Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Here's a question; which character has the best color scheme? I'm quite fond of Vriska's blue and orange, though Aradia's red and orange is good too.
e: jesus christ not a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sorry I can't not like John's cool (literally) scheme. :3:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Colour-wise (and design-wise, as well), I adore Rose's God-Tier outfit. With all the goth stuff she wore before I never thought she'd look good in vibrant sunshine orange but she just rocks it. The little blue sandals make it perfect.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hussie loving loves color and you can see a lot of the character represented in his choices for what they're covered with. Like Dave and Dirk, for example. Dave is red on white, and Dirk is orange on white. Dirk is literally a cooler version of his brother. :v:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Norton Ghostride posted:

No updates?

It's Vriska time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oh, I see it's half past Vriska.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Locking threads is for the weak. Lets see the depths that this thread will melt down into without regular updates.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, maybe we might eke out a reasonable conversation instead of just assuming we're gonna devolve into Vriskachat at the mention of an hiatus? Just a thought...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Let's spitball ridiculously outlandish predictions instead of all this metavriskachat.

Here's one. It is possible that, due to ontological paradoxes and ectobiological origins, Sburb players are not actually humans (trolls, cherubs, etc.), only resembling them. If this is true, it would imply that Dad is adopted, which would at any rate explain how he is exactly the same in both universes despite being the son of Jane in one and John in the other. Of course, if they're not ordinary humans, then what are they, apart from special?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

Here's a question; which character has the best color scheme?

Eridan.

Violet is the centrepiece, but it's surrounded by black, navy, gold, aqua (his not-pictured shoes), and in this sequence, white and orange. Somehow they all successfully complement that central colour.

I find a lot of Andrew's palettes clashy in that he tends towards colours that exist only in the extremes of the RGB gamut (I will never be convinced that #ff0000 ever looks good), but this poo poo right here is solid as gently caress.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Bongo Bill posted:

Of course, if they're not ordinary humans, then what are they, apart from special?

Dancers.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006428

quote:

You also love to keep a bunch of HATS around, even though you never wear them. You love HATS. Because all bros love HATS, and that's what you are. A bro.

You'd consider wearing one now and then, but they don't really fit the dimensions of your head yet. And anyway, it would be criminal to mess up your perfect hair.

Clearly, older Bro wears a hat because he no longer has perfect hair. Because he is going bald.

Balding Dirk Who Is Insecure About It fills me with amusement.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

fatherdog posted:

Clearly, older Bro wears a hat because he no longer has perfect hair. Because he is going bald.

Balding Dirk Who Is Insecure About It fills me with amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvXwJjd-o8k

Poor Bro.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It annoys me so much that it skips the one position. I wish that it didn't do that. Ideally it would also have no robot hand and have a transparent background.

I tried to fix all of that one time but all I got was a depressing reminder that I am terrible at image editing.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Elysiume posted:

It annoys me so much that it skips the one position. I wish that it didn't do that. Ideally it would also have no robot hand and have a transparent background.

I tried to fix all of that one time but all I got was a depressing reminder that I am terrible at image editing.

The issue is more that the robot hand should be on the watch face! Also that it actually skips three positions.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

zolthorg posted:

The issue is more that the robot hand should be on the watch face! Also that it actually skips three positions.
Are you telling me that it is never actually vriskatime. what is this horseshit.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
Since we're just saying random things, I'm going to point out that busting makes me feel good sounds like John's fight theme from God Hand.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Help me out...when in the narrative was it that characters postulated that the game tailors itself to challenge each player individually and help them grow as individuals. I want to re-read those pages.

Was it during Vriska talking to John or Scratch talking to the audience, or...?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bobulus posted:

Help me out...when in the narrative was it that characters postulated that the game tailors itself to challenge each player individually and help them grow as individuals. I want to re-read those pages.

Was it during Vriska talking to John or Scratch talking to the audience, or...?

You could just do a ctrl+f "challenge" into the text dump for Act 5. From http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004467

quote:

FCG: HELL YOU PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER MAID OF TIME THAN THE ONE WE WERE STUCK WITH.
FCG: SHE'S COMPLETELY SHITHIVE MAGGOTS, DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED.
CGA: I Think We Are Given Roles To Challenge Us
CGA: That Dont Necessarily Suit Our Strengths
CGA: At Least I Was
CGA: I Have No Idea What Im Doing Here

It's likely said again later in act, I'll look some more.

e: Vriska says in http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005368

quote:

