Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

sanchez posted:

I sold my Evo on ebay running cynanogen and the recipient is claiming sprint won't activate it. Activating ebay phones I've bought involved calling sprint, giving them the ESN and that was it. What could be the problem here? If he's going to a store for some reason will they notice sense is missing and become unhelpful?

Some stores, yes. Also, I think some of the ## codes don't work without the sense dialer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

sanchez posted:

I sold my Evo on ebay running cynanogen and the recipient is claiming sprint won't activate it. Activating ebay phones I've bought involved calling sprint, giving them the ESN and that was it. What could be the problem here? If he's going to a store for some reason will they notice sense is missing and become unhelpful?

You should ask him for more info. Do they say the esn cannot be attached to an account, or will it not provision once attached to the account.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Giblet posted:

You should ask him for more info. Do they say the esn cannot be attached to an account, or will it not provision once attached to the account.

Communication has not been clear "Sprint cannot connect my number to the phone cause of some program that's. Installed in there" and "But they. Said it was modded " is all I have. I've suggested he call instead of going to a store and give them the ESN/MEID, hopefully that works. I should have just returned the phone for a bill credit.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

sanchez posted:

Communication has not been clear "Sprint cannot connect my number to the phone cause of some program that's. Installed in there" and "But they. Said it was modded " is all I have. I've suggested he call instead of going to a store and give them the ESN/MEID, hopefully that works. I should have just returned the phone for a bill credit.

It sounds like what grumpy wagon said. They are likely trying to manually program it and the ## codes needed to do so don't work.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I'm getting an Evo LTE today. Is there a decent third party rom for it yet? (I looked at the XDA forum and the only one that doesn't seem ricey and terrible is Fresh rom. Anyone have any experience with it?) Or, should I just root it and apply the multitasking fix and keep it stock until MIUI/CM show up?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

sanchez posted:

Either he or you is going to have to put the stock rom back on it.

When I got the EvoLTE I gave my old Evo to my wife, and I was unable to get the phone transfer to work online (it's always worked fine in the past). When I called in to have them do it, none of their ## codes were working and they flagged the ESN on the phone. So I had to unroot, put a stock rom on, and take it in store to have it done.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

As a former Tennessee friend, I was in Nashville for the wimax rollout. And basically, they hit the city plus surrounding suburbs, wimax in Nashville goes as far east as I think LaVergne for instance.

Is it a good sign that an unofficial WiMax area is slowly expanding? It started out basically around a shopping center about a year ago, and now it's spread out to about 10 miles from start to finish in one direction, the other I can't really tell, but it's probably 4 miles east of the original one as of maybe a month ago.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

cc posted:

I'm getting an Evo LTE today. Is there a decent third party rom for it yet? (I looked at the XDA forum and the only one that doesn't seem ricey and terrible is Fresh rom. Anyone have any experience with it?) Or, should I just root it and apply the multitasking fix and keep it stock until MIUI/CM show up?

I've been using Fresh for the past several days and have been happy with it. No downsides that I've run across. Would be curious if there's a clear winner though, trying to figure out what's good from XDA is a frustrating experience.

I just went with Fresh because I had good memories of it on my EVO 4G before switching to Cyanogenmod.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

Is it a good sign that an unofficial WiMax area is slowly expanding? It started out basically around a shopping center about a year ago, and now it's spread out to about 10 miles from start to finish in one direction, the other I can't really tell, but it's probably 4 miles east of the original one as of maybe a month ago.

Doesn't mean anything beyond meeting legal obligations so they don't lose the spectrum.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

uapyro posted:

What kind of good sign would that be? They don't even make WiMax phones anymore. If anything, it would be a very confusing sign.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
July 15th: sprint LTE goes live for Atlanta, Dallas, Houston Kansas city and San antonio.

I am in Dallas July 14-16th. 2 days of LTE goodness with any luck.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Where does New York fall on that list?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

blargle posted:

Where does New York fall on that list?

Not on it. No eta for anyone else.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

July 15th: sprint LTE goes live for Atlanta, Dallas, Houston Kansas city and San antonio.

I am in Dallas July 14-16th. 2 days of LTE goodness with any luck.
Is there a map or any way to tell what "Houston" is? I'm in the suburbs and have a phone upgrade available, and I'd be interested if it will get up to where I'm at.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Is there a map or any way to tell what "Houston" is? I'm in the suburbs and have a phone upgrade available, and I'd be interested if it will get up to where I'm at.
http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-263-houston-network-visionlte-deployment-schedule-update/
Yellow locations on July 15th. Green locations on Network Vision upgrade completion.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 28, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Good news guys! That year old Evo 3D, that is actually a powerful and great piece of hardware, will be two OS versions behind (Officially.) :smith:

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Really great info. Local question, but have you heard anything on the Philly market? The only thing I heard was an ETA of 100% completion a year from now, and it was vague.

