Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

Some of the posts in this thread are kind of boggling to me and smell of the same kind of attitudes hipsters get when something has become too mainstream.

I don't really agree with a lot of the opinions posted in the last few pages, but this is an awfully defensive attitude about something that doesn't really matter if you ask me. Not liking Act 6 is a valid and understandable opinion, even if I like it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Thundarr posted:

Also, it looks like he already has his roboleg prepared for when cuts off his own.
i hope uu makes prostheses as well as he makes fanart.

I wonder what headcanon voice UU/uu are gonna get assigned; I hope uu ends up sounding like Wrath from the first fullmetal alchemist anime.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I feel like half of this thread has turned into uu and the other half into UU. It's great.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I guess I wasn't thinking very clearly this morning, because I totally forgot that Roxy's unpowered Window is right above where Dream Roxy is floating. So DreamRoxy has an easy way to get back to her house, at least until Dirk plugs that window in.

(The other kids and trolls could conceivably do the same, but somehow I doubt they will)

Is it terrible that I kinda want Meenah to try to use the window to come back to "life" and for her to dissolve like here?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Plom Bar posted:

It was implied by the lighthouse puzzle at the beginning of 6.3 that Jane's dreamself survived somehow, possibly by doing some Lifey Thing. There are plenty of things hanging around to interact with Roxy's corpse, maybe one of them will try to bite her mouth and that will count as a kiss.

Only works when a player does it (pretty sure).

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

creationist believer posted:

I feel like half of this thread has turned into uu and the other half into UU. It's great.

those who became Roxy were all banned for drunkposting

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

For some reason today's update didn't show up as new when I went to MSPA so I didn't realize anything had happened for the longest time and was really confused about what everyone was discussing!

These deaths don't surprise or move me much. Big twists and surprises and revivals and afterlifes and so on and so forth have become so common that I didn't raise an eyebrow at Roxy dying besides "I guess this might be her alternate way into the Medium", and Jane's death felt downright inevitable.

Hussie deserves credit for continuing to find novel ways to deliver story (uu's evil little monologue and goofy fan-art helped spice these events up), but somehow the actual content still feels like we're grinding through necessary busywork. It's a strange feeling to see major characters get killed and still want to say "Yeah, yeah, we know, let's keep it moving."

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

snucks posted:

i hope uu makes prostheses as well as he makes fanart.

I wonder what headcanon voice UU/uu are gonna get assigned; I hope uu ends up sounding like Wrath from the first fullmetal alchemist anime.
I personally can't stop imagining uu being voiced by Ghostface from the Scream movies.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I actually spent the past few days re-reading Act 6, and while I'll save most of my comments for a more appropriate time, what I got from it most relevantly is that I'm not at all scared for Jane's well-being. She's not only got the lifey thing, but she was basically guaranteed to outlive Dirk and Roxy. Sure, that may have meant their dream selves, but it works just as well for our purposes. That being said, Roxy pretty much has to survive this, because she's by far the most interesting and entertaining character that's been introduced this entire act. The only way I'd be cool with this is if she joined Vriska's Coalition to gently caress poo poo Up. Actually, I think that would be my preferred direction for the story to go either way.

Dolash posted:

For some reason today's update didn't show up as new when I went to MSPA so I didn't realize anything had happened for the longest time and was really confused about what everyone was discussing!

Same here. I probably need an update notifier that isn't this very thread.

loquacius posted:

Bye bye Li'l Sebastian
Miss you in the saddest fashion
Bye bye Li'l Sebastian
You're 5,000 candles in the wind :cry:

Let's face it. He was doomed from the moment he received that name.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Really I think it bears repeating that 16-year-olds are not exactly paragons of wisdom and critical thinking. The same could be said of the B1 kids, sure, but at least in their case they didn't have any real relationship hangups/hormones going on to cloud their judgment, which is why I'm inclined to give the B2 ones a pass. Then again, I was also one of the few Harry Potter fans who didn't want to outright strangle the protagonist by the end of book five so v:shobon:v

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hrm, the individual pages for the multi-kid update just showed up on the sidebar. There were more updates than could fit in the sidebar -- I guess that's why he hid them all away like that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God dammit that's why my phone's notifier went off. Now I have update blueballs.

I think I need to go to sleep now.

KoB
May 1, 2009
It looks like Roxy is pretty dead.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Welp, I guess none of the B2 kids are going god-tier. I thought for sure that Jane was going to at one point. :smith:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
And there go the lanterns.

:(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

drat, Dirk has to do everything, doesn't he? Set up the client/server connections, try and bail everyone out of jams, live...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It looks like they're all kind of dead.

Except Jake.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dirk's light still flickers, and Jane's should light up again as per the Myststuck tablets.

