Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I mean in regards to displayport, there are plenty of adapters out there
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=display+port

As far as scaling goes, that is best left to you video card if you have one capable. What are you trying to hook into the display that cannot output qhd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

Get one with a couple DisplayPort outputs and some DP->DVI-DL adapters. They'd be a bit pricey, but not much more on top of the three displays.

I just won a new Apple DP-DVI-DL adapter for $50 on eBay.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess 27" WQHD is the new 24" WUXGA.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

BrettRobb posted:

I mean in regards to displayport, there are plenty of adapters out there
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=display+port

As far as scaling goes, that is best left to you video card if you have one capable. What are you trying to hook into the display that cannot output qhd?

Be careful - most of those adapters won't work. Most DisplayPort-compatible hardware supports "dual mode" operation, that lets the system output a single-link DVI or HDMI signal over the DisplayPort pins for a passive adapter, but that only goes up to 1920x1200. If you want a 2560x1440 or x1600 monitor to work, though, you'll need an active dual-link adapter like this one rather than a cheap passive adapter or cable.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 25, 2012

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Space Gopher posted:

Be careful - most of those adapters won't work. Most DisplayPort-compatible hardware supports "dual mode" operation, that lets the system output a single-link DVI or HDMI signal over the DisplayPort pins for a passive adapter, but that only goes up to 1920x1200. If you want a 2560x1440 or x1600 monitor to work, though, you'll need an active dual-mode adapter like this one rather than a cheap passive adapter or cable.

I learnt this the hard way. I ended up buying an apple original one.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BrettRobb posted:

This goes pretty far in depth as to what the different trims offer.
http://www.swiftworld.net/2012/04/14/budget-korean-27-ips-monitor-information-and-comparison-of-the-different-brands-and-models/#QH270-LITE

From what I'm reading, the $500 dollar ones, are just the $300 ones with more ports and some basic scaling. You're better off getting an adapter of some kind and getting the cheap one.

That being said, I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CROSSOVER-2...#ht_7730wt_1163

That is a very useful link, adding to OP!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That reminds me:

I bought a PCbank Pb2700 Super, got it last week.

Quick rundown: Awesome, 2 bits of dust under the glass though, plus a small discolouration that's like 3x3 pixels,
plus 2 tiny scratches that are only visible in certain angles, speakers are a bit tinny, but functional for Alerts and stuff like that. They're pretty low.

It came with a DVI-D Dual cable that's 1M long or so, plus a 1.5 m-m minijack audio cable, the power adapter was there as well,
but not the actual power cable for the socket, oddly enough. The Adapter doesn't heat up or anything.

It hums on some websites with a lot of Black text on White background, like wikipedia, but thankfully not on SA ( Except for some OPs. )

Downloaded a .icc someone made for it, and the colours on this thing is just amazing, as is the viewing-angle.

Both gaming and viewing video on it is great, as long as you turn off the lights, since the screen is pretty drat reflective.

It's got Tilt and Swivel, it swivels very easily, and starts wobbling pretty easily as well. You need to use a bit of force to tilt the thing,
but once you've tilted it, it -stays- tilted, so that's good.

And for the make-or-break for some people: I bought it from Pallascopi, and it was Customs-Declared at 150USD.
Fedex shipped it ( And managed to send it to the wrong address here in Norway) And I still haven't heard a single peep from customs about it,
despite it having gone a week.

2560x1440 is pretty damned amazing, too... Now I just need something a bit newer than a 5850. ( By the by, the seller claimed it wasn't compatible, but it works perfectly)

Definitively worth it though, A, would buy again.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Just want to make sure, its fine to clean a Dell U3212HM with isopropyl alcohol that's 50% by volume, right? I don't want to end up ruining the anti-glare coat.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Haeleus posted:

Just want to make sure, its fine to clean a Dell U3212HM with isopropyl alcohol that's 50% by volume, right? I don't want to end up ruining the anti-glare coat.

I'm no expert but I've been cleaning matte surface LCDs with higher concentrations of isopropyl since 2001 with no ill effects. I'm also really careful about it and I never go nuts with it. You'll never have to clean it again unless you get dirty finger prints or food spray over it. If its just dust I blow it away and use a very soft tipped paint brush to brush it clean.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Haeleus posted:

Yeah, use a soft lint-free (microfiber works well) cloth and don't go crazy with the iso and you should be fine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SubNat posted:

That reminds me:

I bought a PCbank Pb2700 Super, got it last week.

Quick rundown: Awesome, 2 bits of dust under the glass though, plus a small discolouration that's like 3x3 pixels,
plus 2 tiny scratches that are only visible in certain angles, speakers are a bit tinny, but functional for Alerts and stuff like that. They're pretty low.

It came with a DVI-D Dual cable that's 1M long or so, plus a 1.5 m-m minijack audio cable, the power adapter was there as well,
but not the actual power cable for the socket, oddly enough. The Adapter doesn't heat up or anything.

It hums on some websites with a lot of Black text on White background, like wikipedia, but thankfully not on SA ( Except for some OPs. )

Downloaded a .icc someone made for it, and the colours on this thing is just amazing, as is the viewing-angle.

Both gaming and viewing video on it is great, as long as you turn off the lights, since the screen is pretty drat reflective.

It's got Tilt and Swivel, it swivels very easily, and starts wobbling pretty easily as well. You need to use a bit of force to tilt the thing,
but once you've tilted it, it -stays- tilted, so that's good.

And for the make-or-break for some people: I bought it from Pallascopi, and it was Customs-Declared at 150USD.
Fedex shipped it ( And managed to send it to the wrong address here in Norway) And I still haven't heard a single peep from customs about it,
despite it having gone a week.

2560x1440 is pretty damned amazing, too... Now I just need something a bit newer than a 5850. ( By the by, the seller claimed it wasn't compatible, but it works perfectly)

Definitively worth it though, A, would buy again.
drat you people and your swiveling Korean monitors. :argh: My PCBank only had tilt. :smith:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
The alcohol will probably be fine. But.

Unless your displays are covered in serious gross stuff, a lightly damp (with water) microfiber cloth is sufficient to clean pretty much every display I use. I don't see the point in using any possible extra solvents.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mediaphage posted:

The alcohol will probably be fine. But.

Unless your displays are covered in serious gross stuff, a lightly damp (with water) microfiber cloth is sufficient to clean pretty much every display I use. I don't see the point in using any possible extra solvents.

I usually default to iso because 99% of the time the culprit is some sort of body grease or food grease.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I usually default to iso because 99% of the time the culprit is some sort of body grease or food grease.

Right, but a damp, quality microfiber cloth will have little difficulty taking that off.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

mediaphage posted:

Right, but a damp, quality microfiber cloth will have little difficulty taking that off.

Without iso or some other solvent(god forbid) or soap, you're not going to get 100% of any oil off of the screen regardless of the cloth used. I'd rather not deal with soap and iso evaporates on its own. The microfiber will definitely help with reducing residue from the iso evaporating. Using a higher quality iso or lower concentration should help with residue as well.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
gently caress me, only a week and my U3212HM has a stuck pixel, I think it's red...

I hope I can exchange it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
You can. They'll even cross-ship you a new panel, assuming by "they" you mean Dell.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Yeah, you literally could be staring at a new display the day after you get in touch with them. They overnight you the replacement.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

May not be the right thread, but wanted to ask about HDMI cables. Never really bothered with them other than for my 360, but I want to try and stream stuff from the laptop to my TV.

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-Gear-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340669636&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi

Is that something that would work? Cheap as gently caress, but tons of great reviews. Is that a bad brand or not even the right thing?

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

rawrr posted:

Yeah, you literally could be staring at a new display the day after you get in touch with them. They overnight you the replacement.

No such luck on speed, they say it will take at least a week. Probably because I'm in Canada. Whatever, I'm happy I got this taken care of without hassle.

Karl Sharks posted:

May not be the right thread, but wanted to ask about HDMI cables. Never really bothered with them other than for my 360, but I want to try and stream stuff from the laptop to my TV.

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-Gear-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340669636&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi

Is that something that would work? Cheap as gently caress, but tons of great reviews. Is that a bad brand or not even the right thing?

Wow, that's a ridiculous price; don't worry about brands or high-priced cables. I always get the cheapest HDMI cables I can find and I've never had an issue yet, though I admit that price is way lower than I would have expected.

