Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2us2kOQd6g

some kid out there has the BEST loving DAD in the world

Another time that happened, the FAA suspended the controller pending an investigation.

The FAA hates fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Not to rain on this parade, but I found it difficult to understand the kid, and that can turn congested airspace into a dangerous situation. Glad the dude is back in the seat, though. Good ATC is a loving godsend.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Listening to the ATC is pretty funny sometimes I used to fly (ride along) at work when we did test flights and the ATC would just make fun of our plane 'United XXX your clear after that ugly BAC belching smoke, don't worry he's not on fire'. :( Also we have a taxi-way to our hangers so they would say stuff like 'turn left at X and make your way back to the bat cave'

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Not to rain on this parade, but I found it difficult to understand the kid, and that can turn congested airspace into a dangerous situation. Glad the dude is back in the seat, though. Good ATC is a loving godsend.

The kid was really only speaking to aircraft which had one available command to receive. The dad was issuing more complex instructions. Aircraft already holding in position on the runway are expecting to hear their takeoff clearance. Same thing for the switch to departure after wheels up. I didn't find the kid difficult to understand at all.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Anyone have trouble connecting to the wi-fi in the Denver airport? I have passed through there 3 times in the past 6 months and every time I can't hook up to the wi-fi...I think I've been in Concourse A every time, but even moving around I can't hook up to it. It's pretty annoying, especially like today when I had a 9 loving hour layover.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

The kid was really only speaking to aircraft which had one available command to receive. The dad was issuing more complex instructions. Aircraft already holding in position on the runway are expecting to hear their takeoff clearance. Same thing for the switch to departure after wheels up. I didn't find the kid difficult to understand at all.

Not to mention: Doesn't matter if YOU couldn't understand the kid, the pilots did, and they are the ones who matter.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Well, this is reasonably insane. The Terrafugia roadable aircraft has completed it's initial test flights.

http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-06-29_transition.asp

Though the specs make it look pretty uncompelling.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So many of us have heard of the B-52 scoring a kill on an F-15 during a Red Flag back in the 80's. Well as it turns out, one of the pilots I work with is an old BUFF guy from the 80's. I asked him about this to which he immediately answered that yes it's very true and way more common than just a one-off. As it turns out the B-52 had a pretty sweet tactic that they used to give erroneous range/bearing info to the pursuing fighter which afforded them an easy tail gun kill. This apparently drove the F-15 guys nuts.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

HeyEng posted:

So many of us have heard of the B-52 scoring a kill on an F-15 during a Red Flag back in the 80's. Well as it turns out, one of the pilots I work with is an old BUFF guy from the 80's. I asked him about this to which he immediately answered that yes it's very true and way more common than just a one-off. As it turns out the B-52 had a pretty sweet tactic that they used to give erroneous range/bearing info to the pursuing fighter which afforded them an easy tail gun kill. This apparently drove the F-15 guys nuts.

Yeah, the story I heard was from some week long air defense exercise up here during the Cold War where the BUFFs were flying OPFOR for some F-15s and were restricted in what they could do so they were basically lambs at the slaughter...until they changed things up one day (without telling the Eagle guys) and started flying the way they'd really fly if they were nuking the Soviets. The crowning achievement was sucking a fighter in at low level using that erroneous range/bearing tactic and getting a guns kill on him.

I could've sworn there was a story in Air & Space about this story, but I couldn't find it. I did, however, rediscover this one and it is pretty funny. This one isn't too bad either.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah, the story I heard was from some week long air defense exercise up here during the Cold War where the BUFFs were flying OPFOR for some F-15s and were restricted in what they could do so they were basically lambs at the slaughter...until they changed things up one day (without telling the Eagle guys) and started flying the way they'd really fly if they were nuking the Soviets. The crowning achievement was sucking a fighter in at low level using that erroneous range/bearing tactic and getting a guns kill on him.

I could've sworn there was a story in Air & Space about this story, but I couldn't find it. I did, however, rediscover this one and it is pretty funny. This one isn't too bad either.

I think the general disdain for fighter pilots it pretty well deserved save for A-10 dudes and Wild Weasel guys. Those jets take some serious balls to fly because you're actively banking on being shot at to get the mission done.

Fun articles.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

iyaayas01 posted:

Anyone have trouble connecting to the wi-fi in the Denver airport? I have passed through there 3 times in the past 6 months and every time I can't hook up to the wi-fi...I think I've been in Concourse A every time, but even moving around I can't hook up to it. It's pretty annoying, especially like today when I had a 9 loving hour layover.

It's always a crap shoot at DIA. Most of the time I'm there, the wifi appears to be operating at peak efficiency, yet when one tries to say, access a simple web page, you're met with instant disappointment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

HeyEng posted:

I would not want to mess with the ECM and ECCM suite the B-52 carries if I were attacking it. They have some pretty rad countermeasures.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

iyaayas01 posted:

It rarely works for me. Rarely = maybe 10% success rate.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

HeyEng posted:

I think the general disdain for fighter pilots it pretty well deserved save for A-10 dudes and Wild Weasel guys. Those jets take some serious balls to fly because you're actively banking on being shot at to get the mission done.
Hogs, Mudhens, and Wild Weasels arguably don't fall under the "fast mover" umbrella, despite technically being jet fighters.

