Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

mootmoot posted:

I'm sure you've made money but have you done well out of it?

Gosh you're so right again! It's not the money that's important but the wealth of experiences!

Mootmoot the wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mootmoot posted:

Why anyone would want to buy a bike older than two years old is beyond me.

I just got my 1983 GS650 so we could be birthday buddies forever.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Get out of this thread mootmoot

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Benefits of an old vehicle:

1. 30%-70% under the cost of a new vehicle
2. You don't have to worry about bad things happening to it
3. You're a rude dude who likes kicking roads in the nuts

Benefits of a new vehicle:

1. New smell?
2. :confused:

The only difference between a new vehicle and an old vehicle is a person is trying to hock an old vehicle on me because something is wrong and he's tired of fixing it as opposed to a dealer who is trying to get a cut of the sale. I can't fix the mechanical failure of depreciation when I turn a key but I can fix bad plugs and a head gasket leak.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
Yes well those of us who opted to do subjects at school like Maths, English Lit, and the Sciences rather than Machine Shop or Woodwork have no idea how to do those kinds of shenanigans.

We have to pay people to come and fix our bikes for us.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You don't have to stop learning just because you leave school.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm self-teaching myself math up to vector calculus over the summer and have built and restored multiple vehicles. You really have no excuse for not knowing how to play with Big Boy Lego.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
mootmoot is an officer in her majestys colonial army with aspirations to be a lawyer, and as such delegates any and all dirty work to enlisted proles who come from shabby council estates, as befits his status in society.

also you retards should stop engaging his trollbait, he doesn't even have an sv, he's riding its fat sister the bandit 600 at the moment.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's fun though :allears:

Here: Have a picture of my friend dragging knee on a saddle-bagged bone stock Bandit 600.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
The front tire is shot on my old/ugly/cheap/working class/meth-head SV but the rear has a good amount of tread depth remaining. I am trying to decide if I want to replace the front with a new one of the same type, if they're still available, or replace both with something different.

Current tires are Dunlop Sportmax. If I get both new tires I am thinking of Michelin Pilot Power 2's based on reviews and research. This is going to be for commuting and light touring.

Any suggestions?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What's the age on the tires? I'd probably just replace both with a set of PR2s.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
0604 in the front and 1303 in the back, so I guess that answers my question. I should have known to look first.

e: oh that's funny, I said Pilot Power 2's but I actually meant Pilot Road 2 so I guess I'll go ahead with that

Alceste fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 18, 2012

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Now that I've cleaned/rebuilt my 2001 SV's front master cylinder, I'm now looking at the brake system of my other SV (year 2000). The 2001 has stainless steel brake lines and Pazzo-knockoffs, along with EBC HH pads - great brake bite and all. But the 2000 SV is just okay, being fully stock. The front master cylinder piston/seal assembly is fine, but definitely aged. There's apparently some squeaking coming from the front brakes as well. My gf wants me to improve my front brakes, so that they match my riding style better (aggressive). What is the best bang for the buck that I can do for the front brakes? The only thing the P.O. did in his four years of owning that bike was lube the calipers, replace the pads, and bleed the brakes. Should I do a front-calipers rebuild?

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 18, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

GSXR front. Absolutely the best upgrade for these bikes in my opinion.

I regularly would brake only using my ring finger because they were extremely powerful and precise. You can probably get an entire front end assembly together for ~$400 and you won't be disappointed at all.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My old K5 SV650 had a GSXR1000 front. It was great, but I think I'm gonna stick with the forks I have on my bikes (mainly cuz I don't have any sheltered workspace/garage).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Start with good pads and fresh fluid. EBC HH is where I'd start, although everyone likes different characteristics out of their brakes.

If you want more after that, just go straight to the Brembo MC.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I did some reading around and apparently R6 master cylinders are the poor man's version of the Brembo. Would this one do?

Edit: nvm... I think I should be checking out the late-model R6 MC's.

Edit2: confirmed by z3n. :)

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 18, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-Yamah...#ht_1081wt_1132

You want that style, although that one was linked for example purposes only.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011

Z3n posted:

Check, clean, and lube your chain, and check your sprockets.

Thanks, that was it. I thought I had been doing pretty well with chain maintenance but I guess not!

Having this forum to ask questions is great, everything else I googled about my issue was pretty much along the lines of "BIKE IS hosed AHH"

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

New owner of my bike said it died at an intersection and wouldn't start up again. Said it would barely crank a few times and then... nothing. Put a new battery in it and said it fired right up.

This concerns me because I'm assuming it's either the stator, rectifier, a bad ground,or the rare and hopeful case of an internal short in the previous battery. I wanna help him fix it because he's a cool guy and we've actually be hanging a lot. He puts 50-100 miles a day on it. Any idea what could be causing it?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

You'll need a multimeter. Others may have model specific advice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Likely either a wiring short, or an R/R failure. Stator failures on SVs are pretty uncommon.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Figured it out! The R/R ground wire's channel-locked splice came undone. I told him to bring it on over after he gets a jump at the gas station and I'll rewire all that for him in like 15 minutes.

PO :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fired up the track SV this morning...clutch pushrod seal I replaced a couple weeks ago is pouring oil. So any options other than replace it again and clean the area really good?

On a positive note for a bike that has been sitting for 1-1.5 years it fired right up with no choke and idled pretty good on bad gas.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Selling my 04 SV650s OEM lowers in blue. $500 get em.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sicarii posted:

Thanks, that was it. I thought I had been doing pretty well with chain maintenance but I guess not!

Having this forum to ask questions is great, everything else I googled about my issue was pretty much along the lines of "BIKE IS hosed AHH"

What did you end up doing though?

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Can anyone tell me somehow what a "normal" amount of chain noise is?

I scrubbed my chain over the weekend with uncut Simple Green and a chain brush until it was shiny and nothing black came out, rinsed it with distilled water, wiped it dry, and sprayed it (not excessively but enough to get it wet) with that Teflon lube that comes in the blue can at Lowe's. I let it sit overnight before riding.

Prior to that, I had removed the wheel to mount a new tire, and I was careful to get the alignment marks exactly matched on both sides when I replaced it, though I didn't do any actual measurements. I believe the tension is set to spec as well, as I have the FSM for reference.

Since then it has been making exactly the same noise as it did before, which is a kind of slisssh slisssh slisssh that I can hear when I ride past something that reflects the sound back to me. It varies with vehicle speed, as you'd expect, so on the highway it goes SLISHSLISHSLISHSLISH and I can hear it past the wind if I'm close to a barrier or wall.

No clicks or thunks, and no stuck links according to my close inspection while cleaning. Just that slish / swish kind of sound.

My only other bike was a belt drive so maybe I'm stupid and/or inexperienced, but this seems unusually loud to me.

The chain itself, according to the seller, is not very old--but it had been replaced before the bike sat in a garage for the next five years. Do chain O-rings degrade over time if they're sitting still?

Alceste fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 26, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's the sound chains make when they're fresh, clean, and nicely lubed. If it's not excessively stretched, isn't tight spotted, etc. you're good.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That's a relief! I was on the expressway to/from lunch today for the first time on a bike, doing 70+ along with traffic, hearing that sound and thinking "please don't break" while trying to figure out how I could possibly have screwed up something as easy as degreasing and lubing it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Where's a good place to order a set of brake pads from? None of my usual spots seem to have a complete set available...

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Is it safe to use Simple Green on a chain? I thought degreasers like that wore down O-rings and generally only kerosene was ok?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
No idea, but I've been using Pro Honda High Performance Chain Cleaner (a spray application) that I picked up at the local Harley dealer. It works pretty good, and results in much less mess (no pouring kerosene in another container and then getting it everywhere).

My usual thing was kerosene and then spray lube. Now I'm using that spray cleaner and Bel-Ray chain grease... those 2 take up much less space and needs way less cleaning-up. Woo.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 27, 2012

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Works surprisingly well. I'm now the coolest guy to roll up to the local criterium.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Details?! How much would one of those run for?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That looks like a great sidewind sail.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

The thing feels like 1/4 of a passenger, basically. The bicycle is about 20 pounds and it's just a bunch of holes so wind goes right through it. No real crosswind issues. Took it on the highway for 40 miles to a race and back and it worked fine. I could still rail around corners like normal.

The rack can be purchased at 2x2 Cycles: http://2x2cycles.com/

I'm happy with it versus the other homemade versions I've seen.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

The thing feels like 1/4 of a passenger, basically. The bicycle is about 20 pounds and it's just a bunch of holes so wind goes right through it. No real crosswind issues. Took it on the highway for 40 miles to a race and back and it worked fine. I could still rail around corners like normal.

How do you resist the temptation to wheelie it till the bike wheel touches down

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

echomadman posted:

How do you resist the temptation to wheelie it till the bike wheel touches down

Probably the oil starvation issues while holding wheelies for an extended period that SV650's suffer from :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Edit: Nevermind

• Locked thread