:

What's the magic to make a tempalte in Numbers from a document?

It seems to have disappear in some Numbers update?

It's in the pulldown menu not in a dialog box from CMD+S, for anyone else confused by this.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/sublime-text-2-0-released

Sublime Text 2.0 has been released, with Retina support

Wow how have I never heard of this program before. It's like a better version of Programmer's Notepad that is cross platform. No more vim for me on mac.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
Heads Up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492703

I'm looking for a Mac OS X Server/Terminal Rockstar to automate a task or two on a mac mini server.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Mikey-San posted:

The gigabit adapter is great and not at all expensive. Another option that should be faster than WiFi is to migrate from a Time Machine backup of your old Mac, assuming you're backing up to a disk that has an available connector.

Turn off Wifi on the computer doing the transfer from. Ensure non-static IP on both ends. Tada, no network fiddling! Yay Zeroconf Rendezvous Bonjour whatevers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

low-key-taco posted:

Wow how have I never heard of this program before. It's like a better version of Programmer's Notepad that is cross platform. No more vim for me on mac.

Yeah and it gets even better with plugins! enjoy your new editing addiction!