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 26, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Karl Sharks posted:

As long as they meet the spec, cables are cables. Be careful buying cheap stuff on Amazon that you don't end up with one of the "drop shipped from China" sellers - it'll literally end up on the slow boat from China. You can usually tell by the shipping speed/estimated delivery date. If you need it soon, just look for one of the "fulfilled by Amazon" ones; those are sitting in an Amazon-owned warehouse waiting to be shipped out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Without iso or some other solvent(god forbid) or soap, you're not going to get 100% of any oil off of the screen regardless of the cloth used. I'd rather not deal with soap and iso evaporates on its own. The microfiber will definitely help with reducing residue from the iso evaporating. Using a higher quality iso or lower concentration should help with residue as well.

?

That's weird, because anything I spend a few minutes buffing with a damp microfiber cloth has approximately zero visible oil or grease.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Haeleus posted:

No such luck on speed, they say it will take at least a week. Probably because I'm in Canada. Whatever, I'm happy I got this taken care of without hassle.

I am in Canada too, and they overnighted me a display via puralator 3 times.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Space Gopher posted:

As long as they meet the spec, cables are cables. Be careful buying cheap stuff on Amazon that you don't end up with one of the "drop shipped from China" sellers - it'll literally end up on the slow boat from China. You can usually tell by the shipping speed/estimated delivery date. If you need it soon, just look for one of the "fulfilled by Amazon" ones; those are sitting in an Amazon-owned warehouse waiting to be shipped out.

All I know is that it looks like it'd fit, other than the male-to-male thing I don't much about the specs really. I just wasn't sure how complicated it was trying to find the right type, like RAM or something.

But for <$2 and free shipping (says it'll take 3-5 business days, FYI) why the hell not? Wouldn't need it until the fall, anyway.

Haeleus posted:

Wow, that's a ridiculous price; don't worry about brands or high-priced cables. I always get the cheapest HDMI cables I can find and I've never had an issue yet, though I admit that price is way lower than I would have expected.

Free shipping, too. Has 4.5 stars with 6k+ reviews, surely it can't be too bad :v:

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...
Has anybody had any luck getting these Korean monitors to work under Ubuntu? I currently have a GeForce GT 430 card and am close to pulling the trigger on an Achieva for work, but came across a few posts/bug postings stating that the screen resolution is limited to 640x480 after the monitor is in use( https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+question/193195).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SuddenExpire posted:

Has anybody had any luck getting these Korean monitors to work under Ubuntu? I currently have a GeForce GT 430 card and am close to pulling the trigger on an Achieva for work, but came across a few posts/bug postings stating that the screen resolution is limited to 640x480 after the monitor is in use( https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+question/193195).

I think there's something to do with the EDID, I think someone in this thread posted about how to fix that. There's really no good reason why Linux will refuse to work with the display, I think you just need to add some elbow grease/dive into Xorg.conf a bit, perhaps.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

berzerker posted:

Well, I took a gamble on a non-pixel-perfect Potalion. I figure it's a pretty expensive upgrade, I probably won't notice that there are dead pixels if there even are any, and if I ordered perfect and got one with dead pixels I'd be SOL anyway since I'd be on the hook for shipping it back to Korea, so the guarantee isn't really worth much anyway.
Now the waiting game.

Update for anyone interested in getting a Catleap Q270 through green_sum: Received it yesterday and it's beautiful with no pixel problems at all that I've seen so far. Keep in mind that's without the extra $70 for pixel perfect.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

berzerker posted:

Update for anyone interested in getting a Catleap Q270 through green_sum: Received it yesterday and it's beautiful with no pixel problems at all that I've seen so far. Keep in mind that's without the extra $70 for pixel perfect.

Is there a consensus on whether or not pixel perfect is worth it? I wouldn't mind a dead pixel or two on the edges of the screen but something like 10+ stuck/dead pixels I don't think I could be happy with.

I know those are stuck, not dead but I figure with the perfect pixel guarantee you'd at least have a good chance of not getting a crazy amount of stuck pixels like that. Is that just wishful thinking? Are certain sellers recommended wrt this issue?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Is there a consensus on whether or not pixel perfect is worth it? I wouldn't mind a dead pixel or two on the edges of the screen but something like 10+ stuck/dead pixels I don't think I could be happy with.

I know those are stuck, not dead but I figure with the perfect pixel guarantee you'd at least have a good chance of not getting a crazy amount of stuck pixels like that. Is that just wishful thinking? Are certain sellers recommended wrt this issue?

