Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
drat, I got mine from Amazon 20 days ago for $399.99 :cry:

It's amazing and everyone should get one.

Is it worth spending ~$30 to get a PCI-E SATA 3 card for my SATA 2 motherboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Unless you have two SSDs that you transfer files between or your regularly get over 300 MB/s from a big hard drive array, absolutely not.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Probably not worth it even then. $30 won't buy you a good SATA card.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Constantly LARPing posted:

So my second Mushkin Chronos 120 GB died on me today. The first one died in about two weeks, and this one in under two months. Am I just unlucky, or is it time to cut my losses and invest in a Crucial or Intel or something and just use the RMAd Mushkin for backup?

I have two 120GB's for over a year without issue.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fookolt posted:

Squirrel the money away for your next upgrade instead.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Squirrel the money away for your next upgrade instead.

Sage advice. I was stupid enough to look at newegg this morning. I should have learned my lesson a very long time ago. But I did it and I've been fighting off the sulks the rest of the day. if I could get the mobo / CPU combos they are selling on there for anywhere near that here I'd drop the $ in a heartbeat like that one with the A8-3850 for like $150. I'd fix my SATA 1, damaged USB, lovely mobo and outdated CPU issue all in one and for a fraction of what I would be paying here.

Running this SSD in SATA 1 and no AHCI is kind of irritating me. Under-utilized hardware is a pet peeve of mine.That even tends to apply to addressable RAM. But that's just me. Besides, given spare RAM I will fill it. RAMDisk > SSD > Spinner > USB drive > CD/DVD > Tape drive > OCZ SSD after all.

PetPixel
Feb 15, 2007
In a loincloth.
Wrong thread.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone ever dealt with the OCZ Deneva 2 series? We just found a 480gb one in the box, never used sitting on a desk. Apparently it was sent as a demo. Time to see how it compares to my 512 Crucial M4.

ch0desmuggler
Jan 17, 2005

fookolt posted:

No. I did this and realized after the fact that PCI-E 1x bus speed isn't much faster than SATA 2, so it was practically a worthless move. On top of that it added a few seconds to my boot time.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

the spyder posted:

Anyone ever dealt with the OCZ Deneva 2 series? We just found a 480gb one in the box, never used sitting on a desk. Apparently it was sent as a demo. Time to see how it compares to my 512 Crucial M4.

Its basically a enterprise-featured Vertex 3 with possibly higher grade NAND. It really depends which configuration it is though and what over-provisioning level.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I have a situation where I believe a SSD would help performance considerably, but have a concern about constant writes...

A little background first:
Currently specing out some machines for work that will be doing NVR/DVR recording
duties for lots of IP cameras. The machines will be running Windows 7.

Video data is spread across several HDs but for performance reasons the OS is installed on its own smaller HD.

The video software writes the video data to the storage drives, however it also maintains a MS SQL Express database that is used to locate video events and other data. It puts this database on the OS drive. The video software continuously writes to this database at the rate of around 100KB/sec. The DB generally stays around 1GB in size.

When seeking through any video during playback, the software has scan though the DB to get the location of video files. You can definitely tell when you have a slow hardrive for the OS/DB drive due to the sheer amount of database reads.

I would think a SSD would boost performance considerably for playback, but I am concerned what effect the continuous writing would have on SSD lifetime.. Any thoughts?

Edit: I was considering a Crucial M4 128GB...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The M4 is rated at 40GB per day for 5 years

100KB/second is 6MB/minute, 360MB/hour, 8.64GB/day

So you should be good (if my math is right)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Is that 100 KB sequential or random? If it's random, you might actually have significant write amplification. Probably not enough to reach up to 40 GB/day of actual writes with ~8GB of data, but maybe.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

stevewm posted:

I would think a SSD would boost performance considerably for playback, but I am concerned what effect the continuous writing would have on SSD lifetime.. Any thoughts?
There's no impact on SSD lifespan from low volume writes. The only thing that becomes an issue is if you're writing a large amount of data fast enough to exhaust all the unused memory, which can impact wear levelling efficiency. 100KB/sec is absolutely nothing, though. Just make sure your OS drive is at least 120GB and TRIM is enabled. If TRIM cannot be enabled for some reason, you'll need to use a Sandforce-based drive.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Well I guess I'll go with the SSD then :)

The mobo has a Z77 chipset and SATA3 connectors, Win 7 OS and I will be installing the Intel RST drivers. So TRIM should not be an issue.

