Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Kimura vs this guy doesn't really feel like an exciting match-up, even with exaggerated rage and desire for vengeance.

It is the most likely scenario though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

okay at this point I should just skim the thread every once and a while and read the chapters in which takamura is the focal point, because those are the only good chapters we get anymore.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
I think that it'd actually be pretty cool if Aoki retired or was out of the game for a little while and Kimura went up a weight class. I think it'd be enough of an advantage that Kimura would unlock some hidden ability and be a halfway interesting character.

What should happen is Takamura drops all the weight necessary to fight the guy himself and just beats the poo poo out of him.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
How would this random rear end in a top hat go from fighting (and admittedly outclassing) Aoki to fighting Takamura? Why would he ever even accept that fight?

I also don't really get how Kimura beating the poo poo out of the fighter is really supposed to teach his sociopathic trainer a lesson. But whatever, I guess that's what we're going to get.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Drop every character in the Kamogawa Gym except Takamura, and have him train Sendo. Have them take on the world, and then end the manga when they discover the ultimate boxing technique that lets you challenge light speed out-boxers like Miyata, Itagaki, Woli, and Martinez by punching in every possible space in the ring at once. Since this is shounen, having a Japanese World Featherweight Champion will cause world peace and lead to a new generation of super-boxers that are like ten times as powerful as their parents.

The protagonist of Hajime no Nibanme will be the son of Ippo, Miyata, and Ippo's monster junk, who will be upstaged by far more interesting characters at every turn.

Mario Reindeer
Jan 13, 2006
Ask me about causing a miscarriage with my fist!

Yabari posted:

But a fight with Sendo wouldn't have any impact on us

Which is exactly why Morikawa would do it :v:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

tbp posted:

Are you kidding? It's so obvious I'm shocked there's even discussion. You guys do remember that Kimura stays a weight-class lower because of Aoki, right?

That's true but Kimura isn't an exceptionally good boxer (outside his one match with Mashiba). Though I guess that sort of qualifies it as an idea "too dumb to say".

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I am excitedly awaiting the Takamura-sensei that will last for four panels before he gives up because Kimura sucks :allears:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh Ippo, I keep on telling myself that you're not good, that I should leave you but, when things seem to have reached bottom, you go and do something so nice for me. I am really sorry, I know it has to be my fault for not comprehending you better.

See you next week!

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, it seems most plausible that Kimura would move up a weight-class because Aoki is now too hosed up to box. I thought for a moment that that would be cool, but then I remembered just how loving long and tedious this manga is nowadays. I don't know about you guys, but one long-rear end Kimura arc was enough for me and this new guy ain't no Mashiba.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 1, 2012

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Bit of a thread revival, (hasn't been a chapter in awhile?), but finally got around to reading RRR. And yeah, just echoing the opinion that it was really, really good.
It felt a little rushed in the end, but it told a complete story, which is something HnI will probably never do considering the pace of it all.
The fights also feel more like the early days of Ippo, where there weren't as many gimmicks and light speed teleportation. Morikawa really needs to simplify things instead of having these long multivolume fights with comeback upon comeback.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

So you guys might be interested in this spoiler from the most recent raw.

Ippo is going to be fighting a world ranked Mexican boxer, whose only losses are against Ricardo Martinez. Vorg is also apparently ranked 1st in WBA, WBC and IBF and is going to fight for a world title (I don't know which).

Basically, oh hey it's that plot development we've been waiting a decade for.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Don't kid yourself, it'll still be terrible.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Mr. Deathy posted:

So you guys might be interested in this spoiler from the most recent raw.

Ippo is going to be fighting a world ranked Mexican boxer, whose only losses are against Ricardo Martinez. Vorg is also apparently ranked 1st in WBA, WBC and IBF and is going to fight for a world title (I don't know which).

Basically, oh hey it's that plot development we've been waiting a decade for.

There's no way. This is like finding the holy grail

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

tbp posted:

Then finding out it was filled to the brim with poo poo. A few years ago when the fights were entertaining this would be awesome, but now? Nope.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Vorg didn't change weight classes did he? If not we get to see him get his poo poo pushed in by Ricardo.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Fabricated posted:

Vorg didn't change weight classes did he? If not we get to see him get his poo poo pushed in by Ricardo.

Nope, he moved up to Jr. Lightweight. I'm glad, since I like Vorg and don't want to see him destroyed just to motivate ippo or something.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ANIME AKBAR posted:

since I like Vorg and don't want to see him destroyed just to motivate ippo or something.

...again.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Look who's got a new chapter. Will this be a turning point for the manga?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Huzzah! posted:

Look who's got a new chapter. Will this be a turning point for the manga?

Spoiler: Nothing happens!

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I looked at the raw for that one like a month ago or more. Man the translators are really slow. I get that Ippo isn't considered hot poo poo nowadays, but there's never even any quick, low quality scanlations. :|

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Despite literally nothing happening, I did think it was kind of interesting that Ippo seems to be developing some despair related to being a prodigy. Realizing that you're just better than some of the people who helped you become what you are, and that you've basically made stepping stones out of those you consider friends, and getting angry at yourself or even depressed about it isn't something I can remember seeing in a shounen story before

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Sanguinia posted:

Despite literally nothing happening, I did think it was kind of interesting that Ippo seems to be developing some despair related to being a prodigy. Realizing that you're just better than some of the people who helped you become what you are, and that you've basically made stepping stones out of those you consider friends, and getting angry at yourself or even depressed about it isn't something I can remember seeing in a shounen story before

I agree, but I also agreed with this line of thought literally years ago, when the manga dealt with this issue multiple times before.

Granted, the finality this time around is different, but I fail to see any other difference to the idea. In short, it was another boring as gently caress chapter to me. (Am I still going to read new chapters? Yes. Because I'm a dumb idiot who truly believes that this manga can pull up from the terminal nosedive it's been in for the past...gently caress, I don't even know how many years.)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

tbp posted:

There's a point where the manga has been of such low quality for such an absurdly long duration that there is no holy grail. This is just a drop of water in the desert, a ploy to keep people reading while Morikawa continues to plumb ill-fitting cliches for his fights and have Ippo look into the middle-distance while saying he has so much to learn.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
So we have two compelling characters that pretty much *have* to quit boxing now leaving, and in exchange we get....some retard that makes puns and teleports while wanting to rape Ippo?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
it's left open ended. we're gonna see how they get their groove back.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Boogaleeboo posted:

So we have two compelling characters that pretty much *have* to quit boxing now leaving, and in exchange we get....some retard that makes puns and teleports while wanting to rape Ippo?

A character so interesting I literally can no longer remember his name and think of him as "that zwee fighter"

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 978

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Takamura continues to be the sole redeeming factor in the manga.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Does anyone really expect any different from Status Quo no Ippo?

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011
well at least it confirmed the idea of kimura moving up a weight class. I doubt morikawa would mention that without actually acting on that.

Oh wait. Morikawa is a retard.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Chapter 979

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I just want Aoki to succeed. Come on, Morikawa, you use deus ex machinas for Ippo and the speed-twerp, give one or two to Aoki.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

It's going to be poo poo when Itagaki becomes Japan champ and Aoki and Kimura are still putzing around doing nothing.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ah, dick jokes. Perhaps the days of former glory are coming back after all.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Bringing out the big guns and getting a proper handle on things now

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Ah, dick jokes. Perhaps the days of former glory are coming back after all.

oh my balls!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
More like Hajime no Chinpo.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Chapter 980

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

morikawa is finally getting around to something he should have done 200 chapters ago.