Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DapperDuck posted:

Basically, the problem Red Mages have is they serve no purpose that another job couldn't also fill, but better.

Point of order: Having better hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Monk, Blue Mage, Blue Mage, Knight. Swords for everyone!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
JP 3DS dudes, there's a new Bravery Default demo on the eShop, and this one actually contains battles! Go download it and then tell me how fun it is. JP release date confirmed, too (October 11).

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If you were right, this would be a world without SaGa.

A better, more decent world.

I would sacrifice a million FF games for a new SaGa game in English.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

DapperDuck posted:

Note, that no where in this post did I mention anything about Red Mages meleeing, because that has always been, and always will be, a utter joke. :v:

tl;dr version: Red Mages were terrible, then great! But now they suck again.

I've always thought that World of Warcraft's Enhancement Shaman is pretty much how a Red Mage should play in an MMO. Short Explanation: Primarily a melee class that is competent at throwing out heals and nukes. Gets an ability that lets them instant cast nuke and heal spells fairly regularly.

Maybe allow casting while meleeing to make it feel more like a melee/magic hybrid and more of an even break to make it feel more red magey.

The Red Mage is pretty much my personal favorite Final Fantasy class and it kind of annoys me how often it gets shafted. The kneejerk reaction to balance is jack of all trades, master of none - but not being a master doesn't mean you gotta suck.

In FF1, it was overpowered to a degree, but it had the fundamentals of proper balance. It was pretty good at melee damage(about 70% of a Fighter), and Lv7 White/Black magic let them be about 70% a mage, given they miss out on some important spells, mostly from the White list. If some of the game's numbers worked right, like Intellect boosting magic, it'd probably be perfectly balanced with white/black/fighter. As is, it's probably the #2 Class after the unstoppable juggernaut that is the fighter.

FF3 nerfs them into the ground by capping their spells at Lv5 out of 8. Their melee doesn't keep up. Useless when you leave the floating continent.

FF5 it's basically a glorified chore job to grind 999 ABP for Dualcast. It's awesome in use for World 1, but is quickly obsolete in a game that's pretty good about not obsoleting classes otherwise.

I played one for a bit in FFXI, never got far, but the plight of the FFXI Red Mage is already well documented.

Alas, Square balances around the awesome hat and they always end up sucking.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

In FF1, it was overpowered to a degree, but it had the fundamentals of proper balance. It was pretty good at melee damage(about 70% of a Fighter), and Lv7 White/Black magic let them be about 70% a mage, given they miss out on some important spells, mostly from the White list. If some of the game's numbers worked right, like Intellect boosting magic, it'd probably be perfectly balanced with white/black/fighter. As is, it's probably the #2 Class after the unstoppable juggernaut that is the fighter.

Yeah Red Mage in FF1 is a total badass. He's the only guy besides Fighter who can wear chain/plate armor prior to promotion which means he's basically invulnerable until you beat Kary.

It's a real boner that he can't learn EXIT though, because my original party was Fighter/Monk/Thief/RM and that meant I couldn't loot the Masamune and warp out of the Temple of Fiends :(

And yeah they kinda blow in FF3 but to be fair every class that isn't Ninja or Sage is obsoleted by something in FF3. That's just how that game was designed; part of me wants to try the DS remake because I've heard it took steps to fix that, but then I'd rather just play through FF5 or FFT again for my job system fix.

EDIT: And on that note I got Monk/Summoner/Geomancer/Chemist for my second (and normal) fiesta run. I expect Geomancer to fall off a lot especially because the best use for !Terrain is a cheap source of MP-free damage for mages but !Call is just better, but it sure was useful for my shoot-out with Archeoavis and honestly who gives a poo poo because Chemist.

Baku fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 27, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I've always thought that World of Warcraft's Enhancement Shaman is pretty much how a Red Mage should play in an MMO. Short Explanation: Primarily a melee class that is competent at throwing out heals and nukes. Gets an ability that lets them instant cast nuke and heal spells fairly regularly.

