Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Mostly my fault, I saw her put on the belt but didn't notice that the shoulder part wasn't on.

Here's a better passenger who was faster than me, if you watch his eyes you can probably figure out why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je0MORHjXjk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I did a thing this weekend. Was good enough for a class win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opscFLbxirY&hd=1

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Muffinpox posted:

Here's a better passenger who was faster than me, if you watch his eyes you can probably figure out why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je0MORHjXjk
He's looking two cones (at least) ahead.

All weekend I got "Look up! Look ahead! Where are you looking?!? Find the slalom! Find the Chicago box! Where's the end of this corner?!?" hammered into me.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
Does anyone have any in-car camera mounting suggestions? I have a Flip camera, and an iphone. I was thinking of something like this for the Flip camera:

http://www.amazon.com/PEDCO-P-UCA-P...d=11FBPQ2YMYFDQ

Thanks!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I mount my phone on the windshield right behind the rearview mirror, videos turn out pretty drat good.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

CatBus posted:

Does anyone have any in-car camera mounting suggestions? I have a Flip camera, and an iphone. I was thinking of something like this for the Flip camera:

http://www.amazon.com/PEDCO-P-UCA-P...d=11FBPQ2YMYFDQ

Thanks!

Suction mounts with iPhone holders work pretty well, all my Z06 video is just a suction mount hanging off the front or rear glass. The biggest problem is wind noise. My S2000 video is the phone velcro'ed to the wind deflector.

ExecuDork posted:

He's looking two cones (at least) ahead.

All weekend I got "Look up! Look ahead! Where are you looking?!? Find the slalom! Find the Chicago box! Where's the end of this corner?!?" hammered into me.

It's a hard habit to break.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 28, 2012

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
Thanks! I will look into the suction cup mounts. Is there any good free video software (like whatever made the three screen video)?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Muffinpox posted:

It's a hard habit to break.

You'll know when it's broken, because things mysteriously get faster. I also feel that it's made me a safer driver in general.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

CatBus posted:

Thanks! I will look into the suction cup mounts. Is there any good free video software (like whatever made the three screen video)?

I use Avisynth scripts with VirtualDub to overlay videos and do editing, then use ffmpeg to compress the videos. It's cumbersome at first, but once you get some good scripts it's easy to adapt them to all your sessions.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
If you want something easy to use the free version of RaceRender is pretty decent and the time limit isn't an issue for autocross runs.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Trip report: Kept eyes up, was fast enough for 2nd or 3rd in group and 10th overall in street tire (first group was completely dry, our group was damp). Had people start asking to ride with/have me ride with them for pointers, one even asked me to drive his car :3:

Also fistpumping is the way to victory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaXElIRmDc4

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Was nice to see another goon out at the local car control school I was doing some instruction at.

Hope you had fun dude!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Had a great day yesterday. Had two relatively good first runs, pushed it a bit much out of the slalom on the 3rd and managed a full 360 spin on course. The afternoon got a lot quicker and we managed 5 runs. Made consistently better times on 3 of the runs, with the other two having obvious why the hell did you do that? moments.

I'm managed to move up from the bottom 1-2 people in the class up to the top 2/3rds, and 3 tenths separated the next 4 drivers. It's nice not to feel like the slowest one out there.

I also got one of the guys who's been around a while ride along for some tips, and that was really helpful. I need to keep working on looking farther ahead, and braking a bit earlier on the slower corners so I can get back on the throttle earlier. Apparently, my slalom is very good though :3:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TrueChaos posted:

I'm managed to move up from the bottom 1-2 people in the class up to the top 2/3rds, and 3 tenths separated the next 4 drivers. It's nice not to feel like the slowest one out there.

This describes exactly my experience after taking a school as well. I went from "will I be slowest raw time overall today?" to "Will I be less than 5 seconds behind that Porsche today?" (having consistently been 12+ seconds behind that Porsche, before the school).

We had an event Tuesday evening, and today, and after both people told me I was "looking much smoother" and "should be given the 'most improved' award". :)

I figure I've moved from the bottom to, yeah, around the 1/3 mark relative to the top drivers, based on PAX-times. Tuesday I was 8th out of about 23, today I don't know yet but probably about 11 or 12 out of 33. Which I am happy with.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I found video of my passengers first run at an autox ever after I had switched the S2000 to Direzzas :getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7erNqMOqgM

First time I think I've ever seen someone be impressed with the acceleration of my car though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW8mmpQkYbg

TrueChaos posted:

I need to keep working on looking farther ahead, and braking a bit earlier on the slower corners so I can get back on the throttle earlier. Apparently, my slalom is very good though :3:

If you keep forgetting it, you can also put a piece of tape across the windshield to remind you to not look below that section.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 9, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

If you keep forgetting it, you can also put a piece of tape across the windshield to remind you to not look below that section.