Philly is in the second round. Current scheduled start is unknown but they are ramping up concurrently so I would guess it begins before the end of the year.

NYC has 3% sites complete, anticipated launch is November this year and complete may 2013.

For reference DFW is launching next month and has 7% of towers marked complete right now. I expect that number to jump like crazy over the next few weeks.

Still a small chance that Sprint allows towers to stay live once upgraded instead of turning off LTE until launch but who knows.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

spidoman posted:

Good news guys! That year old Evo LTE, that is actually a powerful and great piece of hardware, will be two OS versions behind (Officially.) :smith:

Look, a post from June 2013!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

spidoman posted:

Good news guys! That year old Evo 3D, that is actually a powerful and great piece of hardware, will be two OS versions behind (Officially.) :smith:

Funny thing my wife has no idea. So I guess it is better not knowing sometimes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

spidoman posted:

I kind of hope this happens just so I can bitch, but I think the E3D will get ICS before JB officially comes out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'll be sure to let everyone know how great it is when my Galaxy NEXUS :smug: gets it next month/August.

E:

nate fisher posted:

Funny thing my wife has no idea. So I guess it is better not knowing sometimes.

Well to be honest it's going to look drat near identical with Sense slapped over it.

A consistent experience is a big selling point of Sense devices.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 28, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

I'll be sure to let everyone know how great it is when my Galaxy NEXUS :smug: gets it next month/August.

Don't....loving.....jinx....it....

And I got my girl the Galaxy nexus (she had a 3D) and she still complains about not having recent apps in the notification shade and other such sense nonsense :(

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Duckman2008 posted:

Don't....loving.....jinx....it....

And I got my girl the Galaxy nexus (she had a 3D) and she still complains about not having recent apps in the notification shade and other such sense nonsense :(

If only there was a whole loving dedicated button for switching apps...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

If only there was a whole loving dedicated button for switching apps...

Yeah, you try telling her that. I can't give you a why answer, but people get set in their ways.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

I just cracked my Nexus S 4G screen... I don't have insurance, but can I take this in to a Sprint store for a relatively cheap replacement? I seem to remember them doing stuff like this for around $35.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Galaxy Nexus users: Somebody already hacked up the JB release from IO yesterday to run on the toroplus. I just installed it, so I have no idea whether anything's broken other than MMS, but it's incredibly smooth so far.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
More TEP fuckups: the proximity sensor died on my wife's epic 4g today. Took it to the repair center, where they replaced the screen. Now the sensor works, but the new screen fits so poorly it rattles when closed. And they didn't have another screen to swap, so they told me we have to live with it.

What will go wrong next with this poo poo? What the gently caress am I paying for? I'm beyond pissed at this point, I just want to warn everyone TEP is not worth it anymore.

1 month until upgrades. Still looking at iPhone, unless something decent shows up for android.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

bigpolar posted:

More TEP fuckups: the proximity sensor died on my wife's epic 4g today. Took it to the repair center, where they replaced the screen. Now the sensor works, but the new screen fits so poorly it rattles when closed. And they didn't have another screen to swap, so they told me we have to live with it.

What will go wrong next with this poo poo? What the gently caress am I paying for? I'm beyond pissed at this point, I just want to warn everyone TEP is not worth it anymore.

1 month until upgrades. Still looking at iPhone, unless something decent shows up for android.

New parts for the epic 4G no longer exist. They only have refurbished parts left.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I get an upgrade on Sunday, and it's the day the S3 comes out. I've been torn between it and the Nexus; I know the hardware difference between the two phones, but what's the deal with the OS upgrades? I'm not really sure what that means since I've never had a smartphone before (I'm replacing an LG Remarq).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Concurred posted:

I get an upgrade on Sunday, and it's the day the S3 comes out. I've been torn between it and the Nexus; I know the hardware difference between the two phones, but what's the deal with the OS upgrades? I'm not really sure what that means since I've never had a smartphone before (I'm replacing an LG Remarq).

Some relevant quotes from the recommend a phone thread:

kalibar posted:

Everyone who doesn't intend to root/ROM/sperg/nerd their phones should just skip the domestic Galaxy S III's, period. Samsung shitfingered it just like they do all of their phones, and there's no planet where TouchWiz is a better experience than AOSP. Yeah, the GS3's chip is a tad quicker than the Galaxy Nexus's, but the GNex isn't exactly slow -- and the HSPA+ version should do alright on battery life (don't tell the RAZR crew, but even the LTE version isn't unbearable with the extended battery).