Maybe allow casting while meleeing to make it feel more like a melee/magic hybrid and more of an even break to make it feel more red magey.

The Red Mage is pretty much my personal favorite Final Fantasy class and it kind of annoys me how often it gets shafted. The kneejerk reaction to balance is jack of all trades, master of none - but not being a master doesn't mean you gotta suck.

FF3 nerfs them into the ground by capping their spells at Lv5 out of 8. Their melee doesn't keep up. Useless when you leave the floating continent.

FF5 it's basically a glorified chore job to grind 999 ABP for Dualcast. It's awesome in use for World 1, but is quickly obsolete in a game that's pretty good about not obsoleting classes otherwise.

I played one for a bit in FFXI, never got far, but the plight of the FFXI Red Mage is already well documented.

Alas, Square balances around the awesome hat and they always end up sucking.

If it makes you feel any better, Red Mages are pretty awesome in FFXII IZJS- Not only do they get a good selection of magic from other class specialties (potentially including the top-tier black magic -aga spells), but they get their own line of "Arcane" magic, as well as the usual good equipment selection.

Sadly, you do not get awesome hats.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's just surprising to me considering FFIX was more well-received from game critics than VII was. If he thinks FFVII was the pinnacle of quality in the franchise, well...

FFIX has a 94 Metacritic average, while FFVII has a 92. That's a pretty insignificant difference. Like it or not, the game was a massive success, far more successful then any other FF game ever released. The game has sold over 10 million copies, and it helped JRPGs become immensely popular for the rest of the PS1's days into the PS2 era. FFIX did nothing like this at all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I would sacrifice a million FF games for a new SaGa game in English.
I would sacrifice a million Motomu Toriyamas Aztec-style (possibly atop Chichen Itza) if it meant getting a Minstrel Song-style remake of Romancing SaGa 3.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

And yeah they kinda blow in FF3 but to be fair every class that isn't Ninja or Sage is obsoleted by something in FF3. That's just how that game was designed; part of me wants to try the DS remake because I've heard it took steps to fix that, but then I'd rather just play through FF5 or FFT again for my job system fix.

That's a good call. FF3DS isn't a terribly good game. Sure, they buffed the earlier jobs to the point that they're still useful in the lategame, but it's also a port of a twenty-year old RPG. It's tedious and by modern standards very badly designed, and the port actually makes some aspects of that worse. It's also got easily the worst final dungeon/last boss combo of any Final Fantasy game, and several of the earlier dungeons are just poo poo. Picture, for instance, a dungeon where you have to have Mini up the entire time but the enemies don't, or one where you need some other horribly debilitating status effect (Toad, maybe?) that, again, the enemies don't need to have. Those are two actual dungeons.

Long story short, FF3 doesn't hold up well at all. You want a job system game, play V, Tactics, or X-2

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The two dungeons in question require Mini status, and you can usually run a Thief for guaranteed running or a set of Mages for actual offense.

I dunno, I have a soft spot for FF3, ridiculous final onslaught and all.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

55000 damage, breaking the damage limit way before Eden or Tidus.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mill Village posted:

FFIX has a 94 Metacritic average, while FFVII has a 92. That's a pretty insignificant difference. Like it or not, the game was a massive success, far more successful then any other FF game ever released. The game has sold over 10 million copies, and it helped JRPGs become immensely popular for the rest of the PS1's days into the PS2 era. FFIX did nothing like this at all.

Its success and influence are not necessarily representations of its inherent quality over the rest of the series. A lot of FFVII's success came from timing, and if a game like IX had been released instead it would have probably enjoyed the same huge success.

By the time IX was released the PS2 was coming into the fray and jRPGs had flooded the market.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

I would sacrifice a million Motomu Toriyamas Aztec-style (possibly atop Chichen Itza) if it meant getting a Minstrel Song-style remake of Romancing SaGa 3.

I actually agree with this despite being the person who originally slammed the SaGa series to start this whole conversation.

RS3 is the only game in that series I can bear long enough to play to completion; it feels like it does the best job of utilizing SaGa mechanics without just being a crazy busted shitshow or having some ludicrous set of additional gimmicks. And no weapon-use limit!

I wonder how much of that is also just because it's the visually appealing 16-bit one, though. I'm a sucker for those pretty SNES sprites.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Azure_Horizon posted:

Its success and influence are not necessarily representations of its inherent quality over the rest of the series. A lot of FFVII's success came from timing, and if a game like IX had been released instead it would have probably enjoyed the same huge success.

Doubtful, because I gauge VII's success solely on it's pseudo-futuristic world. Most people I knew in elementary school were talking about the commercials because it had motorcycles and explosions and poo poo you hadn't seen before in a videogame really. Of course that world is nothing like what that trailer showed us, but that's marketing for you. :v:

A game like IX would've gotten lost in the market. Much like it did when it was released. I remember stumbling across IX at Toy's R Us and going "no way! When did this come out?"

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Mill Village posted:

[FF7] helped JRPGs become immensely popular for the rest of the PS1's days into the PS2 era. FFIX did nothing like this at all.

I kinda don't think this. There were tons of jRPGs both before and after FF7, and tons are loads of jRPGs before and after FF9. I don't think FF7 had a noticeable effect on the popularity of the genre. Perhaps there seems like less on the flagship systems, but that's only because there's many on handhelds.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I kinda don't think this. There were tons of jRPGs both before and after FF7, and tons are loads of jRPGs before and after FF9. I don't think FF7 had a noticeable effect on the popularity of the genre. Perhaps there seems like less on the flagship systems, but that's only because there's many on handhelds.

Popularity as in 'mainstream attention in the West', maybe.

Pokemon probably helped with that too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Red Mages are pretty awesome in FFXII IZJS- Not only do they get a good selection of magic from other class specialties (potentially including the top-tier black magic -aga spells), but they get their own line of "Arcane" magic, as well as the usual good equipment selection.

Sadly, you do not get awesome hats.

Red Mages are amazing in FFXII International. They're the only mage class that can equip shields. Their selection of magic is also fantastic. They can learn the -ga level Black and White Magick, and while the Time spells aren't the best they still learn Slow and Reflect.

And the Arcane Magick is amazing. The Dark Line of spells are pretty powerful the best source of Dark Damage.

Finally, they don't even have to worry about the problem that usually plagues the Red Mage, low Strength meaning melee damage isn't so hot. They uses maces, which use Magic Attack for damage rather then strength.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Jrpgs were never really that popular in the mainstream in the west beyond games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Poke'mon and a few others. FFVII helped the genre gain ground and attention, which spurred on more localizations of games from around the genre, but that doesn't mean that a lot of those games sold particularly well. Fan favorites like Suikoden seres peaked at 200k sold in America with III, its most popular entry - by way of sales. Sure, there are exceptions. In particular, Persona 3 and 4 did extremely well for Atlus USA. As did Demon's Souls, and even with all that reception, it took Demon's Souls a year to reach 500k units sold. Still, that's pretty good for being a system exclusive.

It is a massive myth that FFVII popularized the genre; it didn't. It popularized the words Final Fantasy. It also helped bring over better, but far less popular products. But no one ever really saw as much success as Square did with Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts and Nintendo with Poke'mon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DapperDuck posted:

tl;dr version: Red Mages were terrible, then great! But now they suck again.

As someone who played FF11 in 2004-2005 this was actually really interesting. I do remember sometimes intentionally tanking as a RNG/NIN if the tank went down and impressing my parties (It was really easy to draw massive amounts of hate with Barrage) or taking the TP hit to switch to a crossbow with sleep bolts to sleep a link.

It's too bad the quick-thinking aspect was usually not there and the most you had to do was wait for your puller to come back and press attack

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
[FF7 talk]

That's what I remember. I remember thinking of FF7 (well, actually FF8 but let's roll with it) as, "oh, it's like Dragon Warrior in 3D" not "This is a new thing."

