Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Snowdens Secret posted:

This would surely work well, as it's been a smashing success letting this happen in places such as

I don't think its ever been attempted so I don't know what you're getting at.

On the other hand, a lot of blame is placed on borders first drawn at the Conference of Berlin and later elaborated upon by the Colonial Powers. The hatred of ethnic group x for ethnic group y is often overstated in an attempt to create an easily digested answer for Westerners. I'm not familiar with the exact administration of every former colony but colonial rulers tended to designate a group to delegate authority to sub-administer. Even in purely settler colonies(Rhodesia for example), one group tended to be seen as more 'white' than other groups. Whatever the case, ethnic rivalries tended to be manufactured by the colonial rulers in order to ease rule and misdirect unrest. You also have to consider the period during which colonies transitioned to self-rule; the Cold War, proxy wars in order to establish the supremacy of one side or the other. Conflict certainly occurred because of ethnic rivalries/hatred/whatever, but its far from the complete story.

Read up about the Rwandan genocide and you'll see what I mean. Certainly, there is a difference between Hutus and Tutsis but prior to colonial involvement the difference tended to be more flexible.

Also: "Frederick Lugard"/"Indirect Rule" and "The Hamatic Myth" would also be two topics worth reading more about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

WEREWAIF posted:

I think the best thing for Africa would be to get rid of all debt obligations, stop enforcing borders as is, and block all weapon imports and mineral exports. Let the rentier states and corrupt elites fall, let the borders dematerialize and come back in much more rational forms. We could end up with a much more harmonious, more prosperous, and self sufficient continent.

You realize that while things might go exactly as you say, the process would be a gigantic loving civil war on a continental scale and bloodshed akin to that suffered by Europe between 1914 and 1945, right?

Veins McGee posted:

I don't think its ever been attempted so I don't know what you're getting at.

On the other hand, a lot of blame is placed on borders first drawn at the Conference of Berlin and later elaborated upon by the Colonial Powers. The hatred of ethnic group x for ethnic group y is often overstated in an attempt to create an easily digested answer for Westerners. I'm not familiar with the exact administration of every former colony but colonial rulers tended to designate a group to delegate authority to sub-administer. Even in purely settler colonies(Rhodesia for example), one group tended to be seen as more 'white' than other groups. Whatever the case, ethnic rivalries tended to be manufactured by the colonial rulers in order to ease rule and misdirect unrest. You also have to consider the period during which colonies transitioned to self-rule; the Cold War, proxy wars in order to establish the supremacy of one side or the other. Conflict certainly occurred because of ethnic rivalries/hatred/whatever, but its far from the complete story.

Read up about the Rwandan genocide and you'll see what I mean. Certainly, there is a difference between Hutus and Tutsis but prior to colonial involvement the difference tended to be more flexible.

Also: "Frederick Lugard"/"Indirect Rule" and "The Hamatic Myth" would also be two topics worth reading more about.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that the Conference of Berlin and all the other various schemes that drew up the current borders were anything but hosed up, and I'll even grant your assertion that what we consider longstanding tribal/ethnic rivalries today are probably the result of colonial policy which exacerbated them or maybe even fabricated them entirely (I'm pretty weak on African history, so I'll just defer to anyone who's read up on this subject).

That said, the legacy of the past 200 years of being hosed over and exploited every which way isn't going to just disappear over night. Those corrupt elites and hosed up governments which currently hold valuable resources aren't going to just quietly fade into the night, nor are they going to find it too difficult to get someone to sell them weapons or whatever else they need. Any time you set out to draw or re-draw national boundaries you're going to have disputes over valuable bits of land and those disputes frequently degenerate into conflict. gently caress, look at the recent history of Dafur and Sudan for a bit on that. S. Sudan was independant for all of, what, six months before they ended up in a border conflict with the north?

