Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I've sold some furniture on eBay and I'm trying not to get hosed over. I've insisted on Paypal payment before they arrive (every single buyer asked to pay cash on collection, sigh) but what if after they pick it up, they claim they never got it and do a chargeback?

I'm going to ask them to sign something but I don't feel like that will help much if they lie :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

What's wrong with cash on pickup?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

BonHair posted:

What's wrong with cash on pickup?

It means there's no proof. Also it could easily be fake money and I'm not going to go through it and check.

Also means I'm giving out my home address to someone who hasn't paid, and might decide they don't like the item when they see it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I am looking thorugh job listings in Germany. Usually, when a job is listed as "EU60-80k", does that mean nett or gross?

EDIT: probably gross, right?

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 28, 2012

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Probably nett. I'm in Germany's little brother to the West but with any hourly wage or salary it hadn't even crossed my mind yet that it might be in gross.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

marshmallard posted:

It means there's no proof. Also it could easily be fake money and I'm not going to go through it and check.

Also means I'm giving out my home address to someone who hasn't paid, and might decide they don't like the item when they see it.

Well, that's kind of how "selling something" works. If I answered an ad for a used car or couch or whatever and the guy insisted I pay before I even see the thing, I'd think he was crazy... and I certainly wouldn't buy it.

Also, Paypal chargeback fraud is WAY easier, WAY more common, and WAY less aggressively prosecuted than counterfeiting currency. Cash on pickup is straightforward, universal, and as secure a transaction as you're ever likely to see.

e: Just noticed this was done on Ebay, so presumably the deal's already done. Missed that part. But still, cash is perfectly fine.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 28, 2012

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Namarrgon posted:

Probably nett. I'm in Germany's little brother to the West but with any hourly wage or salary it hadn't even crossed my mind yet that it might be in gross.

Is everyone's tax situation exactly the same? I have honestly never heard of job ads anywhere posting net salaries (personal experience limited to Ireland, UK, USA and Switzerland).

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

greazeball posted:

Is everyone's tax situation exactly the same? I have honestly never heard of job ads anywhere posting net salaries (personal experience limited to Ireland, UK, USA and Switzerland).

In every job I've had so far (granted, not salary-based) income tax is taken out before you see it in your bank account. Once a year your capitalist slave owner employer sends you an overview with the amount of money you received and how much went to income tax etc. that you use in your yearly tax filing.

I could be completely wrong though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Namarrgon posted:

In every job I've had so far (granted, not salary-based) income tax is taken out before you see it in your bank account. Once a year your capitalist slave owner employer sends you an overview with the amount of money you received and how much went to income tax etc. that you use in your yearly tax filing.

I do feel, in my gut, the salary/hourly wage divide might differentiate between nett and gross wage presentation. No idea, though.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Powered Descent posted:

e: Just noticed this was done on Ebay, so presumably the deal's already done. Missed that part. But still, cash is perfectly fine.

Yeah, it's on ebay, and if payment isn't done through Paypal then they won't help you at all if there's a problem. Bah.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside

FCKGW posted:

Amazon is taking trade-ins of used CDs now. They probably won't give you as much as if you were to find the right buyer, but at least you can ship them the whole lot in one shot and not worry about eBay chargebacks or Craigslist flakes.

http://www.amazon.com/tradein

I might consider this as well, thanks! I've had success with trading in textbooks on Amazon before, don't know why I didn't think about it this time.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Anyone know how Chrome decides what to add to its search engines list? It's got stuff in there from websites I only went to once, yet it steadfastly refuses to add one for Google Maps (which you'd think it would do OOTB). I know how to do it manually, but :effort:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Another question about Thunderbird/Provider: Can I sync my Google Tasks with the Provider/Lightning add-on? The tasks aren't syncing while the events do, so I've been forced to make a separate offline calendar for only tasks as a stopgap measure.

This problem was driving me up the wall (see: :bang:) earlier and it seems like the few people who know from various Google searches say that it's an issue in the Provider programming that doesn't allow for Google Task syncing yet. Can anybody confirm this and help me out? That'd help my frustration-induced headache, at least... :sigh:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I have a question about Microsoft Access and Excel (2003).

I've got this massive spreadsheet I am trying to convert into a database. Contents are basically individuals and the product they are receiving. Now the people who updated the spreadsheet prior to my receiving it added new lines every time anyone changed from one product to another, resulting in a mess of extra entries that I unfortunately have to preserve (each person is only on one product at any one time).

My question is, is there any easy way of splitting the table up so that I can associate each individual with all the products they have ever used (on a separate table)? I have passable IT skills, but can't do poo poo with VBA.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I have no programming language skills so I'm looking for a program/method to create this:

I want to be able to create a form/series/flow of question for my company that works dynamically. For example,

Question #1) What is the customer looking for?

The user would then choose an answer and based on their answer, the next question will be revealed depending on the answer they chose.

If they chose Apple, it would reveal Question #2a. If they chose Banana, it would reveal Question #2b. Then as they go on, each answer they choose from different questions will reveal a certain question pertaining to their.

Any idea?

Edit : Also, is there a name for this type of form? I do know some website design stuff so perhaps there are some plugins out there for Wordpress or whatever that I can look into.

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 28, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I have no programming language skills so I'm looking for a program/method to create this:

I want to be able to create a form/series/flow of question for my company that works dynamically. For example,

Question #1) What is the customer looking for?

The user would then choose an answer and based on their answer, the next question will be revealed depending on the answer they chose.

If they chose Apple, it would reveal Question #2a. If they chose Banana, it would reveal Question #2b. Then as they go on, each answer they choose from different questions will reveal a certain question pertaining to their.

Any idea?

Edit : Also, is there a name for this type of form? I do know some website design stuff so perhaps there are some plugins out there for Wordpress or whatever that I can look into.

A choose-your-own adventure? There are some existing tools for creating interactive fiction. One is called Twine and I believe it spits out flash documents.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Noni posted:

A choose-your-own adventure? There are some existing tools for creating interactive fiction. One is called Twine and I believe it spits out flash documents.

Never thought about it but that would work!

I'm mainly creating this to help co-workers ask customers certain questions about our products but something like that works.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Namarrgon posted:

That income tax is taken out before your pay is delivered to you doesn't affect how the company advertises a position. I honestly can't imagine a company advertising a net salary unless they had some way of knowing that every applicant would have exactly the same tax situation. Mokotow, the safest bet is to assume that all salary listings are gross salary; if it turns out to be a guaranteed net salary, that's a pleasant bonus.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I want to be able to create a form/series/flow of question for my company that works dynamically.

(...)

Edit: Also, is there a name for this type of form? I do know some website design stuff so perhaps there are some plugins out there for Wordpress or whatever that I can look into.

What you're looking for is skip logic. Pretty much every provider of online surveys implements skip logic these days, although you'll probably have to pay for it (that is, upgrade your account so you can access it). Check out SurveyGizmo, which is a paid service, or just search for "online survey" and pick a free service that looks good to you.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I have a bunch of Barbies I don't know what to do with. Do I sell them on ebay or is there a better option? We're talking 90s-2000s, so nothing really old or rare.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Brennanite posted:

I have a bunch of Barbies I don't know what to do with. Do I sell them on ebay or is there a better option? We're talking 90s-2000s, so nothing really old or rare.

Maybe there's a charity near you that gives toys to kids that don't have any of their own due to poverty or displacement due to natural disasters or domestic violence or something?

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie
I've started dying my hair assorted colors. It's currently purple and turquoise. I use Manic Panic Products. The color seems to fade very quickly in my bangs. Does anyone have any professional suggestions as to keep my color longer.

Gracias.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

jai Mundi posted:

I've started dying my hair assorted colors. It's currently purple and turquoise. I use Manic Panic Products. The color seems to fade very quickly in my bangs. Does anyone have any professional suggestions as to keep my color longer.

Gracias.

Are you bleaching first?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

jai Mundi posted:

Gracias.

Use Special Effects brand hair dye instead of Manic Panic, it's much more vibrant and long-lasting.

You can order it from Fuel The Army for slightly less than what most retailers sell it for and they do international shipping if you're not in the USA. (In Australia, one bottle of Special Effects is ~$20 in a shop, online it's ~$10 a bottle including shipping.)

Also, blues will wash out of your hair the fastest so it's not unusual to redye your hair on a weekly or fortnightly basis. Other colours like Atomic Pink will fade slowly to a pastel colour and can be redyed every 2-3 weeks instead.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Am I doing something wrong, or is there now no way to pre-emptively block someone from checking me in on facebook?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought some sausages and chicken at the store last night and accidentally left them on the counter for about 3.5-4 hours. I'm probably going to eat them anyways. Am I gonna die?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Why are some people compelled to feed internet trolls? Especially when they've identified the poster as a troll and the troll pretty much admits it?

The feeder usually ends up looking like more of an idiot than the troll himself.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

NESguerilla posted:

I bought some sausages and chicken at the store last night and accidentally left them on the counter for about 3.5-4 hours. I'm probably going to eat them anyways. Am I gonna die?

Ask in GWS and it depends on how hot it was but I probably wouldn't eat them no.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

CatchrNdRy posted:

Am I doing something wrong, or is there now no way to pre-emptively block someone from checking me in on facebook?
Its not blocking, exactly, but you can require approval for all check-ins that you don't do on facebook. Until you approve them, they wont show up on your wall.

NESguerilla posted:

Sniff them. Do they smell like something other than what they're supposed to smell like?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They smell perfectly fine. I was surprised. Figured at least the chicken would smell a bit off.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Assuming your home is kept at a normal temperature (e.g. 72 F), you should be fine provided you cook them fully prior to ingesting. 3-4 hours really isn't that long in mild temperatures.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I always suggest being cautious about chicken especially, but my roommate once left chicken out for about 16 hours, ate it and was fine.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've heard this at a couple of weddings - the DJ's seem to have this playlist for when people are getting to their seats before the bride comes out. It's a bunch of classic rock songs covered in orchestra versions - I absolutely recall hearing "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden in the mix, but I cannot find it anywhere. Also they played an acoustic version of Outkast's "Hey Ya" and it wasn't the Scrubs version. I definitely heard the same playlist at two weddings, and not the same DJ because the weddings were about 3000 miles apart. Does anyone know these songs I'm talking about?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Probably not the one you were after, but Sarah Blasko did a accoustic cover of Hey Ya last year,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paoFmPW8lLo

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I've heard this at a couple of weddings - the DJ's seem to have this playlist for when people are getting to their seats before the bride comes out. It's a bunch of classic rock songs covered in orchestra versions - I absolutely recall hearing "Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden in the mix, but I cannot find it anywhere. Also they played an acoustic version of Outkast's "Hey Ya" and it wasn't the Scrubs version. I definitely heard the same playlist at two weddings, and not the same DJ because the weddings were about 3000 miles apart. Does anyone know these songs I'm talking about?

Could the Hey Ya cover be the one by Obadiah Parker?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-8nkkOA_AM

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I'm interested in speed reading, as I am just coming to realise that I read terribly, terribly slow. Is it possible for me to increase my reading speed whilst holding my comprehension?

The internet is awash with many 'speed-read quick' schemes and the like, so I'm looking for more facts, and personal experiences from those who have managed to 'up' their rate of reading.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

FogHelmut posted:

You could try searching on Google for 'mobile DJs songlist'. Adding your city / state may help as the people who DJ at weddings / functions normally have a digital library with thousands of common or popular songs to play rather than a traditional DJ who uses CDs or vinyl records.

As an example, I found this site where you can search through a library of songs and pick which ones you want played at your event.

Fake edit - maybe try searching for 'wedding arrival playlist' or similar, too?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Convexed posted:

I'm interested in speed reading, as I am just coming to realise that I read terribly, terribly slow. Is it possible for me to increase my reading speed whilst holding my comprehension?

The internet is awash with many 'speed-read quick' schemes and the like, so I'm looking for more facts, and personal experiences from those who have managed to 'up' their rate of reading.

A "Tell" thread about this would be interesting if you end up not getting enough bites in here.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Can anyone tell me what country this is?

Apologies for the lovely camera phone pic.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service