Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So Strife is an utter bastard of a game (seriously, what the hell, making one of the first sidequests make the game unwinnable is a dick move straight out of Sierra games) but I love it anyways. I really can't think of anything else quite like it, it's a bizarre hybrid of Deus Ex and Zeno Clash that predates both by 5 and 10+ years respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

WickedIcon posted:

So Strife is an utter bastard of a game (seriously, what the hell, making one of the first sidequests make the game unwinnable is a dick move straight out of Sierra games) but I love it anyways. I really can't think of anything else quite like it, it's a bizarre hybrid of Deus Ex and Zeno Clash that predates both by 5 and 10+ years respectively.

I love Strife. I discovered it a couple of years ago, expecting that its lack of fame was due to mediocrity, but man, that game was way ahead of its time in terms of gameplay. Not so much in terms of graphics, which sadly is probably why no one played it.

And yea, it's full of dick moves. You can skip a large portion of the game depending on a choice you make near the middle (I won't spoil it, but let's just say the game earned it's tagline "Trust no one"). And I'm not talking Super Mario style "congratulations you warp to World 4!" I mean you miss out on over an eighth of the game you wouldn't normally even know was there. This part of the game, and the early sidequest you mentioned, made me realize why the choices that, e.g., Deus Ex gives the player do not cause significant changes later in the game, and why the people complaining about that in Deus Ex don't know what they're talking about.

Having said that, the fact that a large part of the game was basically optional is kind of cool. It's kind of like the secret levels that other games of that era had, except Strife uses it to reward the player's choices. Pretty clever, actually. And anyone who can make a Doom engine game in the mid-90's where players are faced with important decisions has earned my applause.

Strife is generally hard as the dickens, though. I never did pass the final boss. And I recall the other bosses being harder than anything in Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. Between this, the graphics, and the Sierra level of dickishness, I can see why this wasn't a best-seller. It's definitely a "gamer's game".

edit: oh god and the big Inquisitor robots. Those were so hard. scared the crap out of me. I just read on doomwiki.org that apparently explosives don't fare well against them, so maybe that's why I found them so difficult... I remember one of my tactics was dropping grenades near them when they're somewhere below me.

Hammsturabi fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 28, 2012

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Finished Thy Flesh Consumed, moving on to Doom 2. Those level designs, man. Some were pretty good, but some... God, what was it, House of Pain in Inferno? Hideous and terrible level design.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Strife was the first game I ever pre-ordered; I still run through it about once a year. The worst thing about the steal the chalice quest, was that in the demo it was the right thing to do, and in the retail game it screwed up everything. I thought the graphics in Strife were pretty good, but didn't Quake come out the same year? The cut-scenes and voice.wad content were quite the addition to the old doom engine. I was waiting for some good Strife chat!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Strife was something that I never played back in the day but I picked it up a few years ago and loved it. I never beat it though, I think I got lost in some level and gave up. Of course, samey looking mazes are pretty much the worst thing about lots of games of that era.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The worst thing about the steal the chalice quest, was that in the demo it was the right thing to do, and in the retail game it screwed up everything.

:cripes:

On one hand that's loving hilarious on the other hand jesus christ that's horrible game design. Also given that it's literally one of the first things you can do in the game I don't think it merits a spoiler tag really.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

catlord posted:

Finished Thy Flesh Consumed, moving on to Doom 2. Those level designs, man. Some were pretty good, but some... God, what was it, House of Pain in Inferno? Hideous and terrible level design.

Thy Flesh Consumed is like one massive dick move, really. Doom II is so much better and more coherent.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Uh, it's called THE HOUSE OF PAIN for a reason.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Thy Flesh Consumed is like one massive dick move, really. Doom II is so much better and more coherent.

I love how, after all the dick moves, I finished off the Spider Mastermind in Thy Flesh Consumed super easy. He got caught up infighting a Baron of Hell, and you only need three BFG blasts to take him down. The first time I died in Inferno was to the Spider Mastermind, I was expecting a tougher fight.

