Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone have an old 2gb stick from their N40L they're looking to sell? I just picked up one up on Craigslist for cheap and am looking to upgrade the ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You're talking about that ECC UDIMM right? I'm taking my 2GB and 1GB (Newegg gave me one) UDIMMs and replacing them with standard DDR3 spares. 2GB was what was on my N36L

FISHMANPET posted:

So, if I boot into single user mode or something (Solaris Express) will ZFS resliver the first vdev even though the second vdev would be missing completely?
Not sure if I could even guess at this behavior without knowing the layout of the vdevs (are they in the same zpool? RAIDZ1,Z2,Z3?). Attempting a resilver and discovering an error on an existing device in a vdev when the vdev is already degraded would take the vdev offline I believe, so that's a risk. Resilvering is certainly possible for RAIDZ2 with the loss of two drives though with the risk of failure during resilver being approximately the same as a RAIDZ1 that's lost one device. Multiple parity levels means there's more than one state of degradation possible, and because ZFS won't wait around until both levels of parity are gone to begin resilvering, replacing one offline device should cause ZFS to start resilvering. What I'm not sure about is what ZFS will do if you have a RAIDZ2 with 2 faults, replace one, then during that resilver replace another (not sure if it'll start the resilver over or just wait for it to finish, for example).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

You're talking about that ECC UDIMM right? I'm taking my 2GB and 1GB (Newegg gave me one) UDIMMs and replacing them with standard DDR3 spares. 2GB was what was on my N36L

Yeah, I was going to pick up a 2gb stick or 4gb kit but figured someone probably has already upgraded and I might as well pick up another ECC chip.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Krakkles posted:

Is there any good reason to do this over a DNS-343? I'm just looking at both and the 343 is cheaper and less work.

What type of drives should I use? Newegg reviews are scary.

I've had both the DNS-321 and DNS-323, and they certainly work, but performance is poo poo, even over the GB connections. 10MB/sec on great days (gigabit network). In comparison, my N40L running WHS2011 gets about 80MB/sec, with drives I pulled out of my DNS-323.

Consider that I bought my N40L for around $200, and WHS2011 keeps going on sale for $30 (if you don't want to do freenas, etc). The Dlink boxes are certainly functional, and easy to set up, but LAN performance is lousy.

As for what drives to use, get what's cheap. Green drives are fine for this type of use.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

FCKGW posted:

Does anyone have an old 2gb stick from their N40L they're looking to sell? I just picked up one up on Craigslist for cheap and am looking to upgrade the ram.

I'll sell you the RAM, I'm in the UK though. It's fresh in the machine as I haven't used my N40L yet. PM me if $20 plus free p+p sounds ok or maybe we can haggle or w/e.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 27, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

necrobobsledder posted:

Not sure if I could even guess at this behavior without knowing the layout of the vdevs (are they in the same zpool? RAIDZ1,Z2,Z3?). Attempting a resilver and discovering an error on an existing device in a vdev when the vdev is already degraded would take the vdev offline I believe, so that's a risk. Resilvering is certainly possible for RAIDZ2 with the loss of two drives though with the risk of failure during resilver being approximately the same as a RAIDZ1 that's lost one device. Multiple parity levels means there's more than one state of degradation possible, and because ZFS won't wait around until both levels of parity are gone to begin resilvering, replacing one offline device should cause ZFS to start resilvering. What I'm not sure about is what ZFS will do if you have a RAIDZ2 with 2 faults, replace one, then during that resilver replace another (not sure if it'll start the resilver over or just wait for it to finish, for example).
As I think about this I don't need to take any vdevs offline to make it work, but now I'm just curious if this would work.

So this is my layout (approximate, since I can't copy paste from a turned off server)
code:
storage
	raidz
		disk1
		disk2
		disk3
		disk4
		disk5
	raidz
		disk6
		disk7
		disk8
		disk9
		disk10
So I've got two RAIDZ vdevs. The second is fine, but the first is all sorts of messed up. Already one disk is gone and replaced with my hotspare, but two more are bad according to Seatools. Now if I pulled this disks out I've got data loss, but ZFS last time thought one of the disks was still OK. So what I want to do is put in two disks and have them replace the two failing disks in that vdev. The (theoretical) problem is that if I didn't have enough SATA ports to have my 10 disks plus two more plugged in at once, what would I do.

What I'm wondering is if I pulled all the disks from the second vdev, disk6-disk10, would ZFS still be able to resliver the disks from the first raidz (let's say it's disk2 and disk3 that are bad). So I would remove disks6-disk10, and that vdev would be completely gone, then stick in two new disks (disk11 and disk12) and do 'zpool storage replace disk2 disk11' and 'zpool storage replace disk3 disk12'. Maybe only doing one disk at a time would be better, not sure.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Civil posted:

I've had both the DNS-321 and DNS-323, and they certainly work, but performance is poo poo, even over the GB connections. 10MB/sec on great days (gigabit network). In comparison, my N40L running WHS2011 gets about 80MB/sec, with drives I pulled out of my DNS-323.

Consider that I bought my N40L for around $200, and WHS2011 keeps going on sale for $30 (if you don't want to do freenas, etc). The Dlink boxes are certainly functional, and easy to set up, but LAN performance is lousy.

As for what drives to use, get what's cheap. Green drives are fine for this type of use.
Ok, sounds like good points. Where on earth did you find one for $200? I'm looking and finding nothing less than ~$350. Well, Ebay has it for $255.xx +$129 shipping

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Alright, what the hell. Smartd is completely disagreeing with zpool status. I want to replace a failed disk with a new disk I stuck in, but I have no idea what disk is what. According to SMART, c7t2d0 is the new (2tb) drive I just put in to replace a failed 1.5 TB drive, but according to zpool status, c7t2d0 is in my vdev full of 750 GB devices, and c7t4d0 is the only unused drive, but SMART says that's one of the 750GB drives.

So, what the hell?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
They periodically go on sale on Amazon or NewEgg for decent prices, and if you poke around eBay patiently you'll see new ones going for <$250 with free/cheap shipping. Just gotta catch the deals.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Krakkles posted:

Ok, sounds like good points. Where on earth did you find one for $200? I'm looking and finding nothing less than ~$350. Well, Ebay has it for $255.xx +$129 shipping

Checked receipt, it was $180 @ PC Connection Express. But yeah, I've also seen Newegg carry it for around $200. If you're not in a hurry, RSS some deal sites and you'll save some scratch.

I assume you've given up on the D-link appliance. Good move.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Set up a camelx3 alert, they go on sale a lot. I got mine from Newegg for $200.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I want to get a NAS with at least 4 bays - NCIX has the Thecus N4100EVO on for a good price, but I'm "worried" (really I have no idea) about the 600mhz processor. Does that mean it's going to be dog-slow compared to say a Synology DS212J with a 1.6ghz processor? I want to be able to stream media (up to 1080 stuff if possible) off this so some small amount of throughput is required - i.e. the 10mb/s from the DLink poo poo mentioned above would be unacceptable, even for just backup purposes.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
I'd go with Synology just for the 3rd party app support. I know it's alittle more expensive, but the DSM interface really makes it worth it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It may be a little slow for streaming very large files. Its overall performance is, quite frankly, pretty bad compared to other options: http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/2744/5/thecus-n4100evo-review-four-bays-for-a-good-price-performance---1-disk-intel-naspt. Also note that the DS212J is only a 2-bay NAS; you'll have to pay substantially more to get a 4-bay Synology. Your best bet for a 4-bay NAS that performs well but doesn't break the bank may be waiting for an eBay deal on a N40L.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I seem to have encountered a weird issue on my new NAS (N40L running FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p3-x64 , 8GB RAM)

I have 4x2TB disks in a raid-z configuration, it seems that after moving from a Fast Ethernet switch to a gigE switch, file transfers stop/stall after about 30 seconds or so. The GUI and SSH seems to stay responsive. I can't seem to find any errors, any ideas? Can the N40L not handle gigE speeds? I get about 80MB/s until it stops.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't the nic driver infamous for doing this?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I'd heard something to that effect, I've been running an Intel NIC since day one.

In other news, I just lost a drive after only 3 weeks of operation (Well, NAS operation anyway. Its the sole repurposed drive). Not sure if it was because it's in the 5.25" bay (heat?), because I packed it in my luggage on a flight from Vancouver to Sydney, the fact that I kernel panicked my machine loving around with the plugin jail, or just dumb luck. Running degraded until morning. :/

Still, ZFS to the rescue. Again.

edit: Well it wasn't the temperature. Replacement drive in the same bay running at 31'C.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 30, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've posted about that very issue at least 5 separate times in this thread, I think. Yes, the bge driver on FreeBSD for this particular NIC has a bug. Just buy a cheap low-profile single-/dual-port pci-express x1-x4 NIC that's listed on the FreeBSD em NIC driver manpage - All of those are Intel NICs that are fully supported with the em NIC driver, so it's just a question of finding one that fits the above-listed specs. Alternatively, HP has a parts number 503746-B21 NIC that's sold as an accessory to both the N36L and N40L.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 29, 2012

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

I've posted about that very issue at least 5 separate times in this thread, I think. Yes, the bge driver on FreeBSD for this particular NIC has a bug. Just buy a cheap low-profile single-/dual-port pci-express x1-x4 NIC that's listed on the FreeBSD em NIC driver manpage - All of those are Intel NICs that are fully supported with the em NIC driver, so it's just a question of finding one that fits the above-listed specs. Alternatively, HP has a parts number 503746-B21 NIC that's sold as an accessory to both the N36L and N40L.

Thanks a lot, I picked up the EXPI9301CT from newegg based on your information.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

DrDork posted:

It may be a little slow for streaming very large files. Its overall performance is, quite frankly, pretty bad compared to other options: http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/2744/5/thecus-n4100evo-review-four-bays-for-a-good-price-performance---1-disk-intel-naspt. Also note that the DS212J is only a 2-bay NAS; you'll have to pay substantially more to get a 4-bay Synology. Your best bet for a 4-bay NAS that performs well but doesn't break the bank may be waiting for an eBay deal on a N40L.

Thanks for the advice, I'll spend the extra on a DS411 or DS411J. N40L's are hard to find cheaply in Canada, and I'd rather a more turn-key solution.

mik fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 29, 2012

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Is there anything like the N40L with an e3-1200v2 yet?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Iomega has one but it's a rackmount and costing $7500 it's not really for home budgets: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/05/iomegas-new-xeon-packing-nas-does-more-than-store-data/

However, there's something a lot cheaper but still a bit extravagant by Acer: http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12933/

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Holy poo poo Iomega is still around? Pretty sure I still have my zip drive somewhere around here...

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am finishing up a FreeNAS box and now I need to decide if I am going to use NFS or SMB to share my files. The problem is the first google result I found says that he measured NFS speeds at 70MB/s compared to SMB speeds of 20MB/s on his network.

I have a few PCs that will connect to my file server- my primary PC runs Win 7 Ultimate, my other PCs are a Linux desktop, Macbook, Win 7 Premium laptop, and a Netbook (Win 7 starter lol). Pretty sure the laptop and netbook are the only two that will require help to connect to the file server.

Will my life be more difficult if I go with NFS? If I need 3rd party software connect my netbook to my files, what should I use?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Colonel Sanders posted:

I am finishing up a FreeNAS box and now I need to decide if I am going to use NFS or SMB to share my files. The problem is the first google result I found says that he measured NFS speeds at 70MB/s compared to SMB speeds of 20MB/s on his network.

I have a few PCs that will connect to my file server- my primary PC runs Win 7 Ultimate, my other PCs are a Linux desktop, Macbook, Win 7 Premium laptop, and a Netbook (Win 7 starter lol). Pretty sure the laptop and netbook are the only two that will require help to connect to the file server.

Will my life be more difficult if I go with NFS? If I need 3rd party software connect my netbook to my files, what should I use?

Only Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise natively support NFS so your netbook and laptop will need 3rd party software. You could however, just enable all 3 protocols considering you have all 3 operating systems.

edit: also, if he's getting 20MB/s over SMB then something is wrong. I have two nics link aggregated and if I open up two streams I see around 150-155ish MB/s

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I did not know that I could share the same folder with multiple protocols. Regardless, I cant justify setting up AFP for my Macbook because I rarely ever use the Macbook, and I'm sure it will connect to either SMB or NFS just fine.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

I did not know that I could share the same folder with multiple protocols. Regardless, I cant justify setting up AFP for my Macbook because I rarely ever use the Macbook, and I'm sure it will connect to either SMB or NFS just fine.
Everything supports SMB, for all its many flaws.
If I had a mac only network I'd do AFP and if it was n*x only I'd do NFS - but if it's a mixed enviroment, SMB is the way to go.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What would be the disadvantages of using an old Athlon x2 250 system as a double duty HTPC/NAS? I would most likely just throw windows 7 on there, network share the folders and run Playstation media server. My board does allow Raid but I probably wouldn't use it at first. My primary goal is just media sharing but I figure doing manual file backups would be easy as well.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hello NAS goons!

I finally got a Raspberry Pi on order - is there a commonly accepted way to set one up with a hard drive connected to its USB port as a simple file server? I want to play with the Pi but don't want the size or electricity footprint of an old PC set up with FreeNAS or an equivalent.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Install samba, profit?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks, I'll look into that!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Thanks, I'll look into that!
Actually the thing will be kinda crappy for NAS: ethernet is not GB, and driven from USB 2.0

So poo poo'll be slow 8/

If I were to build one from an embedded board I don't think it'd fit in a $35 budget (probably something like a ULP i3).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 1, 2012

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
I'm going to be doing a series of reviews on a large number of roll-your-own NAS operating systems. I got some of the methodology written, which you can find here (Google Docs). This is fairly basic at the moment and I'm open to input.

I'm trying to think of more operating systems to test, tests to run, or different scenarios to test with.

thideras fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 1, 2012

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

thideras posted:

I'm going to be doing a series of reviews on a large number of roll-your-own NAS operating systems. I got some of the methodology written, which you can find here (Google Docs). This is fairly basic at the moment and I'm open to input.

I'm trying to think of more operating systems to test, tests to run, or different scenarios to test with.

might be worth noting that Nas4Free has supplanted FreeNAS and is based on FreeBSD 9.0 instead of FreeBSD 7.3.

I don't think there will be any future development on FreeNAS, they've even canned their forums and such.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Telex posted:

might be worth noting that Nas4Free has supplanted FreeNAS and is based on FreeBSD 9.0 instead of FreeBSD 7.3.

I don't think there will be any future development on FreeNAS, they've even canned their forums and such.
Thank you for the information, I did not know this. I'll do a bit of research and decide what to test.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
What? FreeNAS 8.0.4-RELEASE-p3 and 8.2.0-BETA4 both came out 3 weeks ago and the forums are plenty active? The upgrade from FreeBSD 8.2 to 9.x with ZFSv28 is happening in in FreeNAS 8.3 once 8.2 leaves beta.

(That's not to say NAS4Free isn't making huge strides...)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 2, 2012

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Telex posted:

Where are you getting this information? Because the forums are still there, people are still posting on them (http://forums.freenas.org/search.php?do=getdaily&contenttype=vBForum_Post) and http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/develop shows that commits are still being made. If there's been an announcement, I'd really like to see it.

Edit: I'm not trying to jump on you, I just really want to know if there's official word that dev has stopped on freenas. Because if so I'll need to research how to switch.

g0del fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 2, 2012

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Would someone mind taking a look at this build for a 12TB (with raidz2) FreeNAS setup? Thanks in advance!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20731586

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

frumpsnake posted:

What? FreeNAS 8.0.4-RELEASE-p3 and 8.2.0-BETA4 both came out 3 weeks ago and the forums are plenty active? The upgrade from FreeBSD 8.2 to 9.x with ZFSv28 is happening in in FreeNAS 8.3 once 8.2 leaves beta.

(That's not to say NAS4Free isn't making huge strides...)

Okay, sorry I'm being confusing.

7 is dead, the forums are going away Sept 1.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13154

The people who did 7 are doing Nas4Free, since having two versions of FreeNAS are quite obviously confusing as all hell.

8 is still going as FreeNAS, but honestly I thought the shift to embedded only was a pretty lovely move and I changed back to 7 after it looked to be a huge honking pain in the rear end to get everything that was working just fine in 7 to work the same in 8. If 8 is your thing, cool. Now that's the only FreeNAS around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Nostrum posted:

Would someone mind taking a look at this build for a 12TB (with raidz2) FreeNAS setup? Thanks in advance!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20731586
Drop the SATA cables and check out Monoprice. Those are way overpriced.

Why get an addon NIC when the board comes with one?

I would shop around on the hard drives. If you don't mind buying used, you can get some pretty good deals. In the past two weeks, I purchased ten 750gb Seagate drives ($30/e) and eight 1.5tb Seagate drives ($47.5/e).