Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Bash Ironfist posted:

After 2 weeks, we finally got to give Feldman a bath! :toot: He was starting to become One Smelly Dog.

Do you guys have any particular soap you use for your dog? We use this stuff the old vet gave us, but considering how bad they bungled treating him for Giardia, I'm thinking it's time to find something new.

Two weeks isn't that long to go without a bath. At all.

I currently have some "Nootie" products I got at a trade show a couple years ago that will last me forever because my dogs are tiny, and I also bathe them at work sometimes so well I just use that stuff!

Try petedge.com it is great for grooming supplies.

Some of my favorite shampoos from work:

Top Performance Oatmeal Shampoo: http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo.../1110/46412.uts

Dog-Done Dirty shampoo, smells wonderful and works good, but you need to buy a gallon.
http://www.petedge.com/product/PPP-Dog-Gone-Dirty-Shampoo/54050.uts

HydroSurge Apple Oatmeal Shampoo, VERY yummy apple smell! (gallon only)
http://www.petedge.com/product/HydroSurge-Apple-Oatmeal-Shampoo/47162.uts

and well, no matter what shampoo you use, I highly recommend this conditioning spray:
http://www.petedge.com/product/Best-Shot-Ultra-Vitalizing-Mist-16-oz/45624.uts

Rub it into your dogs coat while they are still damp from their bath, and if you can dry them with a dryer. I also sometimes use it between baths to freshen up my dogs, and it makes their coats so soft and shiny. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Greycious posted:

Two weeks isn't that long to go without a bath. At all.

I currently have some "Nootie" products I got at a trade show a couple years ago that will last me forever because my dogs are tiny, and I also bathe them at work sometimes so well I just use that stuff!

Try petedge.com it is great for grooming supplies.

Some of my favorite shampoos from work:

Top Performance Oatmeal Shampoo: http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo.../1110/46412.uts

Dog-Done Dirty shampoo, smells wonderful and works good, but you need to buy a gallon.
http://www.petedge.com/product/PPP-Dog-Gone-Dirty-Shampoo/54050.uts

HydroSurge Apple Oatmeal Shampoo, VERY yummy apple smell! (gallon only)
http://www.petedge.com/product/HydroSurge-Apple-Oatmeal-Shampoo/47162.uts

and well, no matter what shampoo you use, I highly recommend this conditioning spray:
http://www.petedge.com/product/Best-Shot-Ultra-Vitalizing-Mist-16-oz/45624.uts

Rub it into your dogs coat while they are still damp from their bath, and if you can dry them with a dryer. I also sometimes use it between baths to freshen up my dogs, and it makes their coats so soft and shiny. :)

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions! We rub him down with a towel, then use a dryer on him, so that will work.

edit: The dryer is used so that our precious :byodame: Furbaby :byodame: Doesn't stay damp and possibly catch a cold!

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I had some nasty things typed about Delta and their "snub nosed pets" rule. It wasn't helping my anger issues so have a fluffy cat on my new furniture instead.

Something I've always found interesting is how a cat can be intently playing with something, and still seem completely disinterested.

Don't let the teeth fool you, he's 100% friendly. As in will lick you raw if you let him, headbutt till one of you gets tired, friendly.

Really though airlines have practically monopolized air travel, can't keep it profitable because of executive screwery and their line employees and taxpayers get the shaft? I say end airline subsidies and feed the executives who screwed the workers out of their pensions to the turbines.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Admittedly, actual brachy breeds and snub nosed cats can have respiratory issues mid-flight due to all the stress, so they do try to avoid flying them during the summer.

...But yeah, that's obviously just a pit bull ban with them trying to be sneaky. I certainly don't support it.... but I can understand on some level why they're doing it.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

^^^^edit: Oh yeah I understand that part, although to ban them all together I think is a bit extreme. Just doing it to protect their butts.

It use to be $40 to fly with my two chihuahuas in cabin with me. I've gone on flights several hours long and have people at the end across the isle from me only notice I had a dog with me when we got up to leave, because they are that well behaved.

Now it is $125/each. One way. If they catch that I have two in one bag though. :hehe:

Apparently it is CRUEL for me to put two dogs, one being just over 3lbs, the other being around 5lbs, in the same bag together, even though they always snuggle up together at home, and both move around in the bag just fine. They've also been traveling like that for several years. They love that bag and feel extremely safe in there. The one also relies pretty heavily on the other for support when 'scary things' are happening.

On my way home from my out-of-state wedding the airline I was flying with waiting until I got on the plane to make a huge fuss that I had two dogs in my one bag. They were totally comfortable in there. They held up the plane and forced me to purchase another bag for the second dog. All the people around me were pissed at them, because even they agreed the dogs were 1) completely quiet and fine and 2) could move around fine in their bag. Then there was this guy who stalked me after the flight to yell at me for holding up the plane. It was pretty bad.

And well, my biggest complaint...Ever since I started to fly with my dogs starting about five years ago, the airlines require a health certificate from a vet. That costs another $40 roughly right there. But not ONCE has any airline I've ever flown with asked for it.

They don't care if you fly sick animals, and they don't care about the well being of the animals. They only care about what they can make money off.

/end rant

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I think the price should really just depend on the individual animal's behavior and health when being flown. Not like they'd ever implement something like that, but a "pay depending on how much of a pain your dog was" seems pretty reasonable to me.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I recently flew from Portland to Florida with one of my cats, and as much as a pain as it was, it was totally worth it during one part of my flight. I was sitting in the same aisle as a mother with her ~2 year old son, who started crying uncontrollably about an hour before we were going to land. His crying woke my cat up, but it was okay because as soon as the kid saw the cat he yelled KITTY and immediately stopped crying :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
On a 10 hour flight from Gatwick to Atlanta I was on, a guy stunk up the plane bathroom so badly they had to close it off and you could still smell it throughout the cabin and people were starting to complain and get kinda sick. Eventually they moved people who were actually becoming sick to first class just to get them away from the smell.

The entire flight I was imagining that this would be what flying with Frankie would be like.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I'm sure a Frankie bag could be outfitted with some sort of charcoal air filtration system.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bear Rape posted:

I think the price should really just depend on the individual animal's behavior and health when being flown. Not like they'd ever implement something like that, but a "pay depending on how much of a pain your dog was" seems pretty reasonable to me.

They never touch the dog so theoretically no dog should be a pain in the rear end.

:3: Balen and Amy got to ride on a fork lift palette coming out of the plane in Atlanta!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Greycious posted:

On my way home from my out-of-state wedding the airline I was flying with waiting until I got on the plane to make a huge fuss that I had two dogs in my one bag. They were totally comfortable in there.

Get your vet to write you a certificate stating that one is a security/service animal for the other and they have to be kept together. :whatup:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Did not intend to spend my morning debating pit bulls on the local news station's FB post. And I know I should just walk away from that sorta crap, but damnit, I have to get it off my chest. There's some idiot posting articles riddled with confirmation bias saying how ~inherently dangerous and aggressive~ pit bulls are.

did you know that dog-aggression is an inaccurate term and they are not just dog-aggressive, they go after other pets and small children too? :allears: Also that whole "nanny dog" thing was a load of bunk because there's like maybe one citation he could find for it?

:sigh:

Who has some good links on pit history, etc.? I need to stock up. Because apparently I hate being happy and will continue to argue with morons.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
I'm really not totally sure that the pit bull/snub nose ban is necessarily about omgvicious pit bulls, it might be due to the fact that brachycephalic breeds really can't fly all that safely in cargo, and something like 95% of the US population thinks that this is a pit bull:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Skizzles posted:

Did not intend to spend my morning debating pit bulls on the local news station's FB post. And I know I should just walk away from that sorta crap, but damnit, I have to get it off my chest. There's some idiot posting articles riddled with confirmation bias saying how ~inherently dangerous and aggressive~ pit bulls are.

did you know that dog-aggression is an inaccurate term and they are not just dog-aggressive, they go after other pets and small children too? :allears: Also that whole "nanny dog" thing was a load of bunk because there's like maybe one citation he could find for it?

:sigh:

Who has some good links on pit history, etc.? I need to stock up. Because apparently I hate being happy and will continue to argue with morons.

Most of the good info out there on why pit bulls don't eat babies is so deeply entrenched in dog fighting stuff that the average person would never read it.

I just link the usual super fluffly pit bull rescue info pages and move on, people are not open to actual/accurate information on pit bulls and their history.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Steezo posted:

Something I've always found interesting is how a cat can be intently playing with something, and still seem completely disinterested.

That reminds me of what may be my favorite Will Ferrell sketch from SNL, where he is a salesperson at a cat toy manufacturer and insists on testing out the toys.

The part where he looks away and "ignores" the cat dancer toy just to start batting at it again slays me every time.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Nope, best Will Ferrel skit continues to be Dissing your Dog.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/284575
Sorry couldn't find it on youtube.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Did you know that searching GBS for the word "poop" returns 752 matches, but PI has roughly 2,500? :eng101:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Superconsndar posted:

Most of the good info out there on why pit bulls don't eat babies is so deeply entrenched in dog fighting stuff that the average person would never read it.

I just link the usual super fluffly pit bull rescue info pages and move on, people are not open to actual/accurate information on pit bulls and their history.

But Super! I need a real super good source to combat hard-hitting, objective info like this!: http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pit-bull-owners.php

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
The best SNL skit for PI is and will always be

http://www.hulu.com/watch/99942

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Nope, best Will Ferrel skit continues to be Dissing your Dog.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/284575
Sorry couldn't find it on youtube.

Dissing your dog is pretty amazing. That little french bulldog is adorable.

NBC is very vigilant about keeping its most popular stuff off youtube. But that's cool as they are all on hulu.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Pile of Kittens posted:

Did you know that searching GBS for the word "poop" returns 752 matches, but PI has roughly 2,500? :eng101:

Pet owners deal with a lot of poo poo. :downsrim:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Skizzles posted:

But Super! I need a real super good source to combat hard-hitting, objective info like this!: http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pit-bull-owners.php

Man, this pisses me off. I am the pitbull guy at the dog shelter and they have all been nothing but loving little beasties but people that go to adopt, and even new volunteers have had stuff like that drilled into their heads for ages.

At least our latest one Hercules went home with a friend to keep him company, and it turns out he is smitten and pussy whipped by her.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Skizzles posted:

I went over to the "pit bull myths" section and I had to laugh at THEIR version of the "Identify the pitbull" where it compares them to beagles, aussies, and a freaking golden. The way they tries to twist that around amazes me.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
One of the other Slugger City Bully Buddies members just got an email and shoved it off on me to answer. :argh: It reads:

quote:

Hi! I'm just asking for some advice. This past Sunday we adopted what our vet is guessing is a chocolate lab/pit mix from LMAS. The vet estimated him at 5 years old and he is a sweetheart. We found a knot in his neck which turned out to be a bullet...poor guy had a rough life before us. Anyway I'm just wondering if you have pointers on how to properly introduce him to our current pack. We have 2 older cats and 3 dogs, a 13 yr old female yorkie poo and 2 one year old lab mixes, a male and a female. The female lab can be dominant. They've seen each other through cages and fences and it's been all tail wags. Yesterday I took my labs to doggie daycare to play as I do every week and our male lab for the first time was acting out and being very dominant and showing his teeth to other dogs at daycare. I'm not sure if this is the result of bringing in the new guy?? The daycare recommended that we not put them together for weeks and just take them on daily walks together. I just want this to work out and make sure we are doing the right things so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Shannon
"Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die"

hoo boy

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

That pit bull FAQ sure is something.

quote:

Pit bull dog aggression is unacceptable for two reasons. In many instances it leads to human aggression.

quote:

In some instances, these attacks involve pit bulls charging through screen doors of private homes -- in a home invasion attack -- to kill the pet living inside. Owners of the pet are then forced to watch as their pet is disemboweled by the pit bull and pray that the dog does not turn its attention on an innocent family member next.

:allears:

All you pit bull owners better be careful, it's only a matter of time before your dog mauls you or does a ~home invasion attack~

E: Why does so much anti-pit stuff bring up all these emotionally charged situations? They just can't seem to stop themselves from screaming about how you and your furbaby will be next. It's almost like they can't rationally discuss this.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh man, I didn't read that far into it. That's hilarious. Specifically disemboweled. Dem pits go right for da bowels.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

34 mph bitches :chord:

Fastest grey there was 37. Not bad for retirees :corsair:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

See that just further convinces me that danes are really just over-sized greyhounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob4n13pbhtU

Or at least properly sized danes.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Skizzles posted:

If this site is all about hating Pit Bulls, why do they list attacks by other dog breeds in their "family dog attacks" page...?

LifeFlight Needed After Two Bullmastiffs Attack Boy

When a Family Rottweiler Has a Bad Day

Family Chow-Mix Hospitalizes 5-Year-Old in Lubbock

Chow-Mix Attack Requires LifeFlight Helicopter

2008 Dog Bite Fatality: 1-Year Old Erie Girl Killed by Family Dog (article does not even specify the breed or mix)

2008 Dog Bite Fatality: Tulsa Infant Killed by Labrador

2008 Dog Bite Fatality: Video of Millcreek Attack; English Sheepdog Statistics

2008 Dog Bite Fatality: Alexis Hennessy, 6-Days Old, Killed By Family Dog (Husky)

2008 Dog Bite Fatality: 3-Day Old Infant Killed by Family Dog (Husky)

Family Dog Attacks Toddler in Angelina County (no breed specified)

Family Rottweilers Attack 1 and Half Year-Old Child in Phoenix

2009 Dog Bite Fatality: Olivia Rozek, 3-Weeks Old, Killed by Family Husky

2009 Dog Bite Fatality: Brianna Shanor, 8-Years Old, Killed by Chained Dog (Rottweiler mix)

7-Year Old Jackson County Boy in Critical Condition After Mauling (Shar - Pei Chow mix)

Parenting Website Questions if Pit Bulls and Children Mix (This isn't even an attack report...?)

2009 Dog Bite Fatality: Great-Aunt's Rottweiler-Mix Kills 20-Month Old Boy

2010 Dog Bite Fatality: 'Ax Men' Jesse Browning's Stepdaughter Killed by Rottweiler

2010 Dog Bite Fatality: Rottweilers at Home One Day Kill Baby on Iowa Tribal Land

2010 Dog Bite Fatality: Boyfriend's Dogs Suspected in Death of 5-Year Old ("Wolf Hybrids")

2009 Dog Bite Fatality: Alex Angulo, 4-Years Old Mauled to Death by Rottweiler

2010 Dog Bite Fatality: Military Family Dog Kills 2-Year Old Boy in Tierrasanta (German Shepherd mix)

2011 Dog Bite Fatality: Young Girl Killed by Grandfather's Japanese Akita

2010 Dog Bite Fatality: Houston-Area Baby Girl Killed by Family Rottweiler

2011 Dog Bite Fatality: Frankfort Girl Mauled to Death by Pet Rottweiler

2011 Dog Bite Fatality: Rottweilers Kill 3-Year Old Girl in Delaware County, Iowa

2011 Dog Bite Fatality: 4-Year Old Boy Killed by Grandfather's Rottweiler in Ozark

2011 Dog Bite Fatality: 9-Day Old Infant Mauled to Death by Family Dogs
(pit bull, bulldog, Alaskan malamute, German shepherd and a mixed breed)

2012 Dog Bite Fatality: Newborn Dies After Severe Dog Bites in McKeesport (Husky)

2012 Dog Bite Fatality: 2-Month Old Child Killed by Family Dog
http://www.dogsbite.org/img/retriever-mix-fatal-dog-attack.jpg
The people in the comments section are of course saying this is a Pit Bull mix. Naturally.

2012 Dog Bite Fatality: 1-Year Old Henderson Boy Killed by Family Dog (Mastiff)

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2010/02/2010-fatality-3-year-old-mauled-to.html (American Bulldogs)

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2009/05/steelers-star-james-harrisons-pit-bull.html
http://blog.dogsbite.org/2009/11/4-year-old-boy-killed-by-pit-bull-type.html
Possibly an American Bulldog or mix, not sure on this one.
http://blog.dogsbite.org/2008/11/family-pit-bull-mauls-toddler-in.html
UPDATE 11/17/08: KTEN news has revised their original story. The dog is now being called an American bulldog. In addition, KTEN removed the Ardmore Animal Control paragraph, but it still survives in cache. Specifically, it said: "Ardmore Animal Control says children are often attacked by pit bulls because they don't like eye contact at their level and small children are just the right height, but this was one of the worst attacks they've ever seen."
:stare:
http://www.dogsbite.org/blog/2007/12/martina-jennings-sentenced-to-4-years.html
I don't even...what.
http://blog.dogsbite.org/2008/08/flashback-ava-price-22-months-old.html
"London - In December of 2007, a 22-month old girl received 25 stitches in her face after being bitten by the family pit bull. The girl's mother, Melissa Price, said her daughter Ava had backed the dog into a corner and was taunting the dog with a bone. She believed the dog tried to grab the bone, but instead it clamped down the child's cheek and tore it off."

Ugh I was going to go through them all but I'm burned out. Very few of the articles had photos of the dogs but I'm sure I'd have a field day if they did.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

actionjackson posted:

34 mph bitches :chord:

Fastest grey there was 37. Not bad for retirees :corsair:

I'm pretty sure Greyhounds are just big, furry bullets. That's an awesome picture! :3:

edit: Also holy poo poo 34 mph. That's slightly faster then I drive in my neighborhood. :aaa:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

cryingscarf posted:

I went over to the "pit bull myths" section and I had to laugh at THEIR version of the "Identify the pitbull" where it compares them to beagles, aussies, and a freaking golden. The way they tries to twist that around amazes me.

I keep reading the link over and over and I'm stuck between so many emotions I don't even know. I didn't realize there was so much emotional/mental pathology involved in my choice oF dog breed! :allears:

I got into APBTs because the concept of gameness fascinates me, they're so obedient I can be lazy as hell with training and still get them manners and behavior I want, I like how they look, their history fascinates me, I think their exact brand of dog aggression and the way it manifests is hilarious, their versatility in working situations is cool, the extremes in type variation among strains and bloodlines is cool, they generally possess on and off buttons, and their emotional clingy neediness is something I like in dogs because having something think you are THE COOLEST THING EVER is a whole lot of fun.

Apparently I've been wrong all along and I actually own them because I think I'm going to save the breed by training pit bulls not to fight, as this is an inherent trait of all pit bull owners. WHO KNEW.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Its ok to have 3 dogs and no yard right??

Corgi x shepherd

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Its ok to have 3 dogs and no yard right??

Corgi x shepherd

That stuffed toy is holding a stuffed toy. So cute :3:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
I always smile about the 'dogs mustn't go in front of you!!!' thing, because my uncle is an actual 'pack leader' of an actual pack of hounds, and when hunting and sometimes while exercising they work/walk in front of him. The key thing is control, so when he says the word out exercising they will fall in behind him. I think having a dog that will walk to heel is totally awesome, but being dogmatic about "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!! (my feet)" is really dumb.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Does anyone have any book recommendations with regards to introducing cats and/or dogs to a new baby? It's not going to happen for a while, but we'd like to be prepared :3:

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

How does that even work

One thing is sure: that dog will have the Best Ears.:3:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Abbeh posted:

Does anyone have any book recommendations with regards to introducing cats and/or dogs to a new baby? It's not going to happen for a while, but we'd like to be prepared :3:

I highly recommend the Dogs and Babies blog. It's a little outside of the norm, in that it doesn't talk as much about "introducing" as it does having an ongoing lifestyle of not magnetizing your kids to dogs. She goes over some really useful stuff about small children of all ages, including babies, and including them in activities with and around your dog without making the dog the main awesome thing. It's very worth a look.

Also, congrats in advance!

Adventure in the sandbox: I WANT TO SNUGGLE THAT DOG.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
It's a hot day and Rexy's floofiness is out of control.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

One of my coworkers locked his keys in his office so I had to go by this morning and unlock his door for him. I wanted to take Moses to Petsmart afterwards, so I brought him along. Coworker has always made the usual lovely comments about pit bulls, but by the time we left they were bffs and he couldn't stop going on about how "nice" he was. He genuinely couldn't believe he was so friendly and was like, "haha wow he's wagging his tail like a regular dog!!" A bazillion points go to Moses for being SO GOOD and minding his manners. He even ran through a bunch of commands for him ("wow he knows tricks like a regular dog!!") which was so amazing because he usually kinda ignores commands from people he doesn't know, especially if they don't have anything he wants.

He got to pick a toy at Petsmart for being such a good dog. :3:

He was pretty stoked about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

PiratePing posted:

How does that even work

One thing is sure: that dog will have the Best Ears.:3:

I don't even know! I hope daddy was a corgi and mommy was a very willing shepherd. Because if it was the other way, oh my!

ButWhatIf posted:

Adventure in the sandbox: I WANT TO SNUGGLE THAT DOG.

Isn't he cute!! I found him on Kijiji and I would totally get him. I may be pestering my hubby (who already just shook his head at me) because wouldn't that little guy make a great lapdog?? And also a great flyball height dog?

He's free and in my town a needs a good home. He can't be that much more work when we already have 2 dogs right??

• Locked thread