Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

What's your region? LA/SoCal is awesome people and would let you roll with whatever as long as it is not at a con or too out there. Something like an extra mouth is stupid and no one should ever care. Maybe that's just our region. I do try to stay away from the PFS boards though. Those assholes are crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I live like a mile from Paizo HQ. There's a 90% chance the guy writing the campaign who said no to me is going to walk into me at my FLGS playing that character anyways because I literally don't give a poo poo if PFS is Living Greyhawk with the spergin' turned up to 11.

The whole question was "Can a Dark Tapestry Oracle have faint vestigial warping indicating prolonged contact with an out plane in any way as long as it doesn't give any mechanical effects."

The campaign volunteers sperged out that it could theoretically effect how the game world interacts with my character and therefore won't be allowed. I pointed out that A: If I played a ranger who made a dress out of the scalps of evil halflings that he'd killed it would be a flavor thing that likely interacted with the game world and B: I could just put a billion ranks in disguise self and force the GM to interact with my character anyways.

But you see, in the first case bluh we're ignoring it and in the second case ~*fartz*~

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Fudge Handsome posted:

It sounds like they'd throw a shitfit and flip tables if they knew about my small binder of house rules.

Here's an excerpt: Feats that apply to single weapons (like Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and Improved Critical) apply instead to entire weapon groups (like in the fighter's Weapon Training class feature).

I've been using this houserule for quite a while and it's one of my favorites. Just a nice slight alleviation of melee classes' lack of versatility that has no downside to speak of.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I live like a mile from Paizo HQ. There's a 90% chance the guy writing the campaign who said no to me is going to walk into me at my FLGS playing that character anyways because I literally don't give a poo poo if PFS is Living Greyhawk with the spergin' turned up to 11.

The whole question was "Can a Dark Tapestry Oracle have faint vestigial warping indicating prolonged contact with an out plane in any way as long as it doesn't give any mechanical effects."

The campaign volunteers sperged out that it could theoretically effect how the game world interacts with my character and therefore won't be allowed. I pointed out that A: If I played a ranger who made a dress out of the scalps of evil halflings that he'd killed it would be a flavor thing that likely interacted with the game world and B: I could just put a billion ranks in disguise self and force the GM to interact with my character anyways.

But you see, in the first case bluh we're ignoring it and in the second case ~*fartz*~

Yeah, you're near Paizo HQ. That should probably say everything don't you think?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yeah, you're near Paizo HQ. That should probably say everything don't you think?

I made the same character that they were banning me from having vestigial features that didn't effect the game at all except I maxed out disguise self as much as possible. Each day he wakes up and as part of his otherworldly rites spends an hour putting on ritual wear that disguises himself as a full-on half-shoggoth.
Including burning a charge on a wand of disguise self, he has skill focus: disguise self, Deceitful, the Augmented Disguise trait, and a disguise kit.

Each morning he wakes up and takes 20 for a total of 47 on a disguise check and then he can lie his rear end off as a convincingly hosed up monstrosity.

So the stuff I couldn't have because flavor is banned is now something that massively effects my character's interactions with the world, but that's totally okay!

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I made the same character that they were banning me from having vestigial features that didn't effect the game at all except I maxed out disguise self as much as possible. Each day he wakes up and as part of his otherworldly rites spends an hour putting on ritual wear that disguises himself as a full-on half-shoggoth.
Including burning a charge on a wand of disguise self, he has skill focus: disguise self, Deceitful, the Augmented Disguise trait, and a disguise kit.

Each morning he wakes up and takes 20 for a total of 47 on a disguise check and then he can lie his rear end off as a convincingly hosed up monstrosity.

So the stuff I couldn't have because flavor is banned is now something that massively effects my character's interactions with the world, but that's totally okay!

Another Redmond Goon :aaa:
Do you play at the Uncle's Games at Redmond Town Center by any chance?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Stool Sample posted:

Another Redmond Goon :aaa:
Do you play at the Uncle's Games at Redmond Town Center by any chance?

I don't play there, but I'm really really close to it.

Do you have AIM?

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I don't play there, but I'm really really close to it.

Do you have AIM?

