Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Junkenstein posted:

Does youview have anything you can't get from Virgin on demand and a laptop hooked up to your TV?
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

But, then again, neither does a normal freeview television. Also I'm assuming it'll be less painfully slow than virgin boxes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Virgin TiVo box is pretty quick, but my word the UI is dreadful. Too many years of using a fully integrated XBMC setup has really spoilt me for what's possible though, any set top box I touch pretty much disappoints.

Apple TV is nice though just because they kept it simple and doesn't feel like a mish mash of 10 things, but obviously it's not a DVB device.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Junkenstein posted:

Does youview have anything you can't get from Virgin on demand and a laptop hooked up to your TV?
On the later point, form factor and convenience is a massive selling point. On the former; probably not on day one but if it's the success I expect it to be, it'll eventually go way beyond Virgin at the moment.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The pHo posted:

Apple TV is nice though just because they kept it simple and doesn't feel like a mish mash of 10 things, but obviously it's not a DVB device.
I wish everything had an interface like the Apple TV. It's horrible going from Netflix on the AppleTV to, well, anything else TV based. Including the YouView.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Have you used many of the other apps? I've had NHL up on it and possibly NBA too (they run a free game a day and I'm sure I tried it a while back), it just makes things so simple. If someone other had full online rights to Premier League games and used Apple TV as the frontend to it, they'd absolutely clean up.

It's handling of podcasts is better than the iPhone and iTunes too imo (although that new podcasts app is pretty cool).

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Xachariah posted:

I'm kind of annoyed about the Sky Atlantic channel. I know Sky are only trying to differentiate themselves from competitors, but I still hate them for making a channel for exclusive stuff which Virgin/BT customers can't get.

In respect of the business side of things, I can appreciate the value for Sky to do things this way. Personally and irrationally I think they are assholes.

FYI - the reason why Sky Atlantic is not on VM is that Sky and VM could not reach an agreement over how much VM would pay Sky to carry the channel. Nothing to do with exclusivity. That's just a consolation.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Weren't Sky deliberately being pricks about the price though ? That certainly seems to have been their pattern over the last few years. Be as unreasonable as they want in the knowledge that they'll default to exclusivity if VM wont cave to them ?

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd be less surprised if they weren't dicks about it. Aren't they bullish about everything?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Weren't Sky deliberately being pricks about the price though ? That certainly seems to have been their pattern over the last few years. Be as unreasonable as they want in the knowledge that they'll default to exclusivity if VM wont cave to them ?

In fairness they can charge what they want for it. They're the ones who struck the deal with HBO.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Somebody finally leaked some Youview screenshots.
http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2012/06/29/a-first-look-at-the-uks-long-awaited-youview-smart-tv-service/

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil

Junkenstein posted:

Depends on the apps people build over the next couple of years really. There's a pretty high barrier to entry (you have to be a pretty large company to think about building one), but it's in theory a more inclusive platform than Sky/Virgin/any of the smart TVs.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
whatever happened to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? He knew his telly onions, worked for sky I think. Did he go when the UK megathread guys started to leave?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

meme posted:

whatever happened to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad? He knew his telly onions, worked for sky I think. Did he go when the UK megathread guys started to leave?
Very confused until I realised you were talking about the SA poster.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did anyone here see the Macbeth documentary with Ethan Hawke? I just finished watching it now, and while it was pretty good, I was more intrigued by how mental he seems when just being himself and that he dresses like a total scruff.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Today I decided to break in my new TV by watching the 1947 version of Brighton Rock on More4, which was excellent :) Five seconds after it finished all the electricity in the flat went off because the estate agents gave me the wrong card for the meter and they're not available until Monday, which is poo poo :(

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I want to go on a night out with the guys from the Jacamo advert, maybe with Johnny Vegas narrating.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Anybody else give Wimbledon a miss and watch BBC2s' The Hollow Crown instead? Sort of thing that I'm glad to pay the license fee for. First part was Richard II, and Ben Wishaw was quite remarkable as the fey, spoilt titular character. Bloody amazing supporting cast too.

Looking forward to next week. Think Jeremy Irons as Henry IV will chew the scenery most satisfactorily.

chazzared
Dec 4, 2006

Irisi posted:

Anybody else give Wimbledon a miss and watch BBC2s' The Hollow Crown instead? Sort of thing that I'm glad to pay the license fee for. First part was Richard II, and Ben Wishaw was quite remarkable as the fey, spoilt titular character. Bloody amazing supporting cast too.

Looking forward to next week. Think Jeremy Irons as Henry IV will chew the scenery most satisfactorily.

I thought it was staggeringly good. All the televised Shakespeare stuff the BBC has been producing in the past few years has been incredible (and mostly available on iPlayer right now!)

In regards to Richard II, the cast was crazy strong, so it was a joy to watch. The Christ imagery was laid on a bit thick near the end, though

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of Wimbledon, the Raiders of the Lost Ark they originally had on the EPG was the worst prick tease possible.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

chazzared posted:

I thought it was staggeringly good. All the televised Shakespeare stuff the BBC has been producing in the past few years has been incredible (and mostly available on iPlayer right now!)

In regards to Richard II, the cast was crazy strong, so it was a joy to watch. The Christ imagery was laid on a bit thick near the end, though

It really was very good. In a couple of places I thought that the cinematography was a little too crude, and I agree with you about the last bit; other than that it wwas superb throughout with excellent acting.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Found it a little heavy on the Christ imagery towards the end as well, but largely fantastic. Kicking myself for giving most of the television adaptations of shakespeare recently a miss.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Handsome Dead posted:

Speaking of Wimbledon, the Raiders of the Lost Ark they originally had on the EPG was the worst prick tease possible.

What's EPG? I saw Raiders was "On now" on the iPlayer site and Tennis was on 2, but it was tennis on 1 and TOTP2 or whatever on 2.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's EPG? I saw Raiders was "On now" on the iPlayer site and Tennis was on 2, but it was tennis on 1 and TOTP2 or whatever on 2.

They cancelled Raiders and replaced it with tennis, which meant no tennis on 2 so they put on a bunch of random crap instead. I have no idea why and it pissed me off as I haven't seen Raiders since I got my shiny new HD telly.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Electronic Programme Guide

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Okay, the montage at the end of the Euro Final. Linkin Park was one thing, but...why?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Could you elaborate for those who didn't watch it?

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shelf Adventure posted:

Could you elaborate for those who didn't watch it?

poo poo, acoustic, folk version of Thriller.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Handsome Dead posted:

poo poo, acoustic, folk version of Thriller.

Specifically, the full original intro, leading into said shifty folk version.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Its Imogen Heap from the Live Lounge I believe, theyve used it a couple of times in the tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFzHv53UVXI

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Taff posted:

Its Imogen Heap from the Live Lounge I believe, theyve used it a couple of times in the tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFzHv53UVXI

Even by Live Lounge standards that is loving horrible. Jo Whiley, so much to answer for...

THUMBS IF YOU HERE CAUSE OFF ITALY VS SPAIN 4-0

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Leyburn posted:

I want to go on a night out with the guys from the Jacamo advert, maybe with Johnny Vegas narrating.

You're not a real man unless you have a 54" waist and wear check shirts to the pub.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Noreaus posted:

Found it a little heavy on the Christ imagery towards the end as well, but largely fantastic. Kicking myself for giving most of the television adaptations of shakespeare recently a miss.

I gave the Christ imagery a pass becasue it's basically ironic. It's a reflection of how the character sees himself rather than how we're meant to see him.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Sorry to bring up something from a few pages back, but who exactly is Louis Spence and how does he get so much time on television? All I've ever seen him do is dance at people whilst pulling that same horrible, weird rape face. Dance molestation seems to be his only schtick.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

sex pervert posted:

Sorry to bring up something from a few pages back, but who exactly is Louis Spence and how does he get so much time on television? All I've ever seen him do is dance at people whilst pulling that same horrible, weird rape face. Dance molestation seems to be his only schtick.

He was originally a professional dancer who was on some loving awful reality show. Now he seems to make his living being creepy on quiz shows.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

sex pervert posted:

He also appears to be thick as poo poo, which exemplifies a weird recent trend of showcasing the dumbest individuals on television gameshows and glorifying their stupidity for the masses.

At least he's not from the cast of The Only Way is Essex, Made in Chelsea, or Geordie Shore though. Those creepy fucks seem to be seeping into every other TV show as if they just refuse to leave the studios until they've met their daily quota for self-humiliation.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Captain Mediocre posted:

He also appears to be thick as poo poo, which exemplifies a weird recent trend of showcasing the dumbest individuals on television gameshows and glorifying their stupidity for the masses.

At least he's not from the cast of The Only Way is Essex, Made in Chelsea, or Geordie Shore though. Those creepy fucks seem to be seeping into every other TV show as if they just refuse to leave the studios until they've met their daily quota for self-humiliation.

Geordie shore is great though, it introduced the phrase "tash on" and "mortal" .

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Leon with a Zero posted:

Geordie shore is great though, it introduced the phrase "tash on" and "mortal" .

That's cool, I won't hate. I just wish they'd stay in their own shows :(

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I caught the first episode of the new Geordie Shore the other night and I really don't know how I feel about it. It's poo poo, trashy and dirt cheap but everyone in it is actually kind of alright apart from Ricci (pronounced Ricky) and lemon faced Charlotte. It makes a nice change from Jersey Shore where everyone immediately seemed like a macho bellend apart from Pauly D, who got the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

Handsome Dead posted:

I caught the first episode of the new Geordie Shore the other night and I really don't know how I feel about it. It's poo poo, trashy and dirt cheap but everyone in it is actually kind of alright apart from Ricci (pronounced Ricky) and lemon faced Charlotte. It makes a nice change from Jersey Shore where everyone immediately seemed like a macho bellend apart from Pauly D, who got the joke.

I'm sorry but Charlotte is amazing! Vicky is the lemon faced one. Yeah I love a bit (lot) of trashy tv. I know that's not allowed here but I don't care.