Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well, YEAH, but I was wondering if there was anything that the two symbolized other than just being badasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Both wrote very well known treatises on war, two officers certainly would have read Clausewitz and Saxe.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there anywhere that has a list of things changed in dialogue for other languages? I'm thinking along the lines of in Men in Black when J says "NYPD means Knock Your Punkass Down" and how that would have been changed into, say, German.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Handsome Dead posted:

Is there anywhere that has a list of things changed in dialogue for other languages? I'm thinking along the lines of in Men in Black when J says "NYPD means Knock Your Punkass Down" and how that would have been changed into, say, German.

Well, in Toy Story 3 when Buzz goes from speaking English to Spanish... in Latin American markets they made it so he went from speaking Spanish with a Latin American accent to a parody of Spain Spanish. Then in Spain they made it so he went from speaking Castillian to Andalusian

I am very curious how they changed the partially-obscured-subtitles joke in Austin Powers 3 in international markets come to think of it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 22, 2012

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Well, in Toy Story 3 when Buzz goes from speaking English to Spanish... in Latin American markets they made it so he went from speaking Spanish with a Latin American accent to a parody of Spain Spanish. Then in Spain they made it so he went from speaking Castillian to Andalusian

This is really, really fascinating and something I hadn't even thought about it until now. I'd love to know more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, there WAS a youtube showing all the versions but it got taken down by Pixar...

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Directorman posted:

This is really, really fascinating and something I hadn't even thought about it until now. I'd love to know more.

There's a scene in Greed where Ben Stiller and Jack Black meet an Italian entepreneur who talks about his brother having a giant dick while his interpreter translates it. He makes explicit gestures and you can see a famous Italian landmark in the background (can't remember what it was), so there's no easy way to change the setting or the subject. The Italian dub doesn't touch the entepreneur's dialogue, but his interpreter nervously tries to make it seem that his boss is talking about business.
Also, in the Spanish version of Dexter, they rewrote some scenes so that, whenever the cops interrogate someone who speaks Spanish, Batista is a part of the conversation rather than an interpreter.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Handsome Dead posted:

I don't recall that example, but I remember back in the day watching subbed movies on Danish TV.

Any variation of "gently caress off" or "gently caress you" would usually be translated to "rend og skid" which means "go run and poo poo (the verb)" and which I have never heard in any context outside movie subtitles. I have no idea how that translation came up since it's still kinda vulgar (and besides we don't have a "prohibition"/FCC ruling on swearing on TV anyway). I also used to watch movies on Swedish TV, they translated "son of a bitch" as "skitstövel" (shitboot).

Most of the time, the subs were very good, including making up new puns, but sometimes they are way off if the translator doesn't know a certain idiom or doesn't catch a pun. Or just plain mishears, there's one I remember from The Simpsons where Homer is drunk or on acid or something and addresses Bart as Lisa, and Bart says "I'm Bart" and I guess the translator heard it as "I'm bored" cause that's what he translated it as.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sometimes the stars align and you can translate a joke literally and have it come out the other side intact.

http://www.everything2.com/title/untranslatable+humor posted:

Indeed, lots of humor from movies is untranslatable, but here is one example of a dumb joke that is:

In the movie Beavis and Butthead Do America there is a scene in which the main characters are trapped in the trunk of a car. Butthead finds a jack and starts 'jacking' away.

Hey Beavis, I'm jacking !

This translates quite nicely to Dutch:

Hey Beavis, ik ben aan het krikken !!

Which means about the same thing, except where jacking is performed solo and 'krikken' involves another person (preferably of the opposite sex). And a 'krik' is the dutch word for a car's jack.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 22, 2012

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
I've heard there are dubbed version of Inglourious Basterds, which is completely nonsensical to me and invalidates like 85% of the film.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is there a reason for that or are you just being pedantic? I haven't seen the film, that's why I'm asking.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Spermando posted:

Is there a reason for that or are you just being pedantic? I haven't seen the film, that's why I'm asking.

Switching between languages is a huge deal in the film and a source of a lot of suspense. Also, see Inglourious Basterds.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, frankly there are at least two huge scenes in that movie that would be rendered nonsensical by replacing subs with dubs.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Carthag posted:

Any variation of "gently caress off" or "gently caress you" would usually be translated to "rend og skid" which means "go run and poo poo (the verb)" and which I have never heard in any context outside movie subtitles.