I do!

watchmenwatcher@hotmail
(I think. I use meebo, and it's connected to all sorts of crap.)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
FoWafflehound calling earth, come in earth. :(

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Friend of mine wants some advice on a 14th level gnome barbarian, basically a former Ravager of Rovagug. Any ideas? I'm bad at barbarians.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Swags posted:

Friend of mine wants some advice on a 14th level gnome barbarian, basically a former Ravager of Rovagug. Any ideas? I'm bad at barbarians.

One level of Barbarian, 13 of wizard or sorcerer.

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

Swags posted:

I've put together a character concept that could probably be used or inverted for getting a good barbarian. It's splitting between levels of Barbarian and Ragechemist Alchemist, the Ultimate Combat archetype. You get a mutagen that boosts strength by 6 at the cost of 2 intelligence, and you can rage for an additional boost. The big numbers would probably help offset the small size of a gnome, especially when using an Enlarge Person infusion.

My best suggestion would probably be eight levels of Alchemist (for the Discovery that allows you to mix two spells into one potion, for faster buffing), and the rest in Barbarian. Then again, this is all theorycrafting, so I don't know how effective it would actually be.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Barbarians huh, bit busy to do a full analysis but basically, some tips:
-Same as any other melee, get a two handed reach weapon, with as much strength as you can manage. Also get gauntlets, armor spikes or some similar hands-free weapons to threaten your adjacent space even while using a polearm.
-Alternatively, you can take the Beast Totem(up to the Greater Totem) and go with claws + bite pouncing.

-Get Dazing Assault, you have the to-hit to spare(with your rage and BAB) and dazing enemies means they won't be doing anything.
-Get Come and get me to go with the above. MAKE them hit you, so you can attack right back.
-If you have 3.5 sources available, get ways to become immune to fatigue. This lets you exit and re-enter Rages to get more uses of 1/rage abilities.

-Alchemist is overall, a good dip for you, the mutagen stacks with rage, and while effectively spells, you simply use Extracts like any potion, which is possible to do while raging. Plenty of 1st level extracts that are directly relevant as well.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
On the subject of barbarians...

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm thinking about creating an Elf Barbarian. To offset the low CON, I would take up the Savage Barbarian archetype and max out my DEX as much as possible. I'd swing an Elven Curve blade and stack on top Improved Crit so I can get a whopping 16-20 crit range :black101:. Any thoughts? Any feats/traits/rage powers/etc. I should pick up to max out my AC?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

veekie posted:

Barbarians huh, bit busy to do a full analysis but basically, some tips:
-Same as any other melee, get a two handed reach weapon, with as much strength as you can manage. Also get gauntlets, armor spikes or some similar hands-free weapons to threaten your adjacent space even while using a polearm.
-Alternatively, you can take the Beast Totem(up to the Greater Totem) and go with claws + bite pouncing.

-Get Dazing Assault, you have the to-hit to spare(with your rage and BAB) and dazing enemies means they won't be doing anything.
-Get Come and get me to go with the above. MAKE them hit you, so you can attack right back.
-If you have 3.5 sources available, get ways to become immune to fatigue. This lets you exit and re-enter Rages to get more uses of 1/rage abilities.

-Alchemist is overall, a good dip for you, the mutagen stacks with rage, and while effectively spells, you simply use Extracts like any potion, which is possible to do while raging. Plenty of 1st level extracts that are directly relevant as well.

Plus Bombs. Those are always fun.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Fudge Handsome posted:

It sounds like they'd throw a shitfit and flip tables if they knew about my small binder of house rules.

Here's an excerpt: Feats that apply to single weapons (like Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, and Improved Critical) apply instead to entire weapon groups (like in the fighter's Weapon Training class feature).

I'd be interested in hearing more of these, if you wouldn't mind.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Barbarians get all the cool melee poo poo, so there's really no way to build a Barbarian wrong as long as you follow the basics for melee classes. A friend of mine made a Chargarian with a flying horse, the Beast Totem Rage Powers and a Lance that could turn into a Scythe. His behaviour in combat generally amounted to, "I rage, then charge it." Then he proceeded to drop 400+ damage in a round at level 14~ish. That was a fun time for the GM.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Rage powers are overall somewhat mediocre though, compared to even rogue talents.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

veekie posted:

No need to go all the way to 3.5, a single level of Oracle with the curse 'Lame' accomplishes this just fine at character level 10+.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Uh, that Rage Alchemist strength thing seems to have a pretty significant downside??

