Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kazy posted:

So uhh.. How do you actually view a post in the tablet version?

All it does is take me to the picture.

Swipe up on the username/comment area near the bottom center of the pic.

That's about the only gripe I have about the UI, I feel it should expand by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vote_no posted:

Every G+ updates makes me sad that they seem to have abandoned the Messenger function. It was very promising for multi-chat or even as a Google Talk replacement, but with each update they do not replace the idiotic picture selection mechanism or add GIF support I care a little less about G+.
I posted this in the phone thread that you might be interested in reading.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
A good read, thanks; at least they know it blows.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

XIII posted:

Anybody wanna hook a fellow goon up with a Scope invite? I'd love you forever.

I didn't know what Scope was until I googled it. Signed up for a beta invite, one arrive via email in an hour.

Am I just special or lucky? It was pretty painless honestly.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hotsauce posted:

I didn't know what Scope was until I googled it. Signed up for a beta invite, one arrive via email in an hour.

Luck. I've signed up a few times since they initially announced the alpha. I got jack.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

EDIT:^ Dammit. I was hoping I was wrong. So, how about someone hook me up with that invite...

hotsauce posted:

Oh, the article I read made it sound like it was invite only at this point. Going to go sign up for it.

XIII fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 28, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

XIII posted:

Anybody wanna hook a fellow goon up with a Scope invite? I'd love you forever.

Send me your email and I'll give you an invite.

Heck if anyone want's one I'll send you an invite. Although I guess it's quicker now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Heck if anyone want's one I'll send you an invite. Although I guess it's quicker now.

EDIT: Removed

Thanks!

XIII fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 28, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

XIII posted:

Email.

Alright I sent you an invite. I hope it works.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skeezy posted:

Alright I sent you an invite. I hope it works.

removed.

thanks!

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 28, 2012

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Skeezy posted:

If you've got another I wouldn't mind trying it as well. Haven't heard a peep from them in a few weeks, thanks!

edit: thanks!! :) you rock.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 28, 2012

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Skeezy posted:

I'd love one, as well, if you've got. Been waiting a while and nothing so far.
Username@gmail

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Skeezy posted:

Email removed. Thanks again.

moms pubis fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 28, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

uberingram@geemale

Done.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

If you've got another I wouldn't mind trying it as well. Haven't heard a peep from them in a few weeks, thanks!

lljkdfg@gmail.com

Done.

ilysespieces posted:

I'd love one, as well, if you've got. Been waiting a while and nothing so far.
Username@gmail

Done.

moms pubis posted:

I'd love one. hygraed at gmail dot com. Thank you!

Done.

--------

I think I might be all out of invites but I can still try sending them to others.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I think I might be all out of invites but I can still try sending them to others.

I wouldn't mind one -redacted- if you can

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 28, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wouldn't mind one

I got ya

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What is this scope thing? I tried googling and got an oscilloscope app.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

What is this scope thing? I tried googling and got an oscilloscope app.

Google SocialScope.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I feel like I have this scope... but my google-full is borked. Or did I miss some one posting the link? This isn't social scope right?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

deong posted:

I feel like I have this scope... but my google-full is borked. Or did I miss some one posting the link? This isn't social scope right?

It's the new name for SocialScope yeah. It got a new UI or something, I don't know it seems a little silly to me.

Oh and one more thing I know The Verge had some invitations to it, try using invite code "theverge" and see if it works. That's how I got in.

----

Is there a reason to use Scope really? I like the main UI but aside from that it's plain and there's better Twitter apps and Facebook apps out there. Also for Tumblr you have the official app which is really good nowadays.

I'm glad I was able to give people invites to it but I just don't get the appeal of it.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 28, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I gotta say, I am a little bit underwhelmed by it. I read an article that made it sound like the second loving coming of christ, so I wanted to try it out. I highly doubt it'll be on my phone long.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

XIII posted:

Yeah, I gotta say, I am a little bit underwhelmed by it. I read an article that made it sound like the second loving coming of christ, so I wanted to try it out. I highly doubt it'll be on my phone long.

I'm going to assume it was people hyping it since it was closed beta and it was really hard to get invites.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's not awful but it doesn't bring anything to the table that isn't already there in some form or another. Being in an indefinite beta sure isn't helping them any.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
[edit: wait what no]

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 28, 2012

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Does turn by turn navigation work offline? I've tried downloading the map area and have the GPS on while turning my data off. The blue arrow can find where I am on the map but when I try to navigate to a point on the map I'd get stuck on "getting driving directions." Anybody got it to work?

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 28, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

rexelation posted:

Does turn by turn navigation work offline? I've tried download the map area and have the GPS on while turning my data off. The blue arrow can find where I am on the map but when I try to navigate to a point on the map I'd get stock on "getting driving directions." Anybody got it to work?

I assume it uses Google's servers to do the routing calculations, it's probably a lot of heavy lifting for a phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

rolleyes posted:

I assume it uses Google's servers to do the routing calculations, it's probably a lot of heavy lifting for a phone.

I don't see how when stand alone car GPS units can do basic routing on way less hardware than even an entry level phone.

---

The new gyro Street View compass mode is awesome because my Nexus S has such a terrible compass - I just wish they'd update Skymap too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

I don't see how when stand alone car GPS units can do basic routing on way less hardware than even an entry level phone.
We don't know how Google Maps likes to create routes but I think we can guess that it's probably not the way most GPS units do. Although knowing Google it's quite possible that version one of offline turn-by-turn works like poo poo.

dissss posted:

The new gyro Street View compass mode is awesome because my Nexus S has such a terrible compass - I just wish they'd update Skymap too
Skymap has been abandoned and opensourced. I think MIT is currently handling development of it but I don't think they've released anything yet.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
One other thing regarding Google Maps and routing for Navigation is that you have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Sure, all current phones can manage routing the way standalone GPS units do, but what's the oldest/crappest phone still supported by the current version of Google Maps?

There are also other data-based things tied into the Navigation system, like traffic reporting (both to and from your device) etc. Also, what happens if you accidentally stray outside of your precached map area and it needs to calculate a reroute? Adding offline routing to Navigation has a lot of complexity associated with it when you can't guarantee map availability.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

Does Compass Mode continue to move for you when you've actually stopped moving on your Nexus S? Mine seems to just keep going around until I back out of the app or wiggle the phone around a bit.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Battery life gets better after the first week or so.
I've been charging it overnight with the power completely off, I heard that helps break the battery in. Any other tips?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I've been charging it overnight with the power completely off, I heard that helps break the battery in. Any other tips?

You're not running a task killer, are you? You shouldn't be if you are.

Despite what the guy selling the phone in the Spirit/AT&T/Verizon store tells you, they are bad.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

I wouldn't mind a Scope invite if anyone's still feeling generous.

sdelaguera @ gmail.com

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

You're not running a task killer, are you? You shouldn't be if you are.

Despite what the guy selling the phone in the Spirit/AT&T/Verizon store tells you, they are bad.

Nope, I let the OS manage memory/tasks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Couch Life posted:

I wouldn't mind a Scope invite if anyone's still feeling generous.

email

Sent.

Although I'm probably not going to keep using it, I do appreciate Skeezy sending me an invite. I'll try to send out a few more to people that want it before I remove it, just to pass it forward.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What's the current hot stuff for launchers?

\/\/\/ Rad, thanks.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 28, 2012

BluDiE
Jan 2, 2008

Don't you get it?!?
Everybody loses, now
THAT's WINNING!
You can just grab Scope from the Play store and use "theverge" as your invite code if you want in.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is there a very simple lightweight music player app that'll let me tell it to make a playlist out of all music and folders in a directory? It'd be great if it dynamically updated as I added more but I'm OK with "Okay, make a playlist out of this, save the playlist, play it."

MixZing kinda does this but I hate the interface. I don't care about equalizers, lyrics, etc. - just play the song, display the album art and artist/title, and the playlist functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I'm having a bit of trouble with my contacts/People app. I've saved some number into my phone but they don't show up in the contacts list. Which is annoying because it makes me think I don't have my friend's number sometimes. I can search and they show up but they're not there when I browse through the contact list.

Is there a way to fix this? I've put show all contacts and every goon I followed on G+ but it still doesn't show many of my friend's numbers. Or am I just lucked out and have to get a new app all together?

• Locked thread