Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ThePineapple posted:

Didn't see it posted.

Anna Karenina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yUo9YbuinI

Never read the novel (I probably should). Looks interesting - visually stunning, at the least.

The interior shots in the trailer look weird, almost like a TV series. I wonder why.

Also, Natalie Portman is everywhere, even in Keira Knightley's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

ThePineapple posted:

Didn't see it posted.

Anna Karenina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yUo9YbuinI

Never read the novel (I probably should). Looks interesting - visually stunning, at the least.

My wife will love it (she adores Pride and Prejudice for the score, the visuals and that drat Mr. Darcy!). I disliked the novel so I do not see much to interest me. I will admit that many shots look good.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The standard running time for trailers is 2 minutes, 30 seconds. Believe it or not this is enforced by the MPAA. Each studio gets the opportunity for one trailer running over 150 seconds each year. Some of the best examples are James Cameron movies. The trailers for "Titanic" and "Avatar" effectively say "These are going to be the biggest movies of the year." The last movie to have a trailer like this? "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We just cut a 3 minute trailer for CineEurope for Argo. The way that thing is testing certainly helped.

Also I need to mention again how much I loving loved Dragon Tattoo. I didn't read the book or see the Swedish version. But man I loved it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

kiimo posted:

We just cut a 3 minute trailer for CineEurope for Argo. The way that thing is testing certainly helped.

Also I need to mention again how much I loving loved Dragon Tattoo. I didn't read the book or see the Swedish version. But man I loved it.

I'm immensely excited for Argo, and hearing that it is testing well only fuels the fires for me.

I also, by the way, love Dragon Tattoo. I've never read the book or seen the Swedish version either, and it took a couple of viewings, but I rate it alongside Finchers best now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Uh. Here's a thing. Not sure if it's a real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCQVcckG4-M

My god, the Narration. Who approved the narration? Who approved anything about this, actually.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

My god, the Narration. Who approved the narration? Who approved anything about this, actually.

"Like my mother used to say... quack, quack, quacker... Time to die, motherfucker!"

That... that doesn't even rhyme. That is insane. Granted, that might be the point, but jesus.

Then those actor names popping up near the end is like a bunch of mangled bodies floating to the surface.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
1. There's a Gray's Sports Almanac in that trailer.

2. Apparently, Lance Henriksen will do ANYTHING for money.

3. I was born in the early eighties, and I don't ever recall a lot of high school students wearing letterman jackets driving around in cars from the mid-40's during that decade.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Robin Sparkles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8pEzi1E5Og

No, Ruby Sparks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4RJYlSgDKM

The people behind Little Miss Sunshine got drunk and took in a double feature of Stranger than Fiction and Weird Science.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
It's an episode of the Twilight Zone, "A World Of His Own".

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I think that looks rather sweet. Of course, I loved Little Miss Sunshine, so I might be smack dab in the middle of the target audience.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've mentioned too many times my irrational hatred of Paul Dano and that actually looks good. I might actually see that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Peanut President posted:

It's an episode of the Twilight Zone, "A World Of His Own".

Simpsons did it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I don't get it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Holy poo poo this loving movie. I need to see it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
So I just saw Paul Verhoven's "Flesh + Blood" and decided to look at the trailer included with the DVD. Not only does it seem cobbled together randomly, there's almost no dialogue, nothing revealed about the plot (which admittedly is rather hosed up), and feels altogether extremely rushed and unfinished. Somehow, in spite of being nearly incoherent, it gives most of the movie away including several of the final shots of the film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tom Cruise is Jack Reacher. Never read any of Lee Child's books, since they have no appeal to me, so I don't have any baggage about it, but apparently he's like some sort of man-mountain. Tom Cruise is not that.

http://youtu.be/QrH1Q1bJkrc

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

zenintrude posted:

The people behind Little Miss Sunshine got drunk and took in a double feature of Stranger than Fiction and Weird Science.

:stare:

Apologies for what may be an overreaction, but this looks really goddamn creepy. Little Miss Sunshine owned so I think and hope that it'll be somewhat aware of the creepiness of its premise and not enshrine it, but just from the trailer there's a big sense of "It's totally awesome that I made this rape victim manic pixie dream girl that will now do anything I say".

Like I said, the movie's probably gonna end up being pretty good and is probably gonna poke at some of the ramifications of its hosed premise. But gently caress

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

zenintrude posted:

Dude looks like Clark Duke. Only less charming and more weird looking.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

zenintrude posted:

Robin Sparkles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8pEzi1E5Og

No, Ruby Sparks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4RJYlSgDKM

How is it that a movie written by a woman and co-directed by a woman can wind up as Creepy Adolescent Male Fantasy: The Motion Picture?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Farbtoner posted:

How is it that a movie written by a woman and co-directed by a woman can wind up as Creepy Adolescent Male Fantasy: The Motion Picture?

Maybe that's just how they're trying to sell it, and it's instead an empowerment tale for Ruby?

Hey, we can hope.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Some hearsay spoilers based on what advanced screening folks are saying:

It seems like the movie does in fact get pretty dark and examine the hosed up implications of its creepy adolescent male fantasy premise. No word on whether it's an empowerment story for Ruby or just a condemnation of Paul Dano, but folks who've seen it say it's way less of a feel-good wish fulfillment than the trailer indicates. But, holy gently caress, that trailer. gently caress that trailer.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe it's like Funny Games and exists to tell the audience "gently caress you for thinking this scenario sounds cool".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is one of my favourite trailers ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZtGOef5aCg

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh man that's some bad copy.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I might just be a giant nerd, but no matter your thoughts on the reboot, I think this is one of the best trailers of the last few years, especially the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyJszxnJydA&hd=1

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Who disliked the reboot??

Those people, in a universal blanket statement, are morons.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

kiimo posted:

Who disliked the reboot??

Those people, in a universal blanket statement, are morons.

People that wanted a Star Trek movie instead of an action movie. (I liked the reboot.)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

nm

kiimo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 19, 2012

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
You're just begging to derail the thread by calling out people for disliking the reboot. People dislike it because it betrays most of the things that people liked about Star Trek to begin with (dealing with ethical issues in a sci-fi context, characters grappling with their mortality, professionals logically figuring out solutions to a problem, unique/interesting villains) in favor of a generic sci-fi action movie with splosions.

Personally, I think that even if you want to put all that aside and just view it as dumb summer fun blockbuster space-opera, I think judged purely on it's own terms, it has a weak villain, bad camera-work (constant shaky-cam and camera movement), and a really disappointing score (one of my least favorite of all the star trek movies).

Not a bad movie by any stretch, but vastly over-rated in my opinion, and worse than most of the original series Star Trek films.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

bullet3 posted:

Not a bad movie by any stretch, but vastly over-rated in my opinion, and worse than most of the original series Star Trek films.

You're saying all of the original Trek movies are good? Woof. I dunno, boss. I'd say Star Trek 09, Wrath of Khan and Galaxy Quest are the best Star Trek movies by a large stretch.

Here, to keep it on topic, check out the teaser trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZFWr0vR8Q

Soooo good. I will compliment you for not ragging on len flare. I loved the lens flare.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Ya, Teaser is great, love the vintage voice-over through the whole thing. Also, just to be specific, I said "most" not all. I like Star Trek 1 (because of the ballsiness of being a hard-sci-fi movie), 2, 4, and 6 better than the reboot. And Galaxy Quest rules.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
It always bugs me that dude at the start tells Kirk to enlist in starfleet. If he becomes and officer, wouldn't he commission, not enlist?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

It always bugs me that dude at the start tells Kirk to enlist in starfleet. If he becomes and officer, wouldn't he commission, not enlist?

What's the difference?

(The point I'm making is that I think a lot of people don't know there's a difference.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BlueBayou posted:

Star Trek has historically paid very little attention to how rank works. (See: Miles O' Brien, apparently the only enlisted man in the entire fleet.)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Star Trek has historically paid very little attention to how rank works. (See: Miles O' Brien, apparently the only enlisted man in the entire fleet.)

I know, but it still bugs me.

He could have just said "Join starfleet" instead of "enlist in starfleet"

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

The MSJ posted:

This is one of my favourite trailers ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZtGOef5aCg

"The most highly developed nuclear flowerpots COULD NOT STOP IT!"

I love you Troma.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Maxwell Lord posted:

A military full of officers. And not a single Powerpoint slide seen in all the series.

Nobody called it realistic

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So, having purchased the movie Videodrome from its original investors after writer/director David Croneberg's Scanners topped the box office, Universal Pictures found itself with a problem- they had no idea what the Hell they had just bought or how to sell it. A test screening was a disaster, and they didn't know if it was a horror movie or an art film or what.

First they tried this teaser, which is kinda straightforward and points to the central shock image of the picture. They went really sci-fi on the end title treatment.

Then they decided that, well, Deborah Harry is in this movie, we can sell it to her fans, and they came up with something that could I guess be used as a club background, set to a Blondie song and using the finest graphics that Commodore 64s could produce.

This was the result.

Finally, for the official trailer, Universal combined the psychedelic cyberpunk imagery with actual footage from the movie and an actual attempt to explain what it was about. They almost succeed.

You'll note that none of the trailers use the title treatment that actually became the official one for the movie, which I guess only really stuck via the home video release.

Needless to say, Universal did not make their money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Truthfully I really like the original Videodrome teaser. It shows a compelling image that represents the film well, and doesn't spoil anything else about the movie. It's a shame the other trailers suck balls.

• Locked thread