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

veekie posted:

Rage powers are overall somewhat mediocre though, compared to even rogue talents.

I would disagree. A lot of the Rage powers are very specialized at making the Barbarian an incredibly effective combatant. Even without Rage Powers it would still be a strong class, but when you add in the opportunity to get Pounce, Rage and Rage Powers for his mount, and the ability to reroll failed saves, you get a class which is effectively better at Fighting than the Fighter. (although that's picking the low-hanging fruit)

e: I will agree that many of the Rage Powers having a 1/rage use limit is stupid and arbitrarily restricting.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 28, 2012

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Overall that is, specific rage powers can prove useful, like Greater Beast Totem(2 primary natural weapons, pounce, and presumably throwing in Bite as another power) and sharing rage with the mount, but beyond those, you have some bonuses that apply only to one attack per rage, or don't really work on a rage's duration that well.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Danhenge posted:

Uh, that Rage Alchemist strength thing seems to have a pretty significant downside??

I was always fond of the Vivisectionist Archetype. Alchemists are just so versatile!

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

veekie posted:

Overall that is, specific rage powers can prove useful, like Greater Beast Totem(2 primary natural weapons, pounce, and presumably throwing in Bite as another power) and sharing rage with the mount, but beyond those, you have some bonuses that apply only to one attack per rage, or don't really work on a rage's duration that well.

The key is to find ways to make yourself immune to fatigue, so you can essentially turn your rage on and off at will, making those once-per-rage powers become once-per-round powers.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

On the subject of barbarians...

What about a rogue level? All that dex based fun plus some acrobatics and you could spend a lot of time in flanking getting an extra 1d6.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

What about a rogue level? All that dex based fun plus some acrobatics and you could spend a lot of time in flanking getting an extra 1d6.

On the same token; Vivisectionist Alchemist gets you Sneak Attacks and Dex Mutagens in addition to Alchemist Infusions.

Meepo posted:

The key is to find ways to make yourself immune to fatigue, so you can essentially turn your rage on and off at will, making those once-per-rage powers become once-per-round powers.

Country Born trait gets you a +1 to Will Saves and the ability to ignore the first application of Fatigue or Exhaustion you get hit with per day. Aside from that, maybe a magic item that hits you with Lesser Restoration X/times a day?

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 28, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
What would be the absolutely dumbest skill to max out entirely in PFS? I don't mean like Linguistics I mean like a +50 bluff check from 3.5 days where you can talk enemies into stabbing themselves or those kind of things.

I want to break this fucker wide open (but in a fun-to-play-with way).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

What would be the absolutely dumbest skill to max out entirely in PFS? I don't mean like Linguistics I mean like a +50 bluff check from 3.5 days where you can talk enemies into stabbing themselves or those kind of things.

I want to break this fucker wide open (but in a fun-to-play-with way).

More or less the same as in 3.5. Diplomacy can be used to persuade courses of action(but nothing that "goes against the subject's values or nature"), and Bluff to convince them that the action is totally in line with their nature.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I keep trying to make Intimidate work on paper.

I'd love to play an Inquisitor or something like a bounty hunter who focused on non-lethal damage and had the Enforcer feat for free intimidates when you inflict NL damage.

I love the concept of smacking someone for NL damage and shouting to intimidate them.

Inquisitors get half their level on Intimidate checks, and you could always grab Intimidating Prowess to add your STR to it, or Intimidating Gaze to roll twice and take the better result.

Antagonize is fun, it's essentially a taunt. It doesn't have a Will save, it has a DC based on the target's HD and and Wisdom score, which is both good and bad.

Dazzling Display is a 30' AoE intimidate. Seems fun for small packs of weak monsters, but it leads to Shatter Defenses, which makes anyone shaken by your stuff flat-footed to you for the rest of the round.

All of this seems really fun to me, both in the number crunching and the character theme ways, but it's really feat intensive and I don't think it's all that viable when a creature can be just flat out immune to fear or non-lethal damage.

Diplomacy and Bluff are really fun if the adventure you're on is conducive to using them. In the game I'm running right now the PCs have basically tricked half of the cultists or talked them into standing down.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

veekie posted:

More or less the same as in 3.5. Diplomacy can be used to persuade courses of action(but nothing that "goes against the subject's values or nature"), and Bluff to convince them that the action is totally in line with their nature.

Ahahaha I'd never noticed this, and it's so gloriously in line with my character. I wonder how I can crank both those skills up as fast as possible...

What would the DCs on that be, anyways?

Inverse Icarus posted:

My not-trying-to-break-the-game Barbarian is one 4000gp magic item away from an intimidate modifier in the thousands when raging. He also gets free intimidates on hits. If he intimidates you, you're flat footed. He's also a ninja.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
For diplomacy, you need an Indifferent creature to take requests, so you need a DC 30+Enemy Cha to make a hostile creature Indifferent. This takes 1 minute, you may need a captive audience.
Then you can roll to make a request at DC 15 +Enemy Cha +10(give dangerous aid) +15(give aid that can result in punishment), these numbers apparently vary by DM's discretion.
Next you need a Bluff roll at -10(you can totally handle that dragon alone) to -20(stabbing yourself is very important to save kittens, it won't cause any harm, its magic).

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Inverse Icarus posted:

Intimidate Inquisitor

Non-lethal damage or no, all intimidation inquisitors should pick up Blistering Invective.

quote:

You unleash an insulting tirade so vicious and spiteful that enemies who hear it are physically scorched by your fury. When you cast this spell, make an Intimidate check to demoralize each enemy within 30 feet of you. Enemies that are demoralized this way take 1d10 points of fire damage and must succeed at a Reflex save or catch fire. Spell Resistance can negate the fire damage caused by this spell, but does not protect the creature from the demoralizing effect.

Sick Burn: The Spell

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'd love to play an Inquisitor or something like a bounty hunter who focused on non-lethal damage and had the Enforcer feat for free intimidates when you inflict NL damage.

I love the concept of smacking someone for NL damage and shouting to intimidate them.

Inquisitors get half their level on Intimidate checks, and you could always grab Intimidating Prowess to add your STR to it, or Intimidating Gaze to roll twice and take the better result.

Antagonize is fun, it's essentially a taunt. It doesn't have a Will save, it has a DC based on the target's HD and and Wisdom score, which is both good and bad.

Dazzling Display is a 30' AoE intimidate. Seems fun for small packs of weak monsters, but it leads to Shatter Defenses, which makes anyone shaken by your stuff flat-footed to you for the rest of the round.

All of this seems really fun to me, both in the number crunching and the character theme ways, but it's really feat intensive and I don't think it's all that viable when a creature can be just flat out immune to fear or non-lethal damage.

Diplomacy and Bluff are really fun if the adventure you're on is conducive to using them. In the game I'm running right now the PCs have basically tricked half of the cultists or talked them into standing down.

You can take this in two directions. The first is the most restrictive and level-intensive, since you need at least Anti-Paladin level 3 for Aura of Cowardice. This removes your opponent's immunity to Fear if they are within 10ft. of you and gives them a -4 on Saves against Fear effects. Essentially you are so frightening that you teach the Undead to know terror.

Second is much less restrictive; taking one level of the Rogue's Thug archetype allows your Shaken effects to last one round longer - if the Shaken effect lasts 4 rounds, they are Frightened for 1 round instead. These rounds stack. Typically the DC to Shaken someone with an Intimidate check is 10 + HD + Wisdom Modifier or Sense Motive, whichever's higher. Ramp the skill up high enough and you can easily make the check to put them immediately into Frightened state without even rolling the dice.

If you're feeling spicy, combine the two and become a walking Fear Engine.

quote:

My not-trying-to-break-the-game Barbarian is one 4000gp magic item away from an intimidate modifier in the thousands when raging. He also gets free intimidates on hits. If he intimidates you, you're flat footed. He's also a ninja.

You need to take the second option on your next level up.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 29, 2012

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

You can take this in two directions. The first is the most restrictive and level-intensive, since you need at least Anti-Paladin level 3 for Aura of Cowardice. This removes your opponent's immunity to Fear if they are within 10ft. of you and gives them a -4 on Saves against Fear effects. Essentially you are so frightening that you teach the Undead to know terror.

Second is much less restrictive; taking one level of the Rogue's Thug archetype allows your Shaken effects to last one round longer - if the Shaken effect lasts 4 rounds, they are Frightened for 1 round instead. These rounds stack. Typically the DC to Shaken someone with an Intimidate check is 10 + HD + Wisdom Modifier or Sense Motive, whichever's higher. Ramp the skill up high enough and you can easily make the check to put them immediately into Frightened state without even rolling the dice.

If you're feeling spicy, combine the two and become a walking Fear Engine.

You need to take the second option on your next level up.

Antipaladin/Thug with Intimidating Prowess and Dazzling Display was my very first (and still one of my favorite and more stylish) Pathfinder hacks. I especially like that it totally elides the need for any magic, a single Supernatural Ability aside. Plus you can make oozes and other nonsensical things run away from you.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

grah posted:

Antipaladin/Thug with Intimidating Prowess and Dazzling Display was my very first (and still one of my favorite and more stylish) Pathfinder hacks. I especially like that it totally elides the need for any magic, a single Supernatural Ability aside. Plus you can make oozes and other nonsensical things run away from you.

How's that happen? Intimidate is both language-dependent and mind-affecting, and I'm pretty sure oozes and such are brainless and also cannot comprehend speech.

I mean, I'm all down for being able to intimidate objects and constructs and poo poo, but as far as I know, there aren't any feats or abilities to overcome those restrictions.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

How's that happen? Intimidate is both language-dependent and mind-affecting, and I'm pretty sure oozes and such are brainless and also cannot comprehend speech.

I mean, I'm all down for being able to intimidate objects and constructs and poo poo, but as far as I know, there aren't any feats or abilities to overcome those restrictions.

I guess it's technically a houserule but we always treated "removing fear immunity" as removing all of the things that make you immune to fear. Otherwise it's just silly to say you remove fear immunity but that demon or zombie is still not scared of you because its immune to mind affecting. It doesn't seem crazy to me for your unholy aura of evil to cause an ooze to slurm just as fast as it can slurm directly away from you.

Edit: Also I don't see anything that says the demoralize action is language or mind dependent, but I could be missing it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

grah posted:

Edit: Also I don't see anything that says the demoralize action is language or mind dependent, but I could be missing it.
Huh, it doesn't appear to be in the Intimidate rules themselves, though some spells and abilities that use intimidate specifically mention language-dependence. I was pretty sure there was also some feat that let you intimidate things even if they don't understand your speech, though now I can't find that either, if it even exists.

So yeah, I guess language dependency for normal intimidating isn't a thing after all. I could see someone reasonably house-ruling it either way.

Though demoralizing is naturally going to be a mind-affecting thing, since it's a fear effect/morale effect (well, technically Shaken, Frightened, and Panicked are), even if it is a non-magical source. Something like an ooze that doesn't have a brain or basic self-preservation instincts probably isn't going to get scared no matter what you do to it.

quote:

Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). An ooze with an Intelligence score loses this trait.
e: For the record, Plants, Undead, Constructs, and Vermin types also have this immunity.

e2: Hah, looking more at the prd glossary, Paizo never actually defines what a "morale effect" is or says that fear effects are mind-affecting or considered morale effects. So if you had to rules lawyer it, it's technically up in the air, though personally I'd consider it kind of obvious that demoralizing an enemy is an effect on their morale.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 29, 2012

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

e2: Hah, looking more at the prd glossary, Paizo never actually defines what a "morale effect" is or says that fear effects are mind-affecting or considered morale effects. So if you had to rules lawyer it, it's technically up in the air, though personally I'd consider it kind of obvious that demoralizing an enemy is an effect on their morale.

Plausible, though spell Fear effects appear to almost universally be mind affecting, you can indeed inflict terror on creatures with no mind. Might be because Turn Undead works based on fear(despite the targets being immune to mind affecting and sometimes mindless to boot).

Intimidate seems to be not mind-affecting, but then the other social skills don't specify that either. Loophole I guess.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
They're pretty fast about clarifying stuff like that. They were quick to clarify that despite the fact that half-orc never explicitly says anywhere they are half-orc half-human I could not play a half-orc half-shoggoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Wow I didn't know my intimidate idea would have had such traction.

I didn't know about a lot of those feats and spells, that makes it even harder to decide.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

My not-trying-to-break-the-game Barbarian is one 4000gp magic item away from an intimidate modifier in the thousands when raging.

Got any math on that? I'm curious where the insane gets multiplied in