Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's probably 15 bucks more than you should be spending (each) but I haven't bought any in a while.

Make sure the cap is 1 3/16" before you order those, else you'll end up with the wrong joints. If your jeep is a 96 or later (sorry, forgot what you have) they're the right ones unless someone replaced an axle at some point - it's always best to just check both sides before buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Also can anyone recommend a good soft top for around town rain prevention that wont run my wallet into the ground?

Just don't want to have to gently caress with the hard top every time it's a nice day :(

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Been working on my xj.
I replaced the headliner - took around 3 hours.
Also I replaced all the interior lights with LEDs took about 5 minutes if that.

before

after

How did you do this? Brand new... or just some adhesive?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Digital_Jesus posted:

Also can anyone recommend a good soft top for around town rain prevention that wont run my wallet into the ground?

Just don't want to have to gently caress with the hard top every time it's a nice day :(

The Trektop NX is about half the price of the Supertop NX, if you can find it in stock. You can check craigslist and see if anyone's selling their factory hardware, too.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How did you do this? Brand new... or just some adhesive?

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/cherokee/
Really straight forward. Unscrew a bunch of screws around the trim, pull the headliner out through the back hatch, scrub and vacuum it. Then use spray glue and press on the new liner. Slide it back in, replace screws, and you're done. I ordered from them too. It was about $60.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

kastein posted:

July 4th is coming up, sooooooooooooo...

I felt I should take some pictures of the fleet.

Hmm. It feels like something is missing here.

Nice. You gonna drive that in a local 4th parade?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/cherokee/
Really straight forward. Unscrew a bunch of screws around the trim, pull the headliner out through the back hatch, scrub and vacuum it. Then use spray glue and press on the new liner. Slide it back in, replace screws, and you're done. I ordered from them too. It was about $60.

Awesome, I need to do this on my Range Rover, and I wanted to see how successful people are at doing it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Turn the cinder box so the hole is vertical and support the caliper instead of letting it dangle by the rubber line next time.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Turn the cinder box so the hole is vertical and support the caliper instead of letting it dangle by the rubber line next time.

Haha, you assume I know what a cinder box is!

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
Will LT 285 70 R17s be too much for a 3.21 6 speed Manual JK? I plan on re-gearing at some point but not any time soon. I want to know if these wheels will be serviceable in the meantime, without bogging the hell out of it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hey that pixeldecals place is pretty awesome. $7 for the set of blank button stickers and they don't even charge to ship it. Sweet.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I am going to put that 2.5L low output sticker on my 2.5L non-turbo subaru race car.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

Digital_Jesus posted:

Hey that pixeldecals place is pretty awesome. $7 for the set of blank button stickers and they don't even charge to ship it. Sweet.

Yeah I just ordered the Jeep Pinup decal. I cant wait any longer for it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

On Amazon or eBay you can get smittybily replacement tops for around $250. I've heard good enough things about them to not spend $500+ on something else. I have one to put on this weekend, I'll let you know how the quality seems.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Astonishing Wang posted:

On Amazon or eBay you can get smittybily replacement tops for around $250. I've heard good enough things about them to not spend $500+ on something else. I have one to put on this weekend, I'll let you know how the quality seems.

If I didnt have kid crusher bars, I would be all over getting a hardwareless top.

jcary1404
Jun 28, 2012
So I'm in the market for a used TJ. This will be my first foray into the world of jeeps. Any suggestions on a year? Are there many big differences between the early and later TJ's? And, if it matters, I'm leaning towards just a sport and work on it/upgrade it myself unless I can find an awesome deal on a Rubicon.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Bought a 1993 Grand Cherokee. My wallet hates me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Early or late build? 4.0 or 5.2? If you got a 4.0 early 93 there is a chance you have an AW4 transmission, which is the best auto they ever put in the ZJ IMO...

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

kastein posted:

Early or late build? 4.0 or 5.2? If you got a 4.0 early 93 there is a chance you have an AW4 transmission, which is the best auto they ever put in the ZJ IMO...
It's a 5.2. Bought it off the original owner. Rust free. I can get some pictures tomorrow.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

commissargribb posted:

If I didnt have kid crusher bars, I would be all over getting a hardwareless top.

Sorry, the one I was talking about is the top only, you need to have the factory hardware installed :/

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Going to look at a 1961 CJ5 tomorrow:

Seller claims it's in good shape but who knows what that means. For a weekend toy it looks like a (cheap) good time - anything in particular I should look for? It's a 4cyl.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

ethanol posted:

Well it was 3 inches but I put in bilstein 5100 shocks two weeks ago and unless my imagination is loving with me, my jeep appears to be an inch or two lower now. Which had been perplexing me. Do you think this is related?

Here, you can clearly see, the front is farther left by full tread line.

Yeah, that's normal with a lift. You can compensate for that with an adjustable track bar or a track bar drop. If you use a longer track bar, try to adjust the drag link by the same difference in track bar length; likewise, if you use a track bar drop, you should use a drop pitman arm to compensate for bump-steer.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't understand why the front is so far off. I just had the thing aligned last week. Before that I did swap the axles, and put new shocks on. But I'm pretty sure it was put on straight. Then I had it aligned. I didn't notice this for a good week after a wheel alignment. It seems either the alignment shop missed this or didn't feel like informing me. I really think I would have noticed it was like that right after the alignment though which leads me to believe it took a few weeks to get that way. How is this possible? As far as I know, I did not alter the lift!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's not something that can be aligned on a factory track bar, man. They're a solid steel bar with a bushing sleeve at one end and a balljoint/TRE at the other, no way to adjust it. Via simple trigonometry you can see that when you lift the vehicle, the effective "ground length" of the track bar will be reduced, dragging the axle over toward the driver side a bit. They aligned it I'm sure, which on a TJ just means setting the caster using the cam bolts in the LCAs, the toe using the tie rod, the steering wheel center using the drag link, then rechecking to make sure the drag link change didn't affect the toe setting (since they're somewhat inter-related.)