I dislike the HTC One X a lot. The screen looks great -- though I'm in BLarg!'s camp, I prefer AMOLED -- but the combination of more terrible Sense UI, more Beats branding, and a dogshit DAC (even though the "lesser" One S has a very good one) makes it a pretty insufferable product overall.

I'm a big fan of the international GS III since it's got the quadcore Exynos, the Wolfson DAC, and already has CyanogenMod support. But all the same, you really hate to see these guys get rewarded at all for crapping all over Android. The Galaxy Nexus is priced aggressively and it's still highly relevant. It's the best of Samsung's hardware (at the time of its release) coupled with Google's support. It is literally the model for how Android phones should be built and brought to market. Everytime we buy some locked bootloader flashy piece-of-dogshit-of-the-week (GS III, One X, RAZR/RAZR Maxx/RAZR HD, etc), we're basically saying "hey could you guys keep dumping resources into badly skinning this perfectly-functional operating system thanks."

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Of the three Android devices, the Galaxy Nexus is the one folks here will recommend, and rightly so. The big reason is that Android is amid some flux right now where new OS versions keep adding useful and compelling features, and GSM Nexus devices are the only ones to guarantee getting OS updates timely.

The One X and Galaxy S3 are actually more similar to each other than they are different. Both represent a bit of a hardware upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus, and support AT&T's LTE service. However most folks here would recommend (and I agree) that the hardware benefits to these two devices aren't worth the suboptimal software situation with them, which is that they'll get OS updates much later than the Nexus. Also, historically, HTC and Samsung devices have been a bit buggy, especially compared to iPhones.

kalibar posted:

Are you guys ready to dance this dance all over again?

Basically the next ten pages are going to people asking when (insert carrier)'s Galaxy S III variants or random Motorola derivatives of the week will get Jelly Bean.

It's not like they only release a Nexus device every 5 years. Seriously, just bypass the headaches, the shitware, and the financial rewards for OEMs who think writing overlay skins for Android is a good use of resources. If you want an Android phone, get a Galaxy Nexus. If you want something better than a Galaxy Nexus, wait to buy your phone until the next Nexus phone.

Basically, get the Nexus.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So there is a theory going around work right now. Take it as is.

Sprint is transitioning Nextel customers and made many eligible to upgrade early.

for The few that were not made eligible, sprint is pushing through the system on July 3rd to make ANY line with a Nextel device eligible.

Therefore, in theory, if you have a Nextel device on your account before July 3rd, you would basically get an upgrade regardless of contract.

I have placed a Nextel on my personal line, doesn't bother me to try it. Again, a theory, nothing definitive at all, but worth a try.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Concurred posted:

I've been torn between it and the Nexus; I know the hardware difference between the two phones, but what's the deal with the OS upgrades?
Officially the Galaxy Nexus will be seeing more, and sooner OS updates than the SGS3. The SGS3 is Samsung's fourth flagship (if we count the Moment as a flagship, third otherwise) phone on Sprint and, well, the combination of Samsung+Sprint doesn't yield timely updates. Here's a few examples:
  • The Epic (SGSI) was released in August 2010 with Android 2.1, three months after Android 2.2 came out in May.
  • The Epic's Android 2.2 update was initially released in February 2011, nine months after 2.2's upstream release. It also contained a fatal bug and the update was pulled and wasn't rereleased until late March. Oh, and in the meantime Android 2.3 had been out for three months also.
  • The Epic's Android 2.3 update came out in November 2011, 11 months after 2.3's upstream release. It's also notable that Android 4.0 was released this same month, an update that the original Epic will not receive even though the Nexus S, which is nearly identical hardware, does run it.
  • The Epic 4G Touch (SGS2) was released in September 2011 with Android 2.3, which at the time was the latest version (yay!), but it's still awaiting it's Android 4.0 update as of today, seven months after its release.

Now, despite all that, I'm actually very much leaning towards picking up an SGS3 myself, but that's in spite of the official update situation with it. If you're a first-time smartphone purchaser and concerned about timely OS updates, I definitely recommend hedging your bets on the Galaxy Nexus.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I don't really know anything about timely OS updates at all! I mean I get that the Android / iOS / Windows Mango systems are all different but are we talking full fledged OS updates or just kind of patches? I don't really know how else to put it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
On Android devices there's two kinds of updates. The first are relatively-major OS updates that come as a function of Google releasing a new version of Android. These updates often add significant new features that introduce compatibility issues whereby some new apps won't run, or won't run as well on older versions of Android--so generally folks really want to get these updates. The second kind are minor device-specific updates to fix/patch the bugs that always ship on new devices, or after a major OS update.

Honestly, non-Nexus devices (like HTC and Samsung) often fail on both kinds. Google develops new versions of Android for Nexus devices, and it's up to third-party OEMs to port them to their own devices (Evo LTE, SGS3, etc.). Depending on the size/significance of the update, it can take months, many months for these to be released for third-party devices.

And even minor updates take stupidly long. Every phone (including Nexus devices) are released with bugs. The problem is that Nexus devices generally (Verizon Galaxy Nexus aside) get fixes for these bugs relatively quickly, but the recent trend for third-party devices is to have to wait 1-3 months for an update to come out that fixes whatever issues crop is. Worse, even if your phone runs fine today, a major update might be released for it that actually introduces new bugs, and then you have to wait 1-3 months for those to get fixed. Frankly it's inexcusable.

The iPhone doesn't really have the above problem. Apple is in full control of the iPhone hardware and OS, and since they release one iPhone a year, they're pretty darn good of providing updates reasonably quickly, and supporting older devices for at least a few years.

As for Windows Phone, I'm not really sure what to say, other than Windows 8 won't run on any Windows Phone 7 device. Between that and it's status as the third-place platform, I don't really find them to be a compelling purchase. That said, folk who own Windows Phones seem to like them?

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 29, 2012

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Don't forget that with the Android phones, carriers also have to give the ports of Nexus software their approval - often with their own added bloatware and bullshit. Not sure if Galaxy Nexus have any of this... I've been pretty happy with how de-bloated the Evo LTE is compared to my Evo 4G. That said, who knows when I'll get Jelly Bean without rooting. On the Evo 4G at least, I was ok with waiting until official updates to Froyo and Gingerbread (though I got rooted versions of those official updates).

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

Don't forget that with the Android phones, carriers also have to give the ports of Nexus software their approval - often with their own added bloatware and bullshit. Not sure if Galaxy Nexus have any of this... I've been pretty happy with how de-bloated the Evo LTE is compared to my Evo 4G. That said, who knows when I'll get Jelly Bean without rooting. On the Evo 4G at least, I was ok with waiting until official updates to Froyo and Gingerbread (though I got rooted versions of those official updates).

This is not the case for the GSM Galaxy Nexus, as it is not tied to any carrier. The Verizon and Sprint versions still have the carrier approval process.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There is extremely strong evidence that the 4.0.4 delays for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus were do to radio firmware from Samsung rather than Verizon holding on to an update. The update that went out was only around 2 weeks old by the time it started rolling out.

If no radio issues pop up for JB, I don't anticipate it taking long to come out on Verizon.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Concurred posted:

I don't really know anything about timely OS updates at all! I mean I get that the Android / iOS / Windows Mango systems are all different but are we talking full fledged OS updates or just kind of patches? I don't really know how else to put it

Honestly I use to be a big Android fanboy, but I really love the iPhone. No real issues with it (no phone is perfect), and I easily jail broke mine to get some of the things I was missing from Android. Only small issue is the smaller screen but I now prefer a smaller phone (4 inch screen I think is the perfect size). I have shared in many of the issues other Android user have (and I'm still sharing those issues on my other lines). If the new iPhone turns out to have a 4 inch screen it will be heaven for me.

Still that said the basic user cannot really go wrong with one of the top of line Android phones (Nexus, EVO LTE, SG3) or iPhone. We can can argue about issues with all of them, but in the end I really don't think you will regret your purchase. Still I am pissed about the EVO 3D.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I swear, my local Sprint Shack is completely worthless. Not corporate, but with repair center designation. Just got my GNex in, second day of being active and the battery freaks the hell out when on 3G (but not while on the charger) and gets hot enough that you can feel it through the front of the screen.

I go there and tell them I just got it in, activated it two days ago, and I have a bum battery.

"Then take it back to where you got it."
"It was shipped to me."
"You have 14 days from when you got the phone to take it back."

This isn't the first time this has happened at that location. Ergh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

I swear, my local Sprint Shack is completely worthless. Not corporate, but with repair center designation. Just got my GNex in, second day of being active and the battery freaks the hell out when on 3G (but not while on the charger) and gets hot enough that you can feel it through the front of the screen.

I go there and tell them I just got it in, activated it two days ago, and I have a bum battery.

"Then take it back to where you got it."
"It was shipped to me."
"You have 14 days from when you got the phone to take it back."

This isn't the first time this has happened at that location. Ergh.

If its within 14 days you have to go back through whom you got it from. This isn't a matterof them being dicks, it's a matter of your return policy allows you to exchange for a new phone. And since they didn't own the inventory being sold to you, they can't exchange it. Their only option is to order a refurbished phone.