Kazvall posted:

Looking at that level is like driving needles into my eye.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

catlord posted:

I finished off the Spider Mastermind ... and you only need three BFG blasts to take him down.
If you get close enough to him then one BFG shot should be enough. :science:

Or is it her? I've heard people refer to spider masterminds as "her" a lot. I know the original manual refers to her as mommy in some form.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've always thought of the Spider Mastermind as a "her." It's actually really strange to see somebody refer to her as a "him."

Source: Doom II manual.

Kins, could you update the OP to provide links to the "Zandronum" engine? It's a stupid goddamned name and after we stopped talking about it, I had completely forgotten what it was called. It might save people some grief trying to Google a misspelled bullshit word.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 29, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

Doom II is so much better and more coherent.

I find it difficult to believe someone actually said this with sincerity.

Kazvall posted:

Inferno is the best episode with the best levels :colbert:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Compared to Thy Flesh Consumed? Yeah, D2 is a hell of a lot better.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

Some of the city levels are a bit 'eh', but on the whole, it's better.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hammsturabi posted:

And yea, it's full of dick moves. You can skip a large portion of the game depending on a choice you make near the middle (I won't spoil it, but let's just say the game earned it's tagline "Trust no one"). And I'm not talking Super Mario style "congratulations you warp to World 4!" I mean you miss out on over an eighth of the game you wouldn't normally even know was there. This part of the game, and the early sidequest you mentioned, made me realize why the choices that, e.g., Deus Ex gives the player do not cause significant changes later in the game, and why the people complaining about that in Deus Ex don't know what they're talking about.

Eh, it's possible to introduce meaningful choices with significant consequences without making the player feel like they've been screwed out of a large chunk of the game or hosed over mechanically. Strife didn't manage it, and Deus Ex went too far in the opposite direction, but Alpha Protocol managed it admirably.

quote:

Strife is generally hard as the dickens, though. I never did pass the final boss. And I recall the other bosses being harder than anything in Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. Between this, the graphics, and the Sierra level of dickishness, I can see why this wasn't a best-seller. It's definitely a "gamer's game".

I've beaten Doom 1 and 2, Quake 1 and 2, Descent, and Blood legit. Strife? Forget it. I've never beaten it without cheating and I don't think I ever will.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I thought the graphics in Strife were pretty good, but didn't Quake come out the same year? The cut-scenes and voice.wad content were quite the addition to the old doom engine. I was waiting for some good Strife chat!

It came out in summer of 1996, so, some time after System Shock, Terra Nova, and Descent came out, so the graphics already didn't look that good; it also came out just before - as in less than a month before - Quake, which is probably the worst possible timing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kakumei posted:

Compared to Thy Flesh Consumed? Yeah, D2 is a hell of a lot better.

I guess. At best I would say they are equal, but I tend to enjoy even Thy Flesh Consumed more than Doom II. A lot of the levels in the sequel just feel like a chore.

Doom II managed to redeem its level design 15 years later with No Rest for the Living, however. That was pretty great.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Okay, jesus. Now I need to play Strife. Should I play it in a classic Doom style, or would mouse look ruin it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fren posted:

Okay, jesus. Now I need to play Strife. Should I play it in a classic Doom style, or would mouse look ruin it?

Mouselook doesn't ruin it at all. Throw that puppy into gzdoom and have at it.

Bear in mind that Strife's level numbering doesn't directly correspond to the order you visit the levels in, and consequently if you're using something like QLZD or ZDLSharp it has a tendency to drop you into the middle of the game. Select "new game" from the in-game menu once it loads.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Did they remove SiN from Steam?

VV I thought the first two, three maps were pretty bad, but the rest were pretty good, though E4M7 I think, wasn't too great.

catlord fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 29, 2012

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Thy Flesh Consumed, apart from map 1, is really goddamn good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

Did they remove SiN from Steam?

Yeah, I think they did... You can only get the recent 'Sin: Episodes' as a standalone now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

Doom II managed to redeem its level design 15 years later with No Rest for the Living, however. That was pretty great.

NRFTL is absolutely bonkers. That does make it pretty great.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Convex posted:

Yeah, I think they did... You can only get the recent 'Sin: Episodes' as a standalone now.

Dang that sucks. SiN is actually pretty fun and the Episode is just bleh.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

Dang that sucks. SiN is actually pretty fun and the Episode is just bleh.

Yeah, SiN was a bit of a legendary mess at launch, but after patches I honestly felt like it was a solid successor to Duke3D. I remember there being quite a few levels with multiple solutions, although it really didn't get up to speed until you started fighting less generic guys with guns, and more crazy cyborgs and monsters.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah there's a lot of different paths through the levels and the game. A few levels can end up entirely skipped if you do the right things in previous ones.

I think I had the game for like 4 years before I ever played one of the sewer levels, since there was stuff I unknowingly did in the previous levels every previous play through that removed that path.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Hammsturabi posted:

I love Strife. I discovered it a couple of years ago, expecting that its lack of fame was due to mediocrity, but man, that game was way ahead of its time in terms of gameplay.

I haven't played this game in more than 10 years and yet I had a dream featuring the punch dagger last month.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
Hey you! Do you want to play a terrible level that is basically a straight line full of enemies? Well, I have the level for you!

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16775 !

(All images shamelessly stolen from the /Newstuff review of it.)

In all seriousness, this is my first DooM2 map that I felt was at least passable quality for the internet, but if anyone plays it, don't expect too much.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Some dumb idiot posted:

In all seriousness, this is my first DooM2 map that I felt was at least passable quality for the internet, but if anyone plays it, don't expect too much.

Yeah, no offense but that opening definitely needed work. I played for about a minute and died to the waves of hitscanners with no health in sight after getting punked by the imps in the first room.

On another note - are there any other good megawads that came out recently? I'm just about to finish Plutonia Revisited - it was fairly decent but I liked Plutonia 2 a lot more. PR has some irritating switch hunts/awkward level progression and at least one where I ended up completely stuck and ended up warping to the next level. Not to mention, I'm tired of Caughtyard/Dead Simple-style maps at MAP07 - they rarely do anything really new. It does have a lot of good bits but I can't think of any levels that really stood out to me, either.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is sort of the unofficial Cult of Carmack thread, I hadn't seen this 20 minute interview with JC before; about head mount displays that he's hacked up and added some of his armadillo aerospace (rocket science!) technology to improve the motion sensor noise filtering, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYa8kirsUfg

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Encryptic posted:

On another note - are there any other good megawads that came out recently?

Have you played Reverie, Jenesis, or Doom 2 Unleashed? All those came out last year. I've only played some of Reverie so I don't know if the other two count as "good".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SavageMessiah posted:

Have you played Reverie, Jenesis, or Doom 2 Unleashed? All those came out last year. I've only played some of Reverie so I don't know if the other two count as "good".

I have played a lot of jenesis and I would consider it a pretty solid wad, with consistent themes. Definitely worth checking out if you need another 32 maps.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Hadlock posted:

This is sort of the unofficial Cult of Carmack thread, I hadn't seen this 20 minute interview with JC before; about head mount displays that he's hacked up and added some of his armadillo aerospace (rocket science!) technology to improve the motion sensor noise filtering, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYa8kirsUfg

Yeah Carmack is the first guy to ever actually make me want to use a VR display.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Encryptic posted:

On another note - are there any other good megawads that came out recently? I'm just about to finish Plutonia Revisited - it was fairly decent but I liked Plutonia 2 a lot more. PR has some irritating switch hunts/awkward level progression and at least one where I ended up completely stuck and ended up warping to the next level. Not to mention, I'm tired of Caughtyard/Dead Simple-style maps at MAP07 - they rarely do anything really new. It does have a lot of good bits but I can't think of any levels that really stood out to me, either.