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
For me FF7 was a totally new thing. Super mario RPG was the first time I ever heard the term RPG, and I watched my friend play it when he got it, but didn't understand it. As for FF7, my favorite genre in the 8 and 16 bit eras were platformers and pc adventure games. So the very idea of FF7 enthralled me. I remember thinking "how does he kill people with his sword if you only use a menu? You mean it doesn't work like Zelda?" :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I actually agree with this despite being the person who originally slammed the SaGa series to start this whole conversation.

RS3 is the only game in that series I can bear long enough to play to completion; it feels like it does the best job of utilizing SaGa mechanics without just being a crazy busted shitshow or having some ludicrous set of additional gimmicks. And no weapon-use limit!

I wonder how much of that is also just because it's the visually appealing 16-bit one, though. I'm a sucker for those pretty SNES sprites.

I can't dig up the links right now, but there are a ridiculous number of Japanese RS3 fan hacks out there that add all sorts of crazy poo poo, including enemies from the PSX games and whatnot.

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

You are a very bad person. :catstare:

e: That cartoon is painful.

You are - this is actually a really good stream.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

And I'm done again. I just beat FFV two times in a row.

Ironically, I'd say this Hardmode Four Job Fiesta was harder then the low level game I finished before this. :v:

First job was Monk. Monk is a fairly nice job to start with. It hits hard and is easy to manage though the first world, it drops off in the second but manages to get a boost with the Kaiser Knuckles to make it good again by endgame. (1000 a Punch with just Attack is nothing to sneeze at.)

White Mage was the second job. Suddenly healing was never a problem again. White Magic is incredibly good. It may not have any fancy tricks like other jobs, but the simple healing and basic buffs are invaluable. Then you hit endgame and get Holy and suddenly it changes from pure support to primary damage dealer. So how good is White Magic healing? The only other group heal (baring stuff like Flame Ring abuse) is White Wind, which is tough to get on this challenge. And Holy, boosted by the Sage Staff, is the strongest attack spell in the game. Notice how I ended the Exdeath fight at full health while most people end it with half the party dead and critical HP.

Third was, well Berserker. And I didn't even sign up for Berserker risk! Luckily, I rather lucked out with Berserker. The primary times in the Four Job Fiesta the Berserker is a liability is when fighting the Sandworm, and trying to learn Blue Magic. I didn't have a Blue Mage so that was no problem. And since I had a White Mage, Sandworm was no problem. It was mostly there. Then I got the Rune Axe. While damage varied, it quite regularly did around 4000 damage a hit. In other words, it was matching a Boosted Holy. Half the boss fights in the Rift were me sitting back, healing occasionally and letting Lenna smash everything with that axe. :v:

While still not optimal, Berserker is at least usable in this game. And I admit I got good jobs to go with it.

Finally, Black Mage. Rather interesting, but still good. Black Mage is a powerful job. It's elemental spells boosted constantly wrecked things until Holy (Flare is sadly, unwheming). And the best part is that I could just stick White Magic on it and have two high magic healers! And Black Magic worked great on White Mage, giving it not only more magic and MP, but offensive options when no healing was needed. Finally, Black Magic let my Berserker use Rune Axe without any worry at all.

All in all a fairly strong team. It wasn't overpowering, if only because it is some of the simpler classes. 3 of the 4 are from the Wind Crystal, and one is Berserker. The jobs there (except the Blue Mage) are all simple classes meant to ease you into the game, and their abilities are simple to match. So while Black and White Magic are good, I didn't have dual casting to make things totally insane. No time magic for haste and Quick. Monk is good, but it really would have worked better with Ranger for Rapidfire, or Knight would have worked well. Equip Swords or Heavy Armor would have been fantastic on Monk. While Berserker would have liked had agility boosts from Thief and buffing opportunities from Bard.

So basically an ideal challenge for me. It was difficult, but not overly so. I had some strong jobs, but not the absolute strongest. And Berserker for comic relief!

