Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Well I love puns :colbert:

In other news I found Tanii's Twitter. https://twitter.com/#!/tanizawamune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2l2q
Sep 5, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

IIRC it was Yoshio Sakamoto who hated eggplant enough that it became an in company joke. You'll note that he worked on both Wrecking Crew and Kid Icarus.

This article says Toru Osawa, information seems pretty scarce

quote:

For instance, the Eggplant Wizard was inspired partly by Osawa's “passion for eggplants,” and the eggplant masks found in Wrecking Crew, but Osawa also says he drew it in celebration of having received his summer bonus.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
There's a phrase that the narrator uses a lot that sounds, to my American ears, like 'miroto CLEAR'. What is he actually saying, and what does it mean?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

FredMSloniker posted:

There's a phrase that the narrator uses a lot that sounds, to my American ears, like 'miroto CLEAR'. What is he actually saying, and what does it mean?

I think you're thinking of "migoto," which means a lot of things, but usually "fantastic."

MIGOTO!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

No it's not, at all. It's a real surname or first name. Usually for light-skinned dudes. Like the one in the game. :argh:

You really don't see why a company would want to avoid naming a character after a term used to deride black people. Really.

I give up.

E: Unless you're talking about the fact that the subs call him Foreman Spike. I can understand how that's a bit jarring.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Tempura Wizard posted:

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that Takahashi Meijin (a.k.a Master Higgins, 16-shot) hates eggplants, and that found its way into Adventure Island as a power-down item.

Specifically, he didn't like the outside of an eggplant.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

You really don't see why a company would want to avoid naming a character after a term used to deride black people. Really.

I give up.

E: Unless you're talking about the fact that the subs call him Foreman Spike. I can understand how that's a bit jarring.

I was talking about Blackie. How, exactly, is the name "Blackie" in and of itself offensive to anyone? Oh no, it has the word "black" in it, so it must be something derogatory aimed at black people in some way? Even though the game doesn't have any dark-skinned characters or any reference to them? It's a real name, in the real world. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Bocc Kob posted:

I was talking about Blackie. How, exactly, is the name "Blackie" in and of itself offensive to anyone? Oh no, it has the word "black" in it, so it must be something derogatory aimed at black people in some way? Even though the game doesn't have any dark-skinned characters or any reference to them? It's a real name, in the real world. :colbert:

because "blackie" is an actual slur? like, i'm not just assuming it based on the way it sounds, it's an actual slur that's been actually used against black people

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GidgetNomates posted:

because "blackie" is an actual slur? like, i'm not just assuming it based on the way it sounds, it's an actual slur that's been actually used against black people

Yeah, this. Also, who the gently caress is named Blackie, Bocc Kob?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Because this is exactly the place to have that discussion.

(e: although yeah, not a good name)

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 29, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Blackie

I don't agree with Bocc Kob at all by the way.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

E: yah, not the place for this discussion, necessary dogpile already created

Lock fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 29, 2012

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Lock posted:

E: yah, not the place for this discussion, necessary dogpile already created
Well one of the biggest metal guitarists of the 80s used it as his name and I recall people of color giving absolutely 0 fucks. Dude still acts and performs under the name to this day and it has never been a big deal.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Edison Carter posted:

Well one of the biggest metal guitarists of the 80s used it as his name and I recall people of color giving absolutely 0 fucks. Dude still acts and performs under the name to this day and it has never been a big deal.

Cool, let's leave it at that and move on.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Edit: I was still typing. :smith:

Watching the Densha de Go episode again, my brain keeps adding an extra "go!" to the end. Yuuyu! :argh:

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 29, 2012

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
I think I may have found the dullest challenge episode ever. I haven't really had any problems with any shows I've watched til now. Saint Seiya may be the driest, dullest episode thus far. It's one saving grace is Abe riding a blow up motorcycle peripheral for a Hang On-like famicom bike racing game, and looking ultra serious about it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Has the current season been any good?

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Has the current season been any good?
I've definitely enjoyed it so far. Captain Tsubasa was surprisingly cinematic for a soccer game, and everyone seemed to have fu pn with it. Dynamite Heady was great, and Arino plated what appeared to be an open world bike delivery boy game. A game where he appeared to just start randomly bombing civilians and cop cars between driving off the road into lakes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

He should play Grand Theft Auto 3, by Capcom.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Doc Hawkins posted:

"All you had to do was follow the drat train, Arino!"

(yes yes I know that's SA but that'd arguably be funnier)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Ơ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Ơ

Doc Hawkins posted:

Once Arino gets his hands on the rocket launcher, I think we'll have another ActRaiser-style episode where he ends up dicking around (mostly blowing up cars and people walking by) rather than continuing the story... It would be amazing! :v:

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

A GTA game would work if they made his mission "Unlock all areas and get a 5 star wanted level", That would take all day and be fun to watch. Hell, that would make a good live challenge.

Probably the only live challenge I would be able to watch through its entirety, subtitled or no.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Obeast posted:

Once Arino gets his hands on the rocket launcher, I think we'll have another ActRaiser-style episode where he ends up dicking around (mostly blowing up cars and people walking by) rather than continuing the story...

Yeah, for about a minute, before he blows his own rear end up or gets stopped by cops, losing all his weapons, and Kan intones a moral about being careless with power ups.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

zari-gani posted:

Weird how the joke wasn't explained, but bou = stick (or rod in this case) and nasu = eggplant, so bou-nasu, just so people don't think Toru Osawa is insane.

I'm not sure which version I like better - the one where Toru Osawa loves terrible puns, or the one where he enjoyed torturing the player and then telling them it's a "bonus". I guess they're both true to a degree, but it seems so much less sadistic now.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

zari-gani posted:

Well I love puns :colbert:

I'm particularly fond of every time Suda busts one out. He gets the best reactions out of Arino and the entire staff. :allears: Then again, Suda is pretty much awesome in general.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm not sure which version I like better - the one where Toru Osawa loves terrible puns, or the one where he enjoyed torturing the player and then telling them it's a "bonus". I guess they're both true to a degree, but it seems so much less sadistic now.

I liked the version where he enjoyed hitting people with an eggplant tied to a stick. Does make a lot more sense in context.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYZySib4kM

I'm really sorry.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

You bastard.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

You are a cruel person.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It'd be even better if you had the description act as though it was a leaked bumper.

Seith
Sep 28, 2011

I'm Canadian so this doesn't affect me like it does you yanks.

and yet it does... you bastard

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm kinda supprised about how well the timing went with the SWCHING sound effect and the Title Transition

Also, I'm Scottish.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know why anybody'd be excited for that. They'd probably have a lovely translator and it'd mean that, legally, all of the well-subbed videos linked in the thread would have to be taken down. They'd probably also cut the time down to fit into Adult Swim's 15-minute-block format, so no more field reports!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

I don't know why anybody'd be excited for that. They'd probably have a lovely translator and it'd mean that, legally, all of the well-subbed videos linked in the thread would have to be taken down. They'd probably also cut the time down to fit into Adult Swim's 15-minute-block format, so no more field reports!

At least it would probably be better than what KOTAK farted in five minutes in Adobe Premier

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Isn't Teletoon becoming Cartoon Network/Adult Swim here in Canada?

dasfoldingfive
Feb 16, 2012

I was really worried until I looked in the description of that video.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I don't know how anyone got worried by that video. Didn't Cartoon Network completely kill off Toonami about 3 years ago? Or did they bring it back at some point? I haven't looked in the direction of Cartoon Network in 2 years or so.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Toonami's been brought back and airs on Adult Swim every Saturday. They even got Steve Blum back to voice Tom.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Unless they're only showing anime from the late 90s and early 2000s I'm not interested. :colbert:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Shlapintogan posted:

Toonami's been brought back and airs on Adult Swim every Saturday. They even got Steve Blum back to voice Tom.

That's cool. Something about it being on Adult Swim irks me a bit though. It's just not the same.

Back in my day. :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Do they show non-anime Japanese shows in Toonami? And what is with the robot and the starship?