Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.

E the Shaggy posted:

Is Battle Royale 2 worth watching at all? I loved the first one, but have only heard bad things about the sequel.

Back when I was ignorant and young and ate up anything that was violent I tried watching that movie with some friends. We all loved the first one but couldn't make it through BR2 without talking over it and making fun of it the whole time. It was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Sir Lemming posted:

Was I dumb enough to miss The Artist or what? I remember a big hubbub about it coming to Netflix with limited exclusivity or whatever, but I still don't see it on there.

Or am I dumb NOW and just not seeing it?
It's not on Netflix yet. The exclusivity deal means Netflix gets to air new Weinstein Company movies ahead of television channels like HBO or Showtime, not day and date with rentals and sales of physical discs.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Aren't some of those coming back? I could've sworn 12 Monkeys was on Instant before.

I originally watched Raising Arizona on Instant, but that was at least 2 years ago. I think this is the first time it's come back since then.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

For anyone wondering, Battle Royale 2 is a loving awful movie with no redeeming qualities and you should avoid it like the plague.

I remember when it came out and the marketing blitz in Japan was huge. I got maybe 45 minutes into it before I stopped paying attention entirely and turned it off probably 20 minutes later. The first BR was a hokey piece of poo poo but it at least had Takeshi Kitano to keep it watchable. BR2 doesn't have that.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I just noticed last night that Ed Burns' Newlyweds is one streaming currently. If you're into dialogue heavy films, this should be a good one for you.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

AndyP posted:

Don't care what anyone says, I love The Fifth Element. :colbert:

I think most people do, at least around these parts. It's a fun movie. Having access to that and 12 Monkeys is gonna be great.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Sometimes I think Netflix has minor lapses in rights they just need to resign. I know Bonnie and Clyde has been on again, off again on/off instant. The restored Metropolis returned after like 3 weeks from coming off instant. The Iron Giant was on Instant for a while, went off in like February, and mysteriously showed back up on instant recently.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Luminous posted:

I think most people do, at least around these parts. It's a fun movie. Having access to that and 12 Monkeys is gonna be great.

Of course, own it on blu. And you're right about 12 Monkeys - love that movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

LaptopGun posted:

Sometimes I think Netflix has minor lapses in rights they just need to resign. I know Bonnie and Clyde has been on again, off again on/off instant. The restored Metropolis returned after like 3 weeks from coming off instant. The Iron Giant was on Instant for a while, went off in like February, and mysteriously showed back up on instant recently.

My favorites are The Terminator and Rocky which both seem to go off Instant all the time only to return a day later.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

My favorites are The Terminator and Rocky which both seem to go off Instant all the time only to return a day later.

Crank 2 stopped once while I was watching it, and I had to restart my PS3. When I opened up Netflix again, the movie was nowhere to be found.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Parachute posted:

Crank 2 stopped once while I was watching it, and I had to restart my PS3. When I opened up Netflix again, the movie was nowhere to be found.

That's incredibly amusing. The movie should start playing in reverse and then slowly fade to black. Or it should just get fuzzier and fuzzier until it's nothing but blobs of colors. Or they could hire a CGI team and a sound team to make atlernate versions of every movie with no characters in them, and slowly the movie should start losing characters until you're just watching empty scenes.

OK, that last one is a little out there. But Netflix is really missing an opportunity to go full on cyberpunk corporation with their streaming DRM.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Parachute posted:

It did this to me with Julie and Julia. My mother and I started watching it late one night and it started acting strange. I stopped it and restarted Netflix and it was gone and since that the Starz relationship ended, it hasn't come back since.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

TychoCelchuuu posted:

OK, that last one is a little out there. But Netflix is really missing an opportunity to go full on cyberpunk corporation with their streaming DRM.

If a movie is removed from Netflix while you're watching it, the movie should slowly degenerate into that weird Netflix-produced framerate test movie they made with the guy doing the moonwalk while holding a laptop and reciting Shakespeare.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Ironclad is a drat fine movie. Watch it if you like moves like Braveheart and Black Death. It has got crazy good gore in it.

Pimpcasso fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 27, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Daedra posted:

Ironclad is a drat fine movie. You watch it if you like moves like Braveheart and Black Death. It has got crazy good gore in it.

Ironclad did little for me really. However, Paul Giamatti cranking the ham up to 11 is pretty wonderful. The rest of the cast didn't interest me that much and it was basically just gore and gore and gore without much of a story. Centurion felt like it was almost the same movie, and that's not exactly a good thing.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Daedra posted:

Ironclad is a drat fine movie. You watch it if you like moves like Braveheart and Black Death. It has got crazy good gore in it.

