Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Don't know what you're on about, I talk like that all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

unprofessional posted:

I sorta thought of him like Nightchill - a god who appeared as a mortal along the ages.
Yeah, it's something like this I think. Dessembrae is a new god, created by the worship of Dassem Ultor. Dassem just happens to be still alive; there's a seperation between god and mortal.

I'm still only halfway through Orb but there's a really good piece on ascension in there, describing it as a struggle to stamp your identity on the universe. This is why godhood changes, most evident in war. The ascendents struggle until only one remains, enabling them to say "I am war and war is what I am". Fanderay and Togg, Fener, Trake: the rise and fall of the gods mirrors the civilisations. Dessemembrae didn't fight for an existant identity, he created tragedy. There's still a lot of unexplained backstory there but it's got something to do with Hood and Dassem's daughter.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

adamarama posted:

Yeah, it's something like this I think. Dessembrae is a new god, created by the worship of Dassem Ultor. Dassem just happens to be still alive; there's a seperation between god and mortal.

I'm still only halfway through Orb but there's a really good piece on ascension in there, describing it as a struggle to stamp your identity on the universe. This is why godhood changes, most evident in war. The ascendents struggle until only one remains, enabling them to say "I am war and war is what I am". Fanderay and Togg, Fener, Trake: the rise and fall of the gods mirrors the civilisations. Dessemembrae didn't fight for an existant identity, he created tragedy. There's still a lot of unexplained backstory there but it's got something to do with Hood and Dassem's daughter.

Knowing Hood, he had it all planned out long in advance that by claiming Dassem's daughter he could set off the chain of events that we witness in the Book of the Fallen.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I haven't read it yet and its gotten mixed reviews here, but Ian C. Esslemont's Night of Knives: A Novel of the Malazan Empire is one of Amazon's cheap ebook deals for the month at $2.99.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Hondo82 posted:

I haven't read it yet and its gotten mixed reviews here, but Ian C. Esslemont's Night of Knives: A Novel of the Malazan Empire is one of Amazon's cheap ebook deals for the month at $2.99.

Go buy a 40oz of Colt 45 or whatever amount of weed $3 will get you, and you'll enjoy that much more than this book.

And no one ever answered my question on the last page.

Orb, Scepter, Throne spoilers Why didnt the Moranth use the badass rocket launchers, and whatever other neato weapons we heard about in Crippled God, in the fight against Seguleh? A bunch of sharpers doesnt seem like a good thing to storm a castle with, when you could fight your way into the protective circle, then blow the gently caress out of the castle. Sharpers worked in the castle, so other stuff should have.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 2, 2012

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I think most people thought your question was rhetorical. I'm not sure why you're expecting an answer to a question that would assume we can read the authors' minds.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It just seemed like such a huge fuckup on Esselmonts part, I didnt know if I had missed something obvious as to why they didnt use anything bigger.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I didn't read O, S, T, but I'd imagine it's because the Moranth are bizarre foreign creatures, and it took the Malazan Marines to do anything effective (you know, the greatest army the world had ever known?). Whatever badass stuff they had in TCG might have even been built by Malazan engineers.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
How do the ICE books fit in chronologically with the Erikson books? I'm almost done with RotCG and I'll probably read the next one but I don't want to get ahead of Dust of Dreams which is where I am in the Erikson books.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's pretty close to the ordered list in the OP. I think Crimson Guards is supposed to happen right after Bonehunters and probably during Reaper's Gale. Stoneweilder probably takes place around Toll the Hounds or slightly afterwards but it sets the stage for some of The Crippled God. For what it's worth, the Esslemont books go out of their way to avoid spoiling or mentioning events going on in Erikson's books, and except for only a few slight mentions that you may not even have noticed, Erikson is pretty good about not spoiling events in ICE's books.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

OST casually mentions the ongoing Korel campaign, so presumably OST and Stonewielder are concurrent, though the chronology of the Kiska and Leoman saga seems to contradict this (that is, that particular storyline is chronological from SW to OST; that said I don't believe any of the actual 'Stonewielder' action in Korel deals with that storyline so that's not a big deal, though the storyline does become important to the main one in OST).

OST begins slightly after the end of Toll the Hounds, so Stonewielder and OST probably occur during the second half of Dust of Dreams, OST maybe the first half of TCG - but definitely not the end, since all you get of Karsa is a vague section towards the beginning of the book where it talks about him living outside the city; I kept waiting for him to join the action in OST but it never came. Presumably him ending Fener's existence in TCG happens post-OST in Darujhistan. TCG's climax appears to be the latest chronologically in the series thus written, though that will likely change when ICE writes the Assail saga.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 3, 2012

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I started Reaper's Gale a day or so ago, and Tehol and Bugg are back. :allears:

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

pakman posted:

As much as I like Tehol and Bugg, I thought Reaper's Gale was the worst slog in the whole series (Currently reading Dust of Dreams). Maybe you'll like the book more than I did.

So far my impression of Dust of Dreams has been pretty good. Sure the philosophizing can be a bit much, but some of it is actually pretty interesting. I especially liked the reveal that the Imass went on their eternal campaign of genocide as much because they destroyed their environment and didn't want to face extinction as because they were out for "justice" against the Jaghut.

Anyhow I think I could lay things out like this.

Parts that are boring:

-The Malazans on their long slow trek into the Wastelands (Although the new "Bridgeburners" are pretty funny). I wonder if Erikson will go into intentional self-parody by making Rumjugs have a long philosophical monologue on the meaning of life.

-The Snake (Who cares? This part is terrible)

Parts that are awesome:

-Pretty much everything else. The Barghast, the Elder Gods, and the K'Chain Che'Malle are all pretty interesting. The Khundryl are also pretty cool.

I was wondering if the other people in this thread bother reading the poems at the beginning of each chapter? I stopped reading them around the time when I hit Reaper's Gale. Erikson just isn't a very good poet.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I stopped reading the poetry after like the first one. I like the historical quotes, though, should have done more of those instead.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I know for me Dresden Files really picked up by book 3, when does Malazan really start to pick up? Any cool spoilers I should be happy to look forward to reading in book 1? Something that will get me motivated to slug through the confusing beginning.

Also how are the audiobooks for this series?

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 4, 2012

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I know for me Dresden Files really picked up by book 3, when does Malazan really start to pick up? Any cool spoilers I should be happy to look forward to reading in book 1? Something that will get me motivated to slug through the confusing beginning.

What book are you currently on? Gardens of the Moon is kind of a drag, but it starts picking up in Deadhouse Gates and really cool poo poo goes down in Memories of Ice.

Edit: no idea on the audiobooks, sorry.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I thought the series really picked up around the third part of Gardens of the Moon. After that I was pretty much hooked for the rest of the series. I think those first two parts of GotM are the hardest to get through and then after that the plot starts coming together.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I don't think there are any audiobooks.

Vaniljcola
Jul 11, 2009
There are audiobooks for all main books. I've borrowed MoI from a friend and the reader is pretty good. Much better then the reader for song of ice and fire.
I've seen them on amazon/audible. Cant find them now but it might be because I'm in europe. Googleing just gets you torrents but atleast that proves that they exist.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Vaniljcola posted:

There are audiobooks for all main books. I've borrowed MoI from a friend and the reader is pretty good. Much better then the reader for song of ice and fire.
I've seen them on amazon/audible. Cant find them now but it might be because I'm in europe. Googleing just gets you torrents but atleast that proves that they exist.

I'm pretty sure those were fan-made and uploaded to torrent sites for distro, I've never had any luck finding Malazan audiobooks on pretty much any vendors site (including Amazon, Audible, etc). There are Kindle editions of everything now though which is nice.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

pakman posted:

I love Tehol and Bugg easily some of my favourite back and forth from Midnight Tides.

I was really satisfied with their Arc.

I didn't realise Orb, Scepter and Throne is out. Guess I've got some reading to do.
:neckbeard:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I just finished Return of the Crimson Guard and I'm only kinda confused about one thing

Who was the soldier Dessembrae was talking about at the end there, the one he said would have become the greatest General the Empire had ever known if his bodyguard would have been just a little bit faster

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So I'm about 300 pages deep into Deadhouse Gates. Two questions:

What is stopping Kulp from just generating a warren and having him and the marines and Felisin and all them travel through it safely to wherever, instead of having to survive that batshit crazy sorcerer spitting storms everywhere? Do only some warrens allow travel?

What's with all the deserts? I feel like half of Gardens of the Moon and most of Deadhouse Gates has been in desert settings so far. I don't mind them yet, but I'm slowly starting to yearn to at least see a forest somewhere, or some grass or something.

Anyways, so far the books have been awesome. I powered through GotM and didn't find it as hard of a read as it was made out to be, and DG has been great so far. I just finished the part where they come across the ghost ship and the headless oarsmen which was loving awesome. Also Gesler seems pretty awesome, I hope he's not just some sort of one-off character.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

The Dark Wind posted:

So I'm about 300 pages deep into Deadhouse Gates. Two questions:

What is stopping Kulp from just generating a warren and having him and the marines and Felisin and all them travel through it safely to wherever, instead of having to survive that batshit crazy sorcerer spitting storms everywhere? Do only some warrens allow travel?

What's with all the deserts? I feel like half of Gardens of the Moon and most of Deadhouse Gates has been in desert settings so far. I don't mind them yet, but I'm slowly starting to yearn to at least see a forest somewhere, or some grass or something.

Anyways, so far the books have been awesome. I powered through GotM and didn't find it as hard of a read as it was made out to be, and DG has been great so far. I just finished the part where they come across the ghost ship and the headless oarsmen which was loving awesome. Also Gesler seems pretty awesome, I hope he's not just some sort of one-off character.

AFAIK, warren travel isn't that easy, and that particular warren is different. It's an Elder Warren, which is quite different from the regular ones we saw in GotM.

Most of DG is set in Seven Cities, which is a desert continent. GotM was set in Genabackis and had grassland/forests/mountains I think.

Oh and GotM gets so much better on a reread. It's chock full of details that you'd only pick up from reading the rest of the books. Unfortunately that makes it a really hard book to pick if you're new.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

The Dark Wind posted:

Also Gesler seems pretty awesome, I hope he's not just some sort of one-off character.

Don't worry he sticks around for a long time

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

The Dark Wind posted:

There's forests but he doesn't mention them or their effects with the same loving detail he talks about deserts and plains. He's a geologist and I guess trees are just decoration to him.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

There are some river valleys in Memories of Ice, and some mountains in House of Chains, but it's mostly plains and deserts throughout the series.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Daric posted:

I just finished Return of the Crimson Guard and I'm only kinda confused about one thing

Who was the soldier Dessembrae was talking about at the end there, the one he said would have become the greatest General the Empire had ever known if his bodyguard would have been just a little bit faster
I don't think it was anyone in particular. I read it as more of a comment on luck, which seems to be a strong theme throughout the series. I really hope there's a Hood/Desembrae reckoning at some point.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Anyone have any experience grabbing the books early from overseas? Is it just a matter of giving amazon.co.uk some extra money for shipping?

Forge of Darkness releases 7/31 in the UK, and 9/18 in the US. My brother's birthday is 8/11 and he's the type of Erikson fan who spent over a year rereading all 10 books three times in a row seeing how the pieces fell together and finding stuff he missed. Surprising him with an early copy would be awesome, even if its translated into English instead of American.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

adamarama posted:

I don't think it was anyone in particular. I read it as more of a comment on luck, which seems to be a strong theme throughout the series. I really hope there's a Hood/Desembrae reckoning at some point.

Oh my, isn't there just. :getin:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

bagrada posted:

Anyone have any experience grabbing the books early from overseas? Is it just a matter of giving amazon.co.uk some extra money for shipping?

