Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Some good stuff xpiring June 30th/July 1st:

Days of Heaven, a beautiful Terence Malick film. If you enjoy his stuff at all, this one is unmissable.

Thanks for this recommendation. I was okay with Tree of Life but this was a gorgeous movie. I've always thought Malick was perfect for a kinda Faulknerian Americana flick, but didn't know he had already done one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thanks for the responses guys. Weird that I choose Netflix over Amazon and their cloud going down messes it up. :sigh:

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Volume posted:

I just got done watching Insidious and Netflix is loads up fine for me.

Speaking of Insidious, great movie for the first half. Relies a lot on jump scares sadly but they are well done. Second half is just a giant turd.

Yeah, that movie was a serious disappointment. The first half does almost everything right, and then as soon as they show the demon for the first time, it just gets unrelentingly stupid as gently caress.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
We better be getting some smashing new additions for all the great poo poo they're getting rid of tomorrow...

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Holy crap. It's probably been mentioned already but everybody go watch Rango right now.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Holy crap. It's probably been mentioned already but everybody go watch Rango right now.

Can't really be mentioned enough. If you have Netflix, enjoy Westerns or Animation even a little bit, do yourself a favor and watch Rango.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Aside from all the Western homages they manage to squeeze in the whole main plot is Chinatown (sans incest). Think about that: a kids movie, riffing on Chinatown. That's amazing.

IMDB insists Rattlesnake Jake was modeled after Lee van Cleef but Bill Nighy was clearly doing Jack Palance's gunfighter from Shane.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just watched The Girlfriend Experience and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I'm a sucker for mumblecore and this flick delivered nicely.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Can someone define mumblecore for me? It's a word I've seen a lot, and I hate it, but I still don't know if I hate mumblecore itself or just the name.

It's been recommended a ton of times, but if you haven't watched Knuckle yet get on it. Also the documentary on Pruitt-Igoe is thought provoking and pretty wonderful.

e:whoops thought this was general chat

SEX HAVER 40000 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 30, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

magnificent7 posted:

Okay. Sure. Buuuuuuuuuut, how does this logic apply to the hell that is HBO. They've got Harry Potter and the Defly Hallows on almost as frequent a replay as Lord Of The Rings. (Yes! Lord Of The Rings! It's on eternal rerun every 24 hours). Sooo then. How does this logic of not buying the DVD apply.
Again, apples and oranges. You pay $8 to have access to everything on Netflix streaming.

Meanwhile, HBO charges you a hefty fee on top of the relationship they have with cable companies forcing you to buy pretty much all other cable packages before you're even allowed to subscribe to HBO.
All that just to get a small selection of newer releases that they play at pre-determined times. And even that has been so much of a drain on HBO that they have been spending more of their money making their own content over the past decade or so.

Part of it is that these studios are already in a cozy relationship with traditional media which leads them to tread carefully, but at the same time Netflix streaming is never going to have an astoundingly popular selection and I don't understand why this is so difficult for people to understand since it's simple math: If Netflix is charging you only $8 for an all-you-can-watch subscription, then they are only paying the owners of the content you watch mere pennies when you watch it. If there is any possible way for those owners to get more money from that content, then they have no incentive to put it on Netflix. I mean, hell, the reason the Starz contract fell apart is because Netflix refused to add a higher price tier to the service.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 30, 2012

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

GonSmithe posted:

Can't really be mentioned enough. If you have Netflix, enjoy Westerns or Animation even a little bit, do yourself a favor and watch Rango.

I guess I'm the only person that found Rango to be pretty average. It's not a bad film by any stretch, but it felt rote and a little draggy, especially that subplot with the moles. And boy howdy, is it ever impressed with its own existentialism.

I'd still recommend it, just not as vehemently.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I checked out Fish Tank since it was brought up earlier, and it was great. It's one of those movies that keeps you alternating between empathy and disbelief. I found myself preparing for boiler-plate move resolutions to a lot of scenes which wound up finding their own natural way.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

RizieN posted:

Whats the consensus on Rare Exports: A Christmas Story ?

I'd say it's half good, but the kid was annoying during the end section where it becomes more like a Speilberg film. Personally I had a hard time with the morality of the end which pretty much amounted to slave trading and exploitation of the elves. Sure, it's just a fun movie, but just felt a bit off. Maybe it was done better in the original short

I very much enjoyed Drones, slightly surreal low budget but inventive office comedy.

Thought Rubber was great, too. 5 of us watched it, and no one wanted to turn it off.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Slackerish posted:

We better be getting some smashing new additions for all the great poo poo they're getting rid of tomorrow...

They just added Transformers: Dark of the Moon that's what you were looking for right

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ape canyon posted:

Can someone define mumblecore for me? It's a word I've seen a lot, and I hate it, but I still don't know if I hate mumblecore itself or just the name.

It can be both, friend.

Somewhat related, I highly recommend watching Classic Albums: The Band. As a retrospective of the Band's discography, it's well-done and quite brief at 59 minutes. Succinct would be a good word. There are some really interesting parts that were either new to me or really drove home that which I already knew. For instance, that basically every individual member of the Band was by himself something of a wünderkind. The sections on how they achieved some of their specific sounds were just mind-blowing - the vocal harmonies, the keyboards, recording in Sammy Davis Jr's pool house. It's very cool.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Monkeyseesaw posted:

Aside from all the Western homages they manage to squeeze in the whole main plot is Chinatown (sans incest). Think about that: a kids movie, riffing on Chinatown. That's amazing.

To be fair, Who Framed Roger Rabbit did that first.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Manky posted:

It can be both, friend.

Yeah, I don't think that's helpful.

"Mumblecore" is basically the sort of film where the entire cast is either staring meaningfully at each other or exchanging awkward, naturalistic dialog. The budget is really low, it's often shot on digital video, and basically (I assume) it's meant to mimic a home video or documentary.

I hate the term, and the closest I've come to seeing a "mumblecore" movie was Lost in Translation, but that film was high-budget and absolutely beautiful to look at.

I also hate when people add "hack" to the end of a word.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I actually don't think I had seen "mumblecore" used to describe film before. I always identified the -core suffix as only applying to music. So thank you for expanding my vocabulary! There aren't shoegaze movies, are there? That would be just awful.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

ape canyon posted:

It's been recommended a ton of times, but if you haven't watched Knuckle yet get on it.

In a similar vein to Knuckle - Pulling John (about professional armwrestling) is very good. I either got recommended it here or Netflix brought it up as a recommendation.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mumblecore movies are the kind of movies that people who still use the word 'hipster' would call hipster movies

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Probably that big storm out of nowhere last night - 50 mph winds were causing temporary power outages all over the place.

Manhatta
Jul 21, 2004

I watched Michael last night, and "enjoyed" it immensely. I was excited about it after reading about it's Cannes debut, as I'm a huge fan of Michael Haneke (this is the directorial debut of I believe his usual casting director) and it definitely shares a lot of his style. The subject matter will probably turn most everyone off by default; it's about a man who keeps a 10 year old boy captive in his basement. There's nothing explicit, and a lot of scenes seem pointless at first (the man brushing his teeth, shopping at Ikea) but they become devastating once more is revealed. Also, the ending will polarize, all I'll say about it is it's a very Haneke ending.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

ape canyon posted:

It's been recommended a ton of times, but if you haven't watched Knuckle yet get on it. Also the documentary on Pruitt-Igoe is thought provoking and pretty wonderful.

e:whoops thought this was general chat

I hate the term too, but really enjoy the films. They're generally aimless films without a strong plot, but interesting (or annoying) characters. Most are about 20 somethings in that weird phase right after college but before starting a career. I'm drawn to the genre because I saw one of its early films, Funny Ha Ha, when I was exactly in that post college pre career daze--the film really captured what I was feeling and stuck with me.

Edit, here are some mumblecore films on instant if people are curious:
Tiny Furniture http://instantwatcher.com/titles/174977
Hannah Takes The Stairs http://instantwatcher.com/titles/82861

I would even argue The Graduate is mumblecore: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/165051

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 30, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

I would even argue The Graduate is mumblecore: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/165051

The Graduate isn't mumblecore because it's actually a good movie

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Cold Weather is a (pretty good) mumblecore detective movie.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

To be fair, Who Framed Roger Rabbit did that first.

Hmmm sort of. Roger Rabbit is more playing in the same tropes but the details are pretty different. Rango changes the setting and character elements almost completely but keeps the plotting. The water scheme is lifted straight out of Chinatown and Ned Beatty was pretty obviously channeling John Houston.

Roger Rabbit is focused more on telling its own story while Rango is more like a pastiche of loving homages.

WickedIcon posted:

The Graduate isn't mumblecore because it's actually a good movie

I honestly didn't like The Graduate very much. It felt like a series of vignettes. The finale in the church wasn't earned at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dream a Little Dream is on Netflix, I don't know if it's a new addition but holy poo poo did it just make my night.

Traintruction
May 14, 2004

Manhatta posted:

I watched Michael last night, and "enjoyed" it immensely. I was excited about it after reading about it's Cannes debut, as I'm a huge fan of Michael Haneke (this is the directorial debut of I believe his usual casting director) and it definitely shares a lot of his style. The subject matter will probably turn most everyone off by default; it's about a man who keeps a 10 year old boy captive in his basement. There's nothing explicit, and a lot of scenes seem pointless at first (the man brushing his teeth, shopping at Ikea) but they become devastating once more is revealed. Also, the ending will polarize, all I'll say about it is it's a very Haneke ending.

I watched it this morning based on your recommendation. I love depressing movies, and this didn't disappoint. Yikes!

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Is Helvetica no longer on instant?

Can I Watch Pusher 3 without watching the first two? I understand them to not really be sequels but rather the same criminal universe. Also how do the Pusher movies compare to Valhalla and Drive?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Encryptic posted:

Re: Black Death

Yeah, I'll grant the build-up was good and I expected more of it from the end as well. I guess I was expecting there to be a true supernatural/black magic angle to it and they'd end up fighting a demon that was keeping the village alive in return for their souls or something.

The best part of it was that it didn't have any magic, sorcery, zombies, or dragons and had just old fashioned trickery.

Watched "The Way Back" last night, it's worth checking out for some amazing scenery and always entertaining WWII era Siberian prison camp shenanigans. Even though I have AFAIK a dependable 12BMS U-Verse connection, Netlix kept stopping every few minutes and buffering. I'm finding this happening more and more lately. :ughh:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 2, 2012

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

foodfight posted:

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

Do you like human misery? Cry and laugh along with West Virginia's most famous hillbillies. There is some absolutely MESSED UP stuff in this documentary.

This movie alone makes your Netflix monthly fee worth it. You'll watch it once and be thoroughly disgusted by it, but then you'll think back to it and find and endless stream of hilarity. It's kind of like Napoleon Dynamite -- you'll watch it the first time and ask yourself what the heck it is, but then quote the heck out of it when you realize what's happening.

"This is Dennis!!!!"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Erebus posted:

They just added Transformers: Dark of the Moon that's what you were looking for right

Awwwww yes :w00t:

But I haven't seen the second one, how will I keep the story straight??

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Who in their right mind gave the approval to have the original I Spit on your Grave put on Netflix streaming? :psyduck:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Probably the same person that gave approval of human centipede 1 and 2 being on there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Inbetweeners is on Netflix now!

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

Hitch posted:

This movie alone makes your Netflix monthly fee worth it. You'll watch it once and be thoroughly disgusted by it, but then you'll think back to it and find and endless stream of hilarity. It's kind of like Napoleon Dynamite -- you'll watch it the first time and ask yourself what the heck it is, but then quote the heck out of it when you realize what's happening.

"This is Dennis!!!!"

This movie is making me angry. I just watched the girl have a baby, then crush pills and snort them in the room with the newborn. Then she's all distraught when the hospital keeps the baby to observe it. WTF. Are there really people like this???

Great suggestions, I eat this stuff up. Mindless junk while I work from home.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Holy Dread! posted:

This movie is making me angry. I just watched the girl have a baby, then crush pills and snort them in the room with the newborn. Then she's all distraught when the hospital keeps the baby to observe it. WTF. Are there really people like this???

Great suggestions, I eat this stuff up. Mindless junk while I work from home.

Just start doing more research on Jesco White. Jesco on marriage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V5-pp6p9pM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3SEBA-9nU

They're all super hosed up.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Anybody have some old sitcoms or something of the kind from the 90s or early 00s that they know of? I'm almost done with Malcolm in the Middle, and I'm looking for a new series to watch. If I can't find anything, I might just start Breaking Bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Breeze through The Inbetweeners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Inbetweeners is on Netflix now!

I watched a few episodes of this a few months back and it was hilarious. Can't wait to finish it. Thanks for the heads up.

• Locked thread