AG: 8ut at least paradox space gave us some purpose 8efore wiping us out, right?
AG: At least we got the chance to cre8te you guys, and all those twinkly stars you used to look up at.
EB: yeah, that's true.
AG: So 8ecause we got that chance, it means we'll never actually get to come of age and enter troll society, and see if we got what it takes.
AG: 8ut that doesn't mean we stop growing up!
AG: I think the game knows it's always gonna 8e played 8y kids, and it always rigs it so they enter right around the cusp of sexual maturity, whatever the race is.
AG: Which kinda makes sense, since if they succeed, they've got their whole lives ahead of them to do whatever the hell they're going to do in their universe, like start repopul8ing and whatnot.
AG: That means the game also knows it's got to deal with all these drat kids who are coming of age while playing it!
AG: I really think how successfully they mature is tied to success in the game. It challenges the players in all the ways they need to 8e challenged to grow, which is different for every individual, and veeeeeeeery different for every race.
AG: I don't think we were so hot at that aspect of the game. In fact, I'm sure we were quite awful. Hell, even I wasn't that gr8 at it! I actually just kinda fell rear end 8ackwards into the god tier, to 8e honest.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 2, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Also, since we've been talking a lot about the symbolism of suns and eyes, I'd forgotten about the time that we got both:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005738

edit: Specifically, a cat's eye. GCAT, what does this mean?

edit2: drat it, I'm remember all kinds of stuff on this reread. Did anyone else forget that Doc Scratch suggested the 4th-wall plan to Jade? Because it seems like an important detail that Doc Scratch wants John and Jade to survive.

edit3: Huh. uu is the time player and Calliope is the space player. Meaning it would be Calliope's job to make the Frog. This raises several questions. Does uu not know about this, and killing uu is going to spoil his plans? (Remember, only Calliope can make the deal for the important "already there" frog.) Or is the main reason he's keeping her alive is so that she'll complete the frog first?

edit4: Oh, god, the Final Frog is both "already here" [on Earth before the session] and has flashing color patterns like Lord English's coat. Is that what uu uses to become Lord English? :tinfoil:

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 2, 2012

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Bobulus posted:

edit4: Oh, god, the Final Frog is both "already here" [on Earth before the session] and has flashing color patterns like Lord English's coat. Is that what uu uses to become Lord English? :tinfoil:

It's actually just flashing through the 4 B1 kids' eye color.

edit: And on that note, we've also seen the "heat sun" used to represent Pyralspite's eyes on a few occasions. Specifically, in [S] Seer: Ascend.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

What structure do people think the epilogue might take? I know it's very hard to guess without knowing the nature of the climax, but I do remember Hussie suggesting Act 7 would be the epilogue and shortest of acts.

I think the format will be tied to the tone. Will it be long and indulgent, studded with flash files and long dialoglogs to tie up all loose ends and answer all lingering questions, seeing off characters in style? Will it be short and graceful, perhaps one long rambling flash showing the final fate of our heroes, sort of like the ending to Problem Sleuth except animated and set to music? Hussie said Cascade would be his longest and most ambitious flash but there's still plenty of room beneath it to make a worthy epilogue. Even then Hussie has often underestimated himself and we'd hardly be surprised to see him make a longer flash anyway.

Despite how we might joke, I do think Hussie has a bit of a sentimental streak and will want to give his story and characters a proper send-off rather than throw some big twist ending or leave us with "lots of speculation from everyone". I don't think even he has the heart to suddenly kill everyone or give an unclear, abrupt ending. The only thing I'm worried about is that with all this time travel and cloning and multiple universes and resets the story might possibly end with the heroes getting wiped or reset in some way, saving a universe or even Earth but forgetting each other and their adventures. That's suitably bittersweet, maybe.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Something I was wondering: has there ever been, in the hundreds of thousands of words in Homestuck, any indication that any of these kids go to school?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For the longest time the only indications that there was any life outside of their own homes was Dad's twitter and the gamefaqs board for SBURB.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Bobulus posted:

Also, since we've been talking a lot about the symbolism of suns and eyes, I'd forgotten about the time that we got both:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005738

There's another time: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005534
And did Vriska ever have the same sun-in-the-eye thing? I feel like she did but I can't find it.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Eridan's color scheme really is the best, too bad he's such an rear end. At least Kanaya's still around to keep things fashionable. :3:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is there anything I can use to tag all of my Homestuck music with the correct track art? A bunch of my stuff is weird, like Volume 8 has the album art set for like 6 tracks instead of the awesome track art it should be.

Or do I have to go manually take it from the Bandcamp page and change all of them?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Is there anything I can use to tag all of my Homestuck music with the correct track art? A bunch of my stuff is weird, like Volume 8 has the album art set for like 6 tracks instead of the awesome track art it should be.