Forge of Darkness releases 7/31 in the UK, and 9/18 in the US. My brother's birthday is 8/11 and he's the type of Erikson fan who spent over a year rereading all 10 books three times in a row seeing how the pieces fell together and finding stuff he missed. Surprising him with an early copy would be awesome, even if its translated into English instead of American.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Forge-Darkness-Steven-Erikson/9780593062180

You can thank me later when your bookshelf collapses on you.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Daric posted:

I'm pretty sure they're referring to Ullen, who got dropped near the end of the battle. The last thing he saw was his bodyguard standing over him after getting caught, if I'm remembering it right.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
We've got the first page of Forge of Darkness.
http://forum.malazanempire.com/index.php?showtopic=24231&view=findpost&p=975430

I'll paste it here since it's short. Hopefully it's not a problem.

quote:

… so you have found me and would know the tale. When a poet speaks of truth to another poet, what hope has truth? Let me ask this, then. Does one find memory in invention, or will you find invention in memory? Which bows in servitude before the other? Will the measure of greatness be weighed solely in the details? Perhaps so, if details comprise the full weft of the world; if themes are nothing more than the composite of lists perfectly ordered and unerringly rendered; and if I should kneel before invention, as if it was memory made perfect.
Do I look like a man who would kneel?
There are no singular tales. Nothing that stands alone is worth looking at. You and me, we know this. We could fill a thousand scrolls recounting the lives of those who believed they were each both beginning and end, those who fit the totality of the universe into small wooden boxes which they then tuck under one arm – you have seen them marching past, I’m sure. They have somewhere to go, and wherever that place is, why, it needs them, and failing their dramatic arrival it would surely cease to exist.
Is my laughter cynical? Derisive? Do I sigh and remind myself yet again that truths are like seeds hidden in the ground, and should you tend to them who may say what wild life will spring into view? Prediction is folly, belligerent assertion pathetic. But all such arguments are past us now. If we ever spat them out it was long ago, in another age, when we both were younger than we thought we were.
This tale shall be like Tiam herself, a creature of many heads. It is in my nature to wear masks, and to speak in a multitude of voices through lips not my own. Even when I had sight, to see through a single pair of eyes was a kind of torture, for I knew – I could feel in my soul – that we with our single visions miss most of the world. We cannot help it. It is our barrier to understanding. Perhaps it is only the poets who truly resent this way of being. No matter; what I do not recall I shall invent.
There are no singular tales. A life in solitude is a life rushing to death. But a blind man will never rush; he but feels his way, as befits an uncertain world. See me, then, as a metaphor made real.
I am the poet Gallan, and my words will live forever. This is not a boast. It is a curse. My legacy is a carcass in waiting, and it will be picked over until dust devours all there is. And when my last breath is long gone, see how the flesh still moves, see how it flinches.
When I began, I did not imagine finding my final moments here upon an altar, beneath a hovering knife. I did not believe my life was a sacrifice; not to any greater cause, nor as payment into the hands of fame and respect. I did not think any sacrifice was necessary at all.
No-one lets dead poets lie in peace. We are like old meat on a crowded dinner table. Now comes the next course to jostle what’s left of us, and even the gods despair of ever cleaning up the mess. But there are truths between poets, and we both know well their worth. It is the gristle we chew without end.
‘Anomandaris’. That is a brave title. But consider this: I was not always blind. It is not Anomander’s tale alone. My story will not fit into a small box. Indeed, he is perhaps the least of it. A man pushed from behind by many hands will go in but one direction, no matter what he wills.
It may be that I do not credit him enough. I have my reasons.
You ask: where is my place in this? It is nowhere. Come to Kharkanas, here in my memory, in my creation. Walk the Hall of Portraits and you will not find my face. Is this what it is to be lost, in the very world that made you, that holds your flesh? Do you in your world share my plight? Do you wander and wonder? Do you start at your own shadow, or awaken to rattling disbelief that this is all you are, prospects bleak, bereft of the proof of your ambition?
Or do you march past sure of your frown and indeed, that is a fine box you carry…
Am I the world’s only lost soul?
Do not begrudge my smile at that. I too cannot be made to fit into that small box, though many will try. No, best discard me entire, if peace of mind is desired.
The table is crowded, the feast unending. Join me upon it, amidst the wretched scatter and heaps. The audience is hungry and its hunger is endless. And for that, we are thankful. And if I spoke of sacrifices, I lied.
Remember well this tale I tell, Fisher kel Tath. Should you err, the list-makers will eat you alive.

Erikson has defined the different style of the new book as "Dickensian" (though this page is more like metalinguistic speak-to-the-reader kind of thing).

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm pretty sure they're referring to Ullen, who got dropped near the end of the battle. The last thing he saw was his bodyguard standing over him after getting caught, if I'm remembering it right.

oh poo poo, i was reading through it so fast i must have missed that Ullen didn't make it through

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
More DG questions, I just started Chain of Dogs and am getting very confused. I'll just spoiler everything.

What exactly was going on in the beginning with the dragon and Kulp's warren and all that? The whole section was very confusing, but I know he was mixing his with the one they were stuck in and somehow managed to escape. I'm not sure exactly what he was doing though.

So was Baudin a Talon working for Tavore to keep Felisin safe? Tavore was only sending her to Skullcup for a moment as a symbolic gesture, then planned to get her out somehow at some point? Or is this completely off the mark?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

The Dark Wind posted:

So was Baudin a Talon working for Tavore to keep Felisin safe? Tavore was only sending her to Skullcup for a moment as a symbolic gesture, then planned to get her out somehow at some point? Or is this completely off the mark?

No, that's exactly right. The plan was only for Felisin to stay there for a very short time in order to get her out of the city where she would have almost certainly been killed.

Praesil
Jul 17, 2004

The Dark Wind posted:

What exactly was going on in the beginning with the dragon and Kulp's warren and all that? The whole section was very confusing, but I know he was mixing his with the one they were stuck in and somehow managed to escape. I'm not sure exactly what he was doing though.

If I remember correctly, Kulp thought it was safer to stay behind the dragon, so he opened his warren and used Meanas' power to move them into the wake. But opening Meanas warren within that Elder warren did something bad - the door sort of got stuck, and water started flowing in. Kulp tried to "trick" other gods into helping him, then the dragon turned around and was like "oh, i guess i should help." Once the warren was closed, the gods pulled back and Kulp collapses, with the ship now in the dragon's wake.

Then, the dragon exits, still towing the ship in it's wake, and they go through kind of a fire curtain. I didn't really get that part - other than the fire gives people stone skin or whatever. I'm on book 5 now myself, so that is still a mystery.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Praesil posted:

If I remember correctly, Kulp thought it was safer to stay behind the dragon, so he opened his warren and used Meanas' power to move them into the wake. But opening Meanas warren within that Elder warren did something bad - the door sort of got stuck, and water started flowing in. Kulp tried to "trick" other gods into helping him, then the dragon turned around and was like "oh, i guess i should help." Once the warren was closed, the gods pulled back and Kulp collapses, with the ship now in the dragon's wake.

Then, the dragon exits, still towing the ship in it's wake, and they go through kind of a fire curtain. I didn't really get that part - other than the fire gives people stone skin or whatever. I'm on book 5 now myself, so that is still a mystery.

That curtain of fire has some implications later on. It's not just some throw away fluff piece.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

Abalieno posted:

We've got the first page of Forge of Darkness.

Seems like an appropriate tone for a book about the Tiste Andii. Hopefully it's not so morbid and melancholy as to be unreadable.

Personally I would have liked to see a trilogy about Kellanved and company's early days. That would be filled with swashbuckling awesomeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Apologies for flooding this thread with questions, but I don't wanna go on google and get all spoilered. Just finished Chain of Dogs. Holy gently caress Kulp and Baudin :(. Are the girl and guy that reach the Sha'ik corpse at the end Felisin and Heboric, or Apsalar and her dad? Judging by the "hands" comment, I was more inclined towards the former, but I'm not completely sure.