Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
So my dongle just arrived and now I have a dual display setup.

Question:

I have an 5657 × 2289 image that I would like to span the entire 3840x1200 workspace.

Why can't I find the option in Preferences?

If there is no way to enable this, how can I use Preview to slip the image straight down the middle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
I'm trying to change the desktop background on mountain lion from the terminal using applescript like so:
code:
osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to set desktop picture to POSIX file "x.png"'
When I run it though, I get an error "33:48: execution error: Finder got an error: AppleEvent handler failed. (-10000)"
Am I doing something totally wrong? I've never used applescript before so I'm just assuming that it's my own problem.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Mr Man posted:

Yeah and it gets even better with plugins! enjoy your new editing addiction!

Seconded. With the LaTeXTools plugin, Sublime Text 2 is the only way I look at text files nowadays.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Hey, so Safari rules because I can increase the minimum font size on all web pages, but then the layout tends to get a little stupid/broken. Is there anyway to increase the minimum zoom level, consistently, across all webpages, forever and ever, for not just text but for the entire page and layout, images, etc?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Fren posted:

Hey, so Safari rules because I can increase the minimum font size on all web pages, but then the layout tends to get a little stupid/broken. Is there anyway to increase the minimum zoom level, consistently, across all webpages, forever and ever, for not just text but for the entire page and layout, images, etc?

In the view menu, is this box checked?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

cbirdsong posted:

In the view menu, is this box checked?

Nope.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

low-key-taco posted:

Wow how have I never heard of this program before. It's like a better version of Programmer's Notepad that is cross platform. No more vim for me on mac.

I've never heard of it either but it looks great. Can it be made to use vim commands? I've invested too much time getting good at vim to not use it as my primary editor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lexicon posted:

I've never heard of it either but it looks great. Can it be made to use vim commands? I've invested too much time getting good at vim to not use it as my primary editor.

http://www.sublimetext.com/docs/2/vintage.html

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Fren posted:

Hey, so Safari rules because I can increase the minimum font size on all web pages

By the way, Chrome and Firefox can do that too. i guess Opera also, but I don't use it any more.
Firefox at least also remembers the zoom factor you set a domain to, but I don't know of a method on any of the browsers to force full site zoom globally.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I have a question about installing Windows 8 on my computer. I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro, so I can't boot from USB, and I recently found out that my DVD drive is broken. I'm trying to install Windows 8 by cloning the install disk to a different partition and booting from there, then installing to a third partition.

I created the two new partitions with
code:
diskutil resizevolume /dev/disk0s2 245G 2 MS-DOS "BOOT" 4G MS-DOS "WIN8" 60G
My hard disk now looks like
code:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *320.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            245.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOT                    4.0 GB     disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data WIN8                    70.2 GB    disk0s5
Then I cloned the install iso to BOOT using Carbon Copy Cloner and used fdisk to mark BOOT as bootable.

Now BOOT shows up in the boot menu, but when I select it, I'm kicked to a windows-style error screen saying that there was an error 0xC000000E and to insert a recovery disk.

Where did I go wrong? Is what I'm trying to do even possible? Or should I take this to one of the subforums?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
So another question, I'm trying to set the Safari homepage from a bash script in Lion.
When I run "defaults write com.apple.Safari HomePage https://www.example.com" from the terminal it works, but when I run that very same line from a bash script it doesn't do anything.
What am I missing?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

angrytech posted:

So another question, I'm trying to set the Safari homepage from a bash script in Lion.
When I run "defaults write com.apple.Safari HomePage https://www.example.com" from the terminal it works, but when I run that very same line from a bash script it doesn't do anything.
What am I missing?

Are you sure you are copying the command exactly? Defaults won't throw an error if you put in bad values. Works fine on my machine, you just have to restart Safari to have it take effect.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fren posted:

I haven't used it, but I'm thinking the AllPagesZoom extension might do what you want.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Are you sure you are copying the command exactly? Defaults won't throw an error if you put in bad values. Works fine on my machine, you just have to restart Safari to have it take effect.

I think I figured it out, I was executing the script as root, so it wasn't taking affect for the logged-in user.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Van Kraken posted:

I have a question about installing Windows 8 on my computer. I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro, so I can't boot from USB,

Have you tried? This sounds dubious.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah. Boot Camp Assistant won't give me the option burn a bootable USB, and when I made one anyways and tried it, it didn't show up in the boot menu.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

fleshweasel posted:

Seconded. If a MacBook (and Intel based Mac) cannot boot from USB, there is something wrong.

Van Kraken posted:

Yeah. Boot Camp Assistant won't give me the option burn a bootable USB, and when I made one anyways and tried it, it didn't show up in the boot menu.

Windows will not boot from USB, so Of course that does not work.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I believe only the Airs (and newer Macbooks?) can boot the Windows installer from USB, it was something they added so that Boot Camp would work on the Airs. I don't have a source but I recall seeing this somewhere when trying to install Windows via USB on my 2010 MBP a while back.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Is there a program for OS X out there that can edit/create swf documents that's not made by Adobe or Macromedia? Basically Flash made by some other company?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Is there a program for OS X out there that can edit/create swf documents that's not made by Adobe or Macromedia? Basically Flash made by some other company?

There doesn't seem to be much, but Pencil should do, I think. I presume you wanted it for animations, but there are some actionscript editors out there too.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Experto Crede posted:

There doesn't seem to be much, but Pencil should do, I think. I presume you wanted it for animations, but there are some actionscript editors out there too.

Cool! Thanks, can't wait to check this out. Do you know of any actionscript editors? I wish there was something that was both an actionscript editor with drawing tools. Not sure how they'd work separately.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thought I'd pass two little tricks I learned about in OS X today. The first is sc_usage, you can give it the PID of a running process and it gives you a display of the system calls the process makes:

The second is fs_usage, it gives you a list of all filesystem activity - you'll probably want to use grep or something to filter the output. 'Everything is a file' in UNIX so you'll see a shitload of activity even though most of it isn't really accessing a typical file on disk

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

kapalama posted:

Oops, I meant that my computer can't make or boot from the installation USB.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

kapalama posted:

Seconded. If a MacBook (and Intel based Mac) cannot boot from USB, there is something wrong.

Yes but it will install from USB.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I am not sure what you plan to do, but Hype is a Flash-like app that makes JavaScript animations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sorry I'm a little late to the Sublime Text 2 party, but as a PhD student whose work mostly involves programming and LaTeX, I've just been staring at this thing for the last 10 minutes and my jaw is still slack. As a cheapskate grad student though, is there any incentive for me to buy this besides wanting to support the developers since the evaluation time is currently indefinite? :shobon:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I think you don't get Syntax highlighting for a lot of languages if you use the unregistered version, at least I didn't for SQL (which is the majority use at work for me). I don't know about anything else, I paid up about 10 minutes after installing it, it's the perfect editor for me (and being cross-platform made it a no-brainer too).

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It highlights R and LaTeX which is all I need; I just can't really afford $59 until I get paid next month. :(

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The free version has no limitations other than the occasional nag. The syntax highlighting does have some bugs though, especially on long files, so that might have been what you noticed.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

cbirdsong posted:

I am not sure what you plan to do, but Hype is a Flash-like app that makes JavaScript animations.

I want to be able to open fla files and use drawing tools and actionscript editing even if it's just 2.0. I just think Flash is a bit pricy for what it is.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

tofes posted:

Not sure why Chrome keeps causing a kernel panic, but I sure do wish they would loving fix it!

Looks like there is some movement on this: http://gizmodo.com/5922235/we-were-right-google-confirms-chrome-is-to-blame-for-crashing-macbooks Seems like a misleading headline though

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I want to be able to open fla files and use drawing tools and actionscript editing even if it's just 2.0. I just think Flash is a bit pricy for what it is.

If you ever need actual Flash for some reason, don't forget it's available at no commitment for $30 a month now.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Who remembers when Leopard came out and the way app windows lightened when they were the main. That worked really well at letting you know which wasn't the main window (hell, it really stuck out when it first came out.)

Have apple changed it at all since Leopard? It only just occurred to me that I barely notice the difference between the colour of the main window and the not main one.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Experto Crede posted:

Who remembers when Leopard came out and the way app windows lightened when they were the main. That worked really well at letting you know which wasn't the main window (hell, it really stuck out when it first came out.)

Have apple changed it at all since Leopard? It only just occurred to me that I barely notice the difference between the colour of the main window and the not main one.

There is still a difference. Active windows have a darker title bar, heavier drop shadow, and coloured traffic-light buttons. Inactive windows are lighter, have less shadow, and the buttons are grayed out.

If you can't see a difference, your display might be out of calibration.

Active:

Inactive:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Oneiros posted:

There is still a difference. Active windows have a darker title bar, heavier drop shadow, and coloured traffic-light buttons. Inactive windows are lighter, have less shadow, and the buttons are grayed out.

If you can't see a difference, your display might be out of calibration.

Active:

Inactive:

Sorry, I worded it badly. I know it's still there, but to me at least, it's nowhere near as pronounced and noticeable as it was in Leopard.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
I have noticed a significant decrease in the visibility of the off/on shading since upgrading to Lion.

It used to be much more pronounced. At least Safari/Chrome did.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Leopard/Snow Leopard were darker than Lion/Snow Lion are.

We need to go back to transparent titlebars for inactive windows :v:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

carry on then posted:

Leopard/Snow Leopard were darker than Lion/Snow Lion are.

We need to go back to transparent titlebars for inactive windows :v:

Not my cup of tea. OS X prior to 10.3 was ugly as sin to me. May have had more eye candy than Classic, but it was just too busy. Panther fixed a lot of this, as did Tiger. Leopard, however, was when OS X finally got the balance right (As well as it getting rid of brushed metal)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Experto Crede posted:

Not my cup of tea. OS X prior to 10.3 was ugly as sin to me. May have had more eye candy than Classic, but it was just too busy. Panther fixed a lot of this, as did Tiger. Leopard, however, was when OS X finally got the balance right (As well as it getting rid of brushed metal)

I don't mind the translucent inactive titlebars (and I hate translucent terminal windows) but even back then I HATED the pinstrips and those horrid toolbar buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Experto Crede posted:

brushed metal

Please don't say these words again. Too many bad memories.