Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

sensy v2.0 posted:

Didn't go to Iceland this summer, cause my gf wanted sun. So we went to Greece instead.

IMG_8345 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

IMG_8848 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

IMG_8514 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

IMG_8581 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

Beautiful.
I was supposed to go to Greece for my honeymoon in September but because of the economical issues theyre having, we were scared into not going (and deciding to cut our budget in half) so we will be going to the Dominican instead. I still wish I was going to greece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
double :swoon:

neckbeard posted:

Saint Fu - thanks for the Mount Hua recommendation, I really liked Xi'an, that city is going to be insane in 5-10 years at the rate it/the area is going
Oh hey, glad it worked out for you. I hope it wasn't too terribly crowded. Did you get wild and walk along the crazy death cliff?

_MG_3635 by spf3million, on Flickr

spf3million fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 26, 2012

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

This thread has always been intimidating to me because I don't have a DSLR or anything fancy, only a Canon s95. But 99% of my pictures are hiking so I like having a tiny camera to shove in my pocket that can still take decent photos. That said, the ultimate goal of hiking is getting somewhere that has awesome landscapes to look at, so I like watching this thread for ideas.

We went for a hike on Sunday and watched a thunderstorm roll through the valley below us while we sat in the sunshine, and I finally feel like I have something to contribute to this thread. I kind of want to get it printed to hang on a wall, so I wouldn't mind advice as far as post processing to make it look awesomer if possible. All I've done to it was the pre-loaded "Punch" filter in Lightroom to make it brighter and more defined.

Vineyards Stitch by Tagracat, on Flickr

The other problem I have is the file is 10x60 which is a bizarre size to print, and I'm not sure whether to scale it down (60 is kind of long...) or what would make it too small since it's pretty narrow. Where do you usually go to get something printed? I'm in Canada, which will probably change the recommendations a lot. I found a lot of internet companies who claim they will canvas that size and ship it for 150-175 bucks or so, but I have no idea who is good or what to look for, or if it's best to try to find something local and talk to them directly.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Tagra posted:

This thread has always been intimidating to me because I don't have a DSLR or anything fancy, only a Canon s95.
Don't worry about it, all my photos are from an LX5. It's not about your gear ;)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Honestly, my local London Drugs do really good photo printing, I usually go there. I know they have a few weird size options, though I don't know if they do custom or have a 6:1 ratio print size.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread before, and I shoot mainly landscapes while on hiking trips. So to counter all that gorgeous Iceland stuff, and show some solidarity with the beautiful Greece stuff, here's some more Mediterranean - mostly taken along the GR 7 trail in southern Spain:

Tarifa by Norrskensren, on Flickr

Puerto de Ojén by Norrskensren, on Flickr

Ronda by Norrskensren, on Flickr

Ridge by Norrskensren, on Flickr

Jimena by Norrskensren, on Flickr

IMG_0142 by Norrskensren, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

sensy v2.0 posted:

Didn't go to Iceland this summer, cause my gf wanted sun.

You should have told her that Iceland is so close to the Arctic Circle that you'd be getting almost 24 hours of sunlight in the summer.

Saint Fu posted:

Oh hey, glad it worked out for you. I hope it wasn't too terribly crowded. Did you get wild and walk along the crazy death cliff?

It was pretty crowded, actually, especially when there was a tour group nearby. I have anxiety issues when dealing with big vertical drops so I didn't do the crazy wood plank route

Tagra posted:

Where do you usually go to get something printed? I'm in Canada, which will probably change the recommendations a lot. I found a lot of internet companies who claim they will canvas that size and ship it for 150-175 bucks or so, but I have no idea who is good or what to look for, or if it's best to try to find something local and talk to them directly.

Which city? Try a McBain Camera if there's one where you live

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 26, 2012

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

MrBlandAverage posted:

Dettifoss by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Goðafoss by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Námafjall by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Untitled by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Really love these man; excellent work.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
To break away from the European theme, here's some of the beauty of the Midwest.

Northern Minnesota Fog

Mississippi South

Mississippi Down

Of course, the one overcast (and too bright) day this month just has to be the day of my trip.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 12, 2023

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

MrBlandAverage posted:

...and another view of Dettifoss:

Dettifoss by RHITMrB, on Flickr

just a slight critique- the only thing that's bugging me about this picture (it's gorgeous by the way)is that there is no reference point for scale. It's tricky with these kinds of shots, but I'm not really sure if im looking at a MASSIVE waterfall or a smaller one. Just something to think about, it doesn't make the image any less awesome. :)

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 29, 2020

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Decided to try doing a bit of landscape photography with my Mamiya:

Bonsai Valley by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Path by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Chatsworth Mirrored by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Square Format. :swoon:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Square is the best, and those first two are nice.