Speaking of fast movers, the Viper-driver band has redesigned their website and apparently has a new album out.

They know their place in the world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfkbO0JuU8

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So apparently during the Iran Hostage crisis they were test outfitting C-130s with rockets for STOLs whilst prepping for rescue plans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCl3lfAx1Q

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Credible Sport was ridiculous and amazing. "Let's plop a Herc down and take off on a soccer pitch!"

Great idea, until the wings fell off (seems that the C-130 has a problem with the wings falling off, because all the airframes are old as poo poo). Why didn't they do it with CH-53Es staging out in the vast desert next door?

The Herc was the best fixed-wing choice for the role, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfwJJD5jGXk
C-130 landing on a carrier and taking off with no tailhook and no cat.

Also what was the op where they did try to use Super Stallions in the desert and then whoops a sandstorm crippled half the birds?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 2, 2012

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

BonoMan posted:

So apparently during the Iran Hostage crisis they were test outfitting C-130s with rockets for STOLs whilst prepping for rescue plans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCl3lfAx1Q

This is what fueled the development of the V-22 Osprey.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Delivery McGee posted:

Also what was the op where they did try to use Super Stallions in the desert and then whoops a sandstorm crippled half the birds?

Sounds like you're describing Eagle Claw. It wasn't so much that sandstorms crippled the birds as they contributed to poor visibility resulting in a Stallion slamming into a Herc tanker, which pretty much ruined everything for everyone except the Iranians.

Iran still flies the Stallion(s) they captured.

edit: regarding Wild Weasels, they make me nervous ever since one mistook a Patriot battery for an SA-2 site and put a HARM up a Patriot radar's rear end moments after a bunch of people were standing around the radar.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Delivery McGee posted:

Credible Sport was ridiculous and amazing. "Let's plop a Herc down and take off on a soccer pitch!"

Great idea, until the wings fell off (seems that the C-130 has a problem with the wings falling off, because all the airframes are old as poo poo). Why didn't they do it with CH-53Es staging out in the vast desert next door?

Operation Eagle Claw. I remember reading a fantastic editorial/revisitation back in 2007 but for the life of me I can't remember the magazine (something Vanity Fair-esque).

Anyway, funny you mention the wings falling off of the C-130 since I found that Credible Sport video (which I had known nothing about) after searching for the C-130 firefighting plane crash back in 2006 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDNCac2N1o

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Apparently a Herc went down in South Dakota while battling a fire there, they've airlifted 3 crew members to get them to a hospital, no other news right now.

EDIT: South Dakota sorry

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 2, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

onezero posted:

It's always a crap shoot at DIA. Most of the time I'm there, the wifi appears to be operating at peak efficiency, yet when one tries to say, access a simple web page, you're met with instant disappointment.

nummy posted:

It rarely works for me. Rarely = maybe 10% success rate.

Alright, good (I guess)...I was worried it was something weird with my computer, because the wifi is good strength, and half of the time I'll even be able to connect to the network, but then it just shits out whenever I try to actually use it for anything.

Delivery McGee posted:

Hogs, Mudhens, and Wild Weasels arguably don't fall under the "fast mover" umbrella, despite technically being jet fighters.

Speaking of fast movers, the Viper-driver band has redesigned their website and apparently has a new album out.

They know their place in the world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfkbO0JuU8

Worth mentioning that Wild Weasels are now just Viper pilots that train to the mission, since the only WWs these days are F-16s with the HTS/HARMs/necessary hardware, not dedicated WW airframes.

And Dos Gringos are pretty funny.

HeyEng posted:

This is what fueled the development of the V-22 Osprey.

Yeah, that combined with Eagle Claw...they wanted an aircraft with a vastly increased range compared to a helo (to get around the Eagle Claw shortcomings) but with vertical capability (to get around the Credible Sport shortcomings).

mlmp08 posted:

Sounds like you're describing Eagle Claw. It wasn't so much that sandstorms crippled the birds as they contributed to poor visibility resulting in a Stallion slamming into a Herc tanker, which pretty much ruined everything for everyone except the Iranians.

Iran still flies the Stallion(s) they captured.

Yeah, I couldn't tell if he was being ironic about Eagle Claw or if it was sincere, :lol:. Worth mentioning that Eagle Claw came first; Credible Sport was the backup plan after Eagle Claw went south.

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently a Herc went down in North Dakota while battling a fire there, they've airlifted 3 crew members to get them to a hospital, no other news right now.

News story I saw said South Dakota.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 2, 2012

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah, I couldn't tell if he was being ironic about Eagle Claw or if it was sincere, :lol:. Worth mentioning that Eagle Claw came first; Credible Sport was the backup plan after Eagle Claw went south.

Give me a break, I've seen the Credible Sport wings-falling-off video several times; Eagle Claw, I read a magazine article about once. I did somehow forget that they were both the same mission (I don't know how, seeing as how there was only the one reason for a major op in the middle east at the time.) But yeah, Eagle Claw failed because one of the Stallions drove into the tanker on the ground (the chopper was technically flying at the time, but with that big a rotor there's not much difference between air and ground taxi ops), and everybody said "gently caress this, we're outta here."

I was half right, in that a sandstorm caused the delay that led to the crash.

Basically the Iran hostage crisis was a Keystone Kops-style clusterfuck, is what I'm getting at.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Delivery McGee posted:

Give me a break, I've seen the Credible Sport wings-falling-off video several times; Eagle Claw, I read a magazine article about once. I did somehow forget that they were both the same mission (I don't know how, seeing as how there was only the one reason for a major op in the middle east at the time.) But yeah, Eagle Claw failed because one of the Stallions drove into the tanker on the ground (the chopper was technically flying at the time, but with that big a rotor there's not much difference between air and ground taxi ops), and everybody said "gently caress this, we're outta here."

I was half right, in that a sandstorm caused the delay that led to the crash.

Basically the Iran hostage crisis was a Keystone Kops-style clusterfuck, is what I'm getting at.

The sandstorm actually did cause one of the helos to abort en route to Desert One. One jet had a mechanical malfunction and landed and was abandoned; another had an avionics malfunction due to flying through a sandstorm and returned to the carrier. When another helo arrived at Desert One with a hydraulics malfunction and couldn't continue (that was the subject of some discussion between Beckwith and the helo mission commander) this took them under the minimum number of birds required to accomplish the mission, so they scrubbed at Desert One. The "sandstorm" that caused the mishap wasn't an actual sandstorm but rather was sand being blown up as a result of the helo's rotor blades as it air taxied over to reposition itself behind another C-130 to refuel.

And that's kind of amusing to me that you knew Credible Sport more than Eagle Claw, since usually it is the opposite...but I guess that makes sense for an aviation nerd, haha.

edit: Here's a couple more links to reporting on that C-130 crash...I really don't like the sound of that "two were taken to the hospital, four crewmembers remain unaccounted for."

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 2, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

iyaayas01 posted:

edit: Here's a couple more links to reporting on that C-130 crash...I really don't like the sound of that "two were taken to the hospital, four crewmembers remain unaccounted for."

All I can say right now is its a Charlotte bird, I let you know more when they give us the all clear.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Hercs are great because they leave WWII bomber style exhaust plumes behind them, and have oil stains on the cowls.

It's :black101: as gently caress.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Here's video of a Brazilian Jet blowing the windows out of a glass building because of the shock wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qhc2lXCT9c

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
The really funny thing is that it's not just some glass building. It's the Brazilian Supreme Court. And all of this is happening during the ceremony of exchange of the national flag (I don't know, either).

Oh yeah, surrounding buildings were damaged, too.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

parrhesia posted:

The really funny thing is that it's not just some glass building. It's the Brazilian Supreme Court. And all of this is happening during the ceremony of exchange of the national flag (I don't know, either).

Oh yeah, surrounding buildings were damaged, too.

I'd file a complaint against those showboating pilots POST-HASTE!!!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Also, http://wildfiretoday.com/ has a few updates on the C-130 tanker that crashed.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 3, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

xaarman posted:

Some big government gathering, whoopsies!

Also, http://wildfiretoday.com/ has a few updates on the tankers.
Speaking of "whoopsies", did you not notice this posted, literally, 3 posts before yours? And every post in between talking about it?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

grover posted:

Speaking of "whoopsies", did you not notice this posted, literally, 3 posts before yours? And every post in between talking about it?

airforce :effort:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

grover posted:

No, I literally saw that video and thought AI should watch it too, haha. I'll edit to leave the sad depressing link instead.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Went and checked out some old military prop planes this weekend.

A Stearman 75

A Yak-52

and a T-6 Texan

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

HeyEng posted:

Red Flag "kills"? Pffft... One of these BUFFs is at the Air Force Academy (or one painted to look like it).

simble
May 11, 2004

More importantly, whats the plane in the background of the last Texan shot?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

simble posted:

Pretty sure it's a B-17, but we need MORE PICTURES

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

simble posted:

Whatever it is, it's powered by:

and quad turbos

lots of rivets

cramped seating

you can see a heel cup on the edge of the pic at about 11:00

simble
May 11, 2004

gently caress. Yes.

The first set was great, this one... excuse me, I need to attend to some personal business.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Names were released in that C-130 firefighting mishap.

Also apparently two Tornadoes out of RAF Lossiemouth crashed off the coast of Scotland; two crew members have been rescued but two are still missing.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

If 'Aluminum Overcast' ever appears at your local airport, do yourself a favor and go check it out. It's an amazing restoration.