Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, that's just morons who take the "If the update accidentally bricks your system, don't blame us" clause that's in pretty much every EULA and run off into left field with it.

Oh, cool.

...3DS flash cards don't require me to gently caress with my CIOS, my BIOS and my GlaDOS, do they? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh, cool.

...3DS flash cards don't require me to gently caress with my CIOS, my BIOS and my GlaDOS, do they? :shobon:

Correct. Sometimes the newer firmware updates for the 3DS itself may make it difficult or impossible for your card to work on it, but you don't change anything on the 3DS itself.

There are typically updates, after a firmware update, for the card itself, which you can execute in order to make the card compatible with the new firmware. You'll just have to run that update on a non-updated 3DS, or a DS Lite (ideal) or DSi XL which hasn't been updated yet.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, got my DSTWO today and have been playing around with it.

I'm impressed enough. Compatibility seems fine, it works with my 3DS, and having a decent GBA emulator makes it worth the upgrade. It's an ugly loving thing, though, jeez. You can skin it easy enough but I tried altering the loadscreen and it stopped running games until I reinstalled the OS.

I'm used to the Cyclo being pretty gorgeous and easy to use and tinker with, so the Supercard is a bit jarring. Every time I want to load something up I have to look at the hideously garish bloody loadscreen which says "Enjoy yourself! All pleasure in it" and my brain tries to leap out of my skull and attack it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Install Gentoo posted:

Remember when they released that update for the Wii that was supposed to block homebrew, but actually just hosed up a bunch of Wii systems so that they couldn't boot? This is Nintendo covering their rear end if their 3DS updates do that.

Too bad it bricked a bunch of Wii's that have not been tampered with too. Homebrewing and updating the "proper" (hacked) way was the only way to update without risk of bricking your console because of the lovely way Nintendo did the flash (without checking checksums).

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Leovinus posted:

I'm used to the Cyclo being pretty gorgeous and easy to use and tinker with, so the Supercard is a bit jarring. Every time I want to load something up I have to look at the hideously garish bloody loadscreen which says "Enjoy yourself! All pleasure in it" and my brain tries to leap out of my skull and attack it.

Exactly the same here, I loved Cyclos shortcuts you could add for favorites too. Saved me having to search through folders trying to remember where each emulator was and stuff.

I'd love it if there was a simple way to re-build your own menu system, basically so I could fill it with shortcuts and favorites and also make not look like complete and utter rear end.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Hair posted:

Exactly the same here, I loved Cyclos shortcuts you could add for favorites too. Saved me having to search through folders trying to remember where each emulator was and stuff.

I'd love it if there was a simple way to re-build your own menu system, basically so I could fill it with shortcuts and favorites and also make not look like complete and utter rear end.

Actually, now that I've replaced the default plugin menu with iMenu, replaced the loading screen and reskinned the DS loader, I have nothing but praise for the card (except that it shows up in the 3DS menu as a DS copy of the awful game Stormbreaker, but that's unavoidable). The default OS is almost unforgivably ugly, but after an hour or so of reskinning and editing, this looks better than my Cyclo ever did.

I've tried the GBA and SNES emulators now and I'm particularly impressed with the GBA support. I played around with the Free Cheat feature as well and was particularly impressed with how easy it was to write your own cheat codes. It's a feature I'll never use but will always appreciate having there.

Edit: Oh, I do have one complaint. The extra chips slightly increase the profile of the DSTWO so that it sticks a bit in the slot in a way that the Cyclo didn't - so I can no longer push down on the card while it's in the DS and let go quickly to launch it a foot into the air and catch it in my other hand.

Edit2: Oh, wait! I can use the spring-loaded MicroSD slot to launch the MicroSD card three feet and catch that, like I used to do with my old M3 Lite! Perfect.

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 9, 2012

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Holy poo poo, thanks for that link! I'm now halfway to having a nice looking setup.

I think I might learn how to make my own skin, or rather to change the images that make up a skin. That way I can have a green skin that matchs my XL. That'd be pretty sweet.

Part of me is going to miss seeing "ALL PLEASURE IN IT!"

EDIT

Leovinus posted:

Edit2: Oh, wait! I can use the spring-loaded MicroSD slot to launch the MicroSD card three feet and catch that, like I used to do with my old M3 Lite! Perfect.

This. This is how my nephew lost his new 8gb class 10. I kinda wish the cart didn't have the spring loaded slot!

edit2: Turns out re-skinning everything is quite a big job. If I understand it correctly though with the DStwo you can have a .skin file that will change EVERYTHING as in snes emu, gba emu, main menu and DS games menu. But I've not actually found anywhere to download one of these that actually works? Is there some website somewhere that holds completed skins so I can find something that'll replace everything for me?

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 10, 2012

Mindey Tyrone
Jun 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Since what i'm reading on the internet is saying that there are no 3DS flash cards that work on a 3DS, would a DS flash card work on a 3DS?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Mindey Tyrone posted:

Since what i'm reading on the internet is saying that there are no 3DS flash cards that work on a 3DS, would a DS flash card work on a 3DS?

Yes, may I suggest you take a look at the OP?

Mindey Tyrone
Jun 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Keito posted:

Yes, may I suggest you take a look at the OP?

Sorry i'm an idiot :). I apologize.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yep, I've got a DSTWO that's been working with my 3DS for some time now.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Mindey Tyrone posted:

Sorry i'm an idiot :). I apologize.

No worries! I haven't updated it in half a year, but it should still be accurate as far as I know.

I should really get around to adding a section about cart firmware alternatives like BAGplug and that iMenu thing mentioned above for the DSTWO, is there something like this that you guys in the AK2i crew use? And maybe try to revive the homebrew software recommendation section while I'm at it.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is it normal for the DSTWO to get kinda warm? I played Layton on it and it got kinda warm and heated up the plastic behind it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Leovinus posted:

Is it normal for the DSTWO to get kinda warm? I played Layton on it and it got kinda warm and heated up the plastic behind it.

It has a whole CPU inside it, so yeah. Not too warm though.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
So, I can't seem to find any consistent answers on the internet since there are so many drat R4 carts these days. I have the original, basic R4. Just got a 3DS today and tried to plug it in - doesn't appear on the system menu. Did I screw myself into having to buy a new flash card? >:(

If I must, I will. I'm just so cheeeeeap. Hoping that there's a way to upgrade it so it'll work.

Also, my apologies if this has been asked a thousand times before. I checked the OP and the last few pages and didn't see anything.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

monkeyboydc posted:

Did I screw myself into having to buy a new flash card? >:(

Yep.

The current recommendation for the 3DS is the DSTWO.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

monkeyboydc posted:

So, I can't seem to find any consistent answers on the internet since there are so many drat R4 carts these days. I have the original, basic R4. Just got a 3DS today and tried to plug it in - doesn't appear on the system menu. Did I screw myself into having to buy a new flash card? >:(

If I must, I will. I'm just so cheeeeeap. Hoping that there's a way to upgrade it so it'll work.

Also, my apologies if this has been asked a thousand times before. I checked the OP and the last few pages and didn't see anything.

Yes, the R4 won't even work on a DSi, much less the 3DS. Part of the reason you've had trouble finding answers is that there's 66 R4 clones out there, all with different abilities and some cards that get the R4 label slapped on them are 3DS enabled. But the original is not.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
drat, alright, thanks for the info everybody. So, I have the latest firmware on the 3DS. Am I okay to just buy the acekard 2i or the DSTWO off real hot stuff and have it work?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

monkeyboydc posted:

drat, alright, thanks for the info everybody. So, I have the latest firmware on the 3DS. Am I okay to just buy the acekard 2i or the DSTWO off real hot stuff and have it work?

Yeah, it should work okay. If your 3DS is has a newer firmware than the card, you may need to update it. You update the card by throwing a few files (from the DSTWO website) on the microSD card, and booting the card with your 3DS. However, assuming you're up-to-date on the firmware of your 3DS, you may have to do this on a different machine. Either a somewhat outdated DSi/XL, or ANY DS Lite, as they don't ever have a problem doing so. Then you can run it on your 3DS just fine.

And then, the next time you see an update available for your 3DS, get the DSTWO update first, run it (even on the 3DS), then feel free to update.

Count Snapula
Apr 24, 2008
So I just tried to purchase a DSTWO off of RealHotStuff and it told me that my credit card was declined even though I know for a fact that it's working fine. That, combined with Firefox basically pulling me aside and screaming in my face that this website is sketchy as gently caress (it definitely looks the part), is raising a lot of red flags for me.

Has anyone else been having problems with the website? I already regret giving these guys my credit card information, but I'm still hopeful that it was just some kind of weird error. I think I really do have more money than common sense, but I just really wanted to do some homebrewing. :downs:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Count Snapula posted:

So I just tried to purchase a DSTWO off of RealHotStuff and it told me that my credit card was declined even though I know for a fact that it's working fine. That, combined with Firefox basically pulling me aside and screaming in my face that this website is sketchy as gently caress (it definitely looks the part), is raising a lot of red flags for me.

Has anyone else been having problems with the website? I already regret giving these guys my credit card information, but I'm still hopeful that it was just some kind of weird error. I think I really do have more money than common sense, but I just really wanted to do some homebrewing. :downs:

I used them to get my DSTWO and had no problems. (So far!) It was many months ago, so I think they are legit.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Count Snapula posted:

I wouldn't have been linking them in the OP for years if they were trying to scam people. While the site design might reek a bit of 2003 by now, they're running a great shop with excellent customer support as well.

If some site wanted to scam people I don't see why they'd make them suspicious instead of just pretending that the order went through normally.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Before I make the jump from a Cyclo to a Supercard I have two questions. Does the GBA emulator work with the 3DS and will my save games from the Cyclo work on the Supercard? I figure the answer to both is yes but I want to make sure before I drop the money.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Len posted:

Before I make the jump from a Cyclo to a Supercard I have two questions. Does the GBA emulator work with the 3DS and will my save games from the Cyclo work on the Supercard? I figure the answer to both is yes but I want to make sure before I drop the money.

GBA emulator works fine my end, only tried pokemon games though. Its almost perfect, certainly playable. As for saves, I'm not sure but I think I used a savegame converter? They might well now work no problem though.

I've been really pleased with my supercard, especially since I reskinned it.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

System update on the 3DS market either today or recently, I guess.
Acekard hasn't posted any recent updates, whats the condition?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jeff Goldblum posted:

System update on the 3DS market either today or recently, I guess.
Acekard hasn't posted any recent updates, whats the condition?

Not sure about the Acekard but someone in the 3DS thread reported that the DSTWO has been blocked with this update.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not sure about the Acekard but someone in the 3DS thread reported that the DSTWO has been blocked with this update.

gently caress. I just ordered a DSTWO monday it should be here either today or tomorrow.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Len posted:

gently caress. I just ordered a DSTWO monday it should be here either today or tomorrow.

The SuperCard team has already put out an update to make it work on the new firmware, go snatch it from the official site.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there a way to pull my Last Specter save from the cart or do I just need to start over?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Len posted:

Is there a way to pull my Last Specter save from the cart or do I just need to start over?

You should be able to use this http://neetgamer.com/guides/back-up-your-nintendo-ds-save-games/

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Len posted:

Supercard doesn't natively support Cyclo saves, but you can convert them using this web utility. http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php

There's no specific option for the DSTWO but the setting that covers the other supercards will work.

If anyone knows a decent offline converter I'd love to hear about it, because the web interface is extra steps I don't need.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Leovinus posted:

Supercard doesn't natively support Cyclo saves, but you can convert them using this web utility. http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php

Maybe they updated something since you got it? My cyclo saves carried over fine without having to do anything other than put them in the same folder as the roms.

Edit: Where can I get an up to date cheat list for the supercard? GBATemps hasn't been updated since March.

Len fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 30, 2012

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

More than a week gone by and Acekard has yet to release any update to their card. I recall this happening before, kind of a bummer since I ended up missing the sale on VVVVVV because of it.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Jeff Goldblum posted:

More than a week gone by and Acekard has yet to release any update to their card. I recall this happening before, kind of a bummer since I ended up missing the sale on VVVVVV because of it.

Yeah, I was weak and updated my system yesterday despite this because of the updates to Swapnote, so I really hope that Acekard releases an update soon. I mean I haven't been playing my DS much lately anyways, and when I have been, have been playing stuff not on there, but still...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edit: Nevermind found it.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Oh, hey there, Acekard 2i users.

The 3DS 4.2 update is out for the card, so if you've been waiting as intently as I have... it's time to update!

It might have taken forever, but you know what? Acekard still wins me over any day. And, I'll tell you why.

Every time I plug that card in. It's beautiful. I almost want to buy the game legit.

Captain combat bear
Aug 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
How do you make a real time save in DSTWO the buttons are blacked out and I cant select them.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Captain combat bear posted:

How do you make a real time save in DSTWO the buttons are blacked out and I cant select them.

There are two in-game menus. One of them offers Real time saving and the other doesn't. If your go into your DStwo main menu thing you can configure the buttons in one of the settings and find out which combo is for the advenced ingame menu :)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I just got the DSTWO and I want to patch it to the latest whatever. The firmware it came with is current but it needs new EOS files or something. I dropped the _dstwo directory into the root and rebooted the DS Lite but it tells me nothing about updating. Is there some trick to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

The Gunslinger posted:

I just got the DSTWO and I want to patch it to the latest whatever. The firmware it came with is current but it needs new EOS files or something. I dropped the _dstwo directory into the root and rebooted the DS Lite but it tells me nothing about updating. Is there some trick to this?

No you've already done it.

• Locked thread