OK, I've been on the fence on this one, but simply on the strength of this recommendation, I'm going to :getin:

This better be good!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SRM posted:

Ironclad did little for me really. However, Paul Giamatti cranking the ham up to 11 is pretty wonderful. The rest of the cast didn't interest me that much and it was basically just gore and gore and gore without much of a story. Centurion felt like it was almost the same movie, and that's not exactly a good thing.

The characters and such are pretty bland overall but makes up for it with action sequences that really capture the pants making GBS threads fear involved in a medieval siege.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I didn't have a movie stop on me in the middle of playing it, but I came close. When Monty Python's Flying Circus came off instant, I was watching an episode somewhere around midnight/1am eastern time. I put another episode on and finished it too; however, my hopes to be able to watched more were dashed when I discovered all traces of the show on instant had vanished.

TrixRabbi posted:

Come to think of it, I queued up Terminator back in May because I saw it was coming off. I never got around to it (I have the DVD anyway) but I felt like it never left the top 5 of my queue.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
What are some good weed documentaries? I watched AKA Tommy Chong and it was passable, but How the West was Weed was completely unwatchable

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Mustached5thGrader posted:

What are some good weed documentaries? I watched AKA Tommy Chong and it was passable, but How the West was Weed was completely unwatchable

Grass (narrated by Woody Harrelson) is pretty good.

Ironclad was basically what the Ridley Scott Robin Hood movie should have been. It was definitely good in a sense of capturing the medieval siege mentality and the gore was worth the price of admission. It's not a great movie but it was an entertaining movie - unlike Robin Hood.

Black Death with Sean Bean (on streaming still) is another recent medieval flick that was surprisingly decent, though a lot less gory and over-acted.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Super High Me by Doug Benson is good too.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

SRM posted:

I read the first recommendation and got excited...only to be let down by this response immediately following it. Every time I saw Ironclad thumbnail while scrolling I for some reason expected it to be some no-name piece of crap....that actually is crap.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Ironclad is total shlock, but it's really, really fun shlock. It reminds me a lot of old 80s fantasy movies like Yor: Hunter from the Future and Hawk the Slayer.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey guys, all three seasons of Beast Wars are on streaming.

You're welcome :colbert:

Also, I thought this was interesting:

One of these things is not like the other.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 28, 2012

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I thought I had never seen Trainspotting before, but I just finished and I totally forgot that I've seen it plenty of time :psyduck: How the heck do I forget about a fantastic movie?!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CapCityGoofBall posted:

I thought I had never seen Trainspotting before, but I just finished and I totally forgot that I've seen it plenty of time :psyduck: How the heck do I forget about a fantastic movie?!

Heroin.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey guys, all three seasons of Beast Wars are on streaming.

You're welcome :colbert:

Also, I thought this was interesting:

One of these things is not like the other.

I love you -- and I know how my day will be spent now. Vacation days are the best!

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Is The Chinese Connection a good martial arts movie? It's a Bruce Lee picture from the 70s. I'm thinking of watching it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Is The Chinese Connection a good martial arts movie? It's a Bruce Lee picture from the 70s. I'm thinking of watching it.

Yes.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Unfortunately it's a terrible 4:3 transfer with ridiculous English dubbing on Netflix Streaming. Too bad.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I can't believe there's a documentary about a loving font. Whatever you do, don't watch Helvetica.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What? Helvetica is a great documentary.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Unfortunately it's a terrible 4:3 transfer with ridiculous English dubbing on Netflix Streaming. Too bad.

Actually now that I think about it, I've never seen it not look like poo poo.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

I thought it was awesome too, and I'm not a super pretentious design nerd.... at least I don't think I am.

After watching it I found myself smirking at lovely store signs much more often though.

gently caress.

donJonSwan fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 28, 2012

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

donJonSwan posted:

I thought it was awesome too, and I'm not a super pretentious design nerd.... at least I don't think I am.

After watching it I found myself smirking at lovely store signs much more often though.

gently caress.

Well poo poo, I'm convinced!

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Helvetica is a fine movie, just don't become That Guy after you watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t87QKdOJNv8

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Is the Western category nonexistent on netflix now? Or can anyone recommend some good/classic westerns that are up?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

big business sloth posted:

Is the Western category nonexistent on netflix now? Or can anyone recommend some good/classic westerns that are up?
I don't have a subscription anymore so I can't check, but watch Hud if it's still on there.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Speaking of documentaries, finally got around to watching Zeitgeist this afternoon.

:stare: I'm going to watch it again tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Speaking of documentaries, finally got around to watching Zeitgeist this afternoon.

:stare: I'm going to watch it again tonight.

Zeitgeist is absolutely terrible though. All of their "facts" are completely uncited, and it goes into this whole weird new world order angle. Don't watch zeitgeist.

• Locked thread