Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Matlock posted:

I swear, my local Sprint Shack is completely worthless. Not corporate, but with repair center designation. Just got my GNex in, second day of being active and the battery freaks the hell out when on 3G (but not while on the charger) and gets hot enough that you can feel it through the front of the screen.

I go there and tell them I just got it in, activated it two days ago, and I have a bum battery.

"Then take it back to where you got it."
"It was shipped to me."
"You have 14 days from when you got the phone to take it back."

This isn't the first time this has happened at that location. Ergh.

They are 100 percent right. If there are any problems with it within the exchange Window you should just have it exchanged. That should be done through the channel it was purchased through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Is that a new policy? I know that when I got my Optimus S in 2/2011, I had s small issue and they swapped it without incident.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Matlock posted:

Is that a new policy? I know that when I got my Optimus S in 2/2011, I had s small issue and they swapped it without incident.

They could do an ae swap which means you could be getting a refurbished phone. Sprint retailers own heir inventory not sprint, so they won't give you a brand new one off the shelf when you didn't buy the original one there. It's like buying something at walmart and then trying to exchange it at target. They are two separate economic entities.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
Alright, I have a few hours before work. So I am going to put ICS on my 3d. I wanted to let you guys know because I think they were waiting on me to root my device finally so they could release the update.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I get over 1 megabit on 3G in Philadelphia. Vineland, NJ isn't a small town, dialup download speeds are absurd.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
You're on 1xRTT and not any sort of 3G/EVDO. Those speeds are in line with what 1xRTT offers.

This is that whole 3G icon thing going on again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

averox posted:

You're on 1xRTT and not any sort of 3G/EVDO. Those speeds are in line with what 1xRTT offers.

This is that whole 3G icon thing going on again.

I didn't even bother looking down there, I just assumed the top indicator was accurate. What the hell? HTC really dropped the ball on this phone.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FogHelmut posted:

I didn't even bother looking down there, I just assumed the top indicator was accurate. What the hell? HTC really dropped the ball on this phone.

Sprint is the one who had all their OEM's use the 3G icon even when on 1xRTT. Blame them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Sprint is the one who had all their OEM's use the 3G icon even when on 1xRTT. Blame them.

Ok, I will blame Sprint. Isn't that some kind of blatant false advertising?

Edit: Went outside - now I'm on legitimate 3G, but download speed is only 100kbps.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 29, 2012

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Lowen SoDium posted:

This decision continues to amuse me. They, apparently, didn't want people to know how spotty their 3G coverage is/was. So they make everyone who doesn't know about the stupid icon thing think their 3G is just really lovely instead.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Q_res posted:

This decision continues to amuse me. They, apparently, didn't want people to know how spotty their 3G coverage is/was. So they make everyone who doesn't know about the stupid icon thing think their 3G is just really lovely instead.
I though they started doing this with 4G (WiMAX) devices. I don't think the idea was to misrepresent their EVDO coverage (which itself is quite fine, it's just that their EVDO network is taxed to poo poo and thus, about as useful as 1x), but to make it easier for customers to distinguish between WiMAX ("4G") and CDMA ("3G") data services.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm afraid I don't see how getting rid of the 1xRTT symbol and only ever showing 3G would make it easier to distinguish 4G. At best, it should really make no difference.

edit: I think what you posted was the excuse Sprint gave for doing it. I just don't buy it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Q_res posted:

I'm afraid I don't see how getting rid of the 1xRTT symbol and only ever showing 3G would make it easier to distinguish 4G.
Sprint's been promoting that they have "3G" and "4G" networks recently. Everyone's well aware of the fact that Sprint's 4G deployment is limited to some number of major markets, and even within them, has coverage issues due to building penetration and such.

Thus, to maximize battery life, Sprint encourages folks to make use of a 4G toggle (which is a Sprint requirement for their WiMAX Android devices) when they're outside 4G coverage.

As a user, you're supposed to tick on 4G, look to see if you have a "4G" symbol that stays on, and if so, leave it on. If you only see "3G", it's probably a good idea to tick 4G off. The idea is that having a third, "1x" symbol in there is confusing and adds no diagnostic benefit for most customers.

Q_res posted:

edit: I think what you posted was the excuse Sprint gave for doing it. I just don't buy it.
Why? They had 1x and EV indicators on their phones for years until WiMAX service was deployed.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What kind of good sign would that be? They don't even make WiMax phones anymore. If anything, it would be a very confusing sign.

That Clear was doing a little more to their just very basically set up sites? Not to mention, I don't know if they are new, but I've started noticing Boost commercials talking about 4G specifically.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Giblet posted:

New parts for the epic 4G no longer exist. They only have refurbished parts left.

Thanks for the information. It doesn't really make me feel better to have to keep a rattling phone (especially since I am paying for them to fix poo poo and they won't), but at least it explains why the techs couldn't do anything else for me.

I've had TEP for over 6 years now, it used to be a decent program, but it is amazing how bad it got in such a short time.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

bigpolar posted:

Thanks for the information. It doesn't really make me feel better to have to keep a rattling phone (especially since I am paying for them to fix poo poo and they won't), but at least it explains why the techs couldn't do anything else for me.

I've had TEP for over 6 years now, it used to be a decent program, but it is amazing how bad it got in such a short time.

Unfortunately Sprint is on the better side of supporting the hardware.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Does anyone have any experience with Sprint's Direct Connect that runs on their data network? Is the current iteration that runs on 3G and 1xRTT data better than their firt attempt at CDMA Push-to-Talk? Reviews I'm finding on the internet claim it takes longer to connect and the voice quality might be worse than iDen.

My father-in-law has an old grandfathered Nextel plan with lots of bonus minutes that would cost him $65 plus taxes/fee to move to a Sprint plan. I tried to talk him into Boost, but he's too old and set in his ways to go prepay. Also, I keep telling him he has another year before Nextel gets shut off and for improvements to the Sprint network to take place. I'm in Scranton, PA, and there's no 3G in the northern suburbs (unless you have an Android smartphone where it's always 3G:bang:)

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
Is there a beginner's guide out there for getting ICS on my Evo 3D? My patience has finally run out, but this will be the first time I've ever rooted an Android phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Sprint's Direct Connect that runs on their data network? Is the current iteration that runs on 3G and 1xRTT data better than their firt attempt at CDMA Push-to-Talk? Reviews I'm finding on the internet claim it takes longer to connect and the voice quality might be worse than iDen.

My father-in-law has an old grandfathered Nextel plan with lots of bonus minutes that would cost him $65 plus taxes/fee to move to a Sprint plan. I tried to talk him into Boost, but he's too old and set in his ways to go prepay. Also, I keep telling him he has another year before Nextel gets shut off and for improvements to the Sprint network to take place. I'm in Scranton, PA, and there's no 3G in the northern suburbs (unless you have an Android smartphone where it's always 3G:bang:)

Holy poo poo, I work with this every day and can finally apply this knowledge online.

Yes, it is way better. Forget that the first version ever existed. Here's the crux: Nextel Walkie was extremely good at push to talk, and obviously sucks at most everything else. And now that (I assure you) sprint is taking down towers in Scranton and PA in general, he needs to switch. Sprint direct connect is pretty good, it won't be AS good as Nextel, but frankly it's the best he can get (this is one instead nice I will truthfully say Verizon sucks).

Phone wise: Dura XT if he wants just a rugged flip phone (probably) or the Admiral if he wants a smartphone. That's the options period. Admiral is a single core 1Ghz last generation hardware with android 2.3, but for better or worse customers looking for direct connect mostly don't care. the ones that do get a secondary iPhone to carry around, no joke.

They rolled out the updates two weeks ago for direct connect over 2G, so he should get coverage in both 2G and roaming Walkie wise (note: the Admiral has an issue with roaming direct connect that is being fixed). Honestly, Nextel is only going to get worse, give me a shout, I can easily get him a free direct connect phone, whichever one he wants.

Plan wise I have to look. If its an old plan like free incoming, it's done, and won't be grandfathered. We will probably have to find whatever is the closest current equivalent.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

...Honestly, Nextel is only going to get worse, give me a shout, I can easily get him a free direct connect phone, whichever one he wants.

Plan wise I have to look. If its an old plan like free incoming, it's done, and won't be grandfathered. We will probably have to find whatever is the closest current equivalent.
Thanks for sharing. You're a real asset to this thread.

His Nextel plan has what looks like TWO additions of bonus minutes on top of his base plan. Probably some kind of concession or adjustment that carries over every month. He's a borough street commissioner and needs lots of airtime each month. He has a work phone, but everyone calls him on her personal phone and all his underlings use Walkie-Talkie.

I'll probably take you up on that offer. Looking at https://network.sprint.com, there's a bunch of data upgrades in my area in the next 6 months. I'll probably wait until those are completed before we move him over to a Sprint Push-Talk phone. Reviews on the net say PTT over 1x is noticeably slower to connect than 3G. And 3G can be 1x-slow in a few places locally, as well.

Do you know if iDEN Boost SIMs will work in a Nextel phone? I might just give that to him to show how easy it is to load up on prepay cards. That way I don't have to have the aggravation of adding him to our family plan.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 30, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

Thanks for sharing. You're a real asset to this thread.

His Nextel plan has what looks like TWO additions of bonus minutes on top of his base plan. Probably some kind of concession or adjustment that carries over every month. He's a borough street commissioner and needs lots of airtime each month. He has a work phone, but everyone calls him on her personal phone and all his underlings use Walkie-Talkie.

I'll probably take you up on that offer. Looking at https://network.sprint.com, there's a bunch of data upgrades in my area in the next 6 months. I'll probably wait until those are completed before we move him over to a Sprint Push-Talk phone. Reviews on the net say PTT over 1x is noticeably slower to connect than 3G. And 3G can be 1x-slow in a few places locally, as well.

Do you know if iDEN Boost SIMs will work in a Nextel phone? I might just give that to him to show how easy it is to load up on prepay cards. That way I don't have to have the aggravation of adding him to our family plan.

Honestly, the only thing about iden boost that makes me queasy is that if Nextel is going away, boost won't be much better. I personally don't see how it would help, and I dont think you can transfer his walkie number to boost (don't quote me on that, but pretty sure).

PTT over 1X being slowed wouldn't surprise me. Honestly it's just a matter of setting expectations. If you want said feature that is frankly a bit outdated and not mainstream, well, it won't get the network support it used to. Simple as that.

That being said, its easier to say that here, than this morning when I was working with a construction company (60 phones on Nextel) and trying to explain to them the situation. I was told if they didn't like the phones they would shove them up my rear end, sans lube (no exaggeration). The discussion then naturally transitioned into how many phones could actually fit in my rear end. They said 6, I took offense and said 9. A good day overall.

Obviously you have a bit of time on switching him over, whenever you need me let me know.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 30, 2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Octavian posted:

Is there a beginner's guide out there for getting ICS on my Evo 3D? My patience has finally run out, but this will be the first time I've ever rooted an Android phone.

I don't have a 3D, but check out the XDA Developers forums.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1095

Edit- Looks like Nexus phones aren't immune from Apple's bullshit http://m.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jun/30/samsung-galaxy-nexus-banned-us?cat=technology&type=article

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 30, 2012

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I should have taken advantage of those early upgrade offers earlier, as there's currently no early upgrade path for SERO users.

Now that I have to wait until October, are those rumors about another Nexus/flagship still rolling around? If I have to gut it out for an extra month or so, I wouldn't mind doing so. Or do headliners only come out during the summer?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Allaniis posted:

I should have taken advantage of those early upgrade offers earlier, as there's currently no early upgrade path for SERO users.

Now that I have to wait until October, are those rumors about another Nexus/flagship still rolling around? If I have to gut it out for an extra month or so, I wouldn't mind doing so. Or do headliners only come out during the summer?

New iPhone is October, but going by release of current Nexus and when Sprint has been getting them I would say spring 2013. Given that the SG3 and the new EVO just are out I would guess the new iPhone is the only major release left for Sprint this year (unless Motorola does something).

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

nate fisher posted:

New iPhone is October, but going by release of current Nexus and when Sprint has been getting them I would say spring 2013. Given that the SG3 and the new EVO just are out I would guess the new iPhone is the only major release left for Sprint this year (unless Motorola does something).

Has anything been put out to show that sprint is going to get the new iPhone at the same time the other carriers will? No one is paying apple for a holdback on other carriers this time?

I have a month and a day until I can upgrade (8/1) so I am trying to decide on a 4s now or if it will be worth while to wait for the 5. Or if a better nexus will be released on sprint.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'd like to see some judge somewhere tell them those patents are exceedingly broad. For gently caress's sake they're saying the Nexus' lockscreen infringes on the iOS lockscreen, meaning apparently anything that causes your finger to slide across the screen in order to unlock the phone is what Apple's patent covers. I don't find anything substantially alike between the two, but I'm not some high-falutin' patent lawyer.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bigpolar posted:

Has anything been put out to show that sprint is going to get the new iPhone at the same time the other carriers will? No one is paying apple for a holdback on other carriers this time?

I have a month and a day until I can upgrade (8/1) so I am trying to decide on a 4s now or if it will be worth while to wait for the 5. Or if a better nexus will be released on sprint.

Nothing official has been put out, but given Apple's MO and how they did the 4S release it should be all carriers at the same time.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

IIRC yes but the newer Boost phones come locked or did. I may have that backwards. I used my i880, i425, i860, etc with boost with no issues.

Didn't try it with my i1 though

My other question is why they won't move his plan over to the CDMA side of things?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus Christ, sprint was down for the last four hours for me in Chicago and Rockford and data roaming didn't work either.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

nate fisher posted:

Nothing official has been put out, but given Apple's MO and how they did the 4S release it should be all carriers at the same time.
I don't think there's a pile of money large enough to convince Apple to stagger the iPhone 5 release. My girlfriend is excited about the iPhone5 release, as her upgrade comes into effect on October.

I think I've "bought in" to the whole Android experience to switch now. I think that Nexus November thing was just rumors about Nexus 7 and Q spinning out of control, so I think GS3 will be something I'll wait for. I'll console myself and imagine that Samsung messed up and broke something.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 1, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Jesus Christ, sprint was down for the last four hours for me in Chicago and Rockford and data roaming didn't work either.

Yeah,nationwide sprint data issues tonight. From what I can gather, most people are actually fine, but provisioning new phones just is hosed. Probably will be set in the upcoming day, but be cautious if you were about to activate a new phone.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah,nationwide sprint data issues tonight. From what I can gather, most people are actually fine, but provisioning new phones just is hosed. Probably will be set in the upcoming day, but be cautious if you were about to activate a new phone.

I was wondering what was up with my data tonight, thanks.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Is it possible to transfer my contract to my brother but port my number out? For instance, could I port my number over to ATT and then have sprint issue me some new number before I'm hit with an ETF?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Smeed posted:

Is it possible to transfer my contract to my brother but port my number out? For instance, could I port my number over to ATT and then have sprint issue me some new number before I'm hit with an ETF?

I have never seen someone be able to do this successfully. Maybe if you port your number to GV first.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I thought that would be the answer. I'll try the free sprint integration and see how that works, I tried it a while ago and text messages started disappearing.

Paying the $20 to port the number into GV would probably terminate my sprint contract until I got in touch with customer service, so I don't see how porting it to ATT would be any different other than them being filthy competition.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
gently caress. After a year of no issues with my Evo 3D, I have a portion of my touchscreen that doesn't respond at all anymore. It's a strip that almost matches up with the 3rd row of the keyboard...meaning I can't use the delete key at all.

With no insurance, how much would it cost to replace?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

gently caress. After a year of no issues with my Evo 3D, I have a portion of my touchscreen that doesn't respond at all anymore. It's a strip that almost matches up with the 3rd row of the keyboard...meaning I can't use the delete key at all.

I think repairs are still $35 in store. If they can't actually repair it in store and have to send it away, they should give you a refurb. At least this is what I experienced last time I needed a repair, but it's been a while.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Stevie Lee posted:

My repairs were free on the screen but they wouldn't fix whatever else was wrong with it, which they described as erosion, without insurance.

This was two days ago and with an original 4g. They gave me the option of buying up, which I don't have full options until October, or taking it to a place like phone doctor (a local repair store)

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Giblet posted:

I have never seen someone be able to do this successfully. Maybe if you port your number to GV first.

I think it was either in this thread, or in previous versions some people have been able to before. If I remember right, it wasn't easy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

uapyro posted:

I think it was either in this thread, or in previous versions some people have been able to before. If I remember right, it wasn't easy though.

I called customer service and spoke to a rep who told me I'd have to open a second line on the account or else the line is automatically closed when the number is ported out. She made it sound impossible but I'm still skeptical... I'll just eat it and get a new number.