This diagram shows an adjustable track bar - I've never seen one from the factory, so it's probably an aftermarket.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

That's not something that can be aligned on a factory track bar, man. They're a solid steel bar with a bushing sleeve at one end and a balljoint/TRE at the other, no way to adjust it. Via simple trigonometry you can see that when you lift the vehicle, the effective "ground length" of the track bar will be reduced, dragging the axle over toward the driver side a bit. They aligned it I'm sure, which on a TJ just means setting the caster using the cam bolts in the LCAs, the toe using the tie rod, the steering wheel center using the drag link, then rechecking to make sure the drag link change didn't affect the toe setting (since they're somewhat inter-related.)

This diagram shows an adjustable track bar - I've never seen one from the factory, so it's probably an aftermarket.

Since he has JKS quick disconnects, it's probably aftermarket.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Tremek posted:

Going to look at a 1961 CJ5 tomorrow:

Welp, that was an experience. It was in decent shape but jesus gently caress that is not a vehicle for even casual or strictly home-to-trails use on modern roads of any kind. Good learning experience though, thinking a TJ or an XJ is more my speed.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
WELP.

Not sure when this happened.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

jcary1404 posted:

So I'm in the market for a used TJ. This will be my first foray into the world of jeeps. Any suggestions on a year? Are there many big differences between the early and later TJ's? And, if it matters, I'm leaning towards just a sport and work on it/upgrade it myself unless I can find an awesome deal on a Rubicon.

Stay away from '05 and '06. Long story short, they have a severely defective part that may or may not cause thousands of dollars of damage and dealer sourced and installed replacements may or may not also self detonate later on.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

grnberet2b posted:

Stay away from '05 and '06. Long story short, they have a severely defective part that may or may not cause thousands of dollars of damage and dealer sourced and installed replacements may or may not also self detonate later on.

Avoid the 2000 TJ's also, unless you can verify that the head is not from casting 0331.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Wtf? Never seen that happen. Is the nut still on the mount or did it come off? Did the eye break off the shock? I can't quite tell what is going on there.

I got an engine stand yesterday so I can start reassembling the 4.0 for my generator project soon.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

kastein posted:

Wtf? Never seen that happen. Is the nut still on the mount or did it come off? Did the eye break off the shock? I can't quite tell what is going on there.

I got an engine stand yesterday so I can start reassembling the 4.0 for my generator project soon.

A 4.0 as a generator? Talk about the most ineffective generator ever. Why not a Turbo 4 cylinder? Even better, a turbo 4 cylinder diesel.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

The nut and everything is still firmly attached to the mount. The mount broke free from the frame and fell off.

Gonna need another mount I'm guessing. :froggonk:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56000_0002.htm

Tremek posted:

Welp, that was an experience. It was in decent shape but jesus gently caress that is not a vehicle for even casual or strictly home-to-trails use on modern roads of any kind. Good learning experience though, thinking a TJ or an XJ is more my speed.

I would still DD the hell out of that during the summer. Unless he did something like weld the rear diff.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 1, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Steiler Drep posted:

A 4.0 as a generator? Talk about the most ineffective generator ever. Why not a Turbo 4 cylinder? Even better, a turbo 4 cylinder diesel.

Yes, and I have the motor already, it cost me nothing, I have 3 vehicles to pull spare parts off of, I can diagnose and repair it in my sleep, and it'll run for maybe 5 hours a year average.

It will also heat the house (power usually goes out in winter in my area.)

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
^^Oh then I guess it's a sound decision. Are you keeping the injection or carbureting it?

commissargribb posted:

I would still DD the hell out of that during the summer. Unless he did something like weld the rear diff.

I've been into the Jeep community for about 3-4 years and have seen people weld their diffs. Is the objective just to permanently lock their diffs?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Keeping the FI. I have a full 94 xj harness I will be cutting up and customizing.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Steiler Drep posted:

^^Oh then I guess it's a sound decision. Are you keeping the injection or carbureting it?

if he was going to carb it, he'd probably be better off with just taking my 4.2 once I pull it from my YJ.

Steiler Drep posted:

I've been into the Jeep community for about 3-4 years and have seen people weld their diffs. Is the objective just to permanently lock their diffs?

basically.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
What I wouldn't give to drop a 4.0 into the volvo. :(

My Cherokee is starting to develop a death wobble. this is unpleasant. going to try replacing the steering stabilizer first, but if that doesn't fix it, anyone know where to look first?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Doccers posted:

My Cherokee is starting to develop a death wobble. this is unpleasant. going to try replacing the steering stabilizer first, but if that doesn't fix it, anyone know where to look first?

A steering stabilizer wont fix death wobble. If anything it might make it less noticeable.

Why would you want to put a 4.0 in the Volvo? Wouldn't you rather a small diesel?

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Doccers posted:

My wrangler sat for 12 months while I was deployed and had flat spots on the tires. Mechanic said they were shaped "like footballs".

e: speeling no good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

piss boner posted:

My wrangler sat for 12 months while I was deployed and had flat spots on the tires. Mechanic said they were shaped "like footballs".

e: speeling no good

My wrangler essentially sat for 2 years at my parents' house while I was active duty and somehow the tires managed to go for another 3 years after I moved back and drove them semi-regularly.