Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Why don't you guys use touch to click? It's the first thing I turn on when I get a new mac laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

x-virge posted:

If Dashboard is set up to be a full-screen space (that's the default now), you can use the three-or-more finger trackpad swipe gesture to get to it quickly.

The other thing to try is different modifier keys in combination with the Launchpad key. I'm not finding documentation on what they might do.

Yes, but the dash is all the way to the left, that could be 17 desktops away!

spaceship posted:

Why don't you guys use touch to click? It's the first thing I turn on when I get a new mac laptop.
Doesn't help for drags though.

The touchpad is fine in OSX but in bootcamp you're really limited as you can't do things like a right click drag. Thats really MS's problem though I suppose...

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 1, 2012

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

hobbesmaster posted:

Doesn't help for drags though.

Sure it does! There is an option to turn on 3 finger drags. point at what you want to drag, touch the touchpad with three fingers and drag away. No clicks. Owns.

touch to click + 3 finger drag supremacy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spaceship posted:

Sure it does! There is an option to turn on 3 finger drags. point at what you want to drag, touch the touchpad with three fingers and drag away. No clicks. Owns.

I always thought that switching screens was three fingers not four. Learn something new everyday.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

spaceship posted:

And then when dragging, lift one finger and tap with it to precisely drop what you're dragging.

(I figured this out after getting angry with 3 finger drag's delay before 'clicking' after lifting your fingers, and I love it so much)

hobbesmaster posted:

I always thought that switching screens was three fingers not four. Learn something new everyday.

It is, unless you change it. Which you need to in order to enable 3 finger drag.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

spaceship posted:

And with the various custom mouse thingys you can map middle/cmd click to three finger tap! I have four finger tap for middle/cmd+shift click for reversing the foreground/background tab action. And five finger swipe (albeit kind of hard to do) for switching tabs. Won't need that one when the next Safari comes out.

About the only thing I need to use clicks for is uh, dragging something while doing a space/dashboard switch gesture.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Here's a more general FedEx-related question: My rMBP is currently at a FedEx facility about 30 minutes away from my home, but it says that the delivery date is still in two days. Will FedEx usually hold onto a package in the name of "you didn't pay for it to get here that fast, so deal with it", or is it possible they'll deliver it tomorrow?

edit:
FedEx! :argh:
vvvvvvvv

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 1, 2012

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

SgtScruffy posted:

Here's a more general FedEx-related question: My rMBP is currently at a FedEx facility about 30 minutes away from my home, but it says that the delivery date is still in two days. Will FedEx usually hold onto a package in the name of "you didn't pay for it to get here that fast, so deal with it", or is it possible they'll deliver it tomorrow?

It will be delivered on the expected date

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spaceship posted:

It will be delivered on the expected date

I have gotten things a day early from FedEx before. (Note the lack of a "Ground" after that)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

x-virge posted:

If Dashboard is set up to be a full-screen space (that's the default now), you can use the three-or-more finger trackpad swipe gesture to get to it quickly.

The other thing to try is different modifier keys in combination with the Launchpad key. I'm not finding documentation on what they might do.

In mission control preferences you can choose to have the dashboard as its own space or an overlay as before. I'm also positive that you can choose the dashboard shortcut in keyboard preferences.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I got things early from FedEx quite a few times when I was living on-campus and my packages went to a central location. I assume that if they already have a trunk with available space going by you they'll toss the package in, but they won't go out of their way to schedule a delivery before the expected date.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So did it take anyone else forever to figure out that you could drag files by first clicking and holding down your left index finger, then using your right index finger to move the file around? For some reason I always attempted it with one hand until a few months ago.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Clicking with the right thumb and dragging with the right finger is better.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

withak posted:

Clicking with the right thumb and dragging with the right finger is better.

Why anyone would do anything other than this (or enabling the three click drag) is mind-boggling. It's one of the first things I tried to do when I got my a MacBook 6 years ago and now watching people do dumb poo poo like this all day is aggravating.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Question for mid-2012 MBA owners: I've noticed that the MBA seems to have a ridiculously loose hinge as in the screen will fall to closed position from 45degrees or so. (same thing with falling to full open once I go past 100deg or so). Are you guys noticing the same thing? I'm not sure if it's just a break-in period or not but it is noticeably looser than when I first got it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

To double-check, authentic Apple power adapters are the way to go, is there a recommended place to buy them outside of the Fruit Stand to save a few bucks? I'm thinking of getting a dedicated one for my HengeDock.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
OWC/www.macsales.com has the authentic ones for pretty cheap.

Edit: nevermind, seems like they dont have many right now. Check back from time to time since they usually have a bunch of them in stock.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

movax posted:

To double-check, authentic Apple power adapters are the way to go, is there a recommended place to buy them outside of the Fruit Stand to save a few bucks? I'm thinking of getting a dedicated one for my HengeDock.

How're you liking the HengeDock? I like the idea but Amazon reviews say it's cheaply built.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

roffles posted:

Question for mid-2012 MBA owners: I've noticed that the MBA seems to have a ridiculously loose hinge as in the screen will fall to closed position from 45degrees or so. (same thing with falling to full open once I go past 100deg or so). Are you guys noticing the same thing? I'm not sure if it's just a break-in period or not but it is noticeably looser than when I first got it.
The hinge test: open it all the way and hold the computer so that the body is vertical and the display leans toward you. If it stays open, it's normal.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How're you liking the HengeDock? I like the idea but Amazon reviews say it's cheaply built.

It's not too bad; I use it mostly as a charging dock rather than a "full" dock to use with a keyboard/mouse/etc. The tolerances seemed just fine when I first put it together. I don't have a spare table to leave the MBP open/running on anymore, but the Hengedock has a very nice small footprint.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

In mission control preferences you can choose to have the dashboard as its own space or an overlay as before. I'm also positive that you can choose the dashboard shortcut in keyboard preferences.

Yeah. I was hoping cmd+launchpad key would do something interesting, the way that cmd+mission control does show desktop. I just got a chance to try on a Mac with one of the newer keyboard and didn't find anything interesting, though. I guess Crossbar just has to change the Dashboard shortcut (either in Keyboard prefs or from Mission Control prefs).

hobbesmaster posted:

To be clear, the default setting is three OR four fingers to switch spaces. If you enable three-finger drag, then it becomes four only. But on default setups, you can still use four if you so desire.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
How for those of you who've had an rMBP for a few days, how are you feeling on GPU performance?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Small White Dragon posted:

How for those of you who've had an rMBP for a few days, how are you feeling on GPU performance?

Starcraft 2 at 1920x1200 is pretty good. Not great but good. Like 35 to 40 fps. And cranked settings.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Small White Dragon posted:

It's more pleasant to play minecraft on my rmbp than it was on my 2011 27" imac, fwiw

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Looks like a guy on MacRumors is trying to get this awesome adapter made - mounts flush in your Mac for extra storage (especially useful for 64GB/128GB Air users!)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206894

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

ptier posted:

Starcraft 2 at 1920x1200 is pretty good. Not great but good. Like 35 to 40 fps. And cranked settings.

Have you tried 1440x900? That's really the resolution I want to see benchmarks at.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Midee posted:

Have you tried 1440x900? That's really the resolution I want to see benchmarks at.

I'll take a look this evening.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ptier posted:

I'll take a look this evening.
If it's anything like Diablo III, it'll run at 60fps with the res at 1440x900. On mine, Diablo is 20-25 fps with all options but shadows/antialiasing at max on 2880x1800, 35-40 fps with all options but shadows at max at 1920x1200 and a steady 60 fps with all options at max at 1440x900.

As far warning, it does get hot when using the GPU a lot. It was actually hotter while running Diablo for 10 minutes than it was when I had 4 VMs running on it concurrently for half an hour.

Overall though, I'm really happy with the MBPR. The reduced weight isn't that obvious while holding it, but it certainly is when I'm carrying it in my bag.

At the end of the day, if you're expecting a MacBook Air that's as powerful as a MBP, you're going to be disappointed. If you're expecting a MBP that weighs a little less, can drive multiple screens, has an amazing screen of its own and you're also not deterred by having to use dongles for Ethernet and FireWire, then you're going to find it great.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Mercurius posted:

If it's anything like Diablo III, it'll run at 60fps with the res at 1440x900. On mine, Diablo is 20-25 fps with all options but shadows/antialiasing at max on 2880x1800, 35-40 fps with all options but shadows at max at 1920x1200 and a steady 60 fps with all options at max at 1440x900.

As far warning, it does get hot when using the GPU a lot. It was actually hotter while running Diablo for 10 minutes than it was when I had 4 VMs running on it concurrently for half an hour.

Overall though, I'm really happy with the MBPR. The reduced weight isn't that obvious while holding it, but it certainly is when I'm carrying it in my bag.

At the end of the day, if you're expecting a MacBook Air that's as powerful as a MBP, you're going to be disappointed. If you're expecting a MBP that weighs a little less, can drive multiple screens, has an amazing screen of its own and you're also not deterred by having to use dongles for Ethernet and FireWire, then you're going to find it great.

That's pretty much this is what I found playing tonight.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ive noticed I have to push down a bit harder to get my mousepad on my MBP to respond. Does this indicate I should tighten screw below the surface or loosen it?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

actionjackson posted:

Ive noticed I have to push down a bit harder to get my mousepad on my MBP to respond. Does this indicate I should tighten screw below the surface or loosen it?

Tighten, typically.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Any chance they will drop depress-to-click altogether? I won't miss it, but I guess some people try tap-to-click and prefer the other way. I'm all for removing as many moving parts as is feasible (not the keyboard, I'm not a masochist).

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Does anyone have a recommendation for an extremely basic sleeve or sock to put the Apple Wireless Keyboard in? I used to use an old laptop sleeve, but I guess I lost it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Arrowsmith posted:

Any chance they will drop depress-to-click altogether? I won't miss it, but I guess some people try tap-to-click and prefer the other way. I'm all for removing as many moving parts as is feasible (not the keyboard, I'm not a masochist).

Honestly the buttonless trackpad is one of the bigger issues I'd have using any Apple laptop :/ Doing without depress-to-click wouldn't help.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm sure they would have already have removed press to click if they thought they could get away with it, and the fact that they haven't therefore proves that they probably can't. :v:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaocaholica posted:

Honestly the buttonless trackpad is one of the bigger issues I'd have using any Apple laptop :/ Doing without depress-to-click wouldn't help.
Unless you run native Windows, using an Apple trackpad (buttonless) isn't like using other buttonless trackpads - which are uniformly awful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Best Buy has slashed prices of the recently released MacBook line of notebooks. The leading vendor of electronic goods has slashed prices of the new versions of MacBook Pro and Air. The new Retina MacBook Pro with 8GB will soon be available for $2,659.99 after a reduction of $140. The Retina Pro base model will come for $2,089.99 after a slash of $110. As per the new pricing, the new MacBook Air will start at $949 with 4GB of RAM.

geera
May 20, 2003
Does Best Buy carry any custom configurations, like the base Air but with the 8GB upgrade? Or are they 100% standard configs?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

geera posted:

Does Best Buy carry any custom configurations, like the base Air but with the 8GB upgrade? Or are they 100% standard configs?

100% standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why did some older Mac video cards come with the ADC connector? Was it for USB data and video only? Surely they didn't actually pipe power through the video card to power the display did they?