Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Tee-hee I just did an experiment, calling both Mouse and Dan (I'm in the garden and they were in the kitchen). Mouse came FLYING over for cuddles, Dan trotted out looking hopeful, paused, assessed that I did not appear to be offering food, then mulled over his options for a second before turning and trotting grumpily back into the kitchen :3:.

notsoape fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Ugh this is the 3rd weekend in a row my parents have gone to look at puppies at Petsmart/Petco. They keep saying they're not thinking of getting one when I ask them directly, but then they keep making "ohhh, wouldn't it be cute if Bodie (their chihuahua) had a little girlfriend! They could be married and it would be so cute. I bet he'd love a little lady dog to snuggle up to!!!!"

Bodie is 5 years old, too fat to move, and pisses himself at the sight of other dogs. He is completely unsocialized. They love him to death but he's pretty neglected (you mean we have to cut his nails BEFORE they curl completely around his feet!?") and they really don't need another dog.

I really hope they don't show up with some poor tiny little mutt to ruin one of these weekends. Guess who will probably end up being the one to have to try to keep it from becoming a total trainwreck if they do. :sigh:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

notsoape posted:

FTR I love the easygoing cairn temperament most of the time, but gosh is it ever nice to have a dog whose bond with you overrides their desire for treats, toys or freedom :v:.

I think this is my 'issue' with my dogs.

Jess literally couldn't give less of a poo poo about what I want, unless there's clearly something in it for her. Whereas Lola just constantly wants to please me. Case in point: today I took her to a little lake, and although she was cold and a bit bored of jumping into the lake to get her ball she went in (reluctantly) for a final time simply because I asked her to.

I love that temperament and I think that massively influences how I perceive them. Jess is very much her own dog, doing her own thing, which annoys me at time; she's very stubborn, even about things like going out into the yard when I tell her to (when she's asked to be let out, stupid dog). I love that Lola will do anything for me and wants to be with me constantly; it's that clinginess and obsessive desire to please that are the reasons I would like collies, pit bulls (if they are even legalised here or I move out of UK), and other small terriers. Dogs that do their own thing are not on my wish list.

Of course I still love Jess though, and having such a laidback, careless dog has meant I've been able to spend much more time working with Lola - but I don't think I'll get another low maintenance dog.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

I love that temperament and I think that massively influences how I perceive them. Jess is very much her own dog, doing her own thing, which annoys me at time; she's very stubborn, even about things like going out into the yard when I tell her to (when she's asked to be let out, stupid dog). I love that Lola will do anything for me and wants to be with me constantly; it's that clinginess and obsessive desire to please that are the reasons I would like collies, pit bulls (if they are even legalised here or I move out of UK), and other small terriers. Dogs that do their own thing are not on my wish list.

And you're getting a patterdale :stare:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Keeper is going to be the problem child no matter who or what I bring into my home, so part of the long wait over the past two years has been getting him slowly more adjusted to sharing his home, through fostering and petsitting. In the next six months I'm going to step up his reactivity training with a private in-home trainer as well as a group class, in preparation for puppy arrival.

Keeper is very easy in the house; he would happily sleep for a solid 24hrs in a preferred spot, and doesn't follow me from room to room demanding attention or exercise. If anything he looks put-upon when I call him over to walk him, but if I don't walk him at least once every two days his reactivity gets worse, so it's not so much about exercise for him as it is about exposure. He's a complete reactive jerk to strange dogs on a walk and people coming in the door, so he needs daily refresher courses, and I'm realistic about that. He'll more than likely remain my focus in training and demand more of my attention, and I'm prepared for that eventuality.

That being said, though, he's a very good dog, for a Pom, and he's mostly very well-behaved, so my hope is that the new pup will pick up on as many of his good traits as his bad, and that the bad habits will be mostly controlled by observation and repetition of training, as they are now, so that if the new pup starts up we can nip it in the bud with the same tactics. I'm going to talk with my trainer more about what to do to mitigate or prevent that, so hopefully in the next six months I'll have a more solid training plan before a puppy appears.

Regardless, Keeper is my Good Bad Dog, and he's always going to be the 'favorite' as far as issues and attention paid. I'm hoping actually that the new puppy will end up very much the same; with a feisty, diffident personality on a foundation of good behavior. That way my attention will be split, with a balance between the puppy's issues and Keeper's.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Superconsndar posted:

And you're getting a patterdale :stare:

I have a JRT already :v:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

I have a JRT already :v:

A JRT is nowhere neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeear as intense as a patterdale. Patterdales are pure drive and fury and they really don't aim to please. They exist to wreck poo poo and eat faces. I love them and am gonna have one someday, just reeeally be prepared. :shobon: You're in for a ball of crazy that wants to burn and pillage and doesn't care too much what you have to say about it.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
Hank has lost weight! Changed him over to Wellness Healthy Weight, Nutro mini-bone treats, proper amount of food, and no people food. The training has been for my husband as he likes to give him people food and treats. I know it's going to be a slow go but it's working!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Superconsndar posted:

A JRT is nowhere neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeear as intense as a patterdale. Patterdales are pure drive and fury and they really don't aim to please. They exist to wreck poo poo and eat faces. I love them and am gonna have one someday, just reeeally be prepared. :shobon: You're in for a ball of crazy that wants to burn and pillage and doesn't care too much what you have to say about it.

JRTs are the 'people pleaser' terriers, that's why my family has always chosen them and worked with them. My uncle had some terrier at some point (it looks like a small Irish in the pictures) who they bought from ratting lines to work vermin control, but apparently he was a nuisance and went after chickens, so they've kept JRTs ever since. My childhood dog, Danny, was the grandson of the JRT (Buster) who my uncle got to replace the other terrier.

On the farm, the terriers need to go to ground after rats under the chicken houses, without killing a chicken, groundhogs from the garden without tromping all over the plants, as well as driving off the raccoons and coyotes at night. They also have to tolerate visiting kids and relatives, dogs they are told they must 'leave', horses heels they can't nip, and livestock they can't chase or worry. They can't dash out the gate or worry cars, but at the same time they must Know to worry and harass a stranger skulking around or someone who intends harm, as opposed to just a strange visitor. My uncle has relied on one JRT on the farm at any given time to do all this, and they step up to the task, every time. My dad's dog Zoot, is the latest in a long line of solid JRT performance, known only for periodic bouts of dog aggression and idiocy. Solid dogs, all around, but you couldn't ask just any terrier to do this. They do have to give at least a tenth of a poo poo about you in order to want to listen to complex and varying commands like that, in addition to tolerating all the people coming and going without going absolutely ballistic. Is that every JRT? No, unfortunately, but it should be, and a good farm terrier for us has to be part welcoming friend, part aggressive defender and part murderous eradicator of pests, and for us, that all-around dog is a JRT.

Don't discount your breed just yet, Fraction. I think you'd be fine owning a Patterdale, or any terrier, but I can't help but show my bias. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Superconsndar posted:

Yeah I know that's true. I probably won't even get another dog for a few years (hopefully), since I can't have three dogs and I'm hoping Jess will be around for a while yet. And hell, if I've moved out by then and have the resources, I may well get a collie! :v: My exercise schedule for Lola would pretty much suit any other highish energy dog, IMO. I'm only settled on patterdale for the moment because my mum wants another small dog if we get another.

E:

^^ Yeah I am a little hesitant about JRT versus other terriers. I really, really love the look and drive and build etc of patterdales. I don't want another staffie, I have checked off cairns, and I don't want any of the 'box headed' terriers. But idk I love JRTs and my mum would love another, so I dunno. Maybe I'll get a working line boy JRT and he could be my little agilitydog or something :3:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 1, 2012

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Fraction posted:

To everyone else with multiple dogs: do you think it's possible to be completely impartial with your dogs and not have a/any favourites?

Honestly, I'm not sure I could be completely impartial, which is why I only have Sitka. She is very much My Dog. I waited a long time for her and she's been everything that I was looking for with a malamutes. I'm also not certain I could handle two malamutes at once. Keeping up with Sitka's energy levels and her exercise needs is exhausting enough. Two sounds like a recipe for over training injuries and general mayhem.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Just to reiterate what Captain Foxy thinks about how awesome JRTs are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo6sDiF-cgs

Total dock-diving dog in the making, I think! :v:

No I don't know why she jumped so high into fairly shallow water either

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Our dogs kind of rotate themselves on who is getting cuddles/whatever on the couch. Everyone gets an even turn eventually during the day. Certain dogs, like Guthrie will always be near my wife and Chary will always be near me. Lucy just wants whoever is warm mostly. Bea slightly prefers my wife. Quinn and the puppy are equally happy with either of us but I suspect Nori will start to prefer Erica as she continues his training.

As far as individual, focused, 'teaching them things' attention, we have usually ended up being slightly preferential in favor of whatever foster dogs we have in the house. Mostly because we want to make them as well-rounded a pet for their new owner as possible. Therefore; have to focus on behavior stuff that, were it a dog we owned outright, probably wouldn't bother us.

So now that Tonka and Arp are both gone, OB work shifts 100% on to Nori and after that maybe we'll do a class or two with Bea, possibly Quinn too, just for fun.

And this puppy....He weighed 11.9 lbs at 9 weeks and 15.2 lbs at 12 weeks. His tail is starting to get fluffy and I think he might be a total savage from now until his adolescence is over. Possibly until he is too old to be savage.

And he's gonna be so graceful.....

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I never felt like I needed to pay attention to being impartial when dealing with my dogs. They're different personalities and I love them both to bits. I also work with both of them daily so they get plenty of individual attention. Getting Rho was a bit of a relief from constantly feeling like I have to keep Pi occupied, because they keep each other company and do dog stuff together and it's not all on me.

I tried to take pictures of Riiseli and my dogs on Friday. TyTy made sure no pictures were too serious:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

And this puppy....He weighed 11.9 lbs at 9 weeks and 15.2 lbs at 12 weeks.

I just wanted to let you know that Amy was 22 pounds at 12 weeks. :v:

Kaydee is very, very worried because I was gone a very, very long time today. She keeps coming over, standing with her front paws on my arm and putting her ears back, giving me the concentrated worried look. Dog, it was like three hours.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Fraction posted:

To everyone else with multiple dogs: do you think it's possible to be completely impartial with your dogs and not have a/any favourites?

The dogs I live with don't really belong to me, so I'm not bonded with them like I would be with my own dog. I've honestly felt more of connection with shelter dogs I volunteer with than I do with them, but that's probably mainly because their personalities don't really suit me. One is stubborn as hell and very non responsive to commands, and the other is a neurotic mess with severe separation anxiety and resource guarding issues. They both have good traits and I love them, but I love all dogs to a certain extent, so yeah.

Is it bad to say that I like any random Pit Bull I meet on the street better than the dogs I live with...?

Also I have confirmed that my aunt is, indeed, crazy. Today she told me that the campaign to spay and neuter your pets is "propaganda by dog breeders so you will have no choice but to buy a $1000 dollar dog from them".

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fraction posted:

I think its normal to have a favourite, but I think one can behave impartially.

But I'm not even sure about the favouritism thing. Myself, I've always preferred Delta. She is more inquisitive, bold, brave, and looks nicer! Sigma was a standoffish pup and now is a bit clingy, he is also nervous and pretty wimpy.

Sigma is really developing a great personality now and I find myself really liking his affectionate nature. Delta just came to the computer room and looked in to check on us, wagged her tail at me and went back to check out the patio door. Sigma followed suit a few minutes later and came up to me and shoved his face in front of the laptop so I could pet him. He is very endearing and I like him more now. I admit, I was a tiny bit frustrated about his wimpiness when he was a pup.

But I treat them equally. Treats are equal, training time and walks are equal, if I am petting one dog the other isn't permitted to barge in, etc.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I spend a lot more time with Eva these days because she's still learning basic manners (something Angus never managed to really "get," he learned them but he won't use them unless there are high value treats in it for him) and can make it around the block without being an overdramatic whiny crybaby about it, but I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Eva is EASY. She's easy to train, easy to live with which is a welcome break from Angus who lives his whole life making everything difficult but he's incredibly loyal and devoted, focused and driven. Eva is eager to please but not the sharpest tool in the shed. She's attached at the hip and is a world-class snuggler. When Angus deigns to cuddle with me I feel like Christmas came early. He is astoundingly, eerily smart and intuitive. He can be difficult to train only because he is creative or thinks he knows what the answer is and gets stuck insisting you want him to shake what you handed him to death then throw it across the room and then bring it to you instead of just hold it in his mouth. He spends a lot of his time doing his own thing but he's always there when I need him and always knows exactly what I need. He thrives on making me laugh. If I could combine the two I'd have the world's most perfect dog.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Gary is absolutely 'my dog'. He's always around me and is happiest tagging along with me on a trip in the car or sleeping on my lap. He picks things up so quickly and works for food like no other dog I've seen, (former fatty represent). That being said, he does have some tinges of separation anxiety, but fortunately not so much that he's destroyed stuff or hurt himself.

I really like a needy dog though. The next dog we're getting will be for my partner who prefers an affectionate but not hugely attached dog. We'll be getting a rescued greyhound because of that aspect of their temperament, plus their energy needs match ours. After working with the greys at my school and the shelter where I volunteer, I have found myself really liking the stoic, leaning ones. :) We have a goofy young girl at the moment and she's not my thing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

notsoape posted:

A Good Dog

Is that some kind of sighthound mix?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
She's a lurcher, a Whippet/Bedlington Terrier mix.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Skizzles posted:

She's a lurcher, a Whippet/Bedlington Terrier mix.

Whippet/Bedlington Terrier/Awesome mix, you mean! :3:

Also my Favorite Dude was at work today again. Axel the Burmese Mountain dog. Such a big bundle of fur and eyebrows. :kimchi:

Although I don't know why someone would want that kind of dog here in L.A. It's been like 80-85 for the past week.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Really? You're going to complain about 80-85? You had better mean indoors. :colbert:

I haven't been able to take Shadow on his afternoon walks for the past four days because it's been at or often above 100 degrees every day.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I'm visiting my family right now. It's been 106 or over every day since I got here.

On the plus side, I get to meet and play with the new kitties. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

SuperTwo posted:

If I could combine the two I'd have the world's most perfect dog.

Or more likely, the world's worst dog. Stupid, stubborn, and unsnuggly.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Bash Ironfist posted:

Whippet/Bedlington Terrier/Awesome mix, you mean! :3:

Also my Favorite Dude was at work today again. Axel the Burmese Mountain dog. Such a big bundle of fur and eyebrows. :kimchi:

Although I don't know why someone would want that kind of dog here in L.A. It's been like 80-85 for the past week.

You mean Bernese, but I got a giggle out of picturing a big shaggy dog hanging out in the Burmese rainforest :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Invalid Octopus posted:

You mean Bernese, but I got a giggle out of picturing a big shaggy dog hanging out in the Burmese rainforest :3:

Yes, thanks for that. I'm dead tired from a long day of working with a lot of dogs, my brain works not so good right now.

Skizzles: It was like 80 indoors, 85-90 outside. We have AC at the boarding place, plus a wading pool for the dogs when they're running around in the outside patio, but still. Pretty hot.

Plus, his coat was thick as hell! Like I could(and did!) bury my hands in it. But surprisingly soft. Like a big friendly blanket. :3:

edit: Rainforest dog, best dog. I keep imagining some explorers making their way through the rainforest, and all of a sudden a dog just wanders up to them to sniff at their feet.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I trust my sister to take care of Husker, but she lost power during the mid-Atlantic storms and it was 100 degrees in our area. She had his cooling collar, and her bottom floor is all tile, so I'm sure he and Murphy were fine.

Still, I felt a little bad enjoying the nice weather where I am while my puppy was hot :(

Our house kept power, so the cats and rats are fine. I told my sis if her power didn't come back on she should call my house sitter and just arrange to go stay at my house, but apparently her power came back on last night.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yay, my friend just adopted a cat! He is a good cat. Also pretty cat. Say hi to Ghostly! EDIT: I remembered I posted him in the thread earlier on (:downs:) but now he's more chill and stuff towards both people and birds.

Those eyes. :3:

Also man, the normal temperature where I live IS 90 degrees, It's like 95 these few days too. I spray my birds like everyday now, so they can cool down, also so they will have pretty feathers. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's been like 104-108 almost every day for the past month (and suddenly now it's like 90's and it'll be 88 on thursday :psyduck: ). I ran around doing my zoo orientation in that weather, and I loathe hot weather. :( At least you got to be inside.

E: Oh, and Balen won't stop sunbathing on the dirt. He goes outside and rolls over like a drat horse, flails his legs some and flops back down. The hell is wrong with you, dog? It's like 105 out there. Get in here.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nothing like waking up to greyhound diarrhea all over my carpet. Followed by a pleasant walk to work in a 77 degree dew point.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I'm Canadian I don't speak Fahrenheit. Off to google... 106 F = 41 C WHAT. How do you survive if this is a normal sustained temperature?! Right now its 10 C = 50F. That's pretty cool for July but normal. My dogs give no fucks about the temperature until it hits 15 C :downs:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Hey, I doubt anyone remembers this guy, but I posted about him during the animal charity raffle a while back (and some people donated! thank you!):

Milo was picked up off the street in obviously poor shape. Anyway, I was visiting the folks who foster him yesterday and he's looking way better! He's a total sweetheart, gave my three-year-old daughter headbutts, likes to be carried. He's got some weight back on him and his fur is looking much healthier.

Scarring has left his ears kind of stuck down in permanent angry-mode. :3: He still hasn't had his dental surgery though, poor guy. It looks like he's had some kind of facial trauma--but he was so anemic and unhealthy that they had to get him into better shape first. And he has some organ damage, possibly from getting into a little antifreeze.

Such a nice guy though. I think he'll be very adoptable once we get him fixed up a little.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Clearly Arthur loves being snuggled. Clearly.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Eva is allergic to wasps.

She erupted all over in hives even with a benadryl, vomited all over the place and her face looked like a Shar-pei. She got a steroid shot from the vet and they've all gone down but she's staying doped up on benadryl for the rest of the day. drat you Eva I had plans to go to the beach today!

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Poor Eva. :( I'm afraid Quaffle is going to get a faceful of wasp one day because he likes to chase bugs and is dumb. Yesterday I found the beginnings of a wasp nest on the interior of my passenger side car door (like not the part that's inside the car, but on the width of the door, that you can only see when the door is open). Not pleased. Luckily it's been too hot to leave him outside for long so he doesn't have much chance to chase them, although he does keep asking to go out and I end up having to practically drag him back inside. It was 104 yesterday and he wanted to stay out there.

My parents left on a trip to Canada. Before leaving, my mom hugged me. Then my dad hugged me. Then Quaffle jumped up on me and wrapped his paws around me. WTF dog, you are not going too!

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Jeez, I never even thought about dogs being allergic to wasps. Is it something where you're going to have to worry about worse reactions in the future? Poor Eva.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah, She stepped on one in the grass by accident and had some pretty nasty issues from the one sting. If she ever blundered into a nest it would be really bad. I'm really worrried because they are EVERYWHERE this time of year and she does like to chase anything that moves including bugs. I'm just really glad she got stung on the foot and not in the face.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Oh no, sorry to hear that SuperTwo. Hope she gets better soon!

Took Feldman to Petco to look at those easy lead harnesses. poo poo's 30 bucks! I was like 'no this is too expensive.'

Ended up buying him a pack of bully sticks and a tug-a-jug, spent 30 dollars. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
^some fucker ate my flowers yesterday and I though of your dog

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Yay, my friend just adopted a cat! He is a good cat. Also pretty cat. Say hi to Ghostly! EDIT: I remembered I posted him in the thread earlier on (:downs:) but now he's more chill and stuff towards both people and birds.

Those eyes. :3:

Also man, the normal temperature where I live IS 90 degrees, It's like 95 these few days too. I spray my birds like everyday now, so they can cool down, also so they will have pretty feathers. :3:

Ghost is jumping with excitement!
Grats to your friend on a kick rear end cat.

• Locked thread