Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I assumed part of the joke of B1-Bro was that he was like 20ish when Dave landed, and 33ish when the comic started, and he still dressed like a bro and white-guy rapped and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

JT Jag posted:

I'm pretty sure Bro was in his late 20s or maybe even early 30s by the time the comic started. He was probably around 16 or something when he found Dave. He didn't look like Dirk because Andrew Hussie isn't entirely omniscient and hadn't thought of the idea of Dirk at that point.

I'm not sure whether or not the part where all the guardians find their respective Kid was before or after the John ecto-biology thing, but Hussie has said himself that the earliest point in the story where you could have guessed about the whole 'kids switching places with guardians' thing was when all the ecto-babies appeared. That or John's talk with Nanna.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the official word was that Bro was 31 when Homestuck happened, making him 18 when a meteor full of baby destroyed his favorite store.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People in Homestuck probably instantly upgrade to an adult sprite at age 18.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I always figured you'd buy one when you get a driver's license, or they come with your diploma or something.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JT Jag posted:

I'm pretty sure Bro was in his late 20s or maybe even early 30s by the time the comic started. He was probably around 16 or something when he found Dave. He didn't look like Dirk because Andrew Hussie isn't entirely omniscient and hadn't thought of the idea of Dirk at that point.

Actually, that's exactly when he came up with the idea for Dirk. :v:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So wasn't john and jade going to reach the new session first? And that they needed a deeded dreamer to help lead the others out of the furthest ring? I'm pretty positive that's the case as I've been rereading homestuck with my little bro to get him up to date.

Well guys there's your dreamers.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Guys, Dirk just kidnapped Serenity. Look at the flash again.

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Who/what is the significance of Serenity again, I forgot that thing even had a name.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

So wasn't john and jade going to reach the new session first? And that they needed a deeded dreamer to help lead the others out of the furthest ring? I'm pretty positive that's the case as I've been rereading homestuck with my little bro to get him up to date.

Well guys there's your dreamers.

I...don't remember any of this? As far as I remember, both the Asteroid Crew and the Battleship Crew were going to take a little under 3 years to get to B2. (So that they'd be the same age as the B2 Crew)

I could just be forgetting something, I admit.

Norton Ghostride posted:

Who/what is the significance of Serenity again, I forgot that thing even had a name.

No idea if she has any significance or not.

If pumpkins become a Thing and not just a background joke, her ability to lift a pumpkin seed might come into play. ahpoordogsbody has been obsessing about that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Alleged ability, I don't think she's ever actually been depicted carrying one.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Norton Ghostride posted:

WV's little firefly buddy, hasn't played a big role (yet). No idea whether there's any significance to her still being on Roxy's head in the flash. I don't put it past Hussie to somehow make Serenity's departure from the meteor/trip through space to Derse with Roxy and Dirk an important Thing later on. Why would he include it otherwise? Straight up Chekhov's Serenity (or an oversight, but that seems less likely).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

JT Jag posted:

Alleged ability, I don't think she's ever actually been depicted carrying one.

All things alleged are facts in the making in Homestuck. No book's cat-slaying ability will go untested.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Dolash posted:

All things alleged are facts in the making in Homestuck. No book's cat-slaying ability will go untested.

Nor any cool kid's ability to perform an acrobatic loving pirouette off a handle.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dolash posted:

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Nor any cool kid's ability to perform an acrobatic loving pirouette off a handle.

Jon Joe posted:

Nah that's too illogical for Homestuck.

(As in, there are absolutely zero previous references to suggest it, which is a pretty good measure by which one can tell the probability that an event will occur in the story)

Here, have a graph.

A thing is referenced once or twice and it's unmitigated fact that it's gonna happen (bleating like a goat). But reference it 20 times without producing absolute evidence of it being true and it's just Hussie loving with the fans (uu and UU being trolls).

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

We need to talk about Dave. Look at that face he's making. The coolkid veneer has broken. He's not even hiding it, like when he was mourning Bro and laid face-down on the ground so Terezi couldn't see him freaking out.

This Dave is capable of anything. Or nothing.

I would be equally unsurprised if the following panel is Dave:
- Shrugging and going back to what he was doing.
- Yelling out expletives at the departing Dirk.
- Breaking down crying.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bobulus posted:

- Breaking down crying.
My money is on fainting.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Bobulus posted:

- Breaking down crying.

DAVE: whos that douchebag

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Frame pans back to all of the characters on the meteor. It's still close enough to Dave that you can still see his nonplussed face, but now it has a tiny red questionmark constantly flashing over it.

Cut to new scene.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Hahaha, Dante Basco has finally reached the moment in Homestuck where Andrew kisses Rufio. The best part is he also reached this point while being drunk.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Boneless Jogger posted:

Hahaha, Dante Basco has finally reached the moment in Homestuck where Andrew kisses Rufio. The best part is he also reached this point while being drunk.

And now for Nic Cage.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Boneless Jogger posted:

Yesssssssssssss.

This is the best possible reaction.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Ahaha I've been counting down the days til he got to that page. So worth it.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Beautiful.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

DAVE: whos that douchebag

You joke, but past events clearly suggest that Dave does have some sort of problem with figuring out when he's looking at family. :v:

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
^^^^^

I know you're joking, but he does know who Roxy is now, and he certainly recognizes those shades. I seriously doubt he doesn't know who it is.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Does Dave understand the whole scratch-reset concept well enough to understand that that isn't simply his Bro when he was younger but rather a whole separate person who grew up in a different universe? Rose seems to understand it and John doesn't (or at least doesn't fully grasp it), but Dave may not have been paying close enough attention.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dolash posted:

Does Dave understand the whole scratch-reset concept well enough to understand that that isn't simply his Bro when he was younger but rather a whole separate person who grew up in a different universe? Rose seems to understand it and John doesn't (or at least doesn't fully grasp it), but Dave may not have been paying close enough attention.

Does the fully realized knight of time know he hasn't time traveled? Really? Especially after the whole fish Hitler sidetrack?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I think Dave's more freaked out that he's meeting his alternate bro on an equal level now. His bro was an adult/guardian and thus could reach higher levels of irony than a 13 year old Dave was capable of. Now he's got a chance to meet Dirk on equal footing and he's gotta prove he can hang with him.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

creationist believer posted:

I think Dave's more freaked out that he's meeting his alternate bro on an equal level now. His bro was an adult/guardian and thus could reach higher levels of irony than a 13 year old Dave was capable of. Now he's got a chance to meet Dirk on equal footing and he's gotta prove he can hang with him.

I don't know, his Bro is basically his dad and he just saw dad take mom and go save the day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So someone on the MSPA forums just finished conducting a big number-crunching exercise on Homestuck. Results are posted here. Apparently, after adjusting for inflation flash/word equivalency, Homestuck is just shy of the King James Bible in word count. There's other neat stuff too, so I thought I'd post it here.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
God that EoA6A3 flash is so close I just know it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

We need some resolution in the dream bubble so the meteor folks can be on their merry way, otherwise we won't be getting Year Two until the next intermission.

Year Two - John, Jade, and Davesprite have all lost their minds, whilst Kanaya has finally succumbed to thirst for blood of many colors (specifically, candy red and teal, the other colors along with purple still elude her).

EDIT: I honestly expected UU's eyes to snap open red. That pause doesn't help.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 30, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I know it was a fake edit but that one where Calli's head spins around to be UU's would be so perfect.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Color Printer posted:

EDIT: I honestly expected UU's eyes to snap open red. That pause doesn't help.

That'll be the next update, "UU: Wake"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kudos to whoever it was accurately predicted their exact method of shackle one foot -> sleep -> unshackle other foot.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Fucknag posted:

So someone on the MSPA forums just finished conducting a big number-crunching exercise on Homestuck. Results are posted here. Apparently, after adjusting for inflation flash/word equivalency, Homestuck is just shy of the King James Bible in word count. There's other neat stuff too, so I thought I'd post it here.

That's really appropriate since Hussie said that his original idea for Homestuck was to create the most ridiculous convoluted origin mythos of the world. Starting with "the universe is in the belly of a giant frog" and working backward.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I wonder why Hussie is showing Calliope going to sleep after showing uu gloat over the kids.

MariusMS
Jan 26, 2006

Who's laughing now?
Clapping Larry
In the choose your kids animation with uu in the background, Hussie cut and framed it just below where the cheek spirals would be. In a human we would call what they are doing a mental disease, but we just sort of take it at face value that they really are completely different personalities and people, because they say so and because of the dreamselves. I'm wondering if the truth is closer to Tyler Durden than what we've been led to believe from the most classically archetyped unreliable narrator..the crazy person.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel the answer to that question hinges entirely on whether or not Tyler Durden would have warranted a dreamself independent of Fight Club's narrator. He did have chronic sleeping problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Can't leave the bubble! I guess this copy of Dirk still operates under dead dreamself rules even though technically what he is is an imaginary brain-ghost taken over by the real thing because his Earth and Derse selves only have one consciousness between them so when one gets knocked out both go down and there's nowhere else for them to dream? Something like that.