Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Rodyle posted:

I think it's worth noting here that Waver is actually kind of a dick to his students. He promises, for example, to never teach Rin anything because she doesn't know anything about Akibahara and is thus the "worst Japanese in the world."
Sorry, but this is great. Waver owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Rodyle posted:

I think it's worth noting here that Waver is actually kind of a dick to his students. He promises, for example, to never teach Rin anything because she doesn't know anything about Akibahara and is thus the "worst Japanese in the world."

Where the hell is that from? F/HA? That owns (even though Akiba is terrible) and Rin is the worst Japanese in the world.

Cephas: That's certainly an interesting reading, but it doesn't entirely defeat my point. First off, it does ignore Waver becoming swagmaster general in living out Rider's ideals. Secondly, Rider has his Reality Marble destroyed and his army cast into oblivion, but if he had the juice he could do it again and again. He gets got because of his heritage (Enkidu) and Ea being custom made to go against him; Rider wants to conquer the world, Gilgamesh already owns it.

The world is much broader than he is, and he accepts it when he looks at the map. Gilgamesh is much stronger than he is (although Rider had been ground down by jousting with Saber), and he accepts that with his dying breath. He shows no malice, hatred or disillusionment; in fact he's happy. He reaches Okeanos in death; he doesn't grasp Gil but he grasps those endless waves. He understands that Okeanos was his drive, his life's spark. At the end of a full pseudo-life, his drive is completed. You could even say that this is happier for him, what with the whole "And Alexander wept when he had no more lands to conquer" thing. Doesn't his death scene in the book have him actually walk along Okeanos' shores, too?

If anything, Gil's belief that there was nothing of value in the 4th gets shaken, since he wants to bone Saber and Rider earns his respect even in getting chumped out. Even then, Gil's belief in his kingship and his own swag is the only thing that lets him fight off the madness of the black mud.

F/Z is definitely about clashes of ideals and how they can influence people, but nobody's gets destroyed. Saber ends up broken because hers are so resolute and it takes Fate route to unstick her from the stupid. Kerry desperately searches for validation after capping Angra Ilya and finds it in Shirou taking up the mantle. Kirei stops dicking around and accepts that he's loving evil, and it liberates him. Gil is able to get a body because he believes a king should take on all good and all evil. In the anime, Caster dies seeing Jeanne d'Arc forgive him.

On the flip: Fast Wheels' makes him a depraved animal, Lancer's make him suffer way more than he has to (loving hell, just tell Sola about your Love Spot before she wants to jam your Gae Dearg in hers), Kariya's only serve as a warning to others and Tokiomi's gets him killed because he's boring. Their inflexibility leads to tragedy, not their disillusionment.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

MadRhetoric posted:

Where the hell is that from? F/HA? That owns (even though Akiba is terrible) and Rin is the worst Japanese in the world.

One of the side materials, I think.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So... what's with the 'Fast Wheels' nickname? Think I'm missing a reference here.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's because he ends in a wheelchair.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Darth Walrus posted:

So... what's with the 'Fast Wheels' nickname? Think I'm missing a reference here.

It's a nickname that the commenters on the Niconico stream stuck to him because of the wheelchair.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So since Gilgamesh has a body, does that mean he could have theoretically stayed out of the 5th War and survived to do whatever he wants?

Regarding prana, in UBW does that mean he didn't nom on children as Shinji could provide the prana?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Shinji has no magic abilities.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Shinji has no Magic Circuits, period, I believe. No capacity to do magic, and quite pissed off at the world and Sakura because of it.

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

Raenir Salazar posted:

So since Gilgamesh has a body, does that mean he could have theoretically stayed out of the 5th War and survived to do whatever he wants?

Regarding prana, in UBW does that mean he didn't nom on children as Shinji could provide the prana?

I assumed that with Kirei dead, the orphans in the church basement couldnt feed Gil anymore (connection being gone, and all) and so Gil didnt actually have any source of prana. Then again, the connection would only have been severed for a matter of hours at the time of the final confrontation, and Gil doesnt seem to use any noble phantasms between Kirei's death and the fight against Shirou.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

It's a nickname that the commenters on the Niconico stream stuck to him because of the wheelchair.

Ah, was thinking of completely the wrong character then.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

The new body just means he can remain in the world without the grail support. All masters pretty much need the Grail Support along with their mana supply to reliably maintain the existence of Servants.

The new body just removed the bigger upkeep. Gilgamesh still needs some mana to remain in the world and to utilize his abilities. But his A+ independent action level pretty much allows him to stay by his own power with the new body without the need of a master support. He just needs to find more mana supply if he wants to do more stuff.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone link that Terminator parody with Kariya again?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

http://i.imgur.com/rDhhd.jpg

Spoilers for the finale.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Speaking of F/Z fanstuff, someone on Danbooru translated a really funny doujin recently. It's about if certain characters were (very) deredere. There are too many to post here, so I put them all on Minus with the translations in the description. I'm going to leave my absolute favorites here, though.

Kiritsugu: Saber… Wi… Will you fight together with me? (Is that… bad?)
Saber: Gladly!! My Master!! Finally you’re talking to me~

Maiya: Kyun ♥
Irisviel: Kyaaaaaa! Maiya is so cuuuuuuuuuute!
Maiya: Wai… M-Madame…
Irisviel: MAIYAMAIYAMAIYAMAIYA*pant**pant*

Kirei: Rin… Would you like to go out somewhere with me?

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 28, 2012

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

That last one is gold.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Rin is a very smart child.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

So apparently Ufotable announced at Anime Expo that they're going to do Heaven's Feel. But I haven't seen anything that 100% confirms this yet. I have to admit that I'm not excited for it. I don't think that F/SN is a story that can be told in anything outside of a visual novel, no matter how talented the people doing it are. It will be cool to see Kotomine vs Shirou animated, though.

But anyway, I've been posting fan stuff a lot lately so here's three of my favorite fan videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUBJLXyaTU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZcCAEAC4S4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpN2ntbL95M

Nico really is the happiest place on earth.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 30, 2012

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Ugh, really? Half the route is Shirou sitting around and slowly freaking out more, that'll come off well visually.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I dunno, don't think Heaven's Feel would be hurt all that much by having some of the fluff excised.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I won't be satisfied unless they do Sparks Liner High in a bonus episode.

Mezmerize
Feb 24, 2012

SOLO MID OR I FEED

Marin Karin posted:

So apparently Ufotable announced at Anime Expo that they're going to do Heaven's Feel. I have to admit that I'm not excited for it. I don't think that F/SN is a story that can be told in anything outside of a visual novel, no matter how talented the people doing it are. It will be cool to see Kotomine vs Shirou animated, though.

But anyway, I've been posting fan stuff a lot lately so here's three of my favorite fan videos:

Any links to this? I check UFOtable's twitter and I found nothing. and I've not been able to find anything on 2ch

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Marin Karin posted:

So apparently Ufotable announced at Anime Expo that they're going to do Heaven's Feel. I have to admit that I'm not excited for it. I don't think that F/SN is a story that can be told in anything outside of a visual novel, no matter how talented the people doing it are. It will be cool to see Kotomine vs Shirou animated, though.

For various reasons (including the lack of resolution of Sakura's plot thread in the other routes), Heaven's Feel is the route that works best as a sequel to Zero. This should be interesting.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Holy poo poo really, I can see why people would be weary about an adaptation but at the very least it has to be better than Deen adaptations.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Mezmerize posted:

Any links to this? I check UFOtable's twitter and I found nothing. and I've not been able to find anything on 2ch

No, sorry. I'll edit in that it might not be a 100%. In the past few hours I've been reading about people getting messages from their friends at AX going crazy over Ufotable's announcement. Maybe Ufotable just talked about HF and everyone assumed that they meant that they're definitely going to animate it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

serebralassazin posted:

Holy poo poo really, I can see why people would be weary about an adaptation but at the very least it has to be better than Deen adaptations.

Well that by itself is kind of irritating. Speaking strictly for myself (because I recognize HF has fans too), it'd be my favorite route getting a loving DEEN movie while the one I hate the most gets a UFOtable series. The route that is half cooking and having sex with Sakura gets the big budget, competent storytelling, and best runtime? Yeah that's great, just great.

Aside of that, I'd really rather see them put Fate aside after CCC comes out, this franchise has had its time in the sun. Maybe come back much later and do Prototype or something, but really, we've had enough for now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
ufotable could just half-rear end 75% of the episodes, and as long as they put in their A game for the last 3 days' worth of Heaven's Feel it would still be incredible and far better than anything we've seen from DEEN.

However I'll believe it when I see it, seems too good to be true.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

ufotable could just half-rear end 75% of the episodes, and as long as they put in their A game for the last 3 days' worth of Heaven's Feel it would still be incredible and far better than anything we've seen from DEEN.

However I'll believe it when I see it, seems too good to be true.

I do admit, I would love to see animated Apocalypse Boxing.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Well that by itself is kind of irritating. Speaking strictly for myself (because I recognize HF has fans too), it'd be my favorite route getting a loving DEEN movie while the one I hate the most gets a UFOtable series. The route that is half cooking and having sex with Sakura gets the big budget, competent storytelling, and best runtime? Yeah that's great, just great.

Aside of that, I'd really rather see them put Fate aside after CCC comes out, this franchise has had its time in the sun. Maybe come back much later and do Prototype or something, but really, we've had enough for now.

Put aside the Saber License to Print Money? Nasu?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm gonna prepare myself for more Saber suffering and her not getting a happy ending. :smith:

Mezmerize
Feb 24, 2012

SOLO MID OR I FEED

Marin Karin posted:

No, sorry. I'll edit in that it might not be a 100%. In the past few hours I've been reading about people getting messages from their friends at AX going crazy over Ufotable's announcement. Maybe Ufotable just talked about HF and everyone assumed that they meant that they're definitely going to animate it.

Ah drat, seeing as I cant find anything on the subject I'm going to chalk it up to someone misconstruing a quote where someone from ufotable said something along the lines of "haha yeah if we had the rights we totally would!" and someone took it as "WE ARE WORKING ON HF ANIME AT THIS VERY MOMENT."

tl;dr

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Well drat it that sucks. Also, Rodyle I would love to see an Unlimited Blade Works series from UFO table but Heaven's Feel is fine by me as well.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
The source of this was from the Fate/Zero finale screening and QA session. The final question of that session was whether or not ufotable would work on Heaven's Feel.

Atsuhiro Iwakami (Aniplex) said that it is all up to Type-Moon.
Then Hikaru Kondo (ufotable) went into a long explanation of how we won't be seeing anything for a while.
At the end of that explanation, Rikiya Koyama (Kiritsugu) came up to the mic and literally said "SOON". In English.

Personally, from how it was described in the QA session, HF is possibly in deliberation but we won't be seeing it until 2014 or so.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

InsaneZero posted:

The source of this was from the Fate/Zero finale screening and QA session. The final question of that session was whether or not ufotable would work on Heaven's Feel.

Atsuhiro Iwakami (Aniplex) said that it is all up to Type-Moon.
Then Hikaru Kondo (ufotable) went into a long explanation of how we won't be seeing anything for a while.
At the end of that explanation, Rikiya Koyama (Kiritsugu) came up to the mic and literally said "SOON". In English.

Personally, from how it was described in the QA session, HF is possibly in deliberation but we won't be seeing it until 2014 or so.

To me the whole answer sounded like a dodge (a lot of "we have to talk to type-moon....if it does happen it won't be for a very long time..." and so on). I seriously doubt they have any plans for it in the works yet. I think Koyama was just loving around, he got pretty silly by the end of the panel.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Good_Haro posted:

To me the whole answer sounded like a dodge (a lot of "we have to talk to type-moon....if it does happen it won't be for a very long time..." and so on). I seriously doubt they have any plans for it in the works yet. I think Koyama was just loving around, he got pretty silly by the end of the panel.

That was a troll move, but Koyama was glorious at the session in general.

btw: I was the guy that asked about the ufotable staff. It was on the behalf of someone on NeoGAF.

InsaneZero fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 30, 2012

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

InsaneZero posted:

I am taking this as rather than Ufotable doing it, Koyama will personally animate it himself with poorly-drawn sketches and do the voices of every character.

And I would pay money for it.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

InsaneZero posted:

That was a troll move, but Koyama was glorious at the session in general.

Indeed, he was hilarious. I felt bad for most of the staff with the really intensely spergtastic level of most of the questions though.

InsaneZero posted:

btw: I was the guy that asked about the ufotable staff. It was on the behalf of someone on NeoGAF.

Ah, cool. That was probably one of the only decent questions too.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Good_Haro posted:

Ah, cool. That was probably one of the only decent questions too.

This reminded me of that Shirou question.

gently caress that Shirou question.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

InsaneZero posted:

This reminded me of that Shirou question.

gently caress that Shirou question.

THANK YOU. Man, what a terrible note to start the Q&A on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Good_Haro posted:

THANK YOU. Man, what a terrible note to start the Q&A on...

... And what was the Shirou question? (I was going to ask you on Twitter but forgot)

• Locked thread