Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009

Haraksha posted:

Yeah, is anyone going to attend who isn't posting on the FB event page? 7 seems a bit excessive for an 8'o'clock reservation in walking distance from the station.

My recommendation would be 7:30 start arriving, leave by 7:45. Do people need phone numbers or what?

I'd like to get this all sorted by noon because after that, I'll be unavailable online for the rest of the day.

Yeah, I'll be at Ximen Exit 6 hanging out at 7:30pm. I suggest everyone who wants to walk to the place with us be there by 7:45pm, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

mad carl posted:

Yeah, I'll be at Ximen Exit 6 hanging out at 7:30pm. I suggest everyone who wants to walk to the place with us be there by 7:45pm, please!

Sounds like a plan.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I noticed not many people have signed up for the facebook thing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mad carl posted:

I'm down.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Well, mad carl has invited his other, non-goon friends. URL isn't on FB. and I don't think USDA Choice is either.

So, it's at least 6 goons, plus url is bringing his girlfriend and I think mad carl might to dinner at least as well. That puts us at 8 assuming USDA Choice goes, 9 if he brings his girl to dinner too.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
I'm on facebook (Eric) but I don't see any event or the like to sign up for unless you're talking about the Brian/Frank/Max exchange. Anyhow yeah I'll be going but GF probably still isn't. See you all by exit 6 ~7:30-7:45.

edit- Looks like she will be coming. Also I'm wearing a blue shirt that says Piranhas on it for what that's worth but I don't imagine you folks will be hard to spot.

USDA Choice fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 30, 2012

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
Are you guys eating spicy food and drinking beer tonight? I want to do that, too.

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009

Oz_Bonus posted:

Are you guys eating spicy food and drinking beer tonight? I want to do that, too.

Hell yeah. Man that sentence just about sums up the whole thing.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

mad carl posted:

Hell yeah. Man that sentence just about sums up the whole thing.

you may have overlooked the being obnoxious and loud part, but yeah otherwise it seemed like a fair summary.

fake edit: as a brit I'm just gonna go ahead and apologise in advance.

:)

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
While I"m here i should pass this on.

hi
please reply to me if you are looking for a part time English teacher position every Wednesday and Thursday after 6 o'clock.
Best Regards

Best Regards
GRAM English Center http://www.gram.com.tw
Terry Chen
格蘭英語中港校 0423261800

I assume it's a widespread email since I haven't used 104 for a while.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
...and then the thread went quiet...
I'll assume this is due to hangovers, and mondayitis.

Apologies for splitting off before midnight - lame I know - though tbh, sitting at a family mart and chilling was just what the doctor ordered.

My saturday was:

Xinzhuang - TMS - Zhongxiao Fuxing
Zhongxiao Fuxing - Wan Hua
Wan hua - Xinzhuang
Xinzhuang - Carniegies
Carniegies - Calcutta

So yeah, by that point I was kinda shattered and a drinking expedition (though sorely needed) was beyond the pale.

I did like the food at Calcutta, it was pretty drat close to what I'd get in the UK for a curry with only very minor differences.

It was nice to be able to faces to names at long last.

This weather is gorgeous - more heat please!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I was busy painting dungeon tiles :|

I came here thinking I'll change everything, I'll be Mr. Cool. That lasted about a year.

Now, I make dungeon tiles, draw maps and write up campaigns in my free time. More of a geek than I was previously. At least I'm married now, so it's not so bad.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url posted:

This weather is gorgeous - more heat please!
You're out of your goddamned mind. I keep thinking "Oh, it's summer(ish), and I've got the day off work, I should go to the beach." Then I step outside and remember how much I love air-conditioning.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Seriously I just wanted to quote that and say "gently caress you" but I was too stuck to my desk chair to do so.

My bedroom A/C killed itself on Sunday, too. Thinking of sleeping in the guest room (with working A/C) until I bother to get someone out here to fix it.

And yeah, Tetsuo, I'm exactly the same as you. Saturday was mind-bogglingly beautiful outside, but after spending like 30 minutes just driving around and doing various errands I decided to spend all day indoors. It's a shame but seriously gently caress the heat.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

You're out of your goddamned mind. I keep thinking "Oh, it's summer(ish), and I've got the day off work, I should go to the beach." Then I step outside and remember how much I love air-conditioning.

I honestly think the best way to beat the heat is to never use A/C. Get a size-able fan and use that instead. That way as the year goes from Spring to Summer you build up a tolerance for the heat. It also helps keep the mosquitoes off you because undoubtedly you will have the fan sitting a few feet away blasting air on you all the time. Plus it saves you a chunk cash every month on your electricity bill.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
That is true. I've got to get a new fan.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

My boss informed me that I have no classes to teach this summer! So, if anybody is looking for a substitute teachers from now until July 18, I am available at any time, anywhere in Taipei.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HappyHelmet posted:

I honestly think the best way to beat the heat is to never use A/C. Get a size-able fan and use that instead. That way as the year goes from Spring to Summer you build up a tolerance for the heat. It also helps keep the mosquitoes off you because undoubtedly you will have the fan sitting a few feet away blasting air on you all the time. Plus it saves you a chunk cash every month on your electricity bill.

I should probably start doing this. My somehow added another 0 to my electricity bill last month.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

I should probably start doing this. My somehow added another 0 to my electricity bill last month.

A/C uses a lot of electricity, and fans use surprisingly little even when you run them all time. So yeah, it should save you some cash. I like the big ones you can get at hardware stores here that are usually blue and white. They are a bit noisy, but are usually pretty cheap and they kick out quite a bit of wind.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HappyHelmet posted:

I actually did this for my first two years here because I was too cheap to buy an A/C. It was still way too humid for my taste though. That said, I'm not going fully native with it, I try not to have the a/c running too often.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 4, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I tend to only run it at night. I can't sleep when I'm covered in sweat.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
30 odd years of UK, and yeah, heat owns bones!

Fans are okay and all, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel your pain. But, I'm still FOB so I still relish the heat as if it were a rare treat.

That email I pasted on the last page was genuine, use it. Otherwise, knock up a 104 profile and the offers will roll in thick and fast ime.

Imo -> ime

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Hey Taiwan goons. I was wondering if anyone knew how quickly you can lock down a 1-year contract for teaching. I'll be going to grad school September 2013 so I need to get back home before then, but I'd love to do another year of overseas teaching until then (did the korea thing a year ago, was good times).

Anyway is it possible to get a contract within the next month/before September? I'd prefer to have a job before heading over and avoiding the whole door-to-door resume thing.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The start of August is usually the new contract cycle, the biggest of the year for Hess at least (the biggest chain on the island).

New teachers are supposed to fly in late July and be out and teaching the first week of August.

You might be a touch late, but you could try right now.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Haraksha posted:

I have yet to turn down a goon who has offered me free booze. If you get here early enough on the 14th(?) then we can get hammered on a boat.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I fly in until later in the afternoon... Free booze offer still stands, though. Booked a room for four nights in Taipei; can't remember where it is off the top my head, but any goons up for a meet can feel free to PM me.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

I am off to travel in Sri Lanka for five weeks, so my spacious bedroom in central Taipei is available to sublet from July 18 to August 25.

* Next to Technology Building MRT Station
* Just down the street from Shida (NTNU, MTU)
* Near a bazillion restaurants and other cool places

The Room:
* Spacious bedroom with a large bed (and clean, new sheets!)
* Private bathroom (Wow!)
* Air conditioner
* Desk and closet space

The Apartment:
* Wireless internet
* Large, fully furnished living room
* Full kitchen, microwave, fridge
* Washing machine
* Two very nice, very quiet room mates

Money:
* NT$11,000 (Approximately USD$370, AUD$360, GPBŁ235)
* You can leave before August 25th, but you have to pay me and get the keys on or before July 18, because I will leave the country the following morning.

* Chris
* ozbonus@gmail.com (This is the best way to contact me.)
* 0975037687 (Use this number inside of Taiwan.)
* 886975037687 (Use this number outside of Taiwan.)
* I'm not busy recently, so I'll be available to show you the place at almost any time.

This is the perfect place for somebody who's coming here to look for a job. Stay here for your first month and then look for a permanent place after you know exactly where you're going to work.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Just FYI, Carrefour is now selling Waffle Crisp.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Also the one near me now has "Lady Liberty" brand knockoff Doritos in Cool Ranch flavor.

Which came first, Ranch or Cool Ranch?

(I ate the whole bag in one sitting)

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I heard this question on the radio the other day, but I couldn't stick around long enough for the answer. As an American, am I still gonna have to pay the uninsured tax back home if I'm signed up for NHI?

I found this on some random law firm's website:

quote:

If a person subject to the individual mandate has a health coverage from a non-U.S. issuer, will this coverage satisfy the individual mandate’s requirements?

Unclear. The statute does not explicitly address this issue, and it will also depend on factual circumstances. For example, while PPACA states that “employer-sponsored coverage” and coverage purchased in the individual market will generally satisfy the individual mandate, there are some instances where the statute specifies that such coverage must meet certain minimum standards (those employers in the “small group” market (50 and fewer employees) that offer coverage to their employees must contribute at least 60% toward the cost of the coverage; and coverage offered by issuers to individuals must include a basic benefits package as specified by PPACA, are just two examples). See PPACA § 1201. Extra-territorial application of U.S. law is a complex matter, and it is difficult to predict how regulators will treat the application of the minimum standards to non-U.S. issuers, though there is a plausible argument that if a non-U.S. carrier is covering persons located in the U.S., the carrier should be subject to PPACA. The upshot is that persons in the U.S. should not assume that health coverage from a non-U.S. carrier will satisfy U.S. law. Those persons who are subject to the individual mandate and who have coverage issued by a non-U.S. carrier will need to explore this issue further as we approach the 2014 implementation of the mandates.

This tells me nothing.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
You are already considered to have the minimum required coverage if you are officially a foreign resident by the US code. You qualify for this if you were outside the US for 330 full days of the past year, or if you are a "bona fide" foreign resident, see below.

Healthcare law ctrl-f for 911(d)
Said 911(d), ctrl-f for qualified indvidual
What is bona fide?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The easiest answer to this is that Taiwanese national health care is miles better than anything in the US, so would have no trouble meeting and exceeding any guidelines set in a US law. So you can consider it employer provides healthcare, and the IRS will never check up on it anyway. US government institutions are almost pathologically averse to dealing with anything foreign. I haven't paid student loans in FOREVER. But actually bugging me about them would require dealing with *shudder* foreigners. So my providers have basically stopped pestering me about them completely.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

USDA Choice posted:

You are already considered to have the minimum required coverage if you are officially a foreign resident by the US code.

Heh, am I reading this wrong, or is this basically the US government saying "well if you're an expat you probably have better coverage than our lovely country can offer you anyway"

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Entirely speculation, but to me it seems they don't want to bother rather than actually making any judgment about coverage. Actual enforcement and oversight would be quite expensive if they wanted to do a good job of checking up on foreigners. I suspect that income taxes are reasoned the same way; if you're making less than ~$90k a year, is it worth IRS time to go after comparatively little fish? I doubt it, I think they're more concerned about taxpayers who make seven figures and move to Singapore.

And even if they are deciding it based on the coverage, it's still probably a wise decision. People who are able to stay abroad long enough to qualify under that definition probably aren't hurting for money even if we aren't exactly Bill Gates. The criteria provided are stringent enough that someone just visiting relatives in Mexico for an extended time or even a full academic-year student studying in Paris still wouldn't qualify.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Speaking of health coverage, I got my first ride in a Taiwanese ambulance this weekend and it was far and away the most dangerous thing I've ever participated in.

I went to Yilan on Saturday to go swimming with some students and their families because one of the parents is a scuba instructor. He knew a good place to go snorkeling and thought it would be fun for me to come along (ie: they all wanted to get drunk with me later). When it came time to hand out gear, everyone got a pair of hard rubber swimming boots except for me. They didn't have any that fit, but I was assured a pair of sandals would be fine.

They weren't!

My toes and heels were exposed, so as I was stumbling around the slippery rocks, I went right into a couple of sea urchins. It was practically out of a slapstick comedy. I stubbed my toe on one foot on the first urchin and then jumped backwards into the one behind me.

I got out of the water and had a mob of people around me in an instant wanting to know why I was suddenly unhappy. Then there came much debate as to what to do with me. It seems no one really knew where the hospital was, but everyone agreed I should go just in case. It didn't feel like I'd been poisoned, but gently caress the ocean. So, they called up the hospital and asked what an ambulance would cost.

"Free!"

And so they ordered one of those.

Now, the EMTs here are trained to treat every situation like an actual emergency, even when it's apparent that they're not in the middle of one. This meant I had one guy taking my blood pressure every minute to make sure I wasn't going into shock and the other driving like the gates of hell had opened and Satan's legions were in hot pursuit.

We almost died!

The driver was trying to pass just about everyone, but being up near Daxi, everything is a one lane country road. At one point, the road split around an obstacle, oncoming traffic branching one way and our lane branching the other. The driver had spent most of the time in the oncoming lane because the traffic was lighter and so that's where we were when the fork approached.

A semi-truck in the other lane just didn't understand what sirens meant. The ambulance driver was pounding on the horns and riding side by side with the truck trying to get in front of it so we wouldn't shoot off into the oncoming branch or collide into the barrier. The truck wouldn't budge, so at the last second the driver slammed on the breaks and we stopped inches from a giant rock.

I was not strapped into anything and so went flying through the back of the ambulance and hit a wall. That was fun.

When we finally got to the hospital, there was a team of paramedics waiting for us with a gurney, but I just sort of limped into the place alongside it. This was more of a large clinic than a hospital proper, so there wasn't a separate emergency entrance. When the ambulance arrived, the entire lobby turned to watch the doors to see what bloody mess of a person was coming in.

It was just a foreigner in a wet suit looking about as embarrassed as possible.

We asked the EMT if this was the easiest case he'd had to deal with. Apparently it wasn't. There was at least some risk that I'd drop over dead from the stings so he had to actually pay attention to me. He preferred when they had to pick up mental patients because they were rarely actually injured.

The doctors weren't quite sure what to do with me. I got a tetanus and allergy shot as precautions and then they debated if they should dig the barbs out or leave them in. They settled on the latter and sent me up to the OR. This ended up being less terrifying than the ambulance ride, but far more surreal.

They pumped my feet full of local anesthetic and began digging through my calluses to get to the spikes buried in my flesh. It turns out this was a fairly difficult task because the spikes were actually soft and nearly impossible to get a hold of. Meanwhile, we had every bad English KTV song on and the nurse was practicing her ballroom dancing in the corner between giving the surgeon his various surgical tweezers.

Towards the end of the procedure, while the the surgeon was using an electric needle to cauterize my heel shut, I overheard a choice bit of conversation.

"你要吃什麼?"
"大辣雞排."

While the surgeon was barbecuing my bloody foot, I at least got to practice talking about why spicy chicken was the best chicken.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Thanks for letting me know exactly what would have happened had I touched those urchins that I almost ran into barehanded the one time I went scuba diving!

Good lord.

At least you aren't now destitute due to a random accident. Though I heard in Taipei an ambulance ride costs ~1,000nt.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

... Pretty much any organisations that use Human labour are pathologically averse to dealing with anything foreign. I haven't paid student loans in FOREVER. But actually bugging me about them would require dealing with *shudder* foreigners. So my providers have basically stopped pestering me about them completely.

FTFY, and a handy thing to keep in mind.

Hahaha, that's ouchy! I did the same thing in Thailand.

I didn't use any local medical thing as I was only on vacation.
Local advice was to basically pound on your foot where the barbs are to encourage them to break up a bit making it easier for your body to dissolve them.

ymmv

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
For a different kind of surreal, the last time I went to a dentist here, I had my gums lasered a bit to move them off of my wisdom tooth some, and smoke started coming out of my mouth. I realized I was inhaling my gums.

:black101:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just went to a clinic to get my wounds dressed and was able to get my first look at the injuries on my toe and heel.

:stare:

The reason I didn't get stitches has nothing to do with depth. These things are goddamn deep. It's actually because they're too loving wide to sew together. I look like I got hit with buckshot.

I'm going to bring a camera when I get them cleaned tomorrow.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
How long is the process to get a teaching job in Taiwan? Going to start looking for a new job in Korea but I want another option in case Korea gets a bit too old. Will be a free man on October 9th and want to spend as little time as possible in that free state. Would probably want to avoid Taipei, I hate rain and prefer hot weather. Is Saturday a universal thing or a Hess thing? For the record, I'm far too neurotic to just show up in country and look for a job in person.

Man, gently caress Korean winters, for real.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The process is not very long. You just have to spam your application and hope for a bite. It is possible to get a job from out of the country; I did. There will be less opportunities to teach outside of Taipei, but you should be alright if you focus on Kaohsiung. Saturday is pretty common. I think most chain schools require it.