There's a common phrase in Newcastle: "Had away and shite" which is a similar phrase in English.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Again, I haven't seen the film, but I suppose they'll use German whenever the characters speak German and the local language when they speak in English.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
Not sure if this really fits into this thread but how does everyone on here view Spike Lee? No other non-documentary film-maker I know of seems to divide opinion so much. Opinions differ between him being viewed as a racist black supremacist and a powerful flag-bearer for modern black America.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Double Happiness posted:

Not sure if this really fits into this thread but how does everyone on here view Spike Lee? No other non-documentary film-maker I know of seems to divide opinion so much.

Oliver Stone?

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk

VorpalBunny posted:

Oliver Stone?

Touche

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Double Happiness posted:

Not sure if this really fits into this thread but how does everyone on here view Spike Lee? No other non-documentary film-maker I know of seems to divide opinion so much. Opinions differ between him being viewed as a racist black supremacist and a powerful flag-bearer for modern black America.

I like his movies. Do The Right Thing is excellent, and Inside Man was a really cool bank robber movie. Bamboozled is great too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spermando posted:

Again, I haven't seen the film, but I suppose they'll use German whenever the characters speak German and the local language when they speak in English.

In the movie the dialogue switches between four different languages and it's really important both plot-wise and thematically who speaks which languages and who doesn't.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 23, 2012

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Handsome Dead posted:

In the French film La Haine, a character is nicknamed Asterix but the subtitles call him Snoopy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Professor Clumsy posted:

There's a common phrase in Newcastle: "Had away and shite" which is a similar phrase in English.

How does "had" function in that sentence, some kind of imperative?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Double Happiness posted:

I think he's knowledgeable on film history. I've seen him do interviews/segments on many DVD extras that show that. I haven't seen enough of his films yet to really categorize what kind of filmmaker he is. Do The Right Thing and Malcolm X were both thought-provoking.

Outside of film he seems very cynical/acerbic to me (feuds/pseudo-feuds with many others in the industry). He's a media lightning rod in this regard. In that way he reminds me of someone like Harlan Ellison (not as litigious of course).

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I tend to dislike Lee's movies that aren't about racial and class relations as much. Do the Right Thing is one of the most perfect movies I've ever seen, and Malcolm X is wonderful as well. I also admire Bamboozled a ton. I'm much more indifferent to his more broader films like Summer of Sam and 25th Hour.

Oh yeah, and his documentary When the Levees Broke is absolutely phenomenal.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Double Happiness posted:

I would disregard the opinion of anyone I heard use the term 'racist black supremacist' to describe someone. Makes it a bit easier.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Are there any good online articles analyzing Solaris?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I'm not sure if this is the wrong thread but I'll post here anyways.

I am trying to find the movie trailer that goes with this description. I think it is some thriller type movie that come out within the last year. There aren't any sound effects from the movie in the shown scenes put there is this constant pinging throughout the trailer that makes the transition from one scene clip to another. There is also some intense talking in between pings. Does this vague description ring a bell for anyone?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Steve Yun posted:

Are there any good online articles analyzing Solaris?
Can't find anything super-lengthy but...

Senses of Cinema review
Criterion essay
Not Coming review
Review of the Blu-Ray w/ brief analysis
Very brief video appreciation of the movie
Tarkovsky and Lem's thoughts on the movie

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Can we talk about Valve's Source Filmmaker and what it means for the future of movies in general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zri1c_If6Ic

Once upon a time, professional grade software like Final Cut, Avid, and Premiere were not financially accessible for the average consumer. Once upon a time, websites like Youtube didn't exist, which now, potentially, makes distribution ridiculously simpler for more than the average consumer.

From what they've shown in this video of the software, I am hugely impressed with the quality of the product they're making available to the public. I'm not saying it'll be as big as Youtube, but I think it's another step, another indicator, that the quantity and quality of movies is going to be shifting towards a new direction. I don't know if we've already been living in a new "age" of filmmaking for a while, if its just around the corner, or it's just started and still defining itself, but...Man, something is different. Change is afoot.

I don't work in animation, I don't really know what capabilities current professional animation software programs have, but when I saw him pause that video and shift the angle, my eyes bulged out. That's so cool, man.

edit: I guess I'll put that in the form of a question. Does anyone here know how impressive Source Filmmaker's potential capabilities are compared to current professional animation software (eg whatever Pixar uses)?

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 28, 2012

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

I don't work in animation, I don't really know what capabilities current professional animation software programs have, but when I saw him pause that video and shift the angle, my eyes bulged out. That's so cool, man.
That's pretty standard for animation game demos like those. What's really cool is the ability to modify animations on the fly. That is amazing.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Well I know of at least one project that's using what sounds like the Source Filmmaker tools: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118055231?refCatId=13

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Handsome Dead posted:

I'm not aware of a list for this kind of thing but man this is a good example for terrible German dubs.

In the German version he apparently says "NYPD! Das bedeutet 'nervenden Yunkies piss ich auf's Dach'". It's difficult to translate, something along the lines of "I'll piss on the roof of annoying yunkies". I'm not even sure what "Yunkies" is supposed to mean, probably a corruption of "junkie", which generally means a drug addict. Pissing on someone's roof isn't a common expression either.

Usually when a joke relies on some sort of pop culture reference, translators may not get it and produce some horribly mangled but relatively direct translation, leaving viewers confused. Or they make up something completely different that makes sense for the local audience but has nothing to do with the original.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FAT BATMAN posted:

Can we talk about Valve's Source Filmmaker and what it means for the future of movies in general?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zri1c_If6Ic

Once upon a time, professional grade software like Final Cut, Avid, and Premiere were not financially accessible for the average consumer. Once upon a time, websites like Youtube didn't exist, which now, potentially, makes distribution ridiculously simpler for more than the average consumer.

From what they've shown in this video of the software, I am hugely impressed with the quality of the product they're making available to the public. I'm not saying it'll be as big as Youtube, but I think it's another step, another indicator, that the quantity and quality of movies is going to be shifting towards a new direction. I don't know if we've already been living in a new "age" of filmmaking for a while, if its just around the corner, or it's just started and still defining itself, but...Man, something is different. Change is afoot.

edit: I guess I'll put that in the form of a question. Does anyone here know how impressive Source Filmmaker's potential capabilities are compared to current professional animation software (eg whatever Pixar uses)?

One of the negative consequences of how widespread piracy is of professional tools like Photoshop, Maya, Microsoft Office, Flash, etc. is that it destroys the market for reasonably-priced middle-of-the-road alternatives since rather than buy a less powerful product that's within their budget people just pirate the top-tier software. The exception of this is free software like GIMP and OpenOffice, so Valve releasing a free animation tool that looks so goddam awesome and user-friendly is probably going to be a big deal.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

FAT BATMAN posted:

It'll basically be the grand answer to all your machinema dreams. Keep in mind Valve's videos are done with a team of animators, graphic artists, modelers, texturers and so on who have a working knowlege on timing and so forth that adds that extra polish.

The opening weeks are going to be a dearth of kids making their own TF2 fanfilms with wild swooping camera angles and wonky limbs.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

WebDog posted:

It'll basically be the grand answer to all your machinema dreams.

What was that one weird-rear end machinema video where the guy was trying to get his car started and couldn't do it, so he went back in the house and turned his key in the lock on the front door and it was making the same starter motor sound as the car, then he did something weird like that with the phone, too? It reminded me a lot of those Captain America Poser images in how bizarre and funny it was.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Great, just what we need is more machanimation "films."

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just hope Linkin Park is on the soundtrack to all of them. It just wouldn't be the same, otherwise.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SkunkDuster posted:

What was that one weird-rear end machinema video where the guy was trying to get his car started and couldn't do it, so he went back in the house and turned his key in the lock on the front door and it was making the same starter motor sound as the car, then he did something weird like that with the phone, too? It reminded me a lot of those Captain America Poser images in how bizarre and funny it was.

It's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMjTzc_QMwc

Most GMod videos are pretty crap honestly, but Bo Schitt's have some pretty good timing and he works pretty well within the limits of the tools.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

KyloWinter posted:

I'm not sure if this is the wrong thread but I'll post here anyways.

I am trying to find the movie trailer that goes with this description. I think it is some thriller type movie that come out within the last year. There aren't any sound effects from the movie in the shown scenes put there is this constant pinging throughout the trailer that makes the transition from one scene clip to another. There is also some intense talking in between pings. Does this vague description ring a bell for anyone?

Inception???

EDIT: Prometheus???

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Inception???

EDIT: Prometheus???

That sounds like every horror movie trailer from 1975 til 1995.