There is a historical precedent for that kind of re-shaping of national boundaries and movement of people to a better, more logical arrangement of a hosed situation full of arbitrary borders, and that's WW1/WW2 in Eastern Europe. Look at a map of the locations of various ethnicities and national groups in 1913 and look at the same map in 1945. Even ignoring the really crazy :hitler: poo poo like the Holocaust, and even ignoring the political causes for the conflicts, the net result was one of the largest re-drawings of borders in modern history and one of the largest refugee crises the world has ever seen - to find dislocations and permanent movements of people on that scale before then you really need to dig pretty deep.

JUST looking at the deaths caused by the refugee crisis and the mass migrations, you're talking millions of dead people.

gently caress, for another example, look at the process that led to the drawing up of the borders for India and Pakistan when they broke up after independence. Millions of people died in a massive churn of people migrating in opposite directions at the same time, and this was a transition which is all in all considered noteworthy for how smoothly it went given the possibility for it degenerating into a total goat-gently caress of a civil war.

"Erase the current borders and let new ones come up organically" is pretty much the nuclear option to problems like these.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Pretty sure there were some pretty grisly wars, expansionist empires, and longstanding vendettas between peoples in Africa even before whitey showed up, just like every other place on the planet. Also pretty sure people continue to find reasons to hate their neighbors without any colonies being involved. Not that colonization helped (they exploited a lot of the pre-existing hate to stir the pot, for example)), but it didn't cause every bad thing, either.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Cyrano4747 posted:

You realize that while things might go exactly as you say, the process would be a gigantic loving civil war on a continental scale and bloodshed akin to that suffered by Europe between 1914 and 1945, right?

I don't think anyone is going to argue that the Conference of Berlin and all the other various schemes that drew up the current borders were anything but hosed up, and I'll even grant your assertion that what we consider longstanding tribal/ethnic rivalries today are probably the result of colonial policy which exacerbated them or maybe even fabricated them entirely (I'm pretty weak on African history, so I'll just defer to anyone who's read up on this subject).

That said, the legacy of the past 200 years of being hosed over and exploited every which way isn't going to just disappear over night. Those corrupt elites and hosed up governments which currently hold valuable resources aren't going to just quietly fade into the night, nor are they going to find it too difficult to get someone to sell them weapons or whatever else they need. Any time you set out to draw or re-draw national boundaries you're going to have disputes over valuable bits of land and those disputes frequently degenerate into conflict. gently caress, look at the recent history of Dafur and Sudan for a bit on that. S. Sudan was independant for all of, what, six months before they ended up in a border conflict with the north?

There is a historical precedent for that kind of re-shaping of national boundaries and movement of people to a better, more logical arrangement of a hosed situation full of arbitrary borders, and that's WW1/WW2 in Eastern Europe. Look at a map of the locations of various ethnicities and national groups in 1913 and look at the same map in 1945. Even ignoring the really crazy :hitler: poo poo like the Holocaust, and even ignoring the political causes for the conflicts, the net result was one of the largest re-drawings of borders in modern history and one of the largest refugee crises the world has ever seen - to find dislocations and permanent movements of people on that scale before then you really need to dig pretty deep.

JUST looking at the deaths caused by the refugee crisis and the mass migrations, you're talking millions of dead people.

gently caress, for another example, look at the process that led to the drawing up of the borders for India and Pakistan when they broke up after independence. Millions of people died in a massive churn of people migrating in opposite directions at the same time, and this was a transition which is all in all considered noteworthy for how smoothly it went given the possibility for it degenerating into a total goat-gently caress of a civil war.

"Erase the current borders and let new ones come up organically" is pretty much the nuclear option to problems like these.

Yeah, I don't think they should redraw the borders. In fact, redrawing the borders would just create more poor landlocked countries with poor neighbors and little access to the world economy. I just have a strong distaste for off-the-cuff dismissive remarks.

On the other hand, the partition of India makes for a rather poor comparison. Muslims and Hindus(et al) lived all jumbled together. In the African countries I'm familiar with(I'm far from an expert), the various groups tended to occupy their own areas. When colonization began en force, movement was curtailed even further as whites designated land for 'natives' and/or needed a steady supply of compliant labor(i.e. fixed in place).

