Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ReelBigLizard posted:

I met an old local petrolhead who, back in the day (70s-80s), made beer money by tuning up exotic sports cars for rich bankers and tax exiles. He confided that the bulk of his work was revving the tits off them and racing up and down a private road he had access to.
BMW class teacher said that this was a thing with a lot of modern BMW bikes. Some of them have fairly high performance engines but most BMW owners aren't wild and crazy people so they get ridden at 3k rpm every day. So a good tuneup includes WOT to redline a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
After reading around the R1150R forums, the wife told me, horrified "a lot of Rs don't get rode above 3k pretty much ever!"

I think she cruises hers around 4k.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
People do the same thing with their cars. Aside from true car nuts i never see people hit the top 1/3 of the rev range, and it only gets up cause of highway driving.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Babying a motor like that leads to carbon buildup in the valves or something like that, doesn't it?

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

orthod0ks posted:

My '04 Multistrada is having idling issues.

Another reason could be a clogged fuel filter or collapsing fuel lines, since you mentioned it happening more when the engine is warm.

Though, your Multi is injected so instead of collapsing, it may be just a kinked line. Either way, they are both easy to check. Follow your lines and make sure they are good when you lower your fuel tank and replace the fuel filter. Even if they are not the culprit, you have ruled them out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
When I first got my bike, the carbs were all out of whack, and I would shift around 3000 just to make sure the awful noise would be kept to a minimum.

These days I shift around 4 to 5 K, depending on the situation. Cranked er up to 7 yesterday getting on the freeway :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
We're looking at the instructions for changing out the stock exhaust for the y-pipe on the R.

quote:

How to remove the exhaust system on a bmw:
Step 1) Remove the fuel tank

How to change the air filter on a bmw:

How to change the tires on a bmw:

How to adjuREMOVE THE FUEL TANK

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
And what do you have to remove to remove the fuel tank?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The fuel tank.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
I like to remove the fuel tank for just about everything. That way when I get pissed off and want to hit something with a wrench, the shiney pretty fuel tank is safe on a shelf. Of course, on my dear old KZ it's one bolt and two hoses. On a BMW it's probably two hoses, six vacuum lines, a tank sender, and some plastic clips that will undoubtedly break.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Either way, you should be glad you don't have a crossover tube, as seen in this picture (not my bike), which is fed through a hole in the frame and and is also the lowest point of the tank so that you invariably have to dump gas on yourself when you disconnect it to take the tank off :downsgun:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Either way, you should be glad you don't have a crossover tube, as seen in this picture (not my bike), which is fed through a hole in the frame and and is also the lowest point of the tank so that you invariably have to dump gas on yourself when you disconnect it to take the tank off :downsgun:

They make two way shutoff disconnects for just that scenario.

http://hvccycle.com/fuel-systems.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Something about the obvious DIY on display here pleases me. For some reason, I thought of computer programming, and how the people who pass for coders today would probably hang themselves if they had to work with assembly language, live within 16K, and learn something about machines that are now complete abstractions.

I now realize this is derivative of Pirsig if not a complete ripoff, but still. I don't know how many Saturdays of my youth were spent as a shut-in with a pile of Heath-Zenith texts. So I guess this is envy talking, and not some rickety claim of intellectual superiority.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

Something about the obvious DIY on display here pleases me. For some reason, I thought of computer programming, and how the people who pass for coders today would probably hang themselves if they had to work with assembly language, live within 16K, and learn something about machines that are now complete abstractions.

I now realize this is derivative of Pirsig if not a complete ripoff, but still. I don't know how many Saturdays of my youth were spent as a shut-in with a pile of Heath-Zenith texts. So I guess this is envy talking, and not some rickety claim of intellectual superiority.
Off topic, but I'd like to point out that hobbying with microcontrollers is pretty popular among many of the people who pass for coders today. I'll get off your lawn now, sir.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

frunksock posted:

I'll get off your lawn now, sir.

Just remember it's three miles uphill. Both ways. :)

You know, I read about the Arduino a while back in some other context. Had I remembered this, the philosophical wax wouldn't have gotten so thick. Now to steal this idea and put it in a motorcycle jacket:

http://www.instructables.com/id/turn-signal-biking-jacket/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Arduino must cause more :bahgawd: from dorks on the internet than any other piece of hardware ever.

"I don't care that newbies are learning to program microcontrollers and building their own little interactive projects! As far as I'm concerned, if you didn't write it in assembly, it's poo poo! And that's only if you couldn't have done the same thing with a bunch of 7400s and wire-wrap!" :bahgawd:

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

Just remember it's three miles uphill. Both ways. :)

You know, I read about the Arduino a while back in some other context. Had I remembered this, the philosophical wax wouldn't have gotten so thick. Now to steal this idea and put it in a motorcycle jacket:

http://www.instructables.com/id/turn-signal-biking-jacket/
:) I'd look like even more of a tool when I mis-hit the cancel button

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Sagebrush posted:

"I don't care that newbies are learning to program microcontrollers and building their own little interactive projects! As far as I'm concerned, if you didn't write it in assembly, it's poo poo! And that's only if you couldn't have done the same thing with a bunch of 7400s and wire-wrap!" :bahgawd:

If I'd latched onto motorcycling at the time, the chances of me looking at a breadboard or a Trash80 for more than two seconds would have been exactly zero percent.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Gnaghi posted:

Babying a motor like that leads to carbon buildup in the valves or something like that, doesn't it?

Correct. Our V6 Grand Am never got more than 2k cruising around. Ever. Because of that, carbon buildup in the intake and throttle body got so bad it would gum up the idle speed motor and mess up other things. I'd have to clean the intake every so often.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got my first motorcycle ticket. 62 in a 30, that does not bode well. 6 point ticket and a mandatory court appearance, it's going to be expensive for sure. My record has been spotless for a long time, so I at least have that going for me. I'll probably be able to get a lesser charge on a plea deal, but the lovely thing here is that they won't budge on the fine, which is $10 per mph over. Lesson learned, it's time to enjoy my rides home rather than haul rear end and get there as fast as possible. Although, to be fair, my house is probably hours away from being evacuated from the wildfires. Not saying that excuses me, not one bit, but I did think they had better things to be doing today.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I know it still stings but dude... More than two times the limit? Thats why there are traffic cops.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

marauderthirty posted:

Just got my first motorcycle ticket. 62 in a 30, that does not bode well. 6 point ticket and a mandatory court appearance, it's going to be expensive for sure.

You should be damned happy you aren't in Ontario, where you would be looking at this for your violation (more than 50 km/h over the limit):

• Pre-conviction – Immediate 7-day licence suspension and 7-day vehicle impoundment

• Upon conviction - $2,000 to $10,000 fine, 6 demerit points, up to 6 months jail, up to 2 years licence suspension for a first conviction

• Second offence – Driver licence suspension up to 10 years within 10 years of first conviction

320 dollars and a court appearance is pocket change. Where do you live?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

nsaP posted:

I know it still stings but dude... More than two times the limit? Thats why there are traffic cops.

Not all "30's" are equal. I got clipped for 52 in a 30, but the road was a very wide and straight 4-lane deal, with no traffic. I literally only saw the first speed limit sign at the same time that I saw the cop that bagged me. But for the sign, the road seemed like a 40-50 MPH type.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

marauderthirty posted:

Just got my first motorcycle ticket. 62 in a 30, that does not bode well. 6 point ticket and a mandatory court appearance, it's going to be expensive for sure. My record has been spotless for a long time, so I at least have that going for me. I'll probably be able to get a lesser charge on a plea deal, but the lovely thing here is that they won't budge on the fine, which is $10 per mph over. Lesson learned, it's time to enjoy my rides home rather than haul rear end and get there as fast as possible. Although, to be fair, my house is probably hours away from being evacuated from the wildfires. Not saying that excuses me, not one bit, but I did think they had better things to be doing today.

I'd contest that, I beat a 30 over ticket a couple years ago on a procedural error.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sagebrush posted:

Where do you live?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492683

As I said, I'm not trying to make any excuses, I know that I was wrong and I'm going to evaluate my riding habits and make a correction. As for the road, it's 2 lane but wide enough for 4 and then some with no parking.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Lawyers are drat good at making those tickets disappear, but they cost roughly $300 anyways. The lack of insurance rape is what makes it worthwhile. Refer to your local squid forum, they'll know all the local lawyers worth hiring.

Tickets are lovely, but a lot of us have been there. A few tickets make it easy to justify track riding. It's why I've stopped riding a supersport on the street; either you're really bored or really illegal.

Lawyer story:

In rural Eastern WA I was having trouble finding a lawyer for a traffic ticket. I called a lawyer who apparently had never heard of traffic court. She asked me "What is your case, how do you intend to get out of this?" Turns out she was a divorce lawyer :argh:

I eventually found a guy who knew of a current loophole. The state police were too busy to provide for discovery of evidence, and would return your request with a letter saying so. Automatic win!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

marauderthirty posted:

In virginia that's a automatic reckless driving charge. Make sure you get a lawyer though, just to make sure everything's fair for you.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

It's so nice to see 99% of motorcyclists wearing full gear here in Europe as compared to America. Also the police bikes are cool as hell too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

You should be damned happy you aren't in Ontario, where you would be looking at this for your violation (more than 50 km/h over the limit):

Similarly, in Denmark, going precisely 100kph in a 50kph would net you:

• $1000 fine.
  • Conditional loss of license, meaning you have to take a new driving test.
  • License on probation for 6 months.

If you did 101kph in a 50kph (100% over, plus over 100kph), the fine is at least doubled, and you lose your license unconditionally for at least 6 months. If the police determines that you put other people in danger during your speeding, you could face jail time.

Not quite as harsh as Ontatio, but still a lot more than the slap on the wrist you're getting, marauderthirty.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
A lot of times I wonder what would really happen if you blow off the court appearance. I've seen guys in court who have missed one appearance after another get let off with really minor fines because they're just too poor to give handouts to the town and that's if they get caught. There was one guy who just killed someone street racing who had multiple warrants and lost his license like 20 times, how was he still driving around?

spootle
Nov 11, 2009
Just adding to how low a fine that is, 50k over in Victoria AU:

- 30 day impound for first offence
- loss of license for a few months at least
- mandatory safe driving course
- maximum $30000 fine

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The fees for speeding are relatively low in Sweden, but you can easily lose your license.

In your case you were going more than 40kph over on a 50kph road, which means you'd lose your license for at least a year and get served with a reckless driving charge which carries a penalty of up to 30 day fines and up to 2 years in prison. Prison time is rarely given for first time offenders though.

Suspending your license is at the discretion of our DMV equivalent, between 1 month and 3 years, although if you're charged with reckless driving it's a minimum of 1 year. If it's 1 year or longer you won't get it back automatically after the suspension either, you need to take new theory+driving tests.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gnaghi posted:

A lot of times I wonder what would really happen if you blow off the court appearance. I've seen guys in court who have missed one appearance after another get let off with really minor fines because they're just too poor to give handouts to the town and that's if they get caught. There was one guy who just killed someone street racing who had multiple warrants and lost his license like 20 times, how was he still driving around?

Don't blow off a court appearance, a suspension and a bench warrant would soon follow.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Flikken posted:

Don't blow off a court appearance, a suspension and a bench warrant would soon follow.

Nothing like some surprise jail the next time you're pulled over. I've heard many anecdotes of people having their licenses suspended for not paying relatively minor traffic fines (the court did a poor job of notifying them of the change), and they'll end up in cuffs next time they're stopped.

Definitely take the courts seriously!

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

spootle posted:

- maximum $30000 fine

Is this a typo? $30,000 fine, seriously? I know that kind of speed isn't safe, but that seems a little overzealous.

Gonna take the advice of the thread and get a lawyer. I don't think this thing would kill me, but I do drive for a living and it's probably a better idea to try and keep this thing off my record.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

marauderthirty posted:

Gonna take the advice of the thread and get a lawyer. I don't think this thing would kill me, but I do drive for a living and it's probably a better idea to try and keep this thing off my record.

That's probably best. You really don't want to get hosed over way down the line because of a little bad history.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

marauderthirty posted:

Is this a typo? $30,000 fine, seriously? I know that kind of speed isn't safe, but that seems a little overzealous.

Doesn't Finland have some percentage of your income as fines? Would be fun to see some 1%'er from the US be fined a million dollars for speeding.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
If you live in Washington and your record is pretty good you can defer the ticket, only gotta pay IIRC 120 bucks for admin costs and your insurance doesn't go up. However, if you get another ticket within a year you pay the full ticket amount plus what your new ticket is. My year passed 4 months ago and it was like a giant weight was lifted off my shoulders, but I sure as hell didn't want to pay almost $800 plus a huge hike in insurance when I was under 25.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

marauderthirty posted:

In Australia you can have your car impounded and crushed (yes, crushed) if your wheels are bigger than stock or you have a K&N air filter. Also the speed limit there is the Speed Limit, so if it's marked 50, you are expected to be driving 45 or so and 51 is good enough to slap you with a fine. I'm not surprised that they charge you that much money.

Gnaghi posted:

I've seen guys in court who have missed one appearance after another get let off with really minor fines because they're just too poor to give handouts to the town and that's if they get caught. There was one guy who just killed someone street racing who had multiple warrants and lost his license like 20 times, how was he still driving around?

Well, the guy is driving illegally obviously. They likely don't give him jail time because the jails are already hugely crowded and spending $120,000 a year or whatever it is on a guy whose biggest offense is driving his car too fast is kind of a waste. So they just keep giving him more fines and suspending his license for even longer, so he becomes a source of funds (assuming he ever pays) rather than a cost to the state.

The guy who killed someone street racing, though -- I don't know the details but in a lot of places that would be at least manslaughter and maybe second-degree murder. He should be getting something harder than just fines and license suspension. Long-term probation and reparations/community service at the very least.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Mcqueen posted:

If you live in Washington and your record is pretty good you can defer the ticket, only gotta pay IIRC 120 bucks for admin costs and your insurance doesn't go up. However, if you get another ticket within a year you pay the full ticket amount plus what your new ticket is. My year passed 4 months ago and it was like a giant weight was lifted off my shoulders, but I sure as hell didn't want to pay almost $800 plus a huge hike in insurance when I was under 25.

I don't remember paying an admin costs for my deferral, but you do have to pay full face value of the ticket. So worth it. My year also recently passed... :allears: