Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Wow, that's an absolutely ridiculous price. Even £25 is a lot, but I know they had to pay quite a bit to buy it from the BBC and most of that goes to them/Chris Evans (the guy who runs gofasterstripe, not the ginger or the actor) so it's not too bad. But £40 is ridiculous. I'll probably hold off and get both series when they're available in some sort of box set.

Hopefully they'll release TMWRNJ, I always preferred that. Spent ages watching Histor's Eye on youtube this morning :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

SeanBeansShako posted:

He was cheap and obviously pissed off even the guy editing the thing.

Also I think "in universe" I'm Alan Partridge was a recreation of events in Alan's life with actors (besides Alan and Lynn) which makes as much sense. Likewise how he makes himself sound like the kind of person he actually is for most of I, Partridge, save for two events retold from IAP where he actually lies in an effort to sound better. I know part of it is that we saw them and could know the extent to which he was lying, I just mean it's a little inconsistent, and not in the normal Partridge way where he revises his reasoning as it suits him (loving/hating the BBC, being on the radio etc)

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

For any of you who haven't bought the Fist of Fun series one DVD yet, get it from gofasterstripe.com. It's £25 as opposed to £40 on Amazon.

Incidentally the radio series is playing again on Radio 4 Extra at the moment. Listen to Richard Herring fawning over Julia Sawalha then awkwardly remember that they actually ended up going out years later.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

marktheando posted:

Nothing irrational about thinking that, Sky are assholes. I worked for them briefly and a bunch of them would call terrestrial tv "council telly" to try and shame poor people into getting sky when they can't really afford it. Disgusting.

Council Telly is a pretty common expression around here too. But then I live on a council estate, so I dunno if that makes us self loathing or what?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What do the dickheads call it if the area is owned by a housing association?

Testro
May 2, 2009
That's quite ironic. Whenever I've lived in poorer areas, those who are better off don't have Sky and it's people from council estates who do. Where I grew up, there was a lot of snobbery about having a dish on the side of the house, as it was perceived as common.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Jonnty posted:

Incidentally the radio series is playing again on Radio 4 Extra at the moment. Listen to Richard Herring fawning over Julia Sawalha then awkwardly remember that they actually ended up going out years later.

My favourite part about that is the story of them on holiday in Thailand. In a pub, the owner says that Julia Sawalha looks just like Saffy then goes on to tell her that the real Saffy had visited the pub a few months back.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Testro posted:

That's quite ironic. Whenever I've lived in poorer areas, those who are better off don't have Sky and it's people from council estates who do. Where I grew up, there was a lot of snobbery about having a dish on the side of the house, as it was perceived as common.

My mum once vetoed us getting FreeSat because "satellite dishes are for the sort of people that watch sports channels."

Raeg posted:

My favourite part about that is the story of them on holiday in Thailand. In a pub, the owner says that Julia Sawalha looks just like Saffy then goes on to tell her that the real Saffy had visited the pub a few months back.

Ahahahah excellent. My grandma once told Debbie McGee that she was the spitting image of Debbie McGee.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

For any of you who haven't bought the Fist of Fun series one DVD yet, get it from gofasterstripe.com. It's £25 as opposed to £40 on Amazon.

You should buy fewer things from Amazon because they're massive tax avoiders.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/04/amazon-british-operation-corporation-tax

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
That's rich coming from The Guardian which is a...you guessed it, massive tax avoider. You should buy from gofasterstripe though because they're awesome. If you like buying things from awesome people, I can also vouch for Lucy Porter's The Good Life and Simon Munnery's Hello. They don't quite come with the same level of awesome packaging and extras that Fist of Fun got but they are fun jaunts into unusual stand-up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Guardian isn't a hugely successful multi-billion pound company who can probably easily afford the tax they are avoiding though.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Heavy_D posted:

That's rich coming from The Guardian which is a...you guessed it, massive tax avoider.

Good luck finding a newspaper that isn't.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

In a way it's admirable that the guardian's reporters / editors are independent o the owners and can report on such matters.

lol

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

Private Eye's sort of a newspaper. But their Christmas catalogue is poo poo :(

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

cloudchamber posted:

Financial Times.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Capitalist Swine.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Leyburn posted:

Capitalist Swine.

Maybe. But I'm a moderately well informed capitalist swine that gets the closest thing to unbiased news reporting (and clearly labeled comment) that you'll likely find in print in the UK. Because the FT is pretty much the only paper that prints around the world and has a captive audience in bankers they have a secure source of income, a consistent circulation and can, therefore, write whatever the gently caress they fancy. It's a credit to them that they don't. They tend to go 'here's what happened. Now you go away and think about it.'

Sion fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 27, 2012

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Why are you all talking about tax? I came here to see if anyone watched "Line of Duty" on BBC last night and if so, what they thought of it.

Unless of course you all want to talk about tax

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I saw up to him having monochromatic flashbacks to the traumatic event while looking sad, and decided it wasn't very good.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Anyone see this last night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bddWaHuxTzc

It's all over the (tax dodging) papers today.

"Is this some sort of joke?"

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Metrication posted:

Imagine if it had been Osbourne and not her. There would have been blood

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Metrication posted:

This is so painful to watch and even worse when you remember that the leader of the opposition is Ed Milliband, so this is probably the best grilling the coalition has ever had. Starts at 6:15 for anyone about to watch it.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The best part is when she's asked "Do you ever think you are incompetent?" and she doesn't say no.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Metrication posted:

The best part is when she's asked "Do you ever think you are incompetent?" and she doesn't say no.

That was hilarious.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Brainwrong posted:

Imagine if it had been Osbourne and not her. There would have been blood

I rarely try to quote The Thick of It but... It's like watching a lion rape a sheep.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Oh my, I just felt sorry for her in the end. Paxman was only doing his job but she was given an awful hand to play.

I should probably watch Newsnight more often, I presume he savages all sides equally well when they put politics ahead of looking or at least sounding sensible?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Paxman just lays into anyone who annoys him. If they can't put up a decent fight, that just seems to annoy him even more.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Paxo giving Alistair Darling a hard time a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWc9n6UQJ-4

Isn't it strange to hear them talking about exiting a recession? It's hard to find a clip of him being quite as foul to his interviewee as he was in the other one, because here the Chancellor himself has come on to take his kicking like a man, rather than using a junior minister as a human shield to take it for him (and then, being the actual bloke in charge, he does a better job of defending his own policy than the shield would have been). Good job, Speedicut.

Here's one we can all get behind: Paxo vs the English Defence League. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96elyZaxq8

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Has anyone received their youview boxes yet? I got an email saying my one is coming Saturday and I'm quite excited tbh.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Paxo giving Alistair Darling a hard time a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWc9n6UQJ-4

Isn't it strange to hear them talking about exiting a recession? It's hard to find a clip of him being quite as foul to his interviewee as he was in the other one, because here the Chancellor himself has come on to take his kicking like a man, rather than using a junior minister as a human shield to take it for him (and then, being the actual bloke in charge, he does a better job of defending his own policy than the shield would have been). Good job, Speedicut.

Here's one we can all get behind: Paxo vs the English Defence League. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96elyZaxq8

The Galloway interviews were the best IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKDuhGOqr8E

Round 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_YL9EILNo

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 28, 2012

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Well "Hit & Miss" turned out to be one of the oddest mini-series I've ever watched. The premise alone was out there and the story took that strangeness and ran with it. Think Emmerdale with the odd murder or two each episode to go with the transsexual shenanigans.

Don't visit the wiki though, on the page it spoils the hell out of all six episodes including how it ended.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
First Youview leak I've found.
https://yfrog.com/ocvp3ekj

Unsurprisingly it follows the standard freeview box design template.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Re YouView, aren't you guys worried about being kicked out of the trial for breaking the confidentiality agreement?

I think reading the Olympic thread has made me a bit skittish!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like one of these with new guts http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_stb_terrestrial_hdrfoxt2.aspx

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Thats what I was thinking too. Bodes well because the current Humax boxes are the bee's proverbial.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

Testro posted:

Re YouView, aren't you guys worried about being kicked out of the trial for breaking the confidentiality agreement?

I think reading the Olympic thread has made me a bit skittish!

What happened there?

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

Roidweiser posted:

What happened there?

Someone got spoken to about protesting the Olympic torch by the police for what they posted here. I doubt the met are going to enforce the youview confidentiality agreement though also a lot of people are talking about it so im not even sure it breaks the agreement.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Does youview have anything you can't get from Virgin on demand and a laptop hooked up to your TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009
I wasn't suggesting that it would be the met who would be interested, but just that this is a more open place than it sometimes feels when you're chatting with thread regulars.