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

You realize that while things might go exactly as you say, the process would be a gigantic loving civil war on a continental scale and bloodshed akin to that suffered by Europe between 1914 and 1945, right

Haha, I'm sorry I didn't mean to stir anything up like this. I really just meant that we can't really hope for an africa free of needless conflict and suffering until africans get real states, real governments and everything that comes with them. A single human life can't even become sacred without a real state. So the suggestion that everyone leave Africa alone so they can sort it out is just my way of saying that doing the exact opposite of what's been going on for the last few centuries will probably produce something that's a net positive

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's almost like you think that "seal the place off, let everyone kill each other off until a few strong groups emerge, then whip a little civilization on the warring hordes" is an evil, racist, and generally lovely idea.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

WEREWAIF posted:

Haha, I'm sorry I didn't mean to stir anything up like this. I really just meant that we can't really hope for an africa free of needless conflict and suffering until africans get real states, real governments and everything that comes with them. A single human life can't even become sacred without a real state. So the suggestion that everyone leave Africa alone so they can sort it out is just my way of saying that doing the exact opposite of what's been going on for the last few centuries will probably produce something that's a net positive

The problem is that you are ascribing absolutely zero agency to the Africans themselves. While the outside world has terribly hosed over that continent in ways too numerous to count, it's not like "leaving them alone" would result in anything positive at this point. They aren't going to sit there passively and just ignore the rest of the world while they sort out their own poo poo. For better or worse they are tied into the global system - economically, militarily, culturally, and politically - and you can't just magic away those influences. It's not even a matter of getting everyone else to stop loving with them. Presuming that this was even possible, it's incredibly naive to think that the Africans themselves won't reach out to the rest of the world to secure poo poo they need or want, be it Nike shoes or Kalashnikov rifles.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I doubt you'd find many stable nations that don't also include groups who had/still have longstanding hatred. The issue is not national boundaries, it's that the governments are weak and corrupt to the point that many areas are essentially lawless. This combined with some areas where you've got tons of people living in poverty around valuable resources controlled by whoever can strongarm everybody else out of the way pretty much means this poo poo isn't going to stop anytime soon.

If you split every African state along ethnic and tribal boundaries and gave them all their own nations/micro-nations it wouldn't do poo poo to stop anybody from fighting.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
So looks like I'm going to be heading out to Omaha in a month to visit ~*my girlfriend*~ and I have insisted on a visit to the Strategic Air and Space Museum. I get short of breath just looking at the plane list they have, from the biggest (B-36 in tha house) to the eensy-weensy XF-85 Goblin. Plus one of only three :britain: Avro Vulcans :britain: in the U.S.

Gonna have to exercise my camera hand over the next month.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Goblins are freakin' awesome.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There are several retailers (some of whom operate on the internet) who will rent you ridiculously expensive camera equipment at reasonable rates! You know you want to.

e: In all seriousness, you might. I picked up some higher end glass than what I own for my trip out to Udvar-Hazy because odds are I was only going there once in this decade or more so I was determined to do it right, drat it)

Then make sure to exercise both your camera hand(s) and your shoulder because carrying around Stupid rear end Heavy Lenses gets a bit tiresome eventually. I saw a dude using this monstrosity without a tripod or monopod or anything - straight up hand holding it. I weep for his skeleton.

Of course that assumes this wasn't an overly rich hobbyist who uses his glass once a year and feels like such a super badass because hey look at my $8000 zoom lens.

so jealous

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 27, 2012

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Psion posted:

There are several retailers (some of whom operate on the internet) who will rent you ridiculously expensive camera equipment at reasonable rates! You know you want to.

Then make sure to exercise both your camera hand(s) and your shoulder because carrying around Stupid rear end Heavy Lenses gets a bit tiresome eventually.

I'll look 'em up. I have an old but still functional D70 with the kit lens and a 75-300mm zoom. Might have to see how dear a wide-angle/fisheye lens would be to rent. Alas I'm unemployed at the moment, so I have to be judicious with my spending.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CarterUSM posted:

I'll look 'em up. I have an old but still functional D70 with the kit lens and a 75-300mm zoom. Might have to see how dear a wide-angle/fisheye lens would be to rent. Alas I'm unemployed at the moment, so I have to be judicious with my spending.

The D70 is still reasonably good. Also if you can get away with a support of some kind you can still pull great things out of kit lenses. I don't typically have that option so I'm trying not to spend thousands on moronically expensive L-series glass so I can shoot f/2.8 all day long. So far ... success.

But taking pictures of airplanes is awesome, so have fun. Sigma and/or Tamron probably make reasonably priced 10-22s or similar which you can use to try and capture The Huge Airplanes or just stand a foot away from the Goblin and still get it all in frame. Not sure how they stack up to Nikon kit stuff, I shoot Canon. My assumption is "better but not as good as the [twice as expensive] Nikon high end model."

I took a 17-55 to Udvar-Hazy and it was fine. I could've done well with a 10-22 for the huge stuff like the SR-71 but having the reach of 55 was enough to let me isolate stuff hanging from the ceiling or whatever without having to crop the poo poo out of every single frame I took. God help me if I ever get to Dayton for the National Museum of the AF, that's for sure.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 27, 2012

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

CarterUSM posted:

A D70 will be fine as long as its married to some decent glass. There are places online where you can rent lenses; might be worth looking into those.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Re: SAC Museum (gently caress the new name):

As you can see lighting is a bit of a challenge there, since it's all indoors (except for a couple of the missiles), the interior lighting is a little dim in the hangars, and everything is so crammed together it's tough to find a good angle to get an unobstructed shot of any of the aircraft from anything other than up close. Granted, these were all taken with a crappy little point and shoot, so I'm sure you can do much better with decent equipment, just a word of warning.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 28, 2012

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

iyaayas01 posted:

I'm curious to hear more about this type of airplane. If nothing else, it looks like it hauls rear end.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
B1A or B1B?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Revolvyerom posted:

I'm curious to hear more about this type of airplane. If nothing else, it looks like it hauls rear end.

It's a RB-45C Tornado, recce variant of the B-45, which was the USAF's first operational jet bomber. By jet aircraft standards it wasn't very fast (max speed 500 knots) but still quite an increase over the piston engined aircraft it replaced.

-A...they have it done up in a -B-esque darker paint scheme though, which is really too bad, even if it is correct for that particular airframe (this was the fourth and last -A built) because the anti-nuclear reflective white is pretty awesome:

as is the desert:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 28, 2012

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

iyaayas01 posted:

It's a RB-45C Tornado, recce variant of the B-45, which was the USAF's first operational jet bomber. By jet aircraft standards it wasn't very fast (max speed 500 knots) but still quite an increase over the piston engined aircraft it replaced.

-A...they have it done up in a -B-esque darker paint scheme though, which is really too bad, even if it is correct for that particular airframe (this was the fourth and last -A built) because the anti-nuclear reflective white is pretty awesome:

as is the desert:

Does the B1 get used anymore? It seems like it does, but only because the Air Force had to justify it. Like taking your annoying kid brother to the movies with you and your B52 friends.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
Iyaayas01, cockblockin' like a boss. :argh:

(Edit: though I didn't realize that the C-47 Skytrain had split flaps. Those aren't too common, are they?)

CarterUSM fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 28, 2012

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Vulcan :swoon:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Oxford Comma posted:

Does the B1 get used anymore? It seems like it does, but only because the Air Force had to justify it. Like taking your annoying kid brother to the movies with you and your B52 friends.

Yeah, it does...it goes over to the desert pretty regularly, especially now since it is the only bomber that does not have a nuclear mission, and with the increase in emphasis on the nuclear enterprise in the USAF over the past couple of years that has increased the nuke related workload on those platforms. With the Sniper targeting pod and the 1760 bus upgrade so it can carry JDAM/WCMD type weapons it is capable of doing CAS/NTISR (at least as capable as a bomber sized aircraft is going to be), and it arguably brings some things to the fight that B-52s don't have...whether those things are worth the increased operating cost is a question that gets asked on a semi-frequent basis (the USAF was considering retiring the whole fleet a couple of years back).

CarterUSM posted:

Iyaayas01, cockblockin' like a boss. :argh:

Haha, like I said, I'm sure you'll take better pictures since those were taken with a crappy point and shoot and the guy operating it (me) was even worse at taking pictures then than I am now. Regarding the split flaps, they were basically only a thing in the '20s and '30s...first invented in 1920, they were mostly used in aircraft designed in the '30s. A lot of early WWII fighters (P-40s, Me 109s, early Spitfires) had them.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah, it does...it goes over to the desert pretty regularly, especially now since it is the only bomber that does not have a nuclear mission, and with the increase in emphasis on the nuclear enterprise in the USAF over the past couple of years that has increased the nuke related workload on those platforms. With the Sniper targeting pod and the 1760 bus upgrade so it can carry JDAM/WCMD type weapons it is capable of doing CAS/NTISR (at least as capable as a bomber sized aircraft is going to be), and it arguably brings some things to the fight that B-52s don't have...whether those things are worth the increased operating cost is a question that gets asked on a semi-frequent basis (the USAF was considering retiring the whole fleet a couple of years back).

But does the B-1 have the capability of deploying SEALs into Syria from rotary bomb racks? THAT is the real operational question here! :v:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

I always kinda expect your posts to degenerate into a string of undecipherable acronyms. :)

So what does the B1 bring to the fight that the B52 can't, and why does the B1 not have a nuclear mission?

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

Oxford Comma posted:

So what does the B1 bring to the fight that the B52 can't, and why does the B1 not have a nuclear mission?
For one thing, I know B-1s have done low level show-of-force deterrent passes in Afghanistan. I doubt they want to be doing the same thing with B-52s due to their lower speed/maneuverability. I would say that the B-1's targeting pod capacity is a significant advantage for CAS, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a Litening pod on a B-52 at Andrews several weeks ago, so that brings them closer together in terms of that capability. I will also add that the B-1 features prominently in a chapter of Ed Macy's book Apache where it is used to level a Taliban compound by dropping 10 bombs in a single pass prior to the area being cleaned up by the Apaches.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

MagnumHB posted:

For one thing, I know B-1s have done low level show-of-force deterrent passes in Afghanistan. I doubt they want to be doing the same thing with B-52s due to their lower speed/maneuverability. I would say that the B-1's targeting pod capacity is a significant advantage for CAS, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a Litening pod on a B-52 at Andrews several weeks ago, so that brings them closer together in terms of that capability. I will also add that the B-1 features prominently in a chapter of Ed Macy's book Apache where it is used to level a Taliban compound by dropping 10 bombs in a single pass prior to the area being cleaned up by the Apaches.

Is that capability or about that aircraft or the weapons on it?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

CarterUSM posted:

But does the B-1 have the capability of deploying SEALs into Syria from rotary bomb racks? THAT is the real operational question here! :v:

:ssh: Double super top secret information there.

Oxford Comma posted:

I always kinda expect your posts to degenerate into a string of undecipherable acronyms. :)

I assume you know JDAM and CAS, NTISR is "Non-Traditional Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance." ISR is the military's acronym for "looking at poo poo from the air," and NTISR is when an aircraft that isn't specifically designed for ISR performs the mission...stuff like having a fighter jet with a targeting pod provide overwatch on a convoy or whatever. WCMD is the Wind Correctable Munitions Dispenser...it's a "bolt-on" tailkit that attaches to the various cluster munitions out there to give them GPS guidance; basically the cluster munitions equivalent of the JDAM tailkit (they both use the 1760 bus).

The biggest difference is an increase in conventional payload. The increase in speed (specifically short-ish range sprint speed) also decreases response time; this was used to effect in a short notice decapitation strike attempt during the initial invasion of Iraq. And now that I think about it the BUFF doesn't really get deployed to the desert these days, although all three bombers are still regularly rotated through Guam as part of the Continuous Bomber Presence.

Of course, from earlier in the thread, here's some thoughts on using bombers at all in that role:

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

The Bone, which is the only big bomber we use in OEF, has to take off outside of Afghanistan from an oppressive dictatorship, fly over whatever third world nations that agree with our presence (so we DO still have to rely on those shitholes), refuel multiple times from costly, inefficient, ANCIENT refueling assets (they burn like 30 thousand pounds an hour or something retarded like that) and end up looking around for a couple hours at over 20kft until they burn the rest of our tax money and fly off, or end up finding something and dropping the same GBU-38 that any other jet in theater carries. There is nothing it does that cant be done cheaper and saner by other poo poo.

Sure I get the whole WOO LOUD NOISE BRING THE RAIN aspect, but you have to admit that just about everything else makes more sense. The AC 130 brings more accurate fire, quicker, quieter, and lower (so you don't have to clear as much airspace), the Hogs are loving CAS experts-period-, unlike the Bone pilots who are generally trained to put cruise missiles on point targets in some nonsensical future war with China, not look for some sneaky goat herder setting an IED. MQ-9s loiter silently forever and deliver low CDE weapons with pinpoint accuracy, perfect for the down-time when there aren't a lot of TICs popping off. Also, there are dozens of other fighter assets in country that base IN COUNTRY, burn less gas, break down less often, and carry the same weapons that the bone does.

So there's that. Like I said earlier, if it was up to me I'd mothball the Bones (although that makes less and less sense the more we pump money into upgrading them), keeping the B-2 for obvious reasons and retaining the BUFF as a (relatively) cheap long range cruise missile carrier. Honestly this is probably what is going to happen as the Next-Gen Bomber comes online into the 2020s and begins to replace the Bone...if that program ever gets off the ground.

Regarding nuclear mission...

iyaayas01 posted:

Sort of. Currently the B-2s and B-52s carry nukes (gravity bombs in the case of the B-2s, ALCMs in the case of the B-52s). B-1s do not; we removed the capability in the mid '90s, because keeping bombers nuclear capable is expensive. Not only do you have all the additional more stringent inspection/maintenance requirements on the aircraft itself, you have the infrastructure to support the nuclear mission, which is rather significant: separate WSA for the storage and maintenance of the weapons as well as additional Security Forces dudes, and the additional inspection/maintenance requirements on everything that comes into contact with the weapons...vehicles, maintenance equipment, personnel...nukes are a royal pain in the rear end.

As for what is involved in converting from conventional to nuclear, B-52s and B-2s do this all the time since the fuzing and other assorted equipment is still onboard the aircraft. The problem is twofold: if you stand down from a nuclear capability (like we did with the B-1) you have to reinstall the required equipment, which isn't cheap or easy. Additionally, you have to rebuild/spin up the required infrastructure (basically what I mentioned above) at the base if it doesn't already have it.

It's worth mentioning that while the B-1s were denuclearized based on a unilateral decision by the U.S., this denuclearization was counted as part of the "reduction" in U.S. strategic nuclear forces as part of the New START Treaty, which required the U.S. to send a B-1 to Russia for a one-time verification inspection to verify the modifications. The U.S. also denuclearized some BUFFs to meet the treaty requirements. Here's a pretty interesting CRS report on the subject.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Oxford Comma posted:

Do you mean the current Afghanistan COIN fight or in general?

edit: nevermind, already answered.

edit2: since it was not mentioned in the above post, a B-1B is far more capable of penetrating air defenses than a B-52 due to RCS and its ability to fly exceptionally low and fast through difficult terrain.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 28, 2012

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

It's worth mentioning that while the B-1s were denuclearized based on a unilateral decision by the U.S., this denuclearization was counted as part of the "reduction" in U.S. strategic nuclear forces as part of the New START Treaty, which required the U.S. to send a B-1 to Russia for a one-time verification inspection to verify the modifications.

Probably gave them a nice chance to finish up development on the Tu-160 as well...

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

Oxford Comma posted:

Is that capability or about that aircraft or the weapons on it?
As far as I'm aware, it is one of the few platforms (plus the B-2 and B-52 I would expect) that has both the avionics necessary to individually pre-program that many targets and the ordnance capacity to service them. Whether or not this is strictly necessary in a CAS role is open to debate.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

The problem is that you are ascribing absolutely zero agency to the Africans themselves. While the outside world has terribly hosed over that continent in ways too numerous to count, it's not like "leaving them alone" would result in anything positive at this point. They aren't going to sit there passively and just ignore the rest of the world while they sort out their own poo poo. For better or worse they are tied into the global system - economically, militarily, culturally, and politically - and you can't just magic away those influences. It's not even a matter of getting everyone else to stop loving with them. Presuming that this was even possible, it's incredibly naive to think that the Africans themselves won't reach out to the rest of the world to secure poo poo they need or want, be it Nike shoes or Kalashnikov rifles.

I feel like I'm doing the opposite. My hope would be for them to freely exercise their own agency without it being hijacked from the outside. And I'm aware that African elites have played a negative role in continental european politics as well, so it's not like it can't go both ways.

Of course no blockade of outside influence is possible in a strict sense. But I think places like Madagascar for a time and post genocide Rwanda show that African countries are fully capable of sorting themselves out when they no long have stuff that tempts outside interference. I'm aware of the hellish world of global capitalism and so on, I'm simply thinking of what sort of thing would have to happen for Africa to sort itself out.

Sorry for derailing the thread, it's really good and everyone has made great posts

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

iyaayas01 posted:

Regarding the split flaps, they were basically only a thing in the '20s and '30s...first invented in 1920, they were mostly used in aircraft designed in the '30s. A lot of early WWII fighters (P-40s, Me 109s, early Spitfires) had them.
All Spits had them, right up to their retirement. They also only had two positions, 'up' or 'down', so combat flaps weren't really a thing on the Spit (though it could already turn on a dime, so it's debatable whether this was a drawback at all). I am not sure if this was an intentional thing or a side effect of having pneumatically-operated flaps when a lot of fighters used electric or hydraulic ones, but it did mean that pilots could still drop flaps for a wheels-up landing.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 28, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

^^ So, B-1s (or bombers in general I guess) are too valuable to base in-theatre, or is it more than its easier to ship bomb stores/have hundreds of thousands of pounds of bombs at the large, established bases? I suppose it would be pretty embarrassing for a determined farmer to wander in and cripple/wreck a B-1 with a pack animal loaded with explosive.

I understand why B-2s get based where they are, but what about B-1s/B-52s?

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

movax posted:

^^ So, B-1s (or bombers in general I guess) are too valuable to base in-theatre, or is it more than its easier to ship bomb stores/have hundreds of thousands of pounds of bombs at the large, established bases? I suppose it would be pretty embarrassing for a determined farmerprostitute to wander in and cripple/wreck a B-1 crew with a pack animal loaded with explosivebroken bottle.

Generally, the crew (and their support tail) is based where the aircraft are based.

On Africa, things will happen to redraw borders in ways that better suit the people involved. See, for instance, recent events in Mali and the African Great War. The only question is what the pace will be.

Frozen Horse fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 28, 2012

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

movax posted:

^^ So, B-1s (or bombers in general I guess) are too valuable to base in-theatre, or is it more than its easier to ship bomb stores/have hundreds of thousands of pounds of bombs at the large, established bases? I suppose it would be pretty embarrassing for a determined farmer to wander in and cripple/wreck a B-1 with a pack animal loaded with explosive.

I understand why B-2s get based where they are, but what about B-1s/B-52s?
Bases like Kandahar and Bagram are already extremely busy and crowded. I would think that there simply isn't enough room for a bunch of large bombers to be stationed there on an ongoing basis. Plus, the additional logistical load would probably be prohibitive, as you suggest.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MagnumHB posted:

Bases like Kandahar and Bagram are already extremely busy and crowded. I would think that there simply isn't enough room for a bunch of large bombers to be stationed there on an ongoing basis. Plus, the additional logistical load would probably be prohibitive, as you suggest.