I use the crop lines in my viewfinder and shoot for square crop all the time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Wow, I love this. A lot.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This is part of a cemetery.

RVP50 R02-03 by alkanphel, on Flickr

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

More from Greece:

Meteora Panorama by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

Meteora Panorama 2 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

IMG_8917 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

IMG_8491 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those rock formations are pretty drat incredible. I've seen a bunch of wind shaped sandstone, but never harder stone.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

alkanphel posted:

This is part of a cemetery.

RVP50 R02-03 by alkanphel, on Flickr

That's really neat how the cloud and tree fit together. I would have really liked to see you get lower so that the handing branch doesn't overlap the cloud. Or hedge clippers.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
One from tonight.

down by the water by thetzar, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

(this is HDR)

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

thetzar posted:

One from tonight.

Stellar.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

LargeHadron posted:

That's really neat how the cloud and tree fit together. I would have really liked to see you get lower so that the handing branch doesn't overlap the cloud. Or hedge clippers.
Haha yeah I didn't really notice that overhanging branch at the time.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

thetzar posted:

One from tonight.

This is great

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tagra posted:

This thread has always been intimidating to me because I don't have a DSLR or anything fancy, only a Canon s95. But 99% of my pictures are hiking so I like having a tiny camera to shove in my pocket that can still take decent photos. That said, the ultimate goal of hiking is getting somewhere that has awesome landscapes to look at, so I like watching this thread for ideas.

We went for a hike on Sunday and watched a thunderstorm roll through the valley below us while we sat in the sunshine, and I finally feel like I have something to contribute to this thread. I kind of want to get it printed to hang on a wall, so I wouldn't mind advice as far as post processing to make it look awesomer if possible. All I've done to it was the pre-loaded "Punch" filter in Lightroom to make it brighter and more defined.

Vineyards Stitch by Tagracat, on Flickr

The other problem I have is the file is 10x60 which is a bizarre size to print, and I'm not sure whether to scale it down (60 is kind of long...) or what would make it too small since it's pretty narrow. Where do you usually go to get something printed? I'm in Canada, which will probably change the recommendations a lot. I found a lot of internet companies who claim they will canvas that size and ship it for 150-175 bucks or so, but I have no idea who is good or what to look for, or if it's best to try to find something local and talk to them directly.

As was already said, don't worry about your gear! All the pictures I've posted were with a $300 point and shoot (Optio W60). If you've got a good eye you can still do amazing work.

Although I did just pick up a D7000, so now I'm a hypocrite. Though lugging that thing up a mountain is going to be... interesting. I've got big plans over the next two weeks so I'll be back soon with actual content.

Edit: What am I talking about? There's no reason I can't dip into my backlog again.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 30, 2012

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

This one is fantastic. Shame it wasn't shot during the golden hour, but it's still great :)

Merewether Ocean Baths by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Not sure which of those two I prefer.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Cross posting, but I haven't been taking as many landscapes lately so I figured I'd contribute the rare time that I do.

The White City by Myotomy, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That's a really tight B/W conversion. I wish the dome was centered, but I guess you can yell at the architect for that.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

aliencowboy posted:

That's a really tight B/W conversion. I wish the dome was centered, but I guess you can yell at the architect for that.

Haha I didn't even notice that it was slightly off center, that makes me feel rather sheepish. I wonder how the dome lines up from the front of the building, as this is technically the rear.

History / Interesting Fact: The building is one of two remaining structures from Chicago's World's Columbian Exposition (World's fair) in 1893. It's now the Museum of Science and Industry.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yosemite national park. Digital infrared.

http://shaozhang.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Yosemite-May-2012/

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 3, 2012

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Shaocaholica posted:

Yosemite national park. Digital infrared.

These two are loving great. They look like they'd be nice even without the IR, but the second is especially stronger for it.

DSC_6210.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_6231.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_6263.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_6031.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

scottch posted:

These two are loving great. They look like they'd be nice even without the IR, but the second is especially stronger for it.

Thanks. They look better but I didn't really optimize them for web. I still have a boatload of IR stuff to process.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Scotland:

Edit: Shaocaholica - what time of day was the first shot (from Glacier Point?) taken? It's great :)

Mathturbator fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 3, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mathturbator posted:

Edit: Shaocaholica - what time of day was the first shot (from Glacier Point?) taken? It's great :)

High loving noon. Foggy as poo poo that day.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This is an oldie. Phoenix, AZ.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Well poo poo, that's pretty awesome looking.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

William T. Hornaday posted:

Well poo poo, that's pretty awesome looking.

Thanks. It always reminds me of the establishing shots of mordor from ROTK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

That rocks. Mordor indeed.

edit: What does your infrared setup consist of?

edit2, for content:

Light was reflecting off a nearby lake. The shore is about 10 miles away.

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 7, 2012