Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ruby is a somewhat strange language. i don't know what to think of rails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

lol if you are not separating each disk as a separate lun

each sql server instance should have 7-9 luns, fiber as fast as possible, and the logs should be raid 1

our current prod server is setup properly, but vmware has convinced our server janitors that sql server will run just fine on vmware no matter how they set it up.

i dont think they understand that it would require we guarantee 100% of the resources configured for the sql vms (preferably 100% of host resources) or that those vmware docs/sales guys are assuming we understand that when they say its ok to use vmware disks for sql they mean on separate luns, not one big fat shared one.

its gonna be a nightmare.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

ur luns. show them to me

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Shaggar posted:

our current prod server is setup properly, but vmware has convinced our server janitors that sql server will run just fine on vmware no matter how they set it up.

i dont think they understand that it would require we guarantee 100% of the resources configured for the sql vms (preferably 100% of host resources) or that those vmware docs/sales guys are assuming we understand that when they say its ok to use vmware disks for sql they mean on separate luns, not one big fat shared one.

it's ok to give 100% of a host to a single vm, vmotion alone makes that worth it

but if they're talking about putting sql server data and log disks on vmdks, gently caress no, use rdms

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah im fine w/ dedicating 100% of host resources to a single vm and then doing HA w/ an identical other vm host. Essentially making the 2 physical hosts into 1 virtual host. thats the right way to do it.

but whats gonna happen is they're gonna kinda maybe start out that way. the disks are deffo gonna be vmdk. and then they're gonna have a need for a few more servers for something else and our sql server doesn't neeed all those resources so they'll throw some vms on there with the sql server and screw up the resource management and the disk i/o will go to poo poo

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

PROLOG :q:

Or Factor, a language only counts as weird if you can run it backwards.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

each sql server instance should have 7-9 luns, fiber as fast as possible, and the logs should be raid 1

ITYM RAID 10

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sulk posted:

gooby on rails

also i had to install mssql for some eve online thing i was working on and it took me 8 hours to get the drat thing actually installed and working jesus what the gently caress microsoft your installer doesn't even work and somehow broke my registry and removed system view permissions on everything having to do with SQL server what the gently caress

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
and this is why you only ever run windows in a vm

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Ruby, Haskell and Prolog are out because I've already had to learn them. I'm checking out F# tho.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

ZShakespeare posted:

Ruby, Haskell and Prolog are out because I've already had to learn them. I'm checking out F# tho.

I learned all 3 of those in a class did you go to UA or was it just another place had the same class

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

graph posted:

ur luns. show them to me

lol

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Zombywuf posted:

ITYM RAID 10

at the san level raid 1 is basically raid 1+0 since you just allocate logically what u need and don't worry about disk layout, unless you have a scrub san

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

ZShakespeare posted:

In that case clojure might be interesting too.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Ronald Raiden posted:

I learned all 3 of those in a class did you go to UA or was it just another place had the same class

SFU. It's a comparative PL class. Basically we learn poo poo other than Java/C# in the hopes that maybe lessons learned from non–imperative languages will make us better coders. Also poo poo like like differences between static/dynamic typing and binding and how you can compile python code into whatever other lower level language you want and have it run pretty much as fast.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i took that class like 6 years ago

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

ZShakespeare posted:

SFU. It's a comparative PL class. Basically we learn poo poo other than Java/C# in the hopes that maybe lessons learned from non–imperative languages will make us better coders. Also poo poo like like differences between static/dynamic typing and binding and how you can compile python code into whatever other lower level language you want and have it run pretty much as fast.

noice

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

ZShakespeare posted:

Yea, same. It was also called comparative programming at UofAz, really fun class.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
lol that class at SFU uses learn you a haskell now

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Sulk posted:

what do you find strange about it

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

fidel sarcastro posted:

animu

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

fidel sarcastro posted:

net/http

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

tef posted:

net/http

such an amazing piece of poo poo,

ruby why

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tef posted:

Clojure, Erlang are good choices for weirdness.

And both have interesting approaches to think like concurrency / state handling and discrepancies. If these are things that are interesting to you, I would pick between them based on whether you prefer to write server software or more desktop-like applications.

Erlang's model is well-adapted to servers, and when you expect to have many of them and do some potential distribution or handle hundreds or thousands or hundreds of thousands of clients, it's a good language to work with. It abstracts away a lot of hardware concerns and lets you focus on things a step higher when it comes to concurrency and parallelism.

Clojure, as far as I know, takes an approach where it's about running parallel/concurrent stuff on a single machine, and dealing well with multicore. You'll have to tackle similar issues, but with a higher focus on sharing/handling different versions of data, whereas Erlang would be a lot about handling inevitable failures and discrepancies of distributed poo poo.

Then there's Go, but I never looked into it enough.

iwas
Jan 21, 2006

clojure is pretty cool and if you start learning it you can use lighttable which looks pretty interesting

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

ZShakespeare posted:

You won't find a whole lot of things that are new to you in F#/ML if you already know Haskell, though. Especially if you also already happen to know Scheme. And if you don't you probably should :)

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

ZShakespeare posted:

I can't remember, have you learned lisp

if not, learn lisp

start with mccarrthy's original paper which is very readable and shows just how simple the language can be

next imo read the little schemer which is a painless way to learn old school scheme in just few hours since it's barely more complicated than mccarthy's original version

finally you're ready for sicp which is basically a book on how to think recursively which doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize iteration ⊂ recursion at which point I have expanded ur mind and you're welcome

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
alternatively: don't learn lisp

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

learn lisp by skimming sicp

remember that youre probably not learning lisp in order to be able to program in lisp

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Learn Lisp by using Emacs. Remember that you're only learning it to make Emacs more awesome.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

how about no!!!!!

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Zombywuf posted:

Learn Lisp by using Emacs. Remember that you're only learning it to make Emacs more awesome.
sorry but thats gross

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
using emacs would be like touching RMS, that's gross. Contributing would be like eating his scabs.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Ronald Raiden posted:

using emacs would be like touching RMS, that's gross. Contributing would be like eating his scabs.

if you hate rms you should not contribute to emacs and instead have children

human children, not half-human half-parrot grotesque freak children

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
if you want to troll rms then write some awesome software that alters the course of human progress for the better and give it away but make it closed source

if it involves european folk dancing and/or parrots allthe better

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Ronald Raiden posted:

yeah thats what I said, though going into that much detail describing it is also gross. almost seems like you enjoy thinking about it, ugh

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Ronald Raiden posted:

Yea, same. It was also called comparative programming at UofAz, really fun class.

go devils

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
lisp is really good because instaed of getting all aspergers about syntax you can simply write software and use that cs degree you studied so hard for for real

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
nooo asu sucks! Acceptable college teams are UA wildcats and Cal Bears.

Also whatever your college team is, idc much really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

PrBacterio posted:

yeah thats what I said, though going into that much detail describing it is also gross. almost seems like you enjoy thinking about it, ugh
he probably wouldn't let anyone else eat the scabs anyway, he needs those. To be disgusting.