Just wish mechanical HDs would go back down... 8TB of space is not cheap especially when you cannot use the cheaper "green" drives!

ch0desmuggler
Jan 17, 2005
SAMSUNG 830 256GB is going on sale for $189.99 on Newegg until 11:59pm PST 6/28/12
Promo Code: EMCYTZT1815

~74 cents/GB

This is down from $250 or almost $1/GB

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Bob Morales posted:

The M4 is rated at 40GB per day for 5 years
That's pretty impressive - the Intel 520 series are only rated what amounts to 20GB/day for 5 years.

Infected Mushroom
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not sure how well regarded they are but Kingston 128GB drives are down to £59.98 on Dabs right now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Yeah, I got that email too, I thought it was a V200+ so I of course went a bit over the top in my excitement at how cheap things were getting. But it's a JMicron based drive. Still, very cheap. I'm liking this SSD price crash that's happening..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Infected Mushroom posted:

I'm not sure how well regarded they are but Kingston 128GB drives are down to £59.98 on Dabs right now.

Kingston makes a bunch of different drives with different controllers, and even though it's a JMicron drive like HalloKitty said, you'll still see a huge improvement from installing one.

I have a 64GB Kingston with a JMicron controller, and I took it out of this Core Quad Ubuntu box I had and put the 750GB 7200RPM drive back in it. Using it now is like :suicide:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Using my netbook with a mechanical HDD is the same. I can't believe how much different computers are with SSDs, holy poo poo.

vvvv: I got the SSD for my desktop. My netbook cost 1/3 of what I spent on the SSD. I can live without it cause it's a netbook.

Odette fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 28, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A good SSD will make even a netbook pretty tolerable. Too bad they universally have lovely screens (or had, last time I checked).

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
I just put a 128GB Crucial M4 into my Vaio, and it's amazing. It's like a brand new laptop. At the same time, though, I was going to also get an external drive, because 128GB isn't enough for like a music library and whatnot, but then I thought: this laptop already has a pretty big platter drive in it, and so far that's just going to go to waste. So instead I got the SSD and a 2.5" external enclosure, which my old platter drive is now sitting in. I saved easily $150 or so this way, but now I'm wondering if there are any downsides to this kind of setup. Is my $20 enclosure in danger of frying my drive or anything like that?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That 360GB OCZ Agility 3 for $200 right now is a smoking deal on a smoking pile of crap.

On the other hand, Tom's has an article where they try to figure out why the OCZ Vertex 4 128GB is having sustained write issues when it's half-full.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/vertex-4-ssd-write-performance,3235.html

:wth:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Juffo-Wup posted:

I just put a 128GB Crucial M4 into my Vaio, and it's amazing. It's like a brand new laptop. At the same time, though, I was going to also get an external drive, because 128GB isn't enough for like a music library and whatnot, but then I thought: this laptop already has a pretty big platter drive in it, and so far that's just going to go to waste. So instead I got the SSD and a 2.5" external enclosure, which my old platter drive is now sitting in. I saved easily $150 or so this way, but now I'm wondering if there are any downsides to this kind of setup. Is my $20 enclosure in danger of frying my drive or anything like that?

No, you're just more likely to drop it/forget it/break the connectors on your laptop and/or the enclosure somehow.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Alereon posted:

If TRIM cannot be enabled for some reason, you'll need to use a Sandforce-based drive.
This surprises me as I was under the impression the vast majority of controllers had native cleanup routines during idle time even without TRIM, this not the case? Sandforce the only controller that does that?

It's a minor point as if I get an SSD it will likely be with a new system so I may be able to stay in Win7 always, but I occasionally boot into XP just for a few games which run substantially better at the moment.

So if I want to dual-boot XP with an SSD without native cleanup, but say I'm only in XP for a few hours at a time and 90% in Win7 - would this even matter?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Sandforce's background GC and write amplification are vastly better than other manufacturers, they're pretty much the only drives that can be used in a system without TRIM support without incurring a growing performance penalty over the long term. Anandtech specifically recommends against using Marvell-based drives (Crucial M4, Intel SSD 510) on Macs for that reason. Dual-booting isn't an issue though, especially if you're not doing substantial writes, and you can always TRIM the drive manually if you think performance is being affected. That said, you probably won't have any reason to dual-boot into XP on a modern system.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Quick question. would this board be SSD friendly?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-S%20UCC/?cat=Specifications

Simply put, including postage I can get it for about $70 which is only a tiny fraction of what I'm looking at to put together a new system. At least this will get me back to roughly where I was before the old board failed. There are no deals to be had in this bloody country so it's a U.K. import.

Anyhow, I want something that will play nice with the SanDisk Extreme I bought. Ie at least allow me to use it the way it should be instead of a SATA1 HDD.

Bummer is that board is mini ATX form factor, but it's roughly on par with the old board. Still using the RAM and CPU in this lovely ASUS board. Been looking at benchmarks and nothing available locally below about $250 gets above where the venerable Athlon 64 x2 4000+ is.

Oh sonofabitch. The benchmarking utility I couldn't find in debian has mysteriously appeared. Might as well run it.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

General_Failure posted:

Quick question. would this board be SSD friendly?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-S%20UCC/?cat=Specifications

Simply put, including postage I can get it for about $70 which is only a tiny fraction of what I'm looking at to put together a new system. At least this will get me back to roughly where I was before the old board failed. There are no deals to be had in this bloody country so it's a U.K. import.

Anyhow, I want something that will play nice with the SanDisk Extreme I bought. Ie at least allow me to use it the way it should be instead of a SATA1 HDD.

Bummer is that board is mini ATX form factor, but it's roughly on par with the old board. Still using the RAM and CPU in this lovely ASUS board. Been looking at benchmarks and nothing available locally below about $250 gets above where the venerable Athlon 64 x2 4000+ is.

Oh sonofabitch. The benchmarking utility I couldn't find in debian has mysteriously appeared. Might as well run it.

It is prehistoric and lovely, don't do it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Sinestro posted:

It is prehistoric and lovely, don't do it.

It's also newer than what I have. Don't suppose you know of a decent online store that ships internationally? The hardware prices in Australia are absolute bullshit right now. It was pointed out to me that it's probably because the government is pulling one of their scams and gave everyone a token payment to distract them from the imminent wallet raping. Last time they did this prices on everything shot right up and everywhere started offering "sales" and "special deals" to part fools with their money.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Not to go on a derail but it surprises me that technology is that expensive in Australia. I mean, you are a stone's throw away from Japan and Taiwan. Is it a protectionist policies issue?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

TerryLennox posted:

Not to go on a derail but it surprises me that technology is that expensive in Australia. I mean, you are a stone's throw away from Japan and Taiwan. Is it a protectionist policies issue?

No, not at all. Or at least not that I know of. I've seen such forces at work in the U.S. but we don't seem to have it. Pretty sure it's all happening at the retail, or sometimes supplier level. i could show you things in some of the home electronics stores that they sell for $50 and show you the exact same item which I purchased for $2 with free postage from China. Not even rebadged.

The Governments most recent bout of paranoia has slowed down imports a hell of a lot recently. I could buy something in China or HK and it'd be in my mailbox / handed to me at my door in two days. Currently it's taking 6 weeks to two months because they are going nuts searching everything for drugs and for things on their huge blacklist. Hell, i know someone that was sent a threat letter recently with lots of legalese, $200 fine, court blah blah over a pair of training nunchuks. I have no loving idea how to spell that. Anyway these things are foam rubber, plastic inside and a short length of nylon cord. The melee equivalent of a nerf gun ffs. Apparently plain old laser pointers and various other things like that need a permit. gently caress this insanity.

Anyway what iw as saying is they don't have the whole "Buy Australian" thing going on for import items. It's just retailers ganging up and raping consumers because they know they can get away with it because most people simply don't know better.

So pretty much I'm simply saying "gently caress buying from Australia if I'm going to be robbed".

I think I'll send newegg a polite e-mail now.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

General_Failure posted:

No, not at all. Or at least not that I know of. I've seen such forces at work in the U.S. but we don't seem to have it. Pretty sure it's all happening at the retail, or sometimes supplier level. i could show you things in some of the home electronics stores that they sell for $50 and show you the exact same item which I purchased for $2 with free postage from China. Not even rebadged.

The Governments most recent bout of paranoia has slowed down imports a hell of a lot recently. I could buy something in China or HK and it'd be in my mailbox / handed to me at my door in two days. Currently it's taking 6 weeks to two months because they are going nuts searching everything for drugs and for things on their huge blacklist. Hell, i know someone that was sent a threat letter recently with lots of legalese, $200 fine, court blah blah over a pair of training nunchuks. I have no loving idea how to spell that. Anyway these things are foam rubber, plastic inside and a short length of nylon cord. The melee equivalent of a nerf gun ffs. Apparently plain old laser pointers and various other things like that need a permit. gently caress this insanity.

Anyway what iw as saying is they don't have the whole "Buy Australian" thing going on for import items. It's just retailers ganging up and raping consumers because they know they can get away with it because most people simply don't know better.

So pretty much I'm simply saying "gently caress buying from Australia if I'm going to be robbed".

I think I'll send newegg a polite e-mail now.

edit: In case you are curious:

me posted:

Has Newegg.com ever considered international sales? As an Australian I can say you would absolutely clean up if you offered shipping to here. It'd practically be a public service to millions of people. Not only by providing affordable, good quality items to people, but by the retail equivalent of natural selection. Adaption or extinction. You could help convert the rampant profiteering here into healthy competition.

Given the chance I would buy from you. I'm sure like many people I have gazed upon your catalog in awe over the product : price ratio, and just checked shipping again... just in case things have changed. But they haven't. Instead I'm left looking at stores who charge multiples of what you do and usually just give up in disgust.

I don't know who this message will find, or if it does any good. I can only hope that it at least adds some small weight toward opening up your arms to embrace the rest of the world.

Kindest regards,

(me)

Yes it's as cheesy as hell. But I know what I'm doing.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

General_Failure posted:

edit: In case you are curious:

Yes it's as cheesy as hell. But I know what I'm doing.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ will ship to Australia, and they will send a 256GB Crucial M4 to Australia for about A$232 all in.

These guys got my business after Amazon decided they didn't want my money.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Mr Chips posted:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ will ship to Australia, and they will send a 256GB Crucial M4 to Australia for about A$232 all in.

These guys got my business after Amazon decided they didn't want my money.

Amazon are cunts.

I just missed on an i5 760 and a decent board on eBay because it decided it wanted me to sign in again with <20 seconds remaining and went to the whole default confirm bid bullshit. Goddamnit. Could have had it for about $220.

Anyway thanks for the heads up. I have to go, so I'll have a look later on.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Due to how pleased I am with my 480GB OWC SSD, after being asked for a "cheap" SSD recommendations, I've pointed a client to these:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDEX6G060/

$93 (SSD + 3.5" bracket) for a 60GB SSD. They will be used with Linux and XP systems, so the built-in garbage-collection makes them stand out.

They mostly want them for the speed and reliability. They may even be going from some 160-320 GB HDDs, and the smaller drive is to encourage more people to move their crap to our network storage instead of saving everything locally.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
For $74.99 you can get a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe with adapter, and it's using the much superior Synchronous NAND versus the Asynchronous used in the OWC drive, which helps with the performance penalty from using such a small drive.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This is probably a stupid question but...

My wifes desktop is a P4 2.8GHz system with 2GB of RAM running Vista and some lovely hard drive.

She's fine with it, but every time I have to do something on it I want to scream in frustration. Would it be totally ridiculous to slap one of these 70 dollar SSD's in it so I don't have to wait 15 minutes for Firefox to load or whatever?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

This is probably a stupid question but...

My wifes desktop is a P4 2.8GHz system with 2GB of RAM running Vista and some lovely hard drive.

She's fine with it, but every time I have to do something on it I want to scream in frustration. Would it be totally ridiculous to slap one of these 70 dollar SSD's in it so I don't have to wait 15 minutes for Firefox to load or whatever?

People do it in 1.6 GHz Atom netbooks. It will help, that computer probably has some lovely 40GB hard drive that's really slow and would probably see a noticeable improvement from installing a modern 7200 RPM drive. I'd probably throw 4GB of RAM while you're at it (maybe find it for $10 on CL or SA-Mart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tom's did an article on installing SSD's in older machines. Although, their '2005 system' was a 3.6GHz Pentium 4

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hard-drive,2956.html

That test system also had 2GB RAM and a 300GB hard drive.

Most people notice a huge difference. If you haven't used an SSD yet, you'll see what everyone's talking about. Plus it's only $75.

• Locked thread