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
All this talk of FFV has made me stop playing my expensive AAA game (dragon's dogma)and run the snes version of V again. I'm not doing a four job run just yet, since i never actually finished the game first time round. At the moment I'm en route to the earth crystal, just hit crescent island and my loadout is:

Thief-turned-Ninja Bartz
White Mage-turned-Time Mage Lenna
Knight-turned-Mystic Knight Galuf
Black Mage-turned-Caller Faris

Pretty much steamrolling fools left right and centre, only problem I had so far was when Bilbios killed everyone in the first thirty seconds of the fight because Lenna got Slowed, but other than that things are going smoothly.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I spent the vast majority of my time playing FFXI as Red Mage, so the addition of Mystic Knight and Geomancer really kind of irks me. I guess it's karma, really. RDM's were king back in the day.

As a RDM, I had Refresh, Haste, Convert, decent heals and the best debuffs in the game which made me very popular. People would practically beg me to party with them, while other jobs like Dragoon and Puppetmaster were practically like lepers. When the cap was 75, RDM and Bard were the two most in-demand jobs there were.

Plus, RDM was one of the best solo classes in the game, especially with a NIN sub. RDM\NIN with full buffs was practically invincible. RDM always had utterly pathetic dps, but they could pretty much survive indefinitely and outlast most monsters.

Also, RDM/DRK with Chainspell stun was one of the most broken things ever.

Abyssea kinda killed that. Everybody had amazing buffs. No more did people require Refresh or Haste, they had the automatically. In Abyssea, monsters die so fast that you barely even have time to cast debuffs on them - it was like grinding in a classic Final Fantasy where you get into a random encounter, click the fight command a bunch, hit all monsters for 9999 damage and win in one turn, rinse repeat.

Final Fantasy games are known for having really terrible balance and broken mechanics, and this one was no exception. I think the game honestly has too many jobs - many of which that have the same general role.

Also I did the math, and if you subscribed to FFXI for every month since launch over the last 10 years, it would be roughly about $1,440 at $12 a month. Many characters

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's a real boner that he can't learn EXIT though, because my original party was Fighter/Monk/Thief/RM and that meant I couldn't loot the Masamune and warp out of the Temple of Fiends :(

:eng101: Red Mage can't learn Exit or Warp. Red Wizard can learn both. White and Black Mages also have to wait for promotion to learn those spells. FF1 makes sure that no party misses out on the sublime joy of Earth Cave backtracking or getting out of Ice Cave alive.

So long as you keep some spell slots open on your RM until after promotion, you can have your Masamune just fine.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Final Fantasy games are known for having really terrible balance and broken mechanics, and this one was no exception. I think the game honestly has too many jobs - many of which that have the same general role.

It would definitely be much better balanced if it had a much narrower assortment of jobs (especially melee jobs), I agree. The last thing the game honestly needs is MOAR JOBZ. What it needs is a complete overhaul of the enemy TP move mechanic.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So I decided to start another Hard Mode Fiesta for the fun of it. I just got my Earth job:

Monk/Summoner/Ranger/Monk.

This should be incredibly interesting.

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
Got my jobs for FJF pt. II.

Knight/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Samurai.

I think I'll be grinding for those Fire Rings in World 1. Otherwise healing is going to be a bit limited. Mystic Knight will be nice to have and give me more reason to do Fork Tower. I'm fighting every battle this time around to have a powered up Brave Blade.

What are the odds of getting both Knight and Samurai on two subsequent playthroughs?

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
I've been slowly chipping away at the fiesta during my free time with a team of Thief/Berserker/Mystic Knight/Dragoon.

I skipped the Death Scythe like an idiot and had a hard time of things in the second world; my Berserker's role was pretty much to be a forth target and reduce the damage from party-wide attacks. The only boss I had to retry more than once in world two were the crystals.

I just got to the third world, and man - that Chicken Knife is ridiculous. Melusine lasted two turns with a firaga-powered knife. I immediately grabbed the Holy Lance, Rune Axe & Assassin Dagger to complete my setup. Battles end really quickly now and I'm gaining levels like crazy from all the fleeing I did before.

Outside of a few select fights I think I'm home free for the remainder of this challenge. Any tips on Omega? I know spellsword hurts him really bad and I think flame rings absorb one of his really powerful attacks, but I have literally played this game all of one time before so I don't exactly remember.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Finally decided to sit down and beat the Fiesta last night. Having some trouble getting my pictures from my phone to the computer, but I'll talk shop anyway and put up the pictures later.

Blue Mage is nuts. White Wind is one of the best healing abilities in the game, Mighty Guard is hands-down the best buffing ability in the game, and you can put on any status except for I think confuse with just your spells. Its utility had kind of tapered off by the last couple of bosses, but it still had White Wind/Mighty Guard and it was still putting out solid damage with Magus Rod/Aeroga. Prior to endgame there probably wasn't a single boss I couldn't cheese out to at least some degree with some combination of rods, status effects, and Level x spells. Awesome, awesome class.

Thief was kind of a mixed bag. On the plus side, INFINITE HIPOTIONS helped until I could get access to White Wind, and some of the gear steals were pretty helpful. !Flee also helped me get the Chicken Knife fully charged (especially since I can't run away from battles normally with my busted-rear end DS). On the other hand, Thief's got bad damage and bad defense, so I was basically using it as my backup Blue Mage for chunks of World 2 and almost all of World 3. Overall useful support class, but I'd hate to play it without also having one of the powerhouses on my team.

Ranger was very helpful, Rapidfire and the Chicken Knife are just a nutso combination. Not a lot going on here, but it was a very solid addition to the team.

Berserker wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be (some derpiness during the Crystals and Neo-Exdeath notwithstanding), but it's still not a great class to have. It didn't help that !Blue doesn't actually give that high of a magic score, so Rune Ax wasn't putting up very good numbers. In fact, I ended up ditching it halfway through world 3 for a Titan Axe and Artful Dodger/Hermes Shoes. The Titan Axe was doing about as much damage, but with AD/auto-haste I was doing it super-fast, so I was putting up better numbers overall.

Overall, good team, the challenge was a ton of fun. I doubt I've got it in me to play through V again this year but I'll definitely be going again next year.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
It's time to tackle the void. Can our heroes seal Exdeath once and for all this time?

http://www.justin.tv/cube89

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Hilariously, the video I took for NeoExdeath was so long that the video refuses to load, thus I have no death pic for him. Seriously, it took over 30 minutes. At least this should suffice.

The Rift wasn't too hard. I changed my tactics to having my Red Mage wield the Chicken Knife and spam Focus. Pretty much had no trouble from any of the bosses on the way to Exdeath with that combo and Berserker.

I spent the first phase of Exdeath boosting myself with Hero's Rime/Swift Song while my Berserker took him down. The second part was a mix of my Bard alternating between Doublecast Cura and Swift Song, my Monk throwing items, my Berserker 'Serking, and my Red Mage using Focus. Though Grand Cross did zombify two party members, the worst thing it did was inflict old on my Berserker, making her useless. Once it got down to the final part, I landed a killing blow with my Monk, who I forgot could actually hit worth a drat thanks to Hero's Rime boosting the crap out of his damage output. Oh well, more preparation and that foresight and it probably wouldn't have taken thirty minutes to kill him.

Overall, it gave me new appreciation for these jobs. Doublecast is still useful even with just Red Magic, since layering Protect is useful. Monks can still be useful with Equip X abilities, as my Monk was dealing 2k damage with the Titan Axe. The ever-useful Berserker with Equip Harps can wreck poo poo with a Rune Axe. Hero's Rime is loving amazing for long battles.

Overall, Bard was my MVP, due to Equip Harps boosting Berserker, Songs being awesome, and being better with Doublecast than Red Mage. Monk's the stinker since even weaker magic can be useful, and Red Mage has better equipment options. Still, Monk was great for the beginning, and I didn't really have trouble with any boss besides Byblos.