This is an excellent idea, definitely going to do that next event. How do I gauge how far up to put the tape? The other thing I found really helpful was focusing on it during ride alongs - it's easier to think about when I'm not doing anything else, and helped me realize just how much I can improve in that regard.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

TrueChaos posted:

This is an excellent idea, definitely going to do that next event. How do I gauge how far up to put the tape? The other thing I found really helpful was focusing on it during ride alongs - it's easier to think about when I'm not doing anything else, and helped me realize just how much I can improve in that regard.

I try to consciously look ahead during my runs, even if it might be affecting my times. Definitely noticing a change after a few events - I found myself anticipating sections of the course where I needed to prepare for a gate or two ahead. First few times out I was braking superlate for everything. Still weak on hairpins and slaloms where the cones start getting closer together near the end.

I'll have to try that tape trick though.

Also found a guy on facebook who's been taking pictures at our regionals:

Starting to wonder if I could get the sideskirt on my e36 to touch down.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

You basically want the tape so it's in or above your vision if you aren't looking at least 2 or more cones ahead. You don't need to be really exact or block out the bottom half of the windshield though as it's just there as a constant visual reminder to keep looking far ahead, otherwise it's easy to lose focus and not catch yourself fixating on the close cones.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ah, okay. That makes sense, definitely giving it a try this sunday.

In other news, anyone coming to Canadian Nationals? (http://www.nationalautoslalom.ca./index.html) I think I'm going to go, which means I need to figure out my SCCA class, as that's what they're using there. I believe I'd be in STR - '99 Miata w/ torsen, star specs, sparco bucket for the drivers seat, and an alignment outside of factory.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

For anyone considering the tape across the windshield, do it. Made a big difference - still caught myself looking down too much, but I could really tell when I was getting it - everything felt easier. Another awesome day.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Home grown content!

A playlist of runs I recorded at the last event: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL07441350B4E7C128

My personal FTD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrtVKMzlYKY

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Since there's no honda specific thread, I figured I'd ask here (and get the answers I care about): How do people like their S2000s? I'm having a seriously hard time finding a decent e36 m3 to use as a slalom/track car. There are a few S2000s for sale locally and from what I've seen they make great stock slalom cars. I will always have a 4 seater commuter car, so backseats and cargo don't matter to me, aside from being able to take a few tools and clothes to weekend events.

I assume it's impossible to take a full set of wheels without a trailer.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 6, 2012

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Biggest downside for a S2k for a track car is that it's fairly intrusive to put a proper 4 point roll bar in them. For an autocross car though they seem pretty fun, in the last year or so they have pretty much taken over in our club.

Here was my best run during this weekend's event. I might throw up my first run as well. This was a new site and the sealed asphalt had considerably less grip than I expected. Made for some fun times on my first tun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNmJMVql6j4&hd=1

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Crustashio posted:

Since there's no honda specific thread, I figured I'd ask here (and get the answers I care about): How do people like their S2000s? I'm having a seriously hard time finding a decent e36 m3 to use as a slalom/track car. There are a few S2000s for sale locally and from what I've seen they make great stock slalom cars.
Make sure you understand the rules governing convertibles.

quote:

Whiskas got one of those hitch T-bars that holds the wheels.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Since there's no honda specific thread, I figured I'd ask here (and get the answers I care about): How do people like their S2000s? I'm having a seriously hard time finding a decent e36 m3 to use as a slalom/track car. There are a few S2000s for sale locally and from what I've seen they make great stock slalom cars. I will always have a 4 seater commuter car, so backseats and cargo don't matter to me, aside from being able to take a few tools and clothes to weekend events.

As fatcow said if you're planning on tracking it, most clubs require a 4 point bar and 5 point harness for passenger and driver which kinda sucks to do to a street car. Otherwise they're awesome autocross cars. Mine has 112.5k on it and I use it for a DD as well without issues. I wouldn't suggest launching them, but they're very capable and will punish you severely for any bad driving habits.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

We have a couple folks running S2K's. They are pretty good cars, but they tend to be somewhat course dependent due to gearing and the need to keep the rev's really high to keep in a decent power band.

That said, keep searching for an E36. E36's are awesome. :)

Notice the horrible, horrible noise made by the little 4-banger at the beginning of this video, then notice the beautiful smooth noise made by my car.

Please ignore my terrible driving.

https://vimeo.com/22528655

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Completely spaced on the fact that roadsters need a roll cage for track use. I don't really want to go down that road so I'll go back to looking for an M3. So loving hard to find one in eastern Canada that isn't junk.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

S2k's are great autocross cars. There's one at my club thats supercharged and pushing about 350hp, on r-comps, with a bunch more work done, he's really quick. He also has a hard dog rollbar in it, which apparently went in pretty easily.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I went to an autocross school this past weekend (my first autocross event) and had a blast, and now I'm looking to get into it a bit more. The first thing I need to do is get a helmet, as I was borrowing someone else's helmet. I have a few motorcycle helmets but they both use the ECE 22.5 standard, whereas everything automotive requires SNELL. I'm leaning towards getting a specific SA2010 helmet as I believe that a M2010 helmet would only be allowed for autocross, not track days. I don't want to have to spend more money later when I could just get a dedicated car helmet now, but I have a few questions:

Where's the best place to buy an SA2010 helmet? None of the motorcycle sites I know sell them. Is there a reason to go full face over 3/4? I know the full face would be safer and the 3/4 would be a bit breezier.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/autosnellsa2010/bell-sport Is this what I should expect to pay for a reasonable full face SA2010 helmet, or are there some cheaper brands that are still acceptable?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

bladesamurai posted:

I went to an autocross school this past weekend (my first autocross event) and had a blast, and now I'm looking to get into it a bit more. The first thing I need to do is get a helmet, as I was borrowing someone else's helmet. I have a few motorcycle helmets but they both use the ECE 22.5 standard, whereas everything automotive requires SNELL. I'm leaning towards getting a specific SA2010 helmet as I believe that a M2010 helmet would only be allowed for autocross, not track days. I don't want to have to spend more money later when I could just get a dedicated car helmet now, but I have a few questions:

Where's the best place to buy an SA2010 helmet? None of the motorcycle sites I know sell them. Is there a reason to go full face over 3/4? I know the full face would be safer and the 3/4 would be a bit breezier.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/autosnellsa2010/bell-sport Is this what I should expect to pay for a reasonable full face SA2010 helmet, or are there some cheaper brands that are still acceptable?

Around here Snell M is fine for trackdays as long as it isn't a roofless or caged car. Check with whoever you want to run trackdays with.

Full-face always seemed pointless in a car to me, but I ended up with one anyway because of a complete lack of M rated openface locally.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
HJC CL-16s seem to be the go-to slalom helmet around here.

I have one. Like it quite a bit. Stupid cheap too.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I got my SA2010 (HJC AR-10 2) from soloracer.com

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Brigdh posted:

I got my SA2010 (HJC AR-10 2) from soloracer.com

Been looking at the same one. You like it?

Also I'm going to my first autocross in September (if available), god I hope I don't gently caress up.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

the poi posted:

Been looking at the same one. You like it?

Also I'm going to my first autocross in September (if available), god I hope I don't gently caress up.

Mostly, just a minor nitpick. I think I have a slightly odd shaped head because if it isn't sitting just right the "chin" part of the helmet is right next to my chin and can interfere with talking. Unfortunately for me, its one of the best fitting helmets I've tried, so I deal with it. I just have to shuffle it a bit until it fits right.

I wouldn't worry about loving up much. Worst thing I've ever seen happen was the owner of an Audi S4 accidentally shifted into reverse instead of first at the start, and ended up launching in the wrong direction. He caught the mistake in time and just rubbed bumpers, but the chief of safety still had to write an incident report.

Don't expect to win anything, but do expect to have tons of fun.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
I managed to shake a few wires loose during the Tucson/Marana June autocross and kept getting intermittent shut-downs during day to day driving. Luckily I managed to get that squared away by loosening and re-tightening every...single...observable wire in the engine bay. Looking forward to seeing how things go/dying from super-heatstroke in a few weeks. At least after August Arizona races become more tolerable heat-wise. The Locator, one day we'll have to have a mini goon-meet in Tucson/Phoenix!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Podothehobbit posted:

I managed to shake a few wires loose during the Tucson/Marana June autocross and kept getting intermittent shut-downs during day to day driving. Luckily I managed to get that squared away by loosening and re-tightening every...single...observable wire in the engine bay. Looking forward to seeing how things go/dying from super-heatstroke in a few weeks. At least after August Arizona races become more tolerable heat-wise. The Locator, one day we'll have to have a mini goon-meet in Tucson/Phoenix!

Someday hopefully I'll make it down to Marana again!

We are having a joint Tucson/Phoenix two day event at Marana in October (Phoenix crew will run things Saturday, Tucson crew on Sunday), should be a great weekend.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Someday hopefully I'll make it down to Marana again!

We are having a joint Tucson/Phoenix two day event at Marana in October (Phoenix crew will run things Saturday, Tucson crew on Sunday), should be a great weekend.

That sounds like a blast! Guess it's time to check the azsolo board and set aside the weekend then!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You Canadian guys started calling it slalom -- is that a regional term?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I get confused by the current naming weirdness.

The Regional event we're hosting on the September long weekend has been named "Super Slalom in Saskatoon" for years. The Regina club (QCMA) calls their on-pavement cone-dodging "Solo II", and I heard that Solo I involves roll cages and perhaps some other things. They call autocross on dirt (one of their members had a spare field on his farm) "Rally-X", even though it's not the many-cars-at-once slugfest of "European Rally Cross". And winter events are "Ice Dice".

I usually just call it "autocross", and people seem to know what I'm talking about. But I'm not sure about the official terminology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think Solo I, Solo II, and Rallycross are the branding terms SCCA put on the events that you've described. Solo I being on a track instead of a parking lot.

• Locked thread