I don't think Bagram has long enough runways

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don't know how true this is (I'm sure Iyaayas can weigh in on this) but I was told by a military historian I'm familiar with that the really big bombers in modern arsenals - B1s, B2, B52s, etc - have such a loving huge logistical tail attached to them that it's straight up cheaper to just have them fly 20 hour missions out of Missouri or wherever and refuel a bunch in the air than it would be to rebase to, say, Italy.

Of course over a long enough time span that kind of rebasing can pay off, but it's expensive enough that you need to be damned sure that you're going to want them in that area for a good, long time.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
So the B1 no longer carries nuclear weapons because of the START treaty? Wasn't that pretty much the job they were designed to do, and now they're being shoehorned into another role that other aircraft could do cheaper/better? Or am I misreading the last handful of comments?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
^^^ Read iyaayas's post - basically, the USAF can't afford to have a single mission aircraft anymore - the B-1 was designed as a low-level penetration strategic bomber, but since we need aircraft to do multiple things, it came down to mothballing them or repurposing them. Denuclearizing them was a great side effect (less maintenance and infrastructure required) and let us look better with the New START treaty requirements. Plus, Congress wouldn't let the USAF mothball them anyway and in 2004 actually made the USAF reactivate some.

wikipedia posted:

Of the 100 B-1Bs built, 93 remained in 2000 after losses in accidents. In June 2001, the Pentagon sought to place a third of its then fleet of 93 into reserve; this proposal resulted in several Air National Guard officers and members of Congress lobbying against the proposal, including the drafting of an amendment to prevent such cuts.[65] The 2001 proposal was intended to allow money to be diverted to further upgrades to the remaining B-1Bs, such as computer modernization.[65] In 2003, accompanied by the removal of B-1Bs from the two bomb wings in the Air National Guard, the USAF decided to retire 33 aircraft to concentrate its budget on maintaining availability of remaining B-1Bs.[116] In 2004 a new appropriation bill called for some of the retired aircraft to return to service,[117] and the USAF returned seven mothballed bombers to service to increase the fleet to 67 aircraft.[118]

Speaking of B-1s, saw this today:

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/06/28/csba_strategists_explain_how_a_weapon_can_help_you_win_without_ever_being_used

quote:

In a new study of strategy in an age of austerity, three CSBA authors, led by Andrew Krepinevich, state that the B-1 bomber imposed disproportionate costs on the Soviet military, forcing it to invest in air defenses "at the expense of offensive capabilities, thereby pushing the superpower competition in a highly favorable direction." Very Sun Tzu-ish!

They also argue that given the basic resiliency of the United States, "a strategy that plays for time or envisions the capability to contest a long-term competition appears to be relevant today."

Another good line: "Strategy is about taking risks and deciding what will not be done as well as what will." This was the essence of the decisions Marshall and Eisenhower contemplated in World War II: What was essential (keeping the Soviets in the war, for example) vs. merely important (lots of other things).

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know how true this is (I'm sure Iyaayas can weigh in on this) but I was told by a military historian I'm familiar with that the really big bombers in modern arsenals - B1s, B2, B52s, etc - have such a loving huge logistical tail attached to them that it's straight up cheaper to just have them fly 20 hour missions out of Missouri or wherever and refuel a bunch in the air than it would be to rebase to, say, Italy.

Of course over a long enough time span that kind of rebasing can pay off, but it's expensive enough that you need to be damned sure that you're going to want them in that area for a good, long time.

The reason B-2s are based in CONUS is because they have super crazy maintenance requirements due to the special stealth coatings they have. IIRC they were based out of Diego Garcia during the beginning of OEF for a bit and I think they rotate to Guam too but they have to have special shelters and, as you say, huge logistical tails. They have the range to go anywhere on the planet so it's easier to just fly them out of Missouri. I'm not sure about B-1s and B-52s except I remember B-52s have flown a lot of missions out of bases in the UK during OEF/OIF.

hannibal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Can't leave them parked at Diego Garcia or else the coconut crabs will steal their hubcaps.