It would be worth it in my mind if I were buying a Dell or something where I could actually return it if the QC failed and I got dead/stuck pixels. Since that's not the case here (without paying out the rear end for shipping a monitor to Korea), the guarantee is essentially useless. Of course, you're somewhat more likely to get lots of bad pixels on a non-perfect order, I guess, since they'd stick any obvious mediocre panels in that batch. It's still a crapshoot, though, and I'd rather save the $70 for an upgrade in a year or two if I'd gambled and lost.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I got my Catleap in today. It's awesome so far, but it sits too high. What is the best way to lower it? I can't use a clamp, since I use an old metal office desk that has no over-hangs. Mine was also from GreenSum. Oddly enough, 4 of the pins on the DVI cable were bent, but I have another one I was gonna use anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

I got my Catleap in today. It's awesome so far, but it sits too high. What is the best way to lower it? I can't use a clamp, since I use an old metal office desk that has no over-hangs. Mine was also from GreenSum. Oddly enough, 4 of the pins on the DVI cable were bent, but I have another one I was gonna use anyway.
My PCBank sits too low. Let's trade :cool:

Looks like you'll have to use an aftermarket stand.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
My Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" 2560x1600 has like three stuck pixels but when you're dealing with panels with such PPI, you honestly don't notice them unless you're working on something that is always black.

And it took me like 3 years to notice the stuck pixels :doh:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Josh Lyman posted:

My PCBank sits too low. Let's trade :cool:

Looks like you'll have to use an aftermarket stand.

Ya, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for one. I could only find one on Monoprice and it only supported up to 24" but I have a feeling it might fit. Still, it's around $50 for a maybe. $50 for one I know will fit and works well is more than acceptable.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Pulled the trigger on a Catleap from green-sum this afternoon to go with my new pc. Will post thoughts when it shows up!

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

fookolt posted:

My Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" 2560x1600 has like three stuck pixels but when you're dealing with panels with such PPI, you honestly don't notice them unless you're working on something that is always black.

And it took me like 3 years to notice the stuck pixels :doh:

I've got one on my ZR30W and I'm just not feeling like dealing with HP support. It appears that the blue subpixel is actually malfunctioning since it only shows up when I'm looking at something completely black.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

So, I've run into a strange problem. On my new Catleap monitor, when I try to play certain games, the cursor is not accurately showing. For example, in Mount and Blade, it just sits in the lower left quadrant. Menu items will highlight and operate correctly, but the cursor isn't moving at all. This is a huge problem, because I can't move around on the world map competently at all. In BF3, the cursor shows in the wrong place, but moves properly. This is rather annoying because if I have to adjust menus or choose who to spawn on, its now showing in the right place and it takes a lot of trial and error to get there. What is going on here? The game resolutions are set correctly.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

VulgarandStupid posted:

So, I've run into a strange problem. On my new Catleap monitor, when I try to play certain games, the cursor is not accurately showing. For example, in Mount and Blade, it just sits in the lower left quadrant. Menu items will highlight and operate correctly, but the cursor isn't moving at all. This is a huge problem, because I can't move around on the world map competently at all. In BF3, the cursor shows in the wrong place, but moves properly. This is rather annoying because if I have to adjust menus or choose who to spawn on, its now showing in the right place and it takes a lot of trial and error to get there. What is going on here? The game resolutions are set correctly.

are you using an ATI card/multiple monitors?

Cursor distortion on said setup has been an issue in their drivers for years.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

are you using an ATI card/multiple monitors?

Cursor distortion on said setup has been an issue in their drivers for years.

Nope, single display with a GTX670.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you can "move" the cursor so that other screen elements change (highlighting, being selected as you say) but the cursor itself doesn't move, that sounds like a software issue, not a monitor issue. Maybe try reinstalling/changing the drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Fatal posted:

It appears that the blue subpixel is actually malfunctioning since it only shows up when I'm looking at something completely black.

If you're going to have a stuck subpixel, blue is the best color for it to be; our eyes are less sensitive to it by a considerable margin. I've had a stuck blue subpixel on a monitor I've been using for 7 years now, and I have never noticed it when I wasn't actually looking for it (and even if I look for it, it's hard to find).