Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It's not as exhaustive as it looks; when you get around the middle he's presenting a lot of guesswork and speculation as facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Ah, I should've read it more closely - like I said though, the article is formatted very poorly and it's hard to follow.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
At least Zach's found something to write about that isn't PEDs. It makes his guesswork and hearsay that much more refreshing!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
You know when Ariel does the pre/post fight interviews, he never seems to interview the loser, or does so very very rarely. Do you think this is because they don't want to talk and if so, would it be rude to even ask for some comments so close to a loss if one is at an event, microphone in hand?

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

You know when Ariel does the pre/post fight interviews, he never seems to interview the loser, or does so very very rarely. Do you think this is because they don't want to talk and if so, would it be rude to even ask for some comments so close to a loss if one is at an event, microphone in hand?

I think in boxing in the ring interviews after the fight it's customary for them to interview the winner and the loser.

It's pretty rare in the UFC that Rogan will talk to both fighters, I think the loser has to be a major star for that.

I don't know how the relates to backstage post-fight, I think the losers probably just want to be left alone.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also interviewing guys with concussions rarely leads to anything good for either party.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
OK, so I might be getting an all access pass to a fairly large but very C level local show with my and my camera man. If so, I'm going to be interviewing a lot of fighters who I know nothing about and are barely pro, plus any names that happen to be there and the promoter himself.

For the people I know nothing about how is?

"Hi, im Willie_Dee with SASMMA.com here with "xxxxx" who is about to be fighting "yyyyy",

"xxxxx" how has training gone for this upcoming fight?
Do you know much about your opponent and do you have a game plan?
Anything else you would like to say?

Thanks and good luck "xxxxx"!"

Would that be OK, brief and simple?

willie_dee fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 22, 2012

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
So boring and run off the mill.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Can you find out anything about the no-name guys' backgrounds? take notes, and perhaps ask a striker how he's going to handle it on the ground if he's fighting a wrestler, or how his sub defense is against a BJJ-er. Or out-of-the-ordinary training or nutrition techniques.

A little bit of research and preparation would put you head and shoulders above any of the other journalists at the show :allears:

and of course, ask any heavyweights how they think they'll stack up against JT, and correct them, firmly.

Any chance you could tell us which show it is, and where? I'm assuming it's in the UK.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ask them what their game plan is, and then ask them why they just lied to you.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

Ask them what their game plan is, and then ask them why they just lied to you.

This is genius, but I don't want to get punched. I want to be nice to fighters, I don't like gotchya journalism, especially when I am new and trying to establish a reliable name for myself. I like fighters and I don't like people being mean to them.

red19fire posted:

Can you find out anything about the no-name guys' backgrounds? take notes, and perhaps ask a striker how he's going to handle it on the ground if he's fighting a wrestler, or how his sub defense is against a BJJ-er. Or out-of-the-ordinary training or nutrition techniques.

A little bit of research and preparation would put you head and shoulders above any of the other journalists at the show :allears:

and of course, ask any heavyweights how they think they'll stack up against JT, and correct them, firmly.

Any chance you could tell us which show it is, and where? I'm assuming it's in the UK.

I will be doing as much research as possible, but some of these fighters are amateurs to the point where they are only fighting semi pro still, I would love to give them a chance to get their name out there a bit and feel even more special on their big night by having some internet media idiot (me) interview them with the full film crew schebang (it really does look like I am a legit journalist, my camera crew are the real deal).

I have a few weeks and it might not even happen, I just want to get the basics down and out there for people to comment and criticise, a lot of people on here know what they are talking about and all your comments and suggestions are priceless in terms of helping me figure out how to do this as well as I can with what little experience I have.

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you're really really ridiculously ambitious, since the event is a couple weeks away, you could hit the phones and call up these guys gyms and ask their coaches what their background is. If it's a really small event then maybe there are several guys coming from the same gyms which would make it easier. It would be a lot of work for no-name guys tho

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"What is one question that you wish journalists would ask you?"

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
If you're not prepared to do research on the guys and ask them interesting, unique questions, don't bother

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

willie_dee posted:

This is genius, but I don't want to get punched. I want to be nice to fighters, I don't like gotchya journalism, especially when I am new and trying to establish a reliable name for myself. I like fighters and I don't like people being mean to them.

Ok then how about "Do you think it's a good idea to put your fight plan in the public view before a fight?"

All of the obvious questions are things that fighters are either going to lie about (if it actually relates to the fight) or their going to give a dumb, stock answer. Maybe ask them about who their heroes in the sport are, what they think about other combat arts like Wrestling, Judo, Boxing etc, ask them about the BNP or whatever. Just give them a chance to say something positive.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Steve Glutenberg posted:

If you're not prepared to do research on the guys and ask them interesting, unique questions, don't bother

I am and have been doing pretty much what Mewse suggested already.

Some of these fighters are either unreachable or are simply not responding back and I don't want to bug them. I am also worried that they may think I am their competition trying to spy on them or something so I don't blame them for not replying or wanting to talk to me.

Posting here for advice is mainly a 3rd resort to doing a pre interview on the night if I can't get any information before hand.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
William if you want I can get you press access to this z-leauge event

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Oh wow, I really appreciate that! I'll look into it but as of right now, I have got a film crew taking a weekend off to do this up coming event and I'm paying their expenses, I would love to do that event but it is probably very unlikely being international and at such short notice. At present I am putting all my spare time into the one event at a time, I am very new at this and taking things slowly.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Tonight was super successful, it's 6am and I jus got back, some of the fighters took me to a strip club called platinum lace, it was very strange being sober and bought dances, I remained level headed and tried to turn down a lot but they were pretty insisting, my journalistic integrity remains intact and my girlfriend didn't mind, a good night was had by all.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

willie_dee posted:

Tonight was super successful, it's 6am and I jus got back, some of the fighters took me to a strip club called platinum lace, it was very strange being sober and bought dances, I remained level headed and tried to turn down a lot but they were pretty insisting, my journalistic integrity remains intact and my girlfriend didn't mind, a good night was had by all.

You are the coolest.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Jack of Hearts posted:

You are the coolest.

I have a feeling I am the exact opposite of cool and that's why I was so jovially recieved and so much entertainmet was had putting me in the awkward position of having to converse with pretty topless girls who have been told I am the CEO of the group and paid to attack me with various rubbing dance moves without my conscent, but I didn't want to make a scene, so politely accepted, and I don't think politeness is something that the girls get from more regular customers of suh establishments.

The fights were really good and I think my interviews went well, although admitadly some we're a bit awkward at first as I got used to it, it was super nice to be accepted into the scenery and allowed to be involved so much and I don't think I got in the way or caused any problems and the fighters seemed to like being interviewed lots.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

willie_dee posted:

I have a feeling I am the exact opposite of cool and that's why I was so jovially recieved and so much entertainmet was had putting me in the awkward position of having to converse with pretty topless girls who have been told I am the CEO of the group and paid to attack me with various rubbing dance moves without my conscent, but I didn't want to make a scene, so politely accepted, and I don't think politeness is something that the girls get from more regular customers of suh establishments.

The fights were really good and I think my interviews went well, although admitadly some we're a bit awkward at first as I got used to it, it was super nice to be accepted into the scenery and allowed to be involved so much and I don't think I got in the way or caused any problems and the fighters seemed to like being interviewed lots.

You are the coolest.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

You are the coolest.

I really aren't, I saw some of the footage and played back on the camera itself and I make Jake Shields look positively un-equine

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
It's hip to be square

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Is British dental work also hip because then I might be headed for the big time, watch out Ariel Helwani

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

willie_dee posted:

OK, so I might be getting an all access pass to a fairly large but very C level local show with my and my camera man. If so, I'm going to be interviewing a lot of fighters who I know nothing about and are barely pro, plus any names that happen to be there and the promoter himself.

For the people I know nothing about how is?

"Hi, im Willie_Dee with SASMMA.com here with "xxxxx" who is about to be fighting "yyyyy",

"xxxxx" how has training gone for this upcoming fight?
Do you know much about your opponent and do you have a game plan?
Anything else you would like to say?

Thanks and good luck "xxxxx"!"

Would that be OK, brief and simple?

If nothing else, do a google search for the last two or three interviews with the fighter in question, and don't ask anything that was asked in them.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

fatherdog posted:

If nothing else, do a google search for the last two or three interviews with the fighter in question, and don't ask anything that was asked in them.

Events been and gone now, only 3 out of the 24 fighters had really done any kind of interview before and 1 of them mysteriously didn't show up. It was a very local card for local people, just great for me to practice everything on, same as for them really.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Can we see the end result anywhere?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

gimpsuitjones posted:

Can we see the end result anywhere?

I'm being bought the footage tonight, then im having to edit it, its a long process, and we have 4 hours of video...

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
It loving better be 3D

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

niethan posted:

It loving better be 3D

And make me horse face even worse?! I think not.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

willie dee you need to move to california because i would gladly do editing for you (that is my job) and you could find a whole bunch of people to stalk out here.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

1st AD posted:

willie dee you need to move to california because i would gladly do editing for you (that is my job) and you could find a whole bunch of people to stalk out here.

I considered selling my house and moving to Las Vegas to do it, but the state of the USA immigration is such that I would have to leave the country every 3 months for a few hours to stay within my tourist visa allowance, there is no other way to do it.

I just got Sony Vegas 11, will that do the job?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah, the main thing with editing you need to be concerned about is good organization, once you kind of master that everything is a breeze.

If JT ever has a fight in Cali or Vegas you should hit me up, I'd totally do some videos with you.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, the main Swedish MMA-site, MMA-Nytt, is usually fairly crap, but I really do think that one of their reporters, Marcus Kowal who handles most of their Englidh interviews., is one of the better interviewers out there. He seems to be pretty good at putting his interviwees at ease yet still asking interesting questions. A fairly long interview below as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7DFoqQi164

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
Man editing is hard and time consuming! So far I edited together this.

http://youtu.be/ZZnTTugYMmQ

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Came across a great piece of journalism on Bleacher Report.

quote:

The champ imposed his will as predicted and, as he expected, Mir gave up, just as he has in the past when the going gets rough.

Each of Frank Mir's six career losses has come via TKO, but in none of these fights was Mir truly unconscious, down and out.

Losing to heavy-hitters like Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin and Junior dos Santos is nothing to be ashamed of, but the way he lost these fights is, however, despicable.

Does Frank Mir have a suspect chin/heart that causes him to crumble when he gets hit in the face? Yes. But to say he was never out against Carwin is just the height of silliness.

...and that was the second time he got knocked out in that fight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Carwin fight is the reason I don't question Mir's heart. The dude was knocked silly and still tried to grab for a kimura even though it just meant he was going to get punched in the face more.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Thermos H Christ posted:

Came across a great piece of journalism on Bleacher Report.

Does Frank Mir have a suspect chin/heart that causes him to crumble when he gets hit in the face? Yes. But to say he was never out against Carwin is just the height of silliness.

...and that was the second time he got knocked out in that fight.

I don't read a Bleacher Report article unless they have that stupid slideshow function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Thermos H Christ posted:

The champ imposed his will as predicted and, as he expected, Mir gave up, just as he has in the past when the going gets rough.

Each of Frank Mir's six career losses has come via TKO, but in none of these fights was Mir truly unconscious, down and out.

Losing to heavy-hitters like Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin and Junior dos Santos is nothing to be ashamed of, but the way he lost these fights is, however, despicable.
Bad writers universally overuse and misuse commas. You could probably write an application that measure writing quality purely on a comma per sentence basis.

• Locked thread