Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Could you not just squirrel away the extra now to adjust for the price hike? I don't want to say 'it's only £30' because from what I gather you have a family and we all know money doesn't go as far as it used to these days. It depends on how you were going to pay for it anyway I guess, saving until release or just buying on payday after release.

Also all the trains on this page are awesome and considering I work on the railways and have complete disdain for train spotters you should consider this the highest complement, Lego Train Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lofty132 posted:

Also all the trains on this page are awesome

I don't care for your sarcastic tone, sir!

(:v:)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Lofty132 posted:

Could you not just squirrel away the extra now to adjust for the price hike? I don't want to say 'it's only £30' because from what I gather you have a family and we all know money doesn't go as far as it used to these days. It depends on how you were going to pay for it anyway I guess, saving until release or just buying on payday after release.

I could afford it. It just pushes it past what I'm willing to pay for Lego. Probably more a psychological point than anything else. To be honest I may not have got it at £120.

It's also a value thing. At £120 it was fairly good value. At £150 it's the same price as the Town Hall which has significantly more pieces.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 27, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gravy Jones posted:

They adjusted the UK price for that Haunted House up from £120 to £150. That sucks, but I guess it was inevitable. It seemed suprisingly cheap before. That probably takes it out of what I'm willing to pay for it now. Which is a shame because it would be the biggest set I'd ever owned by far.

The Australian price has been bumped up to $269 as well. I can't spend that :smith:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gravy Jones posted:

It's also a value thing. At £120 it was fairly good value. At £150 it's the same price as the Town Hall which has significantly more pieces.

It's far cooler than the Town Hall though :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lofty132 posted:

It's called voting with your wallet. Paying their inflated prices means tacitly endorsing them and encouraging them to keep overpricing their products since you will pony up anyway.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Those trains are making me wish I had the parts or the know how to do coupling rods on wheels. :(

Also where did you get the decals from for those? I've seen Amtrak trains at MegaCon when they have their big LEGO setups and I have always wondered where you get Amtrak emblems and such.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Where was the price increase announced? The Lego site still lists it at $180US which is unchanged as far as I recall.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Indolent Bastard posted:

Where was the price increase announced? The Lego site still lists it at $180US which is unchanged as far as I recall.
Gravy Jones and Lizard Combatant mentioned the UK and AU price, respectively. Nobody said anything about the US price.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

less laughter posted:

Gravy Jones and Lizard Combatant mentioned the UK and AU price, respectively. Nobody said anything about the US price.

I just saw Gravy post about the UK price hike and checked the AU site fearing the worst. The US is safe, for now.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Oh, man, I found a guy who built a Lego Allegheny. For those that don't know (which is probably a smaller number than usual in a thread like this) the Allegheny was one of the largest, most powerful steam engines ever built, with a 2-6-6-6 wheel layout. It's by far my favorite piece in the B&O Railroad Museum's collection, and I'm definitely going to have to build one for myself some day.

The guy's flickr is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/savatheaggie/

And here is a picture with the Allegheny next to the Emerald Night:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/savatheaggie/3670351149/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Log082 posted:

Oh, man, I found a guy who built a Lego Allegheny. For those that don't know (which is probably a smaller number than usual in a thread like this) the Allegheny was one of the largest, most powerful steam engines ever built, with a 2-6-6-6 wheel layout. It's by far my favorite piece in the B&O Railroad Museum's collection, and I'm definitely going to have to build one for myself some day.

The guy's flickr is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/savatheaggie/

And here is a picture with the Allegheny next to the Emerald Night:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/savatheaggie/3670351149/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Awesome!

Train chat rules.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lizard Combatant posted:

I just saw Gravy post about the UK price hike and checked the AU site fearing the worst. The US is safe, for now.

So as of right now I'd be saving £50 by buying stateside.. Hmm.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The_Doctor posted:

So as of right now I'd be saving £50 by buying stateside.. Hmm.

I'd be saving USD$80 (what with the AUD being higher than the USD) not including shipping.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Fair enough.

Being the resident expert, can I trouble you for some advice? How would you go about creating the round front windows on one of these guys?

I was considering a transparent 2x2 tile, but I have no way to 'set' it in a frame. I suppose I can just use black 2x2 tiles to suggest the windows.

I really love narrow gauge engines and hopefully Lego start making sets with straight, narrow track. I know there's a City set coming out with some but prices are gonna be ridiculous on bricklink.

This is the train builder's dilemma here. I think those windows are too small for 2x2 rounds, especially at 6-wide, which is what they look to me, but probably bigger than 1x1. Still, I've mostly seen people use 1x1 round plates stuck in technic bricks for windows like that. It's not a perfect solution, though.

Zeether posted:

Those trains are making me wish I had the parts or the know how to do coupling rods on wheels. :(

Also where did you get the decals from for those? I've seen Amtrak trains at MegaCon when they have their big LEGO setups and I have always wondered where you get Amtrak emblems and such.

Most of the side rods we do are just thin technic liftarms in different combinations. The best thing to do is just get some wheels and liftarms and mess around with them.

I make all my decals, though I do know guys who use O gauge decals for some things. Many of the fonts can be found online, and the graphics as well. I print them out on normal label paper, mostly because I suck at decals, and the labels are easily replaced if damaged.

Log082 posted:

Oh, man, I found a guy who built a Lego Allegheny.

Definitely one of the best Lego train models I've seen. He does some pretty great work.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

This is the train builder's dilemma here. I think those windows are too small for 2x2 rounds, especially at 6-wide, which is what they look to me, but probably bigger than 1x1. Still, I've mostly seen people use 1x1 round plates stuck in technic bricks for windows like that. It's not a perfect solution, though.

Maybe a variation of this technique using 1x3 arches?

It's not ideal but it does create a space somewhere between 1x1 and 2x2.

e: nope, that creates a long oval shape. drat.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 27, 2012

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Now I really want to go home and play Railworks.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

If I can scrape together the cash, one day I will go on a Lego train buying spree. Always wanted the Metroliner and that one giant red electric crocodile loco too.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 28, 2012

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Big thanks to Mog for a great Minifigure transaction. I have 15 more Galaxy Patrol figures still sealed if anyone is interested. Shoot me a PM.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Australian price has been bumped up to $269 as well. I can't spend that :smith:

I don't know that the Australian price was ever lower than $269. I made a guess earlier in the thread that it would be about $250 (judging by another, similarly sized, recent set) but I never saw it at less than $269.

It's still expensive. And they'll still sell.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

It's on the shop.lego.au right now as an exclusive: but it says out Sept 1st for 269.99. Shipping from the leego online store would be another 40 at least.

Post from June 16.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MaliciousOnion posted:

I don't know that the Australian price was ever lower than $269. I made a guess earlier in the thread that it would be about $250 (judging by another, similarly sized, recent set) but I never saw it at less than $269.

It's still expensive. And they'll still sell.

I swear I saw it for $239 on their site when it was first announced, I did a search on the site and found their temporary page which said AUD$239, avaliable September 1st.

e: ok, looks like I may be talking poo poo. Guess I'm definitely ordering from the US.

e2: actually since I don't really care about the minifigs (cool as they are), what could I expect to pay for a New/incomplete set on bricklink once it's out? How much would 6 missing minifigs knock off the price?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 28, 2012

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

The Rage posted:

Big thanks to Mog for a great Minifigure transaction. I have 15 more Galaxy Patrol figures still sealed if anyone is interested. Shoot me a PM.
Are you trading or accepting cash? I don't have one can email you if you want

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

So this is basically the new Best Thing Ever and everybody needs to vote for it. If Minecraft got greenlit, surely Portal has a fighting chance, right?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Optimist Prime posted:

So this is basically the new Best Thing Ever and everybody needs to vote for it. If Minecraft got greenlit, surely Portal has a fighting chance, right?

No. I seem to recall someone pitching a portal themed thing on cuusoo and I think even hitting 10k votes only to have lego say "yeah portal is basically never going to happen."

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Saint Sputnik posted:

I just registered for Cuusoo so I could support this because got-dang
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/9068

So that got edited into this:

Which is still good, but significantly less rad.

e: I'm dumb and need to learn to scroll down. He is doing an entire Roman History set, including an area and several Celtic sets.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Without the wolf headdress I am less interested. I could see lego doing it just because there is no new molds.

I know non violent themes don't sell well but I do want more futuristic non violent sets like I saw in the past, neon orange chain saws for cutting ice doesn't count as violent.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Torael_7 posted:

No. I seem to recall someone pitching a portal themed thing on cuusoo and I think even hitting 10k votes only to have lego say "yeah portal is basically never going to happen."

Oh. Well, apparently this one was vetoed at first, but then Cuusoo gave it a closer look and reinstated it for voting. But Cuusoo's criteria are not the same as Lego's, so...

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
Lego is addictive. I plowed through the 8110 unimog, and an nxt 2.0 set should get here tomorrow. Anyone know of any exceptionally fun nxt projects to try?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Th_ posted:

Anyone know of any exceptionally fun nxt projects to try?

NXT Rubix cube solver.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The rubix cubed solvers made my jaw drop when I saw them at the lego show. I'd assumed all that nxt/mindstorms stuff was just for kids in school to make dumb robots that you could program in a path or something. It actually all seems pretty powerful.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Are there any good accessories/tools for the Unimog? Got mine built and saw some on rebrickable but they seem to require you to buy another one just to get the parts :p

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So a new toy store opened up near where I live and they're having 50% off on all Lego tomorrow. Based on other stores in the same chain I think they will mostly have City, Star Wars, Ninjago and Creator. Maybe a few sets from other current and previous themes but no UCS or modulars.

I'll be looking to pick something up for myself but I also thought I'd buy something to sell online. If I can buy it for 50% and sell it for 75-100% of the retail price I'll make money and not feel like a bastard.

I'm just wondering if I should look for or avoid anything in particular? Like Ninjago, is that easy to sell second hand or is the market saturated by retail? Should I just look for the biggest price tag?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Buy all of it. With the exception of a few things that seem to always be half price everywhere I think anything that's 50% off you could probably sell for a profit. For some it might not be worth the hassle though.

Just make sure it's 50% off MRSP not a big retail mark-up. Brickset have some mobile phone aps that could help with that. In general I'd say the more recent the better. Current Star Wars and Ninjago over City and Creator. Some City and Creator sets often have high mark-ups and big discounts so they might be ones that could catch you out.

Unpopular sets from themes on their way out (Pharoah's Quest, Alien Conquest) or leftovers from stuff like Prince of Persia might not be worth it either.

It may also depend what country you're in. In the UK 50% of a discontinued line happens now and then and isn't a massive deal. In the US it's still pretty unusual.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 29, 2012

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Jusupov posted:

Are there any good accessories/tools for the Unimog? Got mine built and saw some on rebrickable but they seem to require you to buy another one just to get the parts :p

No official ones, and I don't remember seeing any MOC accessories that were from a single technic set. If you hit Build It on rebrickable it'll show you the sets that have the most parts you need, or let you export the part list to bricklink if you want to get the parts piecemeal.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

Buy all of it. With the exception of a few things that seem to always be half price everywhere I think anything that's 50% off you could probably sell for a profit. For some it might not be worth the hassle though.

Just make sure it's 50% off MRSP not a big retail mark-up. Brickset have some mobile phone aps that could help with that. In general I'd say the more recent the better. Current Star Wars and Ninjago over City and Creator. Some City and Creator sets often have high mark-ups and big discounts so they might be ones that could catch you out.

Unpopular sets from themes on their way out (Pharoah's Quest, Alien Conquest) or leftovers from stuff like Prince of Persia might not be worth it either.

It may also depend what country you're in. In the UK 50% of a discontinued line happens now and then and isn't a massive deal. In the US it's still pretty unusual.

Alright, thanks for the tips! I don't own a smartphone but I've got a lot of prices memorized anyway.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Merchant of Death posted:

NXT Rubix cube solver.

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone made a NXT Rubik's Cube solver-bot that can solve a cube as fast as some humans (<10 seconds). That blew me away.

edit: I found this one that uses 4 NXT computer bricks and an Android phone to solve a cube in 5.4 seconds.

http://singularityhub.com/2011/10/19/lego-robot-beats-human-world-record-for-solving-the-rubiks-cube/

rockinricky fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 29, 2012

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

rockinricky posted:

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone made a NXT Rubik's Cube solver-bot that can solve a cube as fast as some humans (<10 seconds). That blew me away.

edit: I found this one that uses 4 NXT computer bricks and an Android phone to solve a cube in 5.4 seconds.

http://singularityhub.com/2011/10/19/lego-robot-beats-human-world-record-for-solving-the-rubiks-cube/

I think I have to try to make that.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Alright, thanks for the tips! I don't own a smartphone but I've got a lot of prices memorized anyway.
I'd recommend looking for licensed products with rare minifigs. For instance, just the minifigs from The Black Pearl set sell on Bricklink for more than $50% of the retail price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

Uh, yeah, about this. I live in Sweden and 50% off everything is pretty unusual it seems, I read somewhere it only happens when a new store opens.

When I came by the store this morning the line outside was about 100m long! Up front were a bunch of 30-something AFOL-looking guys carrying a big black garbage bag and a blue IKEA bag. I left because I figured everything would be gone by the time I got in and I didn't feel like standing in line.

Came back over an hour later and the line was half as long so I figured I could pick up whatever was left. But it turns out they had stocked up for the occasion and I got a pretty good catch!

In hindsight I should have come earlier, stood in line, picked up The Black Pearl, Jabba's Palace (I saw a few people carrying these when I came in but they were gone from the shelves, same thing with BP) and the Unimog, gone home and come back for a few smaller sets. But being fresh out of uni and unemployed that would probably have ruined me before I would have the chance to sell them.

The City sets are for me, BTW. :v: