Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

velocross posted:

Has it been sitting a while? I'd clean the carb and go from there. Spark plug in good shape? Airfilter dirty?

Spark plug was changed, the shop cleaned out the carb, and I cleaned the airfilter as well. It was running worse before they had it, so they DID do stuff, it's just the top speed is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

TwystNeko posted:

Spark plug was changed, the shop cleaned out the carb, and I cleaned the airfilter as well. It was running worse before they had it, so they DID do stuff, it's just the top speed is terrible.

Could be a CVT issue instead of an engine issue. Slipping/worn belt, clutch not engaging fully, something like that. I don't know CVTs well enough to help more than that, though, sorry. Do you have an actual scooter shop in your area, not just an engine shop?

I'd also suggest running through this handy list at 2strokebuzz covering factors affecting top speed (and gas mileage). Especially tire pressure.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

TwystNeko posted:

I bet it's the roller weights just replace them, use a precision scale to weight them and buy the stock weights and also a set of roller 2gr lighter than stock ones and try them first, usually on stock engines by lowering roller weights you can gain a bunch of acceleration without losing any top speed.

In case you don't know how to change them it's simple :

1. Open carter where your kick starter is
2. Locate variator (it's the big round thing on the left because it's mounted on the crankshaft)
3. Remove variator, it's made of 3 parts and the roller weights are inside (they will probably fall out when you remove the variator)
4. Change weights and put everything back, enjoy

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Might want to change the final drive oil and check belt thickness. Oil gunky = slightly reduced top speed. Thinner-than-spec belt = definitely reduced top speed.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Would you guys trust a Sym scooter if you had access to parts? I thought I remember that being an issue a while ago, but Oahu seems to be swamped with Sym scooters and places that fix them. Have been considering just buying one of these used rental Sym scooters - http://sales.hawaiimoped.com/ but I am slightly nervous buying something not from Japan having owned two rock solid Yamaha scooters on the mainland.

Also...apparently scooter = moped in Hawaii. I haven't seen a single actual moped for sale...or a single scooter actually being advertised as a scooter.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Paco de Suave posted:

Would you guys trust a Sym scooter if you had access to parts? I thought I remember that being an issue a while ago, but Oahu seems to be swamped with Sym scooters and places that fix them. Have been considering just buying one of these used rental Sym scooters - http://sales.hawaiimoped.com/ but I am slightly nervous buying something not from Japan having owned two rock solid Yamaha scooters on the mainland.

Also...apparently scooter = moped in Hawaii. I haven't seen a single actual moped for sale...or a single scooter actually being advertised as a scooter.

I've heard nothing but good things about SYM. SYMs and Kymcos are, from what I understand, well-built, reliable Taiwanese machines, not mainland disposable ones. The only real complaint I've come across is people buying a Sym and having difficulty getting parts because there isn't a dealership nearby that carries them. It sounds like you wouldn't have that problem, and if it's a used rental scoot in decent shape and at a reasonable price, I'd jump at it.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
SYM had some difficulties in the US recently when their previous distributor, Carter Brothers, had a major warehouse fire. They're with Alliance now, I think, and things are apparently good with regards to parts availability.

I'd buy a SYM, but I wouldn't buy an ex-rental scooter. That sounds like a worse idea than buying an ex-rental car (which is a bad idea). And I don't know the Hawaiian used market but $1,000-1,200 for an ex-rental 50cc SYM does not sound like a good deal at all.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

SYM had some difficulties in the US recently when their previous distributor, Carter Brothers, had a major warehouse fire. They're with Alliance now, I think, and things are apparently good with regards to parts availability.

I'd buy a SYM, but I wouldn't buy an ex-rental scooter. That sounds like a worse idea than buying an ex-rental car (which is a bad idea). And I don't know the Hawaiian used market but $1,000-1,200 for an ex-rental 50cc SYM does not sound like a good deal at all.

Things there are...expensive.

Honda Elite - $3500
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/3092686903.html

'82 Honda Express - $1450
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/3070297251.html

Another Elite - $2100
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/3095594251.html

meh. I just want another scooter :(

Edit: Ask and ye shall receive apparently...am picking up my $1200 Yamaha Zuma with 300 miles on it on Monday. Hopefully Yamaha #3 will be as great as 1 and 2.

Paco de Suave fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 28, 2012

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
You'll save in the long run by buying a Yamaha but you can go for a an ex rental sym as long as you're ready to replace piston/cylinder and all wear items like clutch, rollers and belt. it shouldn't cost more than 150$ in parts but it's a day worth of work.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I keep meaning to post this but I keep forgetting. I test rode a Piaggio BV350 the other day. It's pretty drat amazing.

I went to Marietta Motorsports one day to check out the scooters they had in stock as I wanted to check out the Sym HD200 evo and the bv. The underseat storage lights up, the passenger pegs are molded into the body work, really nice touches here and there. Also my xxl shoei fullface fits under the seat, although you have to get in there just right.

Powerwise I would say the bv350 is on par with the first bike I ever owned, a Suzuki gs500. Weight wise they are pretty close too. That means the bv has no problems pulling out into traffic, getting up to 60, etc. It handled really well, I liked the feeling of the big wheels as it made the transition from a motorcycle not bad at all. However I stayed conservative as the tires were brand new and pretty slick feeling, same thing with the brakes as they had not been bedded in as the scooter had hardly any miles on it.

One thing to keep in mind is that I walk around at 310 lbs, so I'm basically two up on a scooter all by myself. The scooter didn't seem to have any problems with the weight and I'm sure if I got on the freeway I would have been able to keep up with traffic. The only downside? $6000 out the door.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Goodies! This was the first time I ordered from SIP, and I'd definitely order from them again. $100 minimum to ship to the US, and shipping was $20, but their prices and selection are good enough compared to the US sites that it's all worth it.

Sadly none of these are really exciting. Intake bellows, carb box seal, pinch bolts, brake pads and shoes, etc. Just some maintenance items. My new master cylinder is on backorder. :(

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Took my first minor spill on my Stella this week!

I was riding down Mass Ave in Cambridge, between Harvard and Porter for anyone from the area, and didn't notice a gnarly double pot hole until it was too late. I've driven this route a thousand times so I don't know if it was new or I just happened to be distracted and hit it. Thankfully I wasn't going fast at all and just ended up with some sprains on my right side and a couple of dents on the right rear cowl. The crash guard absorbed most of it. Sadly the scooter wouldn't start to I had to get a tow.

Took off the right cowl today and it looks like the only damage was a few broken fins on the flywheel. I also had to bang out the flywheel guard but after I cleaned it out and reformed the guard it seems all good to go. Is there anything I could be missing, or is there any really bad reason I shouldn't be driving with a flywheel that has a few broken fins? I can't think of any and asked my father, who is a mechanic, and he didn't see any problem with it. Now, he doesn't have any experience with scooters so that is why I figured I would ask here. I'll obviously replace the flywheel but I'm hoping I can just wait until one of the scooter shops has a sale or I can save up the money.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

mrwrong posted:

Took my first minor spill on my Stella this week!

I was riding down Mass Ave in Cambridge, between Harvard and Porter for anyone from the area, and didn't notice a gnarly double pot hole until it was too late. I've driven this route a thousand times so I don't know if it was new or I just happened to be distracted and hit it. Thankfully I wasn't going fast at all and just ended up with some sprains on my right side and a couple of dents on the right rear cowl. The crash guard absorbed most of it. Sadly the scooter wouldn't start to I had to get a tow.

Took off the right cowl today and it looks like the only damage was a few broken fins on the flywheel. I also had to bang out the flywheel guard but after I cleaned it out and reformed the guard it seems all good to go. Is there anything I could be missing, or is there any really bad reason I shouldn't be driving with a flywheel that has a few broken fins? I can't think of any and asked my father, who is a mechanic, and he didn't see any problem with it. Now, he doesn't have any experience with scooters so that is why I figured I would ask here. I'll obviously replace the flywheel but I'm hoping I can just wait until one of the scooter shops has a sale or I can save up the money.

If you mean the cooling fins on the ignition rotor, you are fine because it's heavy enought for it to not affect balance, it will affect cooling tho.

Also if you guys need to order parts from europe I can send them to you no problems especially minarelli engine parts, I also have a bunch of spares so if you need anything for these engines ask me, I also have a bunch of racing exhausts I need to sell for both horizontal and vertical models.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Sh4 posted:

If you mean the cooling fins on the ignition rotor, you are fine because it's heavy enought for it to not affect balance, it will affect cooling tho.

Also if you guys need to order parts from europe I can send them to you no problems especially minarelli engine parts, I also have a bunch of spares so if you need anything for these engines ask me, I also have a bunch of racing exhausts I need to sell for both horizontal and vertical models.

You are correct, thanks. I knew I was probably using the wrong terminology.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'm having an issue with my scoot, I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas before I take it in.

It's a 150cc Elite, and it's governed (is that the right word?) at 65 mph. I have to really put the spurs to it to go that fast, but when I get there the motor shuts down and the exhaust starts popping and you can't accelerate at all until it slows down a bit.

That's all fine and seems normal, but now it's doing that sometimes when I'm not even close to 65. It happens a lot when I'm WOT but not at 65, and then today it happened at like 2/3 throttle and I was going like 45.

It happens when the gas tank is almost empty, when it's full, when it's half full. I'm not sure what else to check.

Edit: I should add that I'm assuming the carb is clean, as I had a guy clean it for me for a different issue a month or two ago.

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 29, 2012

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm having an issue with my scoot, I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas before I take it in.

It's a 150cc Elite, and it's governed (is that the right word?) at 65 mph. I have to really put the spurs to it to go that fast, but when I get there the motor shuts down and the exhaust starts popping and you can't accelerate at all until it slows down a bit.

That's all fine and seems normal, but now it's doing that sometimes when I'm not even close to 65. It happens a lot when I'm WOT but not at 65, and then today it happened at like 2/3 throttle and I was going like 45.

It happens when the gas tank is almost empty, when it's full, when it's half full. I'm not sure what else to check.

Edit: I should add that I'm assuming the carb is clean, as I had a guy clean it for me for a different issue a month or two ago.

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure those engines are not speed governed but they might be restricted (they probably are) but your issue sound like it is not related.

I'd recommend changing your spark plug and tune the carb (might need rejetting) as popping exhaust usually happen when you're running lean. My theory is that it popped at 65 because the variation was maxxed out so rpm increased and it ran lean.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sh4 posted:

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure those engines are not speed governed but they might be restricted (they probably are) but your issue sound like it is not related.

I'd recommend changing your spark plug and tune the carb (might need rejetting) as popping exhaust usually happen when you're running lean. My theory is that it popped at 65 because the variation was maxxed out so rpm increased and it ran lean.
I thought it sounded more like a fuel flow issue. The fact that it's happening only at WOT and mostly at higher RPMs, which is where it's sucking the most fuel, and the fact that it's getting worse, sounds like a restriction in the fuel lines somewhere. If it has a filter, might check or replace that. If it has a petcock, might try it on PRI and see if it makes it any better, or try disconnecting it from the carb and sucking on the vacuum line to see how much gas comes out of the other hose. It should flow, not trickle. Then maybe move on to cleaning out the carb.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I thought it sounded more like a fuel flow issue.

This might be it. I have to blip the throttle a few times to get it to run right again.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

The back tire of my sh150 blew out about an hour ago. I had to leave it in a parking lot until I can get it towed in the morning. Driving away felt like leaving a best a friend forever.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Mr. Humalong posted:

The back tire of my sh150 blew out about an hour ago. I had to leave it in a parking lot until I can get it towed in the morning. Driving away felt like leaving a best a friend forever.

Yikes! Have you considered a patch/plug kit? I have no idea how do-able patching or plugging is in a parking lot, I've never done it, but I hear it's pretty easy (and why a lot of vintage scooter people upgrade to tubeless rims).

A major advantage to vintage Vespa-type bikes (including Stellas) - carrying a spare tire. I've only had one flat on a scooter in ~7.5 years, but it was on my Stella so I had a spare!

Nothing quite like roadside repair on a busy downtown street.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yikes! Have you considered a patch/plug kit? I have no idea how do-able patching or plugging is in a parking lot, I've never done it, but I hear it's pretty easy (and why a lot of vintage scooter people upgrade to tubeless rims).

A major advantage to vintage Vespa-type bikes (including Stellas) - carrying a spare tire. I've only had one flat on a scooter in ~7.5 years, but it was on my Stella so I had a spare!

Nothing quite like roadside repair on a busy downtown street.

The tire already had a really slow leak that I noticed about 3 days ago, but I didn't have time to get it into a shop until...tomorrow haha. Getting it towed in the morning, the animal hospital I had to leave it at was nice enough to let me park it under an awning around back so it won't get wet/isn't visible from the road (it's supposed to rain for the next couple of days).

I guess the biggest drawback so far is having those giant 16" wheels, makes carrying a spare pretty difficult.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
So....um.. been lurking in this thread for awhile, but never really had a good reason to post, but today I was looking around and I'm confused.

A little background...my dad and stepmom have put massive amounts of miles on a '92 and '94 Elite, to the point that they are now looking for replacements. I bought an '02 Reflex last fall (got an incredible deal) that I absolutely love the poo poo out of. I thought I'd help them with a little research.

After checking Honda's scooter site, I find that they no longer offer anything between a 150 and the Silverwing (+/- 650). Also, some of the models shown on the official website are from 2010 and 2011! :aaaaa: While my dad loves the Silverwing, my stepmom thinks it's too big for her and the price is way too high.

So, I thought I would just check out the Yamaha site for shits and giggles. While they do have the Majesty and TMax model, one of which is a 400cc model, I noticed that some of their main models are from 2011!

Is this (now)mid-range segment (250cc) being bypassed by the maxi scooters or what? I mean, we're all for more power, but the idea of $9000 plus for a scooter is a major turnoff to us.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Honda and Yamaha definitely have big holes in their lineups. It could be that they're discontinued, but I think what happens sometimes when you see 2010 or 2011 models listed it's because they have some leftover and aren't selling enough to make it worthwhile to ship over "2012" models of identical bikes.

While the Japanese have abandoned big parts of the US market, the Taiwanese and Italians have us pretty well covered: Piaggio (BV350, MP3 250), Aprilia (Sport City 250, Scarabeo 200), Vespa (GTS 300), and Kymco (who has 5 ~200cc scooters and 2 ~300cc scooters). All of them make good bikes.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'd kill for one of those blur 220s.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

TLG James posted:

I'd kill for one of those blur 220s.

I was actually looking at getting one of these before I picked up my Honda.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Mr. Humalong posted:

I was actually looking at getting one of these before I picked up my Honda.

A friend of mine had one. He loved it - when it ran. But it had problems with the fuel injection that two different Genuine dealers couldn't resolve, even with direct guidance from the head tech at Genuine.

Genuine ended up taking it back from him and giving him a new 4-stroke Stella.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

theacox posted:

So....um.. been lurking in this thread for awhile, but never really had a good reason to post, but today I was looking around and I'm confused.

A little background...my dad and stepmom have put massive amounts of miles on a '92 and '94 Elite, to the point that they are now looking for replacements. I bought an '02 Reflex last fall (got an incredible deal) that I absolutely love the poo poo out of. I thought I'd help them with a little research.

After checking Honda's scooter site, I find that they no longer offer anything between a 150 and the Silverwing (+/- 650). Also, some of the models shown on the official website are from 2010 and 2011! :aaaaa: While my dad loves the Silverwing, my stepmom thinks it's too big for her and the price is way too high.

So, I thought I would just check out the Yamaha site for shits and giggles. While they do have the Majesty and TMax model, one of which is a 400cc model, I noticed that some of their main models are from 2011!

Is this (now)mid-range segment (250cc) being bypassed by the maxi scooters or what? I mean, we're all for more power, but the idea of $9000 plus for a scooter is a major turnoff to us.
yamaha replaced the majesty with the xmax in EU a while ago. Also you should check out the skycruiser

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

new 4-stroke Stella.
What are those like, anyway? I've yet to see one.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

What are those like, anyway? I've yet to see one.

I've only seen two in the wild, ever, and that count was only at 1 until Saturday night (at a big scooter rally).

My friend likes his. The other person I've met that has one owned a 2-stroke Stella before, and also really likes it. From what I can gather not having ridden one, they're very good on gas, very quiet, ride pretty similar to the 2-strokes, and have power better than a stock 2-stroke but maybe not as good as a 2-stroke with a Sito+ (and a Sito+ is a Default Upgrade for most Stella owners, so it's an important comparison, I think).

My friend has had one issue, however, and has found a small few reports at sites like ModernBuddy from others having it. At a rally a few weeks ago involving some very aggressive riding, he starting having problems involving bogging or loss of power or something. He hasn't been able to pin the conditions in which it happens (overfull fuel tank? heat?) enough to figure out what might be a cause. It's been rare enough that it has not tarnished his affection for his bike.

TinfoilHate
Nov 19, 2003

What the hell is wrong
with you people?

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

overfull fuel tank
I've read about this causing all manner of issues with the 4-strokes when I was searching up information between those and the 2-stroke.

I picked up a 2-stroke back in late March as a regular daily ride (and I regret it not a bit), and now that I've got about 1000 miles on it the drat electric start isn't working anymore. Not a big problem since I can just kick-start the thing, but it just gives one thunk as you press the button and that's about it.

Weak battery, I'm assuming?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

TinfoilHate posted:

I've read about this causing all manner of issues with the 4-strokes when I was searching up information between those and the 2-stroke.

I picked up a 2-stroke back in late March as a regular daily ride (and I regret it not a bit), and now that I've got about 1000 miles on it the drat electric start isn't working anymore. Not a big problem since I can just kick-start the thing, but it just gives one thunk as you press the button and that's about it.

Weak battery, I'm assuming?

Weak battery, weak charging system. Unless you're doing pretty long/higher-RPM rides after you use the electric start, the system won't charge the battery enough to recoup the spent energy. Kick start more often (or always).

Also check your battery levels and top off with distilled water if necessary. If you fall too far behind on your battery maintenance and the battery gets 100% Totally loving Kaput you might lose all your lights (the reg/rec stops putting out any electricity and nothing electrical works, at all, even though the motor will run fine. Ask me how I know!).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

My friend likes his. The other person I've met that has one owned a 2-stroke Stella before, and also really likes it. From what I can gather not having ridden one, they're very good on gas, very quiet, ride pretty similar to the 2-strokes, and have power better than a stock 2-stroke but maybe not as good as a 2-stroke with a Sito+ (and a Sito+ is a Default Upgrade for most Stella owners, so it's an important comparison, I think).
Is a Sito+ similar to a Prima? I knew a guy who bought a Prima pipe for his, and I rode it before and after, and it was like, wow, man.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Is a Sito+ similar to a Prima? I knew a guy who bought a Prima pipe for his, and I rode it before and after, and it was like, wow, man.

Nothing like a Prima, really. The Sito+ is a box exhaust, looks a lot like the stock unit but is bigger and doesn't have a catalytic converter stuffed in it. The Prima pipe is ~2.5-3x the cost and is an expansion chamber.

The 2-stroke Stellas basically have their own version of the "Harley tax" - i.e. they're so tuned-down and restricted from the factory to meet emissions that it is unreasonably common for people to do basic intake, exhaust, and carb re-tunes on them. The thinking being "this is how it should have been from the factory."

The Sito+ is the default upgrade because it works well with the stock cylinder (whereas expansion pipes really benefit tuned/kitted motors) and makes a lot of low- and mid-range power (while most available expansion pipes favor high revs and give peaky powerbands). The SIP Road is similar to the Sito+ but apparently makes slightly better power, doesn't rust out as fast, and is quieter, and it is gaining in popularity. The Sito+ remains most common just because of momentum and availability.

It's also very cheap - when I got mine a couple years ago I also installed a new Piaggio air filter (more open than the Stella unit, emissions again) and a full carb rejet (air corrector, mixer, idle jet, and several main jets) for under $150 shipped. The Prima is like $300.

That said, when I made those changes it seriously felt like I had gained 1/3rd more horsepower and easily 5mph on top. In stock form the motor won't even rev to it's limit - it just can't breathe.

I might be getting a bonus at work soon and I think I'm going to put on a new top end, exhaust, and maybe a 24mm carb :allears:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I'm going to be looking at this Yamaha C3 for my friend tonight, is there anything scooter or C3-specific I should look for?

I'm never even ridden a scooter but I know a lot about cars and motorcyclkes so I figure any major issues I'll be able to see right away, but I'm clueless when it comes to the CVT and probably the suspension.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm interested in looking at getting a scooter for my main commuting machine. (I have 3 other bikes that I'd like to keep for other duties) I'm really attracted to the Genuine Stella because A) it looks awesome and B) Manual transmission. But I'm fairly certain that the 125 2-stroke won't be able to haul my fat rear end up to 75. I know small wheels at 75 are frightening (I've been on a helix before). This would only be for a mile or two each way.

I'm a giant sperg lord and need it to be a manual. Not a shiftable automatic, CVT, whateverelse is on every scooter other than the Stella. If I'm correct there is nothing that's manual and 250cc+ on the current market. Is there anything vintage? I'm pretty comfortable with older bikes as all my bikes are 30+ years old.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 13, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Bloody Queef posted:

I'm interested in looking at getting a scooter for my main commuting machine. (I have 3 other bikes that I'd like to keep for other duties) I'm really attracted to the Genuine Stella because A) it looks awesome and B) Manual transmission. But I'm fairly certain that the 125 2-stroke won't be able to haul my fat rear end up to 75. I know small wheels at 75 are frightening (I've been on a helix before). This would only be for a mile or two each way.

I'm a giant sperg lord and need it to be a manual. Not a shiftable automatic, CVT, whateverelse is on every scooter other than the Stella. If I'm correct there is nothing that's manual and 250cc+ on the current market. Is there anything vintage? I'm pretty comfortable with older bikes as all my bikes are 30+ years old.

You really will not find a shifty scooter that'll do 75, even going vintage. The Vespa P200 (shares a body with the Stella, which is a 150, btw) is the biggest shifty Vespa and one of those would only do 75 with not-insignificant engine work (top end kit and a regear, I'd guess).

Vintage Lambrettas also only got up to 200. They tend to be faster than comparable-displacement Vespas, but they also break all the loving time.

Also, 75 on a Stella would be way different from 75 on a Helix. The Helix would be much, much more stable.

If you want a scooter to do 75 reliably you're going to have to give up manual shift. Are there no alternative routes you can take?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

You really will not find a shifty scooter that'll do 75, even going vintage. The Vespa P200 (shares a body with the Stella, which is a 150, btw) is the biggest shifty Vespa and one of those would only do 75 with not-insignificant engine work (top end kit and a regear, I'd guess).

Vintage Lambrettas also only got up to 200. They tend to be faster than comparable-displacement Vespas, but they also break all the loving time.

Also, 75 on a Stella would be way different from 75 on a Helix. The Helix would be much, much more stable.

If you want a scooter to do 75 reliably you're going to have to give up manual shift. Are there no alternative routes you can take?

An alternative route would add too much time onto my commute to make it practical. I will have to do some serious soul searching about whether I should abandon the manual shift idea, get another motorcycle instead of a scooter, or get the Stella anyway and just not commute on it. Thanks for the help!

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Let me introduce you to the 2008-2012 T-Max

580cc, as loud as an R6 and awesome as gently caress, reliability is also great.

Top speed: 100+ mph

The only thing that I don't like about mine is you can't wheelie (or if you manage to do it it's scary as gently caress and really really hard.

Add some go fast parts (I have malossi everything) and it's a serious competitor to any sport bike

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?

Sh4 posted:

Add some go fast parts (I have malossi everything) and it's a serious competitor to any sport bike

A serious competitor indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZIfafAlaU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Maybe not on a race track but on the streets (including highways) I gave my friends a run for their money (my friends have 600 Hornet, 600 Fazer and Z1000)

Anyway I do 0 to 60 in less than 5 secs and it's with the stock gearing so maybe you should consider that it's not you average stella, also the 2013 version is even faster stock