Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty okay so far. Sort of an Arkham Asylum-lite with some city-swinging as well. Not fantastic but not bad.

There's a few things not spoiled in the opening cutscene but they're spoiled not long afterwards. I wouldn't even boot it up until you've seen the movie if you at all care since there's some major things in there.

Can you give me a rundown on the controls and how much you have to use the left trigger and bumpers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidswordz
Mar 21, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

One of the weirdest things about the Raimi trilogy to me was casting a natural blonde to play a redhead and then casting a natural redhead to play a blonde in the third film

:eng101: Emma Stone is actually a natural blonde.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

liquidswordz posted:

:eng101: Emma Stone is actually a natural blonde.

He was talking about Bryce Dallas Howard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

der juicen posted:

Can you give me a rundown on the controls and how much you have to use the left trigger and bumpers?

The left bumper is Web Retreat, the left trigger is Camera. The bumper is the more important one. The right bumper is the Web Zip and the most important mechanic in the game, so if yours isn't working the game is basically unplayable.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

The spliced trailer is a funny thing, but really this movie is gonna be all about the direction. The plot seems a pretty straightfowardly based on "tweaked Ultimate Spiderman Origin" + "Every Lizard Origin Story Ever Published".

I also notice people get a lot more excited at the first of obvious trilogies because it's mainly seeing what the writers and makers will establish as the "rules".

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
I play by my own rules, baby.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

IGN didn't think much of The Amazing Spider-Man :smith:

Then another writer on the site goes on to say the exact opposite thing:

http://www.ign.com/blogs/joey-ign/2012/06/27/my-thoughts-on-the-amazing-spider-man/

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

IGN didn't think much of The Amazing Spider-Man :smith:

How in the gently caress does this guy get paid to do video reviews. His speech patterns are so awkward. Even ignoring the fact that his arguments are pretty stupid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pablo Gigante posted:

One of the weirdest things about the Raimi trilogy to me was casting a natural blonde to play a redhead and then casting a natural redhead to play a blonde in the third film

Raimi totally hosed up by not casting Topher Grace and Bryce Dallas Howard as Peter and MJ, respectively.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

teagone posted:

Raimi totally hosed up by not casting Topher Grace...

He was mad about something in Spiderman 3.

Yowza
Sep 9, 2011

quote:

J. Michael Straczynski wrote Spidey for a few years in the comic and he introduced a few ideas that were not very popular with fans, though.

That being said, one of the ideas that he DID introduce that I was intrigued by was the notion that Peter didn't get his powers thanks to a radioactive spider biting him, but because there was something unique about the spider biting him in the first place, that his powers made him some sort of special animal avatar.

It introduced what was seen by fans as a new-age mystical origin for the Spider-powers rather than a pseudo-science one, and I don't think it was ever really 100% certain where the truth was, but I always thought that had the Raimi versions of the films continued it could have been interesting to jump forward with Spider-man some 5 or so years after the events of the third film and start to explore a more grown-up Peter who simply accepted the origins of his powers at face value and now has to question what a guy with identical spider powers is telling him.

The downside is that one of the points that the character Ezekiel brings up is impossible to really reference in the films as they were: He, I think, states that it's sort of interesting that a number of Peter's enemies as Spider-Man have some sort of animal issues, too. The Rhino, Doc Ock, The Jackal, Black Cat, Lizard, Puma, etc. He posits the idea that one reason this is the case is because Peter is the 'real deal' and they're all fakes, which on an unconscious level they recognize and can't accept.

Now, I don't know if it would work perfectly in a movie, but I do think there are ways it COULD have worked well enough for a film.

The J. Michael Straczynski stuff was after I had quit reading Spider-Man so I don't know a lot about it. From the way you've described it, the whole mystical angle sounds albeit oversimplified though. While his run was perhaps marked by more longer self-contained storylines, I think there's more offsetting angles to be gleaned from the collage of stuff that came out in the early to mid-90's even if Mr. Straczynski's stories can be collected in volumes that fit snugly together.

However, I think it would be interesting to look at how people would react on a social level to animal like beings walking around with super-powers. There's something about a humanoid reptillian creature that carries a mystical overtone to it as well. I remember watching a documentary about evolutionary processes and how there's a reptilian part to the human brain. There's sometimes some shifty reptilian like behavior some of us may have to deal with at work right? (just kidding)

As a lot of people tend to anthropomorphisize various creatures with having certain qualities, there are many myths attached to reptilian like beings. Within many ancient religious texts are mention of reptilian like humanoid creatures. Various new agers or ufo enthusiasts have claimed reports of creatures like these from time to time as well. Literary works (such as certain stories by HP Lovecraft) seem to tap into this too. I don't think this sort of stuff is at all appropriate for a Spider-Man movie but having certain characters analogise how they interpret something they're experiencing in the story textures the narrative somewhat. However, being an adaptation on a character like Spider-Man the extent one can do this seems rather limited I think.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005
A very interesting negative review. He sure has a lot of complaints, including racism!

http://www.filmmafia.com.au/

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty okay so far. Sort of an Arkham Asylum-lite with some city-swinging as well. Not fantastic but not bad.

One of my favorite things to do in the older Spider-man games (The Raimi based games) was just to load the game and go web-slinging around the city. Is this possible in this game?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeathChill posted:

A very interesting negative review. He sure has a lot of complaints, including racism!

I don't see where he complains of racism, just that he says it's basically like a superhero version of a Garry Marshall movie.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't see where he complains of racism, just that he says it's basically like a superhero version of a Garry Marshall movie.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding him, but here's the quote:

quote:

The only character in the movie who is obviously nefarious is also the only non-white main character - a strange and telling example of exactly how far off the mark this movie is.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is the game any good? I loved Spider-Man 2 and Web of Shadows; I wanted to love Spider-Man 3 but the controls were too sluggish and getting beaten to death by a bunch of girls with umbrellas was dumb. Couldn't for the life of me tolerate Shattered Dimensions.

Couldn't find a thread for the game in the Games forums.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

^^ This is the closest thread to what you're looking for outside of the catch-all PS3 or 360 threads.

Comfortador posted:

One of my favorite things to do in the older Spider-man games (The Raimi based games) was just to load the game and go web-slinging around the city. Is this possible in this game?

Yes. The webbing doesn't stick to anything except a vague point above you off-screen, though it does adjust for how high you are.

[snip - I'll follow my own directions and put this in a games discussion]

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 28, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeathChill posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding him, but here's the quote:

Ahh, thanks. Boy I can't read.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just saw the movie tonight, and I thought it was pretty good. Visually very nice with the 3D, and much better casting then the last 3 movies. There were a few things I didn't like, but overall it was a very comic-booky Spider-Man experience.

Spoilered for people who don't want to know specifics of the plot:

I didn't think the origin was necessary to do again, but they made it different enough that it was ok. I thought their scenario was much more plausible than the first movie's, and even the original comics. Uncle Ben's death had more impact this time, and it's very clearly Peter's fault. We also got to see a little more of him and what he was about before he died, which was nice.

Everything related to the Lizard was kind of lame though. I didn't find him threatening it all. His CG form looked like he was always grinning all the time, and not in a scary way. His motivations are not that great either, although they try to make his reasons to experiment on himself convincing.

The stuff with Peter's parents I liked, but it didn't have that much impact on the story. It was basically just his motivation to seek out Connors and start all the genetic manipulation happening.

Just like the last movie, there's the problem of everyone knows/ is related to everyone else important. In this movie it's Gwen. She happens to be the daughter of the police captain who is chasing Spider-Man, and also working for the scientist who worked with Peter's father. Also, just like the last movies, he finds it utterly impossible to keep his mask on. I think almost every Spider-Man scene has him unmasking at some point. Even when there's no real reason, like after his fight at the school, he's just walking around maskless. Thing must be itchy or something. A good portion of New York, and pretty much everyone at his high school, should know he has superpowers after this movie. Also near the end he gets shot in the leg and seems to forget about it after it has ceased to be dramatic.

The action scenes are pretty cool. They did the web-swinging and classic spider-man moves much better than the previous movies. He moves like I imagined him to in the comics. Most of the Spider-Man action one-liners are in the trailers, but he's still much more teenager-y. One of my favorite parts is when he's chilling in the sewers waiting for the Lizard to emerge and is playing a cell phone game.

Overall, it's a not-bad Spider-man movie. Visually it's very pretty, but the villain and the plot could have used some work. At times it is quite cheesy, and at other times it is quite effective. The plot relies quite heavily on coincidence. As the Raimi films are based on 60's and 70's Spider-Man, I think this is a pretty good adaption of many of the ideas in Ultimate Spider-Man.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

DeathChill posted:

Well, good to hear that MTV's Best Kiss Award is a lock for Emma and Andrew this/next year.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

DeathChill posted:

I know looks shouldn't be indicative of the ability to criticize film, but that guy looks like a toolbag so I can't listen to a word he says.

That douchey hat is just screaming at me too loud to hear what he has to say.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

FabioClone posted:

The plot relies quite heavily on coincidence. As the Raimi films are based on 60's and 70's Spider-Man, I think this is a pretty good adaption of many of the ideas in Ultimate Spider-Man.

I like how in the context of a dude who gets his powers from a random spider bite, the "coincidence" still bugs the hell out of me because I know it's unrelated to that.

liquidswordz
Mar 21, 2003

qbert posted:

He was talking about Bryce Dallas Howard.

:aaa:

teagone posted:

Raimi totally hosed up by not casting Topher Grace and Bryce Dallas Howard as Peter and MJ, respectively.

In an alternate universe, Kirsten Dunst gets thrown off a bridge.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

liquidswordz posted:

In an alternate universe, Kirsten Dunst gets thrown off a bridge.

That's the universe I want to live in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you guys like Ebert, he calls it "probably the second-best" Spider-Man movie.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

He also mentions "credit cookies" though I suppose those are basically standard for any superhero film these days.

DeathChill
Feb 28, 2005

massive spider posted:

He also mentions "credit cookies" though I suppose those are basically standard for any superhero film these days.

Yeah it's mid-credits and it's the scene that's been in all the trailers.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
That was a fun two+hours.

Pay attention to Peter Parker's room. I'll need a second viewing to see what I missed. Dong lover

The director seemed to enjoy exploring Peter's parents and sounded like he wanted to go deeper into their story for the next film

He was also enthusiastic about shrinking the viewpoint to just Peter's

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Well, I wrote a review for Wag The Movie, which I guess I'll deposit here:

http://wagthemovie.net/2012/07/02/a-tangled-web-of-fatherhood-a-review-of-the-amazing-spider-man/

In short, I dug it, but man does it have some problems.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Just got back. This movie had a lot of problems but I liked it more than the first three Spider-Man movies. It had a kind of humanity that a lot of comic book movies lack.

I really liked the "teenagerness" of it all. The characters were as awkward as teenagers, with teenage behavior and motivations. And the lizard attacking the school was great. And I liked the lizard becoming a villain out of his feeling of weakness and regretting killing the captain, the bully feeling bad for Peter after his uncle dies, etcetc. It all felt very human, and the movie's theme about how dwelling can be destructive to you and those you care about is great.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

They always had the strangest casting. Really the only well cast actors in the whole trilogy were Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina.

Bruce Campbell!

Also, is he in the new movie? His spots in the first three always gave me a laugh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

badjohny posted:

Bruce Campbell!

Also, is he in the new movie? His spots in the first three always gave me a laugh.

No, but he is in the new video game.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

No, but he is in the new video game.

This makes me really happy for some reason. I think I'm just glad to know when he's getting work.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Isn't he still on Burn Notice? That was a steady income, at least.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Star Guarded posted:

Just got back. This movie had a lot of problems but I liked it more than the first three Spider-Man movies. It had a kind of humanity that a lot of comic book movies lack.

I really liked the "teenagerness" of it all. The characters were as awkward as teenagers, with teenage behavior and motivations. And the lizard attacking the school was great. And I liked the lizard becoming a villain out of his feeling of weakness and regretting killing the captain, the bully feeling bad for Peter after his uncle dies, etcetc. It all felt very human, and the movie's theme about how dwelling can be destructive to you and those you care about is great.

One of the great little bits of the movie is in how after every superheroing sequence he does, Peter comes home covered in bruises and Aunt May is like "oh my god what the hell happened". How they weave it into something where it can be ambiguous on whether or not May has figured out that Peter is Spider-Man (the first instance of him coming home bruised is before he's a superhero, when Flash beats him up for sticking up for a smaller kid) is also pretty brilliant and really feeds into the base humanism of Spidey's existence.

And on the school bit, that whole sequence contains the only real moment of action that I thought worked a hundred percent: when Stan Lee's cameo happens, the fight in the background seems to hit on exactly how Spider-Man should move, with balletic movements, contrasted against The Lizard just pushing and tearing through everything, half a step behind him. That, and the Lizard throwing the table and Spidey catching it right before it hits Stan is pretty funny stuff. Maybe I liked it because it played out as one long bit with a sense of blocking and choreography, rather than several pieces tossed together with erratic editing like in the subway fight.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

The Cameo posted:

One of the great little bits of the movie is in how after every superheroing sequence he does, Peter comes home covered in bruises and Aunt May is like "oh my god what the hell happened". How they weave it into something where it can be ambiguous on whether or not May has figured out that Peter is Spider-Man (the first instance of him coming home bruised is before he's a superhero, when Flash beats him up for sticking up for a smaller kid) is also pretty brilliant and really feeds into the base humanism of Spidey's existence.

And on the school bit, that whole sequence contains the only real moment of action that I thought worked a hundred percent: when Stan Lee's cameo happens, the fight in the background seems to hit on exactly how Spider-Man should move, with balletic movements, contrasted against The Lizard just pushing and tearing through everything, half a step behind him. That, and the Lizard throwing the table and Spidey catching it right before it hits Stan is pretty funny stuff. Maybe I liked it because it played out as one long bit with a sense of blocking and choreography, rather than several pieces tossed together with erratic editing like in the subway fight.
I quite liked all the action scenes; I felt like they did a great job of making the lizard intimidating, and didn't try to make them exciting by being ridiculous or over-the-top. But I agree with you that one worked the best.

I really liked this movie. Kind of like First Class, I can forgive all the goofy superhero stuff because it spends a lot of time making the characters work, while other superhero movies make the mistake of being too plot-driven with caricature-ish characters instead of ones that feel real. This movie has all the same problems as other superhero movies, and some missteps (Uncle Ben's death is clunky and convoluted, they rushed through it (probably out of fear of being a retread) and made it too complicated instead of relatable) but it has a lot of strengths that other ones don't have.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I went in completely expecting this movie to be terrible, but I actually liked it a lot.

I liked that it was more dramatic, but didn't get to Nolan levels of seriousness. It really kind of felt like an issue of the comic to me. I thought Garfield's Parker was a lot better than Maguire's, who always came off acting kind of autistic to me or something. I like that Garfield was both more awkward and more cocky. And the action scenes were handled much better in this.

I wasn't too thrilled about them doing the Lizard, but I think they pulled it off about as well as they could have. It's not really a character that lends itself too well outside of comic books or video games. It's been a long time since I read the comics, but wasn't there always a pretty clear distinction between Connors as the Lizard and Connors as himself? I thought it was kind of odd how after Connors reverted back to being human after his first rampage, he was still blatantly evil/crazy. That doesn't really fit into the Jekyll/Hyde thing that the comics always did.

And I thought it was weird how they had Parker constantly taking off his mask.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Surfingelectrode posted:

I wasn't too thrilled about them doing the Lizard, but I think they pulled it off about as well as they could have. It's not really a character that lends itself too well outside of comic books or video games. It's been a long time since I read the comics, but wasn't there always a pretty clear distinction between Connors as the Lizard and Connors as himself? I thought it was kind of odd how after Connors reverted back to being human after his first rampage, he was still blatantly evil/crazy. That doesn't really fit into the Jekyll/Hyde thing that the comics always did.

Well yeah, but this isn't the comics. The serum he used is obviously a precursor to the Goblin serum, so the crazy talking to himself is foreshadowing of that. He's making it for Norman Osbourne, after all.

I loving loved this movie. I know it's like, 20 minutes after I got out of the theater, but this was exactly what I wanted it to be. Garfield was awesome, Emma Stone is perfect (both in the movie and just in general. Andrew Garfield is a lucky dude), Rhys Ifans was alright, Sally Field (who I still cannot think of without thinking of Sassy from Homeward Bound) was awesome, and Denis Leary honestly stole the show for me. The discovery of the powers was great, as well as him not really having a handle on them, even toward the end of the movie. The villain was probably the weak part of the film, but even then, still pretty good. I've always been a Spider-Man guy, so this kinda filled my need for a new, better Spider-Man.

I also think it provides a nice counterpoint to The Avengers. That's a movie where everyone is a trained soldier, ready to fight a giant loving war against an invading army, and was at it's heart a war movie, but this was a regular(ish) guy getting a powerful gift, and using it to save people. Only two casualties in the entire movie, both in altruistic acts.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Well yeah, but this isn't the comics. The serum he used is obviously a precursor to the Goblin serum, so the crazy talking to himself is foreshadowing of that. He's making it for Norman Osbourne, after all.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. I hadn't thought of that.

The post-credits scene pretty much points in that direction, too. I didn't stay for it, because I figured there wouldn't be one in this film, but it's already online.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really hope that the shadowy figure in that end credits scene is in fact Norman Osborn (or more specifically, Conners still being a bit nuts and hallucinating him, hence why he appeared and disappeared like he did). Mainly because I think having Fun Boy from The Crow playing the Green Goblin would be loving brilliant casting.

I also love that this film found a way to set up not only why Norman would turn himself into the Goblin, and be researching this stuff, but also left a lead in for why most of Spider-Man's villains are animal based. They could easily branch out with that serum and variations of it ending up on the black market or whatever and that's how you get all those animal guys. The game actually does something very similar to this, and it's quite clever, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Surfingelectrode posted:

And I thought it was weird how they had Parker constantly taking off his mask.

It did happen a few too many times but quite a few of them were nice, especially when he takes it off and gives it to the kid in the car but that also worked because of what Peter said about what the mask means, it made it more personal.

Actually, I think that's what made this interpretation a lot better than the Raimi films, everything was brought down to a personal level and everyone felt real, even Stan Lee. Hell that was probably the best Stan Lee cameo of all the Stan Lee cameos, not even a competition. Emma Stone as Gwen was an excellent casting choice, she pulls off spunky and intelligent very well and the character certainly called for that, the chemistry between Garfield and Stone is leaps and bounds above what Maguire and Dunst had. That may have to do with writing as well but hey, that says a lot for the writing in this movie from a character standpoint, the fact that Flash gets developed says a lot right there.

While the crane bit was clunky and kinda hammy I feel it benefited from the fact that the guy who set it up was the father of the child Spider-Man saved. Compare it with the scene on the bridge in Raimi's Spider-Man with all of the New Yorkers just throwing poo poo at the Goblin because he's the bad guy and Spidey's the good guy and see which is the better tasting ham

All-in-all I loved this movie, I was pretty meh on The Avengers and I know that DKR will be "great" but this movie? This movie I was wetting myself in anticipation since the first teaser poster came out 18 or so months ago and I got everything I wanted and more :allears: I am going to see this movie as many goddamn times as I can before it leaves the big screen.

• Locked thread