A nice team that compliments each role well yet still manages to have a nice challenge factor. Overall, a good run.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Registered for a second run through hard mode, up to Bal Castle in world 2. Gilgabot is suspiciously kind to me: Blue Mage/Knight/Ranger/Chemist. Two overpowered teams in a row is nice, though I was kinda hoping for a bit more challenge this time.

Since I'll actually be able to use both, any thoughts on Brave Blade vs. Chicken Knife with this team?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Vil posted:

Registered for a second run through hard mode, up to Bal Castle in world 2. Gilgabot is suspiciously kind to me: Blue Mage/Knight/Ranger/Chemist. Two overpowered teams in a row is nice, though I was kinda hoping for a bit more challenge this time.

Since I'll actually be able to use both, any thoughts on Brave Blade vs. Chicken Knife with this team?

I'd say Chicken Knife, since you have X-Fight. I just HATE not being able to run away, since many random battles in, for example, the Void, are way more trouble than they're worth.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Vil posted:

Have you run away at all? If so, go with the Chicken Knife. Otherwise, tough out the random battles and get the Brave Blade.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'm honestly not a fan of the Brave Blade, I passed it up with a Knight too in my hard run this year. Knights get a great legendary weapon anyway (+5 Str, holy damage) and Chicken Knife is a good Rapidfire or even Goblin Punch weapon.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I know most people are doing Fiesta but I wanted to ask about FFXII Zodiac edition, as in has anyone had extensive time playing it?

I know its basically Buy The Strategy Guide: The game, and I can always reference gamefaqs but I want ask goons who know their poo poo whats up.

Right now I'm playing with Breaker, Knight for tanks, White, Black, Red, and Time mages to fill out the rest. I figure that covers all my healing/buff/debuff bases. All the other 'classes' in the zodiac seem to just be various melee/range attackers with little utility.

Stealing seems to be kind of a waste of time. Ditto for Poaching.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

and Chicken Knife is a good Rapidfire or even Goblin Punch weapon.

Actually, amusingly enough, the Chicken Knife is the worst Goblin Punch weapon. While its actual attack power goes up from running, its Goblin Punch/Throw power never does. Goblin Punching with the CK is worse than using the original Knife that you start with.

The Excalipoor is probably one of the best Goblin Punch weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Berk Berkly posted:

I know most people are doing Fiesta but I wanted to ask about FFXII Zodiac edition, as in has anyone had extensive time playing it?

I know its basically Buy The Strategy Guide: The game, and I can always reference gamefaqs but I want ask goons who know their poo poo whats up.

Right now I'm playing with Breaker, Knight for tanks, White, Black, Red, and Time mages to fill out the rest. I figure that covers all my healing/buff/debuff bases. All the other 'classes' in the zodiac seem to just be various melee/range attackers with little utility.

Stealing seems to be kind of a waste of time. Ditto for Poaching.

Are you just asking for a team rating? That's a pretty good team. Probably a bit light on good item users and Techniques, but most techniques are still pretty terrible so that's fine. So-so physical ranged damage, but you have crossbows with your Time Mage and handbombs with your Breaker. And it doesn't matter since your Black Mage can nuke almost anything. No team can do everything well, which is part of the fun and challenge of adding a job system.

Stealing is good for making money and unlocking stuff in the bazaar (and getting some good equipment off of rare game monsters).

Yeah I'm honestly not a fan of the Brave Blade, I passed it up with a Knight too in my hard run this year. Knights get a great legendary weapon anyway (+5 Str, holy damage) and Chicken Knife is a good Rapidfire or even Goblin Punch weapon.

There are a lot of ways to use the Chicken Knife. Rapidfire, as you mentioned. Other options: Focus, Mug, Jump, Dance, and with 2-swords when your top weapon is a Double Lance. Probably some I'm forgetting, too.