Or do I have to go manually take it from the Bandcamp page and change all of them?
http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?42697-Tagstuck-%28formerly-Metastuck%29-Music-Metadata-Correction

Pretty sure Tagstuck does the album art too.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
If anyone's interested, this week I'm writing commentary for my three songs from coloUrs and mayhem: Universe A. I've posted Violet Mariner today, and the other two will be posted on Wednesday and Friday.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dark Grapefruit posted:

And did Vriska ever have the same sun-in-the-eye thing? I feel like she did but I can't find it.

I'm pretty sure that was the last frame of Seer: Ascend.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Wrist Watch posted:

I had this problem a while ago, and it turns out the correct track art is there, it's just incorrectly tagged as being JPG when it's actually PNG (or perhaps the other way around, I don't remember). I was able to batch-fix it using MP3tag and Irfanview, but I've forgotten the exact details.

Tagstuck doesn't fix it, unfortunately.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Walliard posted:

I had this problem a while ago, and it turns out the correct track art is there, it's just incorrectly tagged as being JPG when it's actually PNG (or perhaps the other way around, I don't remember). I was able to batch-fix it using MP3tag and Irfanview, but I've forgotten the exact details.

Tagstuck doesn't fix it, unfortunately.

Yeah, my understanding is that there's an official standard format for MP3 tags, but no one really follows it. So whether things work right for your music player comes down to whether the creator wrote it to handle whatever dumb thing Bandcamp does with their metadata.

Anyway, looking at the metadata for vol. 8 it appears that all of the mp3 files claim that the embedded image files are JPEGs, but a lot of the image files are actually PNGs, as Walliard said. For some earlier volumes, some of the image files are GIFs but are purported to be PNGs (since the mp3 tagging standard doesn't actually support GIFs!). For vol. 9 everything appears to be in order, though - all of the embedded images are jpegs, and all of them are labeled as such.

Unfortunately, if your music player is choking on how the metadata is presented, I don't really have a better suggestion than "fix it by hand". (If the music player has a built-in feature for changing track art then you can use that, or in any case you can use a separate tag editor program such as MP3Tag or EasyTag to edit the MP3 file itself). If you're handy with scripting you could try to write something to automate it, but that would probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Dark Grapefruit posted:

Yep! It was in the animation where her mind powers weren't working on John, so she decided to TRY HARDER.

EDIT: yeah, here we go.
http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004546

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

e: in response to the advice above: Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Oh well, the whole process is basically: have bandcamp open -> open image in new tab -> drag to desktop -> drag into Tag&Rename.

It took all of like 20 or 30 minutes to do 3 albums.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
I did something along these lines (going from memory, this was months ago):

1. Move all faulty tracks to a single folder.

2. Run this action in MP3Tag:

3. Mass-convert all the resulting images to PNG using Irfanview. This bloats the filesizes a bit; if that bothers you, you can convert back to JPEG and modify the next step accordingly.

4. Run this action in MP3Tag:

A bit of a pain to get set up and working right, but probably faster than doing it by hand if you have a lot of albums.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bongo Bill posted:

Let's spitball ridiculously outlandish predictions instead of all this metavriskachat.

Here's one. It is possible that, due to ontological paradoxes and ectobiological origins, Sburb players are not actually humans (trolls, cherubs, etc.), only resembling them. If this is true, it would imply that Dad is adopted, which would at any rate explain how he is exactly the same in both universes despite being the son of Jane in one and John in the other. Of course, if they're not ordinary humans, then what are they, apart from special?

They're game abstractions. They're on the same level of existence as carapace folk, consorts, and even underlings, to an extent. Think about it. They're created by the game, just like the others. They're probably just as much a result of the unimaginably powerful random number generators behind Sburb as their lands, titles and aspects, and everything. Hell, the game probably creates them to fit everything as much as it creates everything to fit around them.

Hey, this is actually kind of mind-blowing :stare:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Something I was wondering: has there ever been, in the hundreds of thousands of words in Homestuck, any indication that any of these kids go to school?

There isn't really anything to indicate that they didn't (with obvious exceptions like Jade, Jake, Dirk and Roxy). The entirety of acts 1-5 took place over a single day, it could've easily been a holiday or something.

Even if it wasn't, anything that stopped them playing the game would result in a beta timeline, so paradox space would see to it that meteors dropped on their schools or whatever else would ensure they had the day off.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It was 4:13 in the afternoon on the west coast when the comic started, so school was probably over by that time. The Alpha launch took place on Veteran's Day, so school was probably out for the day for B2 as well.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I don't they have ever mentioned it in comic, but Dave's blog that Andrew made way back when seems to imply that Dave goes to school. Specifically the SWEET CRED part:

quote:

also hes not too keen on homework and i cant say i blame him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Olivia42 posted:

The Alpha launch took place on Veteran's Day, so school was probably out for the day for B2 as well.

But then why was there mail service? :tinfoil: