Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You can either strip the DRM, or juggle apps. Not an ideal situation, but The Publishers don't want to provide an ideal situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Preordered my Nexus 7 on day one. I've been meaning to get a tablet for a while, but couldn't justify the cost. £200 for a decent spec tablet makes it an easy purchase.

That said, I'm kind of hoping that somebody makes a Transformer-style dock/keyboard for the Nexus 7. I know that 7" isn't big enough to be a 'laptop', but being able to charge/type would be cool.

Failing that, a Surface style 'prop' case, like this, or an iPad style folding prop screen cover (which is unlikely given all the patent wars) would be fantastic. I honestly just want to prop my Nexus 7 to a decent viewing angle is all, then maybe grab a bluetooth keyboard.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Rohaq posted:

Preordered my Nexus 7 on day one. I've been meaning to get a tablet for a while, but couldn't justify the cost. £200 for a decent spec tablet makes it an easy purchase.

That said, I'm kind of hoping that somebody makes a Transformer-style dock/keyboard for the Nexus 7. I know that 7" isn't big enough to be a 'laptop', but being able to charge/type would be cool.

Failing that, a Surface style 'prop' case, like this, or an iPad style folding prop screen cover (which is unlikely given all the patent wars) would be fantastic. I honestly just want to prop my Nexus 7 to a decent viewing angle is all, then maybe grab a bluetooth keyboard.

I dunno if we will ever see an official/unofficial dock (I wish), but there are already generic keyboard folio cases for 7 inch tablets (that require an unwieldy USB cable)...I'm considering one myself but I'm sitting on it still waiting for a more graceful solution.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Quinton posted:

Nexus 7 supports USB Host Mode with an appropriate adapter (ID pin needs to be pulled low, IIRC) -- the same kind that work with Galaxy Nexus, and other "cable switched" OTG devices.

The OS supports standard USB HID keyboards, mice, trackpads, joysticks, etc, "out of the box", and photo import from PTP capable cameras (plugged in a Nikon D700 and gallery launched with a Photo Import Picker).

Other devices can be supported through third party software (http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/usb/host.html).

Thank you!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So I have a thing I can do tomorrow.

A guy locally went to I/O and he is selling his Q online locally. I emailed him back and forth and he agreed to sell it for $262. Odd price, odd device, but I'm intrigued.

I emailed him a few times back and forth and asked if he would sell his Nexus 7 (he didn't want to). I emailed an offer anyway for the Q and Nexus 7. $500. He just emailed back and said deal!

I know it's the 8gig white Nexus 7. I also know the Q, as it stands, is a one-trick pony, but I do believe Google will expand it's capabilities as time goes on.

So, if you were me and you happened to have $500 (I will have it from my iPad sale this week) would you do this? I did pre-order a 16gig Nexus 7, but honestly think I could manage with 8gigs. Of course, 16 would be better though. Essentially this works out to a very similar price-point for both today (after tax and shipping from Google Play).

Edit, a case is also included.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 2, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hotsauce posted:

So, if you were me and you happened to have $500 (I will have it from my iPad sale this week) would you do this? I did pre-order a 16gig Nexus 7, but honestly think I could manage with 8gigs. Of course, 16 would be better though. Essentially this works out to a very similar price-point for both today (after tax and shipping from Google Play).

No I would keep the iPad or get the 7 and save the other $250. I'm not you and don't know anything about you, and $250 for the 7 is basically retail maybe saving tax, but I have yet to hear an argument other than "(somewhat) made in the USA!" for why the Q is worth more than $50-75 at most. I wouldn't be so sure google is going to make it something it isn't already. I think it will flop and get abandoned and sold for $50 on woot within months.

randyest fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 2, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I wouldn't waste the money on the Q. Yeah, it's super well designed, visually speaking, but, as a functional piece of equipment, it's pretty pointless. I really like how Google pointed out that it has a micro usb port "for easy hackability" (or something like that). It feels to me like they're just saying, "here's a fancy piece of technology, please buy it and make it useful to you."

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

XIII posted:

I wouldn't waste the money on the Q. Yeah, it's super well designed, visually speaking, but, as a functional piece of equipment, it's pretty pointless. I really like how Google pointed out that it has a micro usb port "for easy hackability" (or something like that). It feels to me like they're just saying, "here's a fancy piece of technology, please buy it and make it useful to you."

Yeah, everything I've read about the Q is truly scathing. I'm going to sleep on it. I have a glimmer of hope that Google will do something with it though. I mean, it has 16gigs and runs Android, so there's no way it can only stream music, youtube and Play stuff.

Right?...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's a pretty lovely $300 bet.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hotsauce posted:

Yeah, everything I've read about the Q is truly scathing. I'm going to sleep on it. I have a glimmer of hope that Google will do something with it though. I mean, it has 16gigs and runs Android, so there's no way it can only stream music, youtube and Play stuff.

Right?...

With Google I have found they'll bring out a good service or product, but then forget to update or ignore it for months/years, which over that time other competitors will come out with similar, but better polished/maintained versions of that product. This in turn causes a huge drop in the number of people using the Google product. Then the ADD affected engineers/programmers at Google will get bored of their product and kill it off.

Other than search, ads, Android and Gmail, there hasn't really been any products that Google has launched that they have stuck by for years with continual upgrades or improvements.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The Nexus Q is essentially a galaxy nexus with a built in amp and no screen with a specialized app layer. And $500 is essentially retail for the 2 units. I'd walk on both deals. You've got a 16GB pre-ordered and don't have a solid need for the Q.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Right?...

I like the concept of the Q (it actually solves a real "first world problem" at parties and what not) but I would only ever buy it if me and my friends were significantly invested in the Play ecosystem...at that point, the $300 might start making sense.

drat thing looks soooo cool though...

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

You Am I posted:

With Google I have found they'll bring out a good service or product, but then forget to update or ignore it for months/years, which over that time other competitors will come out with similar, but better polished/maintained versions of that product. This in turn causes a huge drop in the number of people using the Google product. Then the ADD affected engineers/programmers at Google will get bored of their product and kill it off.

Other than search, ads, Android and Gmail, there hasn't really been any products that Google has launched that they have stuck by for years with continual upgrades or improvements.
Maps? Books? Scholar? Docs? Even Google Image Search has added the ability to search by image lately. And these are just the services that I use.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Haven't they added to the - admittedly lacking - functionality of Docs recently, too?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

Haven't they added to the - admittedly lacking - functionality of Docs recently, too?

Offline Doc editing was announced at IO, although I assume you still need a connection originally to actually open the doc so it seems a bit useful for, say, working on a flight (which they actually used as an example).

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

hotsauce posted:

I emailed him a few times back and forth and asked if he would sell his Nexus 7 (he didn't want to). I emailed an offer anyway for the Q and Nexus 7. $500. He just emailed back and said deal!

Only $500 for a used $300 device + a used $200 device?? What a steal!

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Polo-Rican posted:

Only $500 for a used $300 device + a used $200 device?? What a steal!

God i hope he's super rich, because that makes zero sense.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hotsauce posted:

So, if you were me and you happened to have $500 (I will have it from my iPad sale this week) would you do this?

Having set up a Nexus Q and used it a while at home yesterday, there is no way I would pay $300 for one. The thing is very cool for what it does; it just doesn't really do a whole lot at all. I wouldn't pay more than $50-$75 for the functionality it offers right now, and even then that's a stretch given what a Roku or something can do at that point.

But of course $50 is not a price point they can offer this thing at because someone at Google decided this thing needed to have all the power of their flagship smartphone just to stream music.

And honestly I wouldn't buy the Nexus 7 off the guy, either. Getting warranty service on giveaway devices can be kind of a crapshoot.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

kitten smoothie posted:

And honestly I wouldn't buy the Nexus 7 off the guy, either. Getting warranty service on giveaway devices can be kind of a crapshoot.

It's white though! :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Right?...

You are usually good at getting a good deal on technology. This would derail that trend. Don't buy them.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Oh sweet, thanks. What apps do you use to connect/play your files?

There are of course a myriad number of file managers out there, but personally I find File Manager HD to be great, i can connect to the shared folders I have on there and stream pretty much anything I want (I have a crappy G network so i don't stream 720/1080p), but I do use FolderSync to copy over any new TV shows that get recorded from my DVR, it copies them overnight and I have them ready for my train ride to/from work, including HD files which play perfectly.

MX Player is my player of choice, it has no problem with any file I throw at it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kitten smoothie posted:

Having set up a Nexus Q and used it a while at home yesterday, there is no way I would pay $300 for one. The thing is very cool for what it does; it just doesn't really do a whole lot at all. I wouldn't pay more than $50-$75 for the functionality it offers right now, and even then that's a stretch given what a Roku or something can do at that point.

The Nexus Q is such a :psyduck: device. You could get 95% of the same fuctionality by having a MHDMI connector sitting by your TV and just plug it into your friends phones. I'm just thinking that it's maybe a platform and they have some plans for it.

I was thinking it could maybe be a gaming hub, and you pair your tablet/phone to it and it allows you to play multi-player games on the big screen or something. But like all things at Google it's released as a Beta, and they spend six months before they either kill, forget about it, or make it a tent pole.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

hotsauce posted:

So I have a thing I can do tomorrow.

A guy locally went to I/O and he is selling his Q online locally. I emailed him back and forth and he agreed to sell it for $262. Odd price, odd device, but I'm intrigued.

I know it's the 8gig white Nexus 7. I also know the Q, as it stands, is a one-trick pony, but I do believe Google will expand it's capabilities as time goes on.

This is a terrible idea. You're (as has been mentioned) essentially paying retail for two used items - one of which is of dubious value.

Why can't you wait for your preorder? Is this just a case of "omg I want it now now now!"?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to clarify, they are unopened and not used. Anyway, the price on these items from Google Play would be $577 after tax and shipping, so I would be saving over purchasing them as they are listed today.

I'm probably going to pass due to not knowing what the future of the Q is and not wanting to be constrained to 8gigs.

And no I'm not a billionaire. I just sell stuff to buy stuff. Circle of life and all. Very little, if any, out of pocket expense.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 2, 2012

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but what are the odds of the Nexus 7 hitting retailers like Futureshop, Bestbuy, etc. for $199? I'm so close to ordering one, but for whatever reason it's listed as $209, then $20 shipping to Canada. I'll probably cave and order one anyway, but if I could potentially save $30 I can make due with my ipod touch for a little while longer.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The Q is a joke. The tablet you are going to get it what, 2 weeks early?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
yeah gently caress you dude for buying those things you wanted.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I bought the Samsung Galaxy s2 in October when it was released in the US and I have very little experience with iPads. I read impressions on the Nexus 7 and they all comment how it is a direct competitor to the Fire, but not to the iPad. Besides the larger screen size and some "higher end" productivity apps (I think Aperture, etc), why aren't people considering this to be an iPad competitor?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Siroc posted:

I bought the Samsung Galaxy s2 in October when it was released in the US and I have very little experience with iPads. I read impressions on the Nexus 7 and they all comment how it is a direct competitor to the Fire, but not to the iPad. Besides the larger screen size and some "higher end" productivity apps (I think Aperture, etc), why aren't people considering this to be an iPad competitor?

Different form factor and different price bracket.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Siroc posted:

Different sizes, prices, capacities, capabilities, &c.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Endless Mike posted:

Different sizes, prices, capacities, capabilities, &c.

Are the only capacities you're talking about the size? And as far as I know, the only capabilities the Nexus is missing compared to the iPad is the back facing camera and the ability to "do more" out of the bottom port. What other capabilities?

Size I understand. Price seems rather secondary because everything else you listed is a factor in its determination.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Siroc posted:

10" ipad versus 7" nexus is a completely different thing; remember that's diagonal measurement so the actual screen area difference is huge.

2048x1536 iPad versus 1280x800 nexus 7 is also a different class (more than 3x pixel count difference.)

16/32/64GB iPad versus 8/16GB nexus 7 is also a huge difference.

Also the app selection for the nexus 7 is more comparable to that of the Fire than that of iPad. So many differences it would be weird to consider them in the same class. Seems the nexus 7 is more like a galaxy note than an iPad.

Edit: also 1080p video camera + 5MP camera on the back and front webcam on iPad vs just the 1.2MP front on the nexus 7. And probably most importantly 3G and 4G LTE support on iPad is not an option for nexus 7.

randyest fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 2, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Siroc posted:

Are the only capacities you're talking about the size? And as far as I know, the only capabilities the Nexus is missing compared to the iPad is the back facing camera and the ability to "do more" out of the bottom port. What other capabilities?

Size I understand. Price seems rather secondary because everything else you listed is a factor in its determination.
Yeah, storage (you can get up to 16 GB in a Nexus 7, which is where iPads start). No rear-facing camera (which I will grant is not terribly useful, but when the iPad 1 didn't have one everyone was angry), weaker GPU (based on other Tegra 3 devices), no available LTE, lower resolution screen. The Nexus 7 has NFC, which is something. Seriously, though, Google is targeting Amazon with it, not Apple. It's obvious in form-factor and price.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
The size is everything. All a tablet is, is a screen. If you change the size it becomes better suited to different things.

There is a lot of overlap, sure - but one is more of a convenient/light computing machine and media consumption device. The iPad claims to do much more by being more capable of productivity related tasks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

yeah gently caress you dude for buying those things you wanted.
He solicited the feedback.

The Nexus Q is a terrible purchase, even by early-adopter standards for other devices.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I mean it wouldn't be a terrible purchase for $12.99 but paying full retail price seems... unwise.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I feel the Nexus Q's $300 price tag would be justified if it had gig-e and was able to stream from a NAS or UPnP server. That and it needs Netflix and Hulu.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IT Guy posted:

I feel the Nexus Q's $300 price tag would be justified if it had gig-e and was able to stream from a NAS or UPnP server. That and it needs Netflix and Hulu.
Then it would only be overpriced by $150 instead of $200.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

IT Guy posted:

Not really when a boxee box is $179.

You can buy/build an HTPC for $300 that is smaller than the Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
HECHO EN 'MERICA