Bobulus posted:

I guess I wasn't thinking very clearly this morning, because I totally forgot that Roxy's unpowered Window is right above where Dream Roxy is floating. So DreamRoxy has an easy way to get back to her house, at least until Dirk plugs that window in.

If that happens will Roxy kiss Roxy?

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Dolash posted:

Hussie deserves credit for continuing to find novel ways to deliver story (uu's evil little monologue and goofy fan-art helped spice these events up), but somehow the actual content still feels like we're grinding through necessary busywork. It's a strange feeling to see major characters get killed and still want to say "Yeah, yeah, we know, let's keep it moving."

Haha, you know? I totally agree with you on this. It's why everyone getting shocked by these deaths kinda puzzles me. I mean, we already knew they would all lose their dream selves, and Jane too now, according to this last update. It's just as obvious none of them are permanently dead, that would be really stupid and poor storytelling (why spend all that time developing characters that get killed off halfway through their arc?)

And he knows we know all this, which is why he clumped them all together in one big update (possibly so what impact is lost due to predictability is made up for by magnitude), and why he had uu narrate it - so that something more useful is conveyed, that is, uu's characterization. Honestly, the deaths really were a kind of busywork. Roxy's surprised me, but that's just me, I guess I wasn't expecting it happening like that. But Seb was the real tragedy of that update. Poor Seb. Now both bunnies are gone... wait, what if Liv was the empty Juju, and thus always doomed, meaning Seb is destined for one of the uU boxes? Yay he might live! Everything will work out after all! :buddy:

I still think they're going to reach god tier somehow, but it will take more shenanigans than usual. If not then, eh, they're all probably okay, and the Scratch kids will be useful nonetheless.

Hey, I wonder what Hope does.

^^^^^
I was pretty sure those tablets were referring to Jane's dreamself being shanked by Jack, and then returning to life with the lifey thing. I guess it could relate to both, but I somehow doubt Jane is absolutely invincible. Being impaled with the Red Miles is probably a very different thing than being stabbed in the gut.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 27, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
My take is that Jane real body will die and her dreamself will take over. Even if Dirk managed to kiss Jane, where would she go? The teleporters are now blocked. There's not much else for her to do than to die again, which would be permanent if she died again. It's much better that her real body die on Derse, then the White Queen wakes up her dreamself. She's in safe territory at Prospit.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

closeted republican posted:

My take is that Jane real body will die and her dreamself will take over. Even if Dirk managed to kiss Jane, where would she go? The teleporters are now blocked. There's not much else for her to do than to die again, which would be permanent if she died again. It's much better that her real body die on Derse, then the White Queen wakes up her dreamself. She's in safe territory at Prospit.
The dreamself doesn't pick up exactly where the waking self left off, it just wakes up wherever it was on Prospit/Derse/The Battlefield/wherever. The kiss is still necessary to make that happen.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Plom Bar posted:

The dreamself doesn't pick up exactly where the waking self left off, it just wakes up wherever it was on Prospit/Derse/The Battlefield/wherever. The kiss is still necessary to make that happen.

Ah damnit I forgot about that. Reading your post made me remember when Sollux was revived. Oh well. :shobon:

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Only works when a player does it (pretty sure).

The kiss has to be from royalty; the players are just honourary royalty of their moons. So one of the Queens (or Meenah) could definitely revive the players.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Starmaker posted:

Haha, you know? I totally agree with you on this. It's why everyone getting shocked by these deaths kinda puzzles me. I mean, we already knew they would all lose their dream selves, and Jane too now, according to this last update. It's just as obvious none of them are permanently dead, that would be really stupid and poor storytelling (why spend all that time developing characters that get killed off halfway through their arc?)

I think in the case of myself(and maybe others), the surprise was more from the fact that it looked a hell of a lot more like Dirk's dreamself was going to bite it here. (Being stuck around two different friends in danger who he needed to save.) And then he ended up being the only one that lived.

Not to mention I think in the case of Roxy, people assumed that her dreamself would be the one to die, given fitting into the pattern of the other kids, and especially given her real self wasn't even in the Medium yet.

Additionally, I think some of us settled into the notion that Jane would keep both of her selves alive and not just one, following the implication from the prophecy about her lantern being the only one lit while the others fade. I figure the Lifey Thing may make that still happen, however.

Although, if you just mean all the people going crazy thinking all the characters are now perma-dead, then.. I dunno, I guess half of it may be people who are genuinely easily confused by this comic(there are a lot of people like that!) and the other half are trolling.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
for people who don't want to play myststuck again specifically for this:

quote:

Our lights of Heart and Void will each follow in time, long after our extinction. One will be extinguished, and then another, leaving only Life as the guiding light. But they should remain long enough to illuminate the Maid’s path, and assist her with the housekeeping we have left behind.
the implication being that Jane will be the only B2 kid left alive at the end of this all. which, honestly, is starting to become believable. the only thing i can think that would save roxy right now is if the meteor kids came to earth and corpsesmooched roxy before the universe was torn apart by red miles. so... maybe this is a beta timeline? that would be kind of a huge copout.

snucks fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 27, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Midnight Raider posted:

I think in the case of myself(and maybe others), the surprise was more from the fact that it looked a hell of a lot more like Dirk's dreamself was going to bite it here. (Being stuck around two different friends in danger who he needed to save.) And then he ended up being the only one that lived.

Jake didn't die though?

Starmaker posted:

^^^^^
I was pretty sure those tablets were referring to Jane's dreamself being shanked by Jack, and then returning to life with the lifey thing. I guess it could relate to both, but I somehow doubt Jane is absolutely invincible. Being impaled with the Red Miles is probably a very different thing than being stabbed in the gut.

Like Midnight Raider said; the tablets included a prophecy that Dirk's and Roxy's lights would go out but Jane's would stay lit.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

snucks posted:

for people who don't want to play myststuck again specifically for this:

the implication being that Jane will be the only B2 kid left alive at the end of this all. which, honestly, is starting to become believable.

But Jake's light went out before Jane entered her session. And he wasn't dead. So the lights, in my mind, were implied to be the death of dreamselves.

So the prophecy can come true and all four kids can live, but their god tier chances are greatly reduced.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I wonder if PM can revive a kid/dreamself? She technically is royalty. Are carapaces even capable of kissing? Or do they have some other way to okay I won't go down this path any further.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Lord of Laughton posted:

Are carapaces even capable of kissing?

Canon Carapace Kisses: Spades Slick and Snowman were capable of hatesnogging, at the very least.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

creationist believer posted:

That's the thing about the cherubs. They were already here.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
What I find is blowing my mind is how much things have turned agianst the kids. I mean, not too long ago Dirk was offing Derse's agents and Jane was solving ancient enigmas left and right.

DD really upped the ante with the Miles.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So I'm guessing if Roxy enters the medium through a revived dreamself, those carapace friends of hers are all done for, eh? She probably won't have time to mourn, which is a pity since that was an interesting little thread.

I think part of what may have made these two deaths underwhelming (among other factors) is that the red miles killing them feels a tad arbitrary. It could've just as easily not killed them and just have been something scary going on around them, or killed some other characters whose deaths would've been less narratively convenient. They died from it just because hey, the story needs a few particular deaths to move forward, and death by red miles will do. It could've just as easily been a roof collapse.

These updates still had a fun framing device that helped characterize uu, like Starmaker said, but if anything this just seemed to suggest that even Hussie knows these deaths aren't that shocking.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

The next update can only be one of these things:

-uu's official introduction
-Checking in on Jack's progress re: escaping the Prospitian prison
-Calliope derping around some more
-Checking in on John and Jade

And the one thing it definitely will NOT be is the return to Land Of Rambling And Exposition via Jake, dreamRoxy, or injakesheadDirk because Hussie not-so-secretly hates us all.

edit: Also, what's with all the PI avatars? What did I miss?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Plom Bar posted:

Somebody gave many people them a couple pages ago, don't know why.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Plom Bar posted:

The next update can only be one of these things:

-uu's official introduction
-Checking in on Jack's progress re: escaping the Prospitian prison
-Calliope derping around some more
-Checking in on John and Jade

And the one thing it definitely will NOT be is the return to Land Of Rambling And Exposition via Jake, dreamRoxy, or injakesheadDirk because Hussie not-so-secretly hates us all.

You forgot the obvious. The next page posted will be that exact shot of the lanterns with green curtains closing around it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

So do we know why today's update has volume control on it?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

YF-23 posted:

So do we know why today's update has volume control on it?

I don't see a volume control?

But my guess is the answer would be that Hussie clearly has a standard wrapper for his flash animations that includes the pause/start over button and a volume control. Maybe he forgot to remove the volume control since this doesn't need one.

(And maybe he uploaded a fixed version later which I'm seeing, cause I see no volume control.)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Well I see it:

I guess it might be my browser (I'm using Opera)? Other not-sound flashes don't have it though.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

He uploaded a fixed version later, refresh your cache maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Dolash posted:

So I'm guessing if Roxy enters the medium through a revived dreamself, those carapace friends of hers are all done for, eh? She probably won't have time to mourn, which is a pity since that was an interesting little thread.

If she enters that way, I'm pretty sure her planet won't appear, which we know is supposed to happen based on the LOCAH flash.