Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm replacing the turn signals with something less bulky and floppy. The stockers are just on there until i can get some replacements

Also I ziptie my plates on as well as bolt them, so if the bolts let go at least they hang on with the zip ties for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I'm replacing the turn signals with something less bulky and floppy. The stockers are just on there until i can get some replacements

Also I ziptie my plates on as well as bolt them, so if the bolts let go at least they hang on with the zip ties for a while

those floppy indicators can really take a beating though. I had to put them back on my bike because the lovely cheap LED ones the PO had fitted had vibrated/corroded themselves to death.
So far they've shrugged off a few low speed falls, being clipped as I squeezed through a narrow pedestrian entrance and being bent almost 90degrees when i got off the bike after putting it on the sidestand too close to a pole

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the problem, I cant find any that arent garbage AND also arent like $100

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
They aren't top of the line by any means but I picked up some el-cheapo western powersports turn signals and they've held up quite well. They've put up with multiple drops and being kicked on a regular basis. Don't expect anything other than the finest chinese electrics inside tho. I slathered the sockets with dielectric and sealed them with silicone and haven't had any issues.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu1ZPotZOT8

Supermoto. Still awesome.

LabRat1
Apr 19, 2009
Anybody have a suggestion for a good luggage set/mounting bracket for a DRZ400 (2000)? I've found some info on top cases but nothing on side luggage that specifically would fit the bike. I'm thinking of getting a Givi e230 or e300 for a top case unless somebody has a better suggestion. I'm trying to turn my bike into my main form of transport and need some carrying capacity for trips.
Also, sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but considering the bike type it seemed appropriate.

LabRat1 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 12, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know the wolfman bags are popular, but no idea what model.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I'd recommend you consider a Giant Loop Great Basin. They are not the easiest things to open up (3 straps and a zipper) compared with a simple roll-top or hard case, but you can usually set them up so you can remove the whole bag from the bike and carry it inside. That way you're not using tote bags or whatever to get a ton of poo poo to/from your bike at home.

That said, some dedicated panniers are pretty sweet if your bike isn't dwarfed by them. I'd recommend the Ortlieb QLR2 soft panniers bolted/mounted to a rack since they flatten for lanesplitting and a bigass topcase for boots/jacket when you stop somewhere.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
does the drz have the same shock in the E/S model and the SM or are they different?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
IIRC SM forks are inverted and bigger.

I bought these for mount points for my soft bags and they work great. They arent designed for hard bags but they worked well for me and are cheap.

Also make an offer for like 65 and he'll usually take it. :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ4...884cd13&vxp=mtr

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

does the drz have the same shock in the E/S model and the SM or are they different?

I'm pretty sure the E/S were the same shock with different springs, and the SM got the RM unit.

They should all be bolt-in replacements for each other though.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I'm pretty sure the E/S were the same shock with different springs, and the SM got the RM unit.

They should all be bolt-in replacements for each other though.

From pictures they all look identical, but I mainly wanted to make sure the length was the same among the different models

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ultimate fatass upgrade time!!

Aww yiss

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Ultimate fatass upgrade time!!

Aww yiss

It's been sitting there for a month now, mainly because I'd much rather ride my WR250x than try to rejet a carb.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Upgrade buddies :hf:

This box has a full set of new plastics, a new clutch, timing chain, oil screens and miscellaneous fasteners and gaskets. I also just got a couple of minor bling bits; anodised orange fork bleeders and a new steering head nut (also orange). I also have a TuneECU cable and a wideband O2 guage/logging package for when my new SC-Project exhaust arrives.

One of the UK KTM suppliers, AMS, has a got a great deal on power parts for members of the UK KTM forums. I'm sorely tempted to get the CNC orange triple clamps.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnaghi posted:

It's been sitting there for a month now, mainly because I'd much rather ride my WR250x than try to rejet a carb.

All that stuff is junk. Throw it away. Into a box bound for my garage.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Joke's on you, your bike does not have a carb.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

MotoMind posted:

Joke's on you, your bike does not have a carb.

Great one more thing I have to buy. :doh:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gnaghi posted:

Great one more thing I have to buy. :doh:

Can't you just get the nearest dealership to remap it for you?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Shouldn't hurt a think putting that stuff on now, get it mapped whenever

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well I already bought the jet kit so I might as well carb it. Some guy on SMJ did it and says it ups the power quite a bit.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Gnaghi posted:

Well I already bought the jet kit so I might as well carb it. Some guy on SMJ did it and says it ups the power quite a bit.

No. FI did great things for that motor. Swapping back to a carb would be retarded. I think you may just be confused with your terminology (Who sold you a jet kit for a wr250x?)

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Link? I'd be surprised if the ECU would tolerate having the FI ripped out.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I was actually talking about my Husky in the original post, I'd rather ride my WRX than rejet the Husky. No way in hell I'd carborate my WRX.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm goin hellaflush with the DRZ

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hardtail DRZ chopper. I like it. I dare ya to ride down the street like that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Safety Dance posted:

Hardtail DRZ chopper. I like it. I dare ya to ride down the street some stairs like that.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Do it! Throw on some of those apes hanging in the back and troll your local cruiser hangout.

obso fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 26, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I should, those quasi-apes in the background with the huge sweep actually came on my RD350 of all bikes. They are hilarious and I only keep them around for the potential for comedy.

That said, the SunLine bars I put on the drz last night are only like 2 inches wider and taller and they have the throttle cables at the limit already.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
What was wrong with the Renthal?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mine is an 06 so it just had the generic silver bars. The renthals didnt come from the factory on DRZ's till 07 or 08. I definitely would not have replaced the renthals.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 26, 2012

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Ah, didn't know that. Prob 2007 then, seeing as how my 2007 has them. Meaning I actually chose the better buy by luck (I looked at one 06 and one 07 the same day), how very atypical of me.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Got my SC Project exhaust fitted over the weekend (took it to the shop because it was too much of a pain to do it in the street). The shop took out the extra baffle as standard and holy gently caress is this thing loud. The titanium is starting to colour up nicely too.

Pics up tonight probably.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Aargh posted:

Got my SC Project exhaust fitted over the weekend (took it to the shop because it was too much of a pain to do it in the street). The shop took out the extra baffle as standard and holy gently caress is this thing loud. The titanium is starting to colour up nicely too.

Pics up tonight probably.

Still waiting on mine, 5 weeks now, just hope they got it posted before the great Italian August shutdown. Got bored waiting for it and I've ordered even more stuff; the mod/service list is getting more impressive by the day.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Still waiting on mine, 5 weeks now, just hope they got it posted before the great Italian August shutdown. Got bored waiting for it and I've ordered even more stuff; the mod/service list is getting more impressive by the day.

That sucks. Mine shipped in about 3 weeks to Australia via FedEx. Lets see if this imgur for Android works now...

e; whoops, timg'd now

Aargh fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 31, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

If you were resizing the image, it doesn't work :respek:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I couldn't read this thread and not get one of these. This was one of the two street-titled DRZs in a 300 mile radius--even Atlanta only had one for sale, and the dude was asking $4500. I picked this one up for $3100.

This is a 2001 S, got the FCR carb and the 3x3 mod along with the exhaust. The plastics are all Acerbis, 3.2 gallon tank, Renthal bars, Excel wheels, and I have no idea what the brakes are from. I need to de-sticker it and paint the tank and I'll be good...maybe even install a real headlight. I don't know how the guy got it titled but it works for me. I've been riding like a hooligan all week. The exhaust clamp vibrated loose and I managed to burn a hole through the little oil pcv/separator tank already. Nothing a little JB weld wouldn't fix, though. Too hot to work on it outside so I just drove it into the kitchen, gently caress Alabama basically.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats a stock caliper painted red, on a relocation bracket so it can fit the oversized rotor.

Either way, nice bike!

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
3+ gallon tank, that sounds so tempting, I have to fill the DRZ up every second day with my tiny stock tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, you cant paint a plastic tank like that, it will bubble and turn to poo poo in like a week.

• Locked thread