Besides those already mentioned, I'd recommend the 1994 Tune-Up project (lots of phenomenal maps), Hell Awakened (probably on HMP, it's ridiculous on UV), and Doom Core (from the same author as Reverie). If you're into short, tough maps, KSSHT was pretty fun, and Base Ganymede from the same author is a good OG Doom megaWAD that avoids just rearranging the deck chairs of the good ship id. And DTWID, I guess, if you haven't played it yet. I preferred E2 and E3 to E1, though.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations. I started Jenesis this morning. I'd apparently already downloaded it based off the mention in last year's Doomworld Cacowards and it's a solid megawad so far after playing the first four levels. I'll snag the others for later as well.

Edit: Heh, I just witnessed the phenomenon (completely unintentional on my part) of getting a Revenant seeker fireball to orbit you. I was tempted to wait to see if it was in stable orbit or if it would have eventually spiraled in and hit me but I just ended up booking it around a corner and letting the fireball hit a wall somewhere after it lost track of me.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 2, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ZDoom has finally gotten its first stable non-SVN release in nearly two years. Version 2.6.0 is out now!

GZDoom will probably be a little longer due to trouble with updating the webpage.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Kins, could you update the OP to provide links to the "Zandronum" engine? It's a stupid goddamned name and after we stopped talking about it, I had completely forgotten what it was called. It might save people some grief trying to Google a misspelled bullshit word.
Done.

Also, what are the best options for patching up Thief Gold and 2 for modern systems. I got them on Steam recently, and I figure I should add proper info for them into the OP.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 2, 2012

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

ZDoom has finally gotten its first stable non-SVN release in nearly two years. Version 2.6.0 is out now!

GZDoom will probably be a little longer due to trouble with updating the webpage.
Done.

Also, what are the best options for patching up Thief Gold and 2 for modern systems. I got them on Steam recently, and I figure I should add proper info for them into the OP.

Taffer Patcher will cure what ails ye. And here's a Thief Gold edition too. They say 'sort of' on the page but I've been using it for ages and haven't had an issue.

edit: And I just feel like adding that to anyone who hasn't tried these games, you really should. They're nice and cheap on GoG and Steam now and you honestly won't find a more characterful, well designed and intriguing pure stealth game. The community is very much like Doom's as well, in that new maps are being made all the time.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 2, 2012

One Man Show
Jun 26, 2012
I can't help but think that the mechanics and story of ”The Binding of Isaac” would work as a custom Doom2 mod.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rather Dashing posted:

Taffer Patcher will cure what ails ye. And here's a Thief Gold edition too. They say 'sort of' on the page but I've been using it for ages and haven't had an issue.
Thanks. I'll throw those into the OP if I remember.

One Man Show posted:

I can't help but think that the mechanics and story of ”The Binding of Isaac” would work as a custom Doom2 mod.
I want to do something like this, but the official ZDoom/GZDoom builds will never, EVER support permadeath and/or saving non-savegame data in any form because one of the developers is weirdly stubborn about only supporting linear Doom-style games where you can save at any time. There are unofficial builds that offer this sort of thing, but it'd be a bit of a pain to force players to set up a whole new source port just for one mod.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

I want to do something like this, but the official ZDoom/GZDoom builds will never, EVER support permadeath and/or saving non-savegame data in any form because one of the developers is weirdly stubborn about only supporting linear Doom-style games where you can save at any time. There are unofficial builds that offer this sort of thing, but it'd be a bit of a pain to force players to set up a whole new source port just for one mod.

On the other hand, it's not unheard of for mod (especially TC) developers to just package the mod with the appropriate build of the engine; WGRealms and Attrition both do this, so you can just unzip and play rather than needing to figure out how to combine the mod with an eduke32 install.

I already play a lot of Doom Roguelike; I'd play the poo poo out of a Roguelike Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I can imagine playing DoomRL from a first person perspective in real time. It would probably be pretty fun even just as random squigglies. Basically OBLIGE with more gameplay depth to make up for the more boring levels. Trying to add in a little more structure to each level while still keeping the random geometry would also be amazing. Like Left4